• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon |OT| Where You Are the Pokemon

TrickRoom

Sitting just shy of the final dungeon, ready to end this tonight.

I have never wiped so far in my playthrough but man did
Yveltal give me a good scare.

"We've got our evolutions, and mythical legendaries on our side! Bring it on!"

*Yveltal opens with Oblivion Wing on turn 1*

"oh, crap."

With the items I had, I managed to confuse him and make him fire the death ray in all directions. It was such a messy battle that I barely got out of thanks to confusion RNG.

In hindsight, I probably should've also waved that Truant Wand at him since even though the effect tends to not work on bosses, Dark Aura would've at least been neutralized and we probably would'nt have had to worry about getting 2HKO'd.

Everything leading up to this climax has been amazing presentation-wise. For those of you yet to get there, be sure to turn 3D on.

khaaan

I'm glad I didn't cancel my pre-order for this, this is the first Mystery Dungeon (Pokemon or otherwise) I'm playing and there's a lot to like over here. I'm not too hot on rogue-likes in general but the Pokemon IP and cute story really do a lot to draw me in.

Do you guys scour the entire floor before moving on? That's how I've been playing even though most occasions don't yield anything substantial. I tell myself it's worth it for the experience points. Combing through each floor takes so much time but I don't mind too much, my real issue is that there's a lack of quick-save functionality as far as I know. I don't necessarily have the time to go through the ~9 floors the game currently throws at me in one go and dropping 555p for a save tile for every dungeon could be a lot depnding on the money situation later on. I can't imagine what it'll be like when/if the game starts giving an increased number of floors. Right now I'm making due with the 3DS's sleep/rest functionality but sometimes I want to fire up another game :(

I'm enjoying the story too even though I'm a ways into Chapter 6 and not much has really happened. I think it's because it's Pokemon in a story situation I'm not used too and it feels like a breath of fresh air even though alot of characters/events aren't exactly breaking the mold.

Pokemaniac

I'm glad I didn't cancel my pre-order for this, this is the first Mystery Dungeon (Pokemon or otherwise) I'm playing and there's a lot to like over here. I'm not too hot on rogue-likes in general but the Pokemon IP and cute story really do a lot to draw me in.

Do you guys scour the entire floor before moving on? That's how I've been playing even though most occasions don't yield anything substantial. I tell myself it's worth it for the experience points. Combing through each floor takes so much time but I don't mind too much, my real issue is that there's a lack of quick-save functionality as far as I know. I don't necessarily have the time to go through the ~9 floors the game currently throws at me in one go and dropping 555p for a save tile for every dungeon could be a lot depnding on the money situation later on. I can't imagine what it'll be like when/if the game starts giving an increased number of floors. Right now I'm making due with the 3DS's sleep/rest functionality but sometimes I want to fire up another game :(

I'm enjoying the story too even though I'm a ways into Chapter 6 and not much has really happened. I think it's because it's Pokemon in a story situation I'm not used too and it feels like a breath of fresh air even though alot of characters/events aren't exactly breaking the mold.

That strategy will likely give you trouble in later dungeons as things get more difficult. Enemy Pokemon will continue to randomly spawn, it increases your chances of being randomly screwed over, and it can put strain on your item resources.

Also, not sure if this mechanic returned or not, but, in older games, there was a limit to how many turns your could spend on a floor.

khaaan

Well, I've already run into situations where I look at my inventory and think "There's no way I can make it more than a couple more floors" so I guess that should have been an indication that I should stop. I don't know if there's a mechanic that prevents me from taking too long on a floor, I haven't seen one yet. Though there was this one time I was walking back and forth at a shop, examining prices because I wasn't sure if I needed anything when a bunch of Pokemon from all sides entered and I got destroyed :(

Probably could have made it out if I would use my wands for once....

Berordn

In hindsight, I probably should've also waved that Truant Wand at him since even though the effect tends to not work on bosses, Dark Aura would've at least been neutralized and we probably would'nt have had to worry about getting 2HKO'd.

Re: lategame boss;
Truant wand actually works perfectly on all the enemies in that fight. It eliminates Dark Aura and Yeveltal actually suffers from truant like normal. Add paralysis and confusion and you've got a boss that's lucky to get a single move in.

TrickRoom

Just completed the story... and I thought I was out of the woods with all of these plot twists.

When that one-line reveal from the partner came up, I promptly put my 3DS down and did a complete backtracking of everything involving the partner. I don't think anyone could've seen that coming, but holy moly did it make sense to everything down to the partner's past and personality. It's only 30 minutes later that I decide I'm finally ready to advance the text.

This is the first PMD I've played where the ending didn't overtake me with sadness.

I don't know what to feel, really. But I sure am feeling a whole lot of something.

I am near the end, but I also don't have much more time to play this week. I really want to know what you guys are talking about. I've encountered the first plot twist, and I think it was semi-obvious. I did get sad when (Mid-game spoilers)
you left the village. If I knew about Nuzleaf being evil, I probably wouldn't have gotten sad, xD.

Pokemaniac

Well, I've already run into situations where I look at my inventory and think "There's no way I can make it more than a couple more floors" so I guess that should have been an indication that I should stop. I don't know if there's a mechanic that prevents me from taking too long on a floor, I haven't seen one yet. Though there was this one time I was walking back and forth at a shop, examining prices because I wasn't sure if I needed anything when a bunch of Pokemon from all sides entered and I got destroyed :(

Probably could have made it out if I would use my wands for once....

Yeah, this game is all about being efficient, especially since the standard attack (the thing you do if you just press A) has been nerfed to the point of near-uselessness. Strategic use of items is very important, even more so than in previous games.

Also, the mechanic I was talking about is how, at least in the older games, after spending a lot of time on a single floor, you would get ejected from the dungeon after a series of warnings starting with "Something's stirring...". I don't think the mechanic still exists in Super Mystery Dungeon, but it was pretty difficult to trigger in the first place, so I'm not 100% sure that I haven't just not run into it.

Just completed the story... and I thought I was out of the woods with all of these plot twists.

When that one-line reveal from the partner came up, I promptly put my 3DS down and did a complete backtracking of everything involving the partner. I don't think anyone could've seen that coming, but holy moly did it make sense to everything down to the partner's past and personality. It's only 30 minutes later that I decide I'm finally ready to advance the text.

This is the first PMD I've played where the ending didn't overtake me with sadness.

I don't know what to feel, really. But I sure am feeling a whole lot of something.

OK, I just need to get this out of my chest.

I was spoiled the ending of the main story by a PUN.

You see, I was watching a Lets Play of this game on Youtube. I was only watching the beginning of the game before I got the chance to play it. I stopped watching at the (Spoilers)
part with the school ghost.
After that, I played it until I passed that part and felt like watching the Lets Play again because the Youtuber was entertaining.

The very next video I watched after I stopped, I decided to see some of the comments because:
1. Some of them are funny.
2. I like too see people speculate.
and 3. I was never really spoiled by Youtube comments, since most people give a PROPER WARNING (usually all caps)

This comment was directed at the Youtuber and called the spoiler an "indirect pun" and said "You will see eventually." Which is fine I guess, but the pun was so obvious that anyone could figure it out. If you want to know the pun it was (SPOILERS don't read if you want to avoid them)
"Your partner is really aMewsing me in this series"

I know I only have myself to blame, but they gave such an awful warning, if only they called it a spoiler rather than an "indirect pun" I wouldn't have to put up with what I did. I spent the rest of the game waiting for this to happen, everything I saw was just leading up to that moment. Even though there were still some genuine twists, I couldn't shake that one spoiler out.
(MORE SPOILERS)
"Oh, Legendaries are being turned to stone? Maybe they'll target my partner, because he's Mew."

"Oh, the scarves have powers? It's because he's Mew."

"Oh, he can read ancient text? It's because he's Mew."

"Oh, I was summoned by an ancient Poke'mon? It's my partner, because he's Mew."

"Oh, the scarves were MADE by Mew? That's why he had them, because he's Mew."

"Oh, it's my partner's battle to fight? It's. Because. He's. MEW."

"I'm Mew" "I know..."

I had the naive hope that it wouldn't be an end game spoiler, but it was. Why did it have to be the end when to video was so early? Why couldn't it just be the next chapter? Why couldn't they use the proper spelling so the pun wouldn't be so easy to figure out?

So TrickRoom, I wish I had your experience, I wish I put my 3ds down, I wish everything fell into place at the end instead of the beginning, I wish I could say I didn't see it coming a mile away. It's a shame, because I like the game, but it I could have liked it more.

Okay, I feel slightly better now.

TrickRoom

Yeah, for whose who are still playing it's a really good thing to stay blind until the very end. Spoiling is just not worth it.

I'm sort of glad there hasn't been that much buzz on this game. Having just come off of Undertale, the social media regarding that game was a nightmare to avoid. I've found it to be a good rule of thumb to stay off youtube for any kind of game I anticipate.

Best use of Gold Bars? Do you lose them if you faint in a dungeon?

No. There isn't even a way to deposit them.

Unison

I'm really tempted to get this... I liked but didn't love the first PMD on DS. How does this compare to that one? Has the formula been improved at all, or is it mostly the same?

How long is a run through and how much endgame content is there?

I'm really tempted to get this... I liked but didn't love the first PMD on DS. How does this compare to that one? Has the formula been improved at all, or is it mostly the same?

There's a ton of endgame content, since by the end of the game you'll maybe have around 100 pokemon you've connected with, and you can connect with all 720 pokemon, plus multiple forms for many of them, including just gender alternates for some pokemon

Berordn

Far superior to the first PMD, closer in quality to the second. Formula's not drastically changed, but there's enough quality of life additions and refinment to the formula since the first one that it still comes out feeling a little fresher, to me at least.

A run through the story seems to be 20-30 hours, but there's oodles of endgame content, particularly if you're a completionist.

...okay, I'll bite.

The game has a standard $39.99 MSRP like virtually every other 3DS release. What premium?

This isn't me trolling or anything. There is only so much money to go around for the holidays and games. But even if I wait, at most the game will go down $5 in price like it did for BF. There are some games I'm willing to shell out the full amount for easily. But this is my first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and I am not willing to pay the full amount when I have other games waiting to be bought.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anyone else find it funny that
Dark Matter
totally resembles
Yami
from
Okami
?

Joqu

This isn't me trolling or anything. There is only so much money to go around for the holidays and games. But even if I wait, at most the game will go down $5 in price like it did for BF. There are some games I'm willing to shell out the full amount for easily. But this is my first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and I am not willing to pay the full amount when I have other games waiting to be bought.

Game just released though, I don't think that's a valid complaint just yet. :p

But you might want to look for an old DS PMD game in that case? You'll spend less money and you'll find out if you're into the series~

Berordn

Anyone else find it funny that
Dark Matter
totally resembles
Yami
from
Okami
?

There's no actual resemblance but the music for phase two reminds me a lot of
The Sun Rises
. Something about that sudden shift in tone to a upbeat and encouraging piece.

khaaan

ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Quitting from a rescue doesn't only get rid of items you collected that run, but everything you have in your bag!? aarrggh :(

What am I supposed to do if at the end of a rescue I accidentally say that I don't want to leave? I used an escape orb the first time but this time I didn't have one. The only thing I can think of is keep on climbing until I find a shop and/or rest spot.

Battlechili

Banned
wut
I didn't see this one coming
EM4ffeg.jpg

Kinsei

Banned

Quitting from a rescue doesn't only get rid of items you collected that run, but everything you have in your bag!? aarrggh :(

What am I supposed to do if at the end of a rescue I accidentally say that I don't want to leave? I used an escape orb the first time but this time I didn't have one. The only thing I can think of is keep on climbing until I find a shop and/or rest spot.

At that point you have to finish the dungeon.

EDIT: Also I'm sure you know this but if it says that there may be something further in the dungeon then that means there's another Pokemon in there you can recruit. If you do this you'll get another chance to leave.

You get a second chance to leave when you hit the stairs of that floor. If you go on after that, you have to finish.

Battlechili

Banned
That
Jirachi
boss fight was fun. Out of nowhere, but fun. Dat' music.

A friend of mine told me to prepare for
heartbreak
. I already got hit hard with feels when I
left town and read all the townspeople's letters.
I'm not sure I'm ready for what's to come.

Grexeno

I think I see why people say these games are hard.

It's because stuff you have no hope of beating is randomly mixed in with stuff you actually can at complete random.

Battlechili

Banned
I think I see why people say these games are hard.

It's because stuff you have no hope of beating is randomly mixed in with stuff you actually can at complete random.
I dunno about that. If you have the right items with you and come well prepared into a dungeon, you should be able to take on anything. Reviver seeds and Totter Orbs are your best friends.

Grexeno

I dunno about that. If you have the right items with you and come well prepared into a dungeon, you should be able to take on anything. Reviver seeds and Totter Orbs are your best friends.
This specific mission wants me to take on a Blastoise, an Octillery, and a Golem at once. The Golem is a huge bitch because he has Magnitude. Basically, the only way I'm beating this one is to fill my inventory with literally my entire supply of Reviver Seeds, which I really shouldn't need to do.

Battlechili

Banned
This specific mission wants me to take on a Blastoise, an Octillery, and a Golem at once. The Golem is a huge bitch because he has Magnitude. Basically, the only way I'm beating this one is to fill my inventory with literally my entire supply of Reviver Seeds, which I really shouldn't need to do.
Oh my. Actually, that team is from Red/Blue Rescue Team. Didn't know they were in Super.
Do you have any supplies that petrify units? You could always bring along some higher leveled Pokemon, use a totter orb to buy time, and then petrify Golem while you take on the other members and leave him for last. Alternatively, you could take him on first. There are a number of supplies besides Reviver Seeds you should be able to use to take them down though. Blast Seeds are also typically more powerful than normal attacks, so they should be able to help take out those Pokemon faster.

Grexeno

Oh my. Actually, that team is from Red/Blue Rescue Team. Didn't know they were in Super.
Do you have any supplies that petrify units? You could always bring along some higher leveled Pokemon, use a totter orb to buy time, and then petrify Golem while you take on the other members and leave him for last. Alternatively, you could take him on first. There are a number of supplies besides Reviver Seeds you should be able to use to take them down though.
I have two Petrify Orbs and wands of all varieties. I honestly didn't think of going after the others first.

Battlechili

Banned
I have two Petrify Orbs and wands of all varieties. I honestly didn't think of going after the others first.
Might be better to do that if he's giving you the most trouble, as long as you can keep him petrified for a while. As long as you don't touch him he'll stay petrified for a few turns, giving you time to fight the others. Using blast seeds and some of the more useful wands (confuse wands, petrify wands, and blast wands in particular, along with the ones that warp enemies when you need them to stop being up close) should allow you to quickly take the others out while Golem is still.

EDIT: It may be worth noting that Super has the biggest emphasis on item usage in the series, and the others (to my awareness) don't push them on the player as much.

Grexeno

And then I go to Showdown Mountain and the regular enemy Pokemon are one shotting me.

Did they even TRY to establish a difficulty curve here?

Col.Asher

When I first started playing this I was expecting the difficulty of the earlier games, then I got to the salamance fight. This game really likes to punch you in the dick sometimes, like when I was getting 1HKO'd by bullet seed... on the first hit.

TrickRoom

I'm playing the Postgame Meowth Theatre dungeons...

Shedinja sure has an ominous role when it comes to these dungeons...

Grexeno

The Yveltal fight is utter trash. Impossible. You can't even use items since it shrugs off everything immediately.

Battlechili

Banned
Entei is edgy as heck. Just beat him.
I kinda wish the fight didn't go the way it did though. In Red Rescue Team, you were two baby pokemon going up the ranks and taking out legendary after legendary. But in this game, it always seems like you're just two team members getting lucky and you never seem to fight legendaries that haven't already been weakened or
were just Pokemon pretending to be legendaries or you evolved randomly to take them down
. I wanna be two kids kicking butt, but that never seems to be the case.

Pokemaniac

Entei is edgy as heck. Just beat him.
I kinda wish the fight didn't go the way it did though. In Red Rescue Team, you were two baby pokemon going up the ranks and taking out legendary after legendary. But in this game, it always seems like you're just two team members getting lucky and you never seem to fight legendaries that haven't already been weakened or
were just Pokemon pretending to be legendaries or you evolved randomly to take them down
. I wanna be two kids kicking butt, but that never seems to be the case.

There is at least one major boss fight in this game which should satisfy you.

Seriously contemplating picking this up or Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight.

Has anyone played both and want to tell me which they think is better?

Kenai

I have played most of the other games in the series.

This is by FAR my favorite. Really enjoying myself. Graphics are colorful. Music is catchy. partner AI is not near as obnoxious as before (this was a big one for me, they are positioning themselves tactfully!) new items are interesting, connection system is enjoyable, and the difficulty is reasonable. I don't feel like I am being babied.

I just
"evolved to fight Entei. So awesome

Top Bottom