• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon |OT| Where You Are the Pokemon

Joqu

All these positive impressions are making the wait real hard for me, I really feel like playing a new PMD game right now. :|

Battlechili

Banned
I beat it! Man, what a game. I loved it. Definitely my game of the year, now that everything is said and done. The fact that the end credits
were of your character sitting under a tree sobbing while the credits rolled was depressing as heck, and the post-game beginning hasn't fixed that so far. I LOVE it. Its about time to get a truly bittersweet ending.
PMD anime when?

Overall, I got a game over a total of 4 times, so all in all this wasn't as challenging as I thought it'd be. Just gotta abuse those items. Not sure if I liked all of the game mechanics in comparison to what was in Red Rescue Team, but this DEFINITELY has Rescue Team beat on the story side of things. Oh, and in my post-ending hype I went out and bought Explorers of Sky. I guess I'm going to be playing that one next since I missed out on it all those years ago.
Beat it.

No. You can't separate true bros like that. :(
;_;
This was your first PMD game right? What did you think, overall?
There is at least one major boss fight in this game which should satisfy you.
I will say I wound up disappointed on this front. Well, sort of. I didn't NEED it and loved some of the boss fights, but I still never got a single point where it was just little kids as little kids fighting legendaries with no help. But that's okay. I didn't need that.

Gonna pick up this game along with Xenoblade with the best buy promotion starting tonight, is this game worth it Ive read really good reviews on it

RockmanBN

Just finished the game as well. Felt that I was very low leveled around the end being only level 23. Thank goodness I found a bunch of reviver seeds at the final dungeon or that would have sucked.

leroidys

I feel like I'm losing it, but despite having about zero interest in Pokemon as a franchise, this game looks very appealing to me. How are people finding the length and challenge level?

Pokemaniac

I feel like I'm losing it, but despite having about zero interest in Pokemon as a franchise, this game looks very appealing to me. How are people finding the length and challenge level?

Length is pretty par for the series. You're probably looking at somewhere over 20 hours or so to finish the story, plus more if you want to get all the Pokemon (which isn't nearly as grindy this time around).

The difficulty is kinda all over the place though. While some of it comes down to the random elements, there are undeniably some pretty big difficulty spikes. Overall, the game is rather challenging, and demands smart usage of the tools that it gives you.

Alright, PAL release is a bit over a month off.

So how is it? Better than previous games? Do the Pokemon models look nice and everything, are there fun dungeons to collect all the legendaries in and stuff like that?

Pokemaniac

So how is it? Better than previous games? Do the Pokemon models look nice and everything, are there fun dungeons to collect all the legendaries in and stuff like that?

It's a significant improvement over Gates to Infinity. It's one of the more difficult entries, though part of that is because they really expect you to use items really effectively.

The game is also significantly less grindy than previous entries, thanks to the revised mission structure. 100% completion at least seems achievable, though I'm still far from reaching it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
EU reviews are out; I will post some Italian ones:

Wiitalia.it: 6.5

Multiplayer.it: 8.3

Eurogamer.it: 7

Everyeye.it: 8

Pretty different feedbacks. I've found the game schizofrenic with a pretty tough difficulty level alongside very dumb (or targeted to a young target age group) dialogs and narrative, a too ripetetive combat system and a gameplay too based on items/equipment management rather than actual combat skills. All the Pokemons available and a good graphics work (at least it's in 3D, without big framerate issues, unlike...the main episodes LOL ) aren't enough for me.

Kinsei

Banned

It's the best one IMO. The biggest negative is the wonky difficulty curve. You can be breezing through the game no problem only to hit a wall and then once you get past it the game is a breeze again until the next one.

Battlechili

Banned
So exciting. Europe and Australia are going to get to enjoy the game soon! Just 2 more days! :D
and a gameplay too based on items/equipment management rather than actual combat skills.
Aren't being able to properly prepare before a dungeon and knowing what items to use when combat skills in their own right?
Its certainly better than Red/Blue Rescue Team and Gates to Infinity, but your mileage may vary on whether or not its better than Explorers of Sky.

JoeM86

My cover plates came today

Cbar71-WIAEztp7.jpg:orig

Granted there's no way in hell I'm going to play the game again in English, but still.

The game is also significantly less grindy than previous entries, thanks to the revised mission structure. 100% completion at least seems achievable, though I'm still far from reaching it.

It's the best one IMO. The biggest negative is the wonky difficulty curve. You can be breezing through the game no problem only to hit a wall and then once you get past it the game is a breeze again until the next one.

So exciting. Europe and Australia are going to get to enjoy the game soon! Just 2 more days! :DAren't being able to properly prepare before a dungeon and knowing what items to use when combat skills in their own right?Its certainly better than Red/Blue Rescue Team and Gates to Infinity, but your mileage may vary on whether or not its better than Explorers of Sky.

Think I'll pick it up then. Probably not at launch as I'm playing through Digimon now, and I want to get through Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest VI next, but some time in the year :p

Pokemaniac

My main question: What is the point of evolving pokemon if you can connect with evolutions?

It's really largely pointless in this game. You'll still want to evolve your player character and partner, but there isn't much reason to do anything beyond that.

Battlechili

Banned
It's really largely pointless in this game. You'll still want to evolve your player character and partner, but there isn't much reason to do anything beyond that.
I'd argue that the way these games are that they'll make you not want to evolve you and your partner. Which is fine really, since as he said you can just recruit and use evolved forms later on.

got my game a day early as always, started playing it earlier this afternoon. Gives a much better impression in the first hours then the previous game, I'm so happy to play a good PMD game again.

Robin64

Oh yeah, forgot this came out today in Europe! It's a busy for period for 3DS, and RPGs in particular, but I think I can make some time for this game.

Joqu

Game's not messing around so far and I'm not far in, I'm surprised! I played some Sky during the wait for this and while the difficulty in this isn't anything new to the series I do feel like like Super's start has been more brutal in comparison to Sky. I like it though, it's nothing good item use can't handle. Just gotta remember not to hoard them. >>

Who are you all playing as? I went with Snivy with a Riolu as its partner. First time I don't have a Pikachu in my team.

Oh yeah, forgot this came out today in Europe! It's a busy for period for 3DS, and RPGs in particular, but I think I can make some time for this game.

Really is packed when it comes to RPGs, I don't have the time for all this! I'm happy I haven't gotten around to beating Bravely Default yet, it gives me an excuse to wait out some on Second.

My copy is delayed because Amazon is having trouble getting copy in.

That sucks. Mine arrived just fine although I didn't order from Amazon, but I did see a local store here had stock issues too. As in, they didn't get a single copy. I guess it's getting a pretty small print run here?

Robin64

Who are you all playing as? I went with Snivy with a Riolu as its partner. First time I don't have a Pikachu in my team.

Won't be picking it up for another few hours, but looking at the selection.. I absolutely can't decide. I pretty much love all starters, so this is like picking a favourite child. Guess I'll see what the test gives me and go with that.

I know I could have just chosen the Pokémon I wanted after the quiz but I was happy to see I got the 2 I wanted on my first try, without ever looking at anything online.
Froakie and Chimchar, aka team glass cannon

Joqu

By the way Joe, if you're reading this, I haven't been able to test if they work for the EU version yet but you're missing a whole lot of wonder mail codes on your site that are out there. Unless you only add them if they're officially released of course, but looking at the numbers I wouldn't be surprised if they skipped a lot of them here.

Won't be picking it up for another few hours, but looking at the selection.. I absolutely can't decide. I pretty much love all starters, so this is like picking a favourite child. Guess I'll see what the test gives me and go with that.

Hmm yeah. Partner's really energetic in this one so I'm pretty happy with my choice, I feel like it's quite fitting. But I pretty much love all of them too.

Except for Chikorita of course :p

Joqu

It seems people have spotted a change with the EU one already: The hero is always male while the partner Pokémon is always female

Well you don't select any gender in the US version either. The cute/cool question did affect the Pikachu tail, so I'm surprised they'd change that.

For what it's worth I haven't come across any gender-specific pronouns for either of Pokemon so far but I'm playing in English. Who knows how it works in all the other translations.

My girlfriend is playing it and says she picked her partner's gender. The options are 'cool' or 'cute' and mean male and female respectively.

That doesn't change the writing as far as I'm aware. Just Pikachu's tail (in the US version?).

Robin64

Well you don't select any gender in the US version either. The cute/cool question did affect the Pikachu tail, so I'm surprised they'd change that.

For what it's worth I haven't come across any gender-specific pronouns for either of Pokemon so far but I'm playing in English. Who knows how it works in all the other translations.

My girlfriend is playing it and says she picked her partner's gender. The options are 'cool' or 'cute' and mean male and female respectively.

From the GameFAQs posts:

I just started playing the game and when I had to choose my partner, it said "Partnerin" which is the female version of partner in German language. By the way, it doesn't matter if you chose 'cute' or 'cool'. No problem with this, I thought so far, but then when I met her in the village and she asked me: "Are you the son of Nuzleaf?"

I'm just about to start my game, and whether I select the Cool or Cute option, it seems like Leader Pikachu is always male and Partner Pikachu is always female. You can tell by the tail tip.

Joqu

Yeah the Cool / Cute thing not doing much is normal but the Pikachu thing isn't. Guess they butchered the German translation then, I know it's hard to stay neutral in certain languages but that's a really dumb oversight. Do wonder if Pikachu's tail is fixed in all languages though.

Gates had similar issues from what I hear. Even in English. I'm just hoping they completely avoided that this time in the English translation, but I don't know if it's any different from the US one anyway. If it isn't it should be good. But it definitely said Nuzleaf's kid in English here for example, not son or daughter.

Question, how do you get the 3DS home menu theme? I remember it being announced in a Direct but I've not seen any indication it comes in the box. I assume it's only if you buy it on the eShop on your receipt?

Berordn

Question, how do you get the 3DS home menu theme? I remember it being announced in a Direct but I've not seen any indication it comes in the box. I assume it's only if you buy it on the eShop on your receipt?

For NA copies at least, it was a code in a little pamphlet in the box.

I remember playing Red Rescue Team and not being able to get past the dungeon where you're leveled down to 1 and can't bring a partner. Has anybody ever beaten that?

Berordn

When can I start revisiting dungeons? Also, I really hate the pushing mechanic, doesn't make much sense to me as to why it exists.

You have to finish the intro chapters, but it's not long. A little longer than the other games start to give you free reign, admittedly.

Top Bottom