• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon |OT| Where You Are the Pokemon

Seil

Did the developers forget Wigglytuff's gender? That's obviously the guildmaster from Explorers and it was a guy but in this game he is now a she?

Ampharos changed genders between the Japanese and English versions for some reason from what I've heard. So not surprising to me lol.

Seil

I always understood Ampharos to be a guy, actually, and I was playing the Japanese version. >_>

I dunno, I've just seen multiple people refer to Ampharos as a she in the past. Hence the "from what I've heard". But I obviously don't have first hand experience.

Very disappointed at the list of Pokemon you can be (no Meowth, come on man). Will probably pick this up sometime this month of possible.

Same. I mean, it's a really big list, but it's really boring for a Mystery Dungeon starter roster imo.

I dunno, I've just seen multiple people refer to Ampharos as a she in the past. Hence the "from what I've heard". But I obviously don't have first hand experience.
I saw that too and checked. Only thing I could really find was a translation of a scan on Reddit that used "she", but nothing in the scan suggests that Ampharos was a "she". I think people just rolled with that translation and assumed it was correct.

Same. I mean, it's a really big list, but it's really boring for a Mystery Dungeon starter roster imo.

I wouldn't even say it's a big list since you're still using a fire/water/grass starter, with Pikachu and Riolu thrown in. At least in the GBA/DS version, you had more variety in Pokemon, even with genders.

Seil

I wouldn't even say it's a big list since you're still using a fire/water/grass starter, with Pikachu and Riolu thrown in. At least in the GBA/DS version, you had more variety in Pokemon, even with genders.

Well I mean, the lack of variety doesn't change the size of the list lol. It's still 20 Pokemon which is more than all but Explorers of Sky which was kind of an enhanced/third version anyway. But yeah, the variety is definitely lacking like I said, it's boring.

JoeM86

Well I mean, the lack of variety doesn't change the size of the list lol. It's still 20 Pokemon which is more than all but Explorers of Sky which was kind of an enhanced/third version anyway. But yeah, the variety is definitely lacking like I said, it's boring.

They feel the need to include all starter Pokémon, and unfortunately there are 6 more than during the times of Explorers so they had to take some from other Pokémon.

i was Skitty in Blue Rescue Team and my partner was Squirtle. I was Shinx in Explorers of Sky and my partner was Riolu . Then for Gates I was Snivy and my partner was Pikachu.

Skitty was probably my favorite because it's different, but I liked Shinx too. sigh.

Dunno who I'd pick this time. Maybe just go with Snivy again.

For anyone on the fence, this is more of a return to form for the series. I wasn't very fond of Gates to Infinity compared to Explorers of Sky. Visually, the game is very pretty and the 3D is great. I'm also enjoying the character writing a lot, and there are tons of nods and throwbacks to the previous games in the series. The connections system is downright addicting as well which makes it really fun to recruit new members and explore the overworlds and continents.

The only downside I'd have to give from what I've played is the level distribution for the Pokemon you recruit. Early on you're given a mission to fight a Pokemon that can be quite difficult to defeat as it is many levels above your team. If you defeat it though, you recruit it and suddenly you have a level 50 Pokemon you can bring into dungeons with you compared to your ~level 15 starters. To me it kind of breaks the flow of the game, but it's entirely optional to bring these Pokemon with you, so you can always choose to ignore them like I did. Sometimes though you'll do a mission and get blindsided from a powerful Pokemon and it almost seems like the game is telling you to bring one of these OP guys with you, which I don't really want to do. So there are odd difficulty spikes here and there, but nothing outrageous.

I definitely recommend the game though, it's been excellent so far

This alone is great because I sorta refuse that other game exists. Will try to pick it up today!

Is this the best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game so far? I've only dabbled in the series, having played a tiny bit of the original, Mystery Dungeon Blue on the Nintendo DS (which I found lacking, but really liked the concept), and a demo of Gates to Infinity, which I had the same problem with.

Do the Mystery Dungeon games get more complex/in-depth as you progress?

Also, I heard you can recruit absolutely every single Pokemon in this one. Is that true? If so, how does that work in regards to fitting really large Pokemon on the screen? Has it done away with the tile-based system?

Seil

Is this the best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game so far? I've only dabbled in the series, having played a tiny bit of the original, Mystery Dungeon Blue on the Nintendo DS (which I found lacking, but really liked the concept), and a demo of Gates to Infinity, which I had the same problem with.

Do the Mystery Dungeon games get more complex/in-depth as you progress?

Also, I heard you can recruit absolutely every single Pokemon in this one. Is that true? If so, how does that work in regards to fitting really large Pokemon on the screen? Has it done away with the tile-based system?

I have a feeling there'll be a split between people that think this or Explorer's of Sky is the best.

You can indeed recruit all 720 currently released Pokemon in this game(Though I think Hoopa is a bit unique). As for size, every Pokemon still takes up a single tile, however bigger ones can have larger hitboxes. I'm not sure if that applies to Pokemon under your control or not, but for example Onix has a 3x3 tile hitbox for your attacks, but it's able to move through 1x1 corridors.

Gothos

For anyone on the fence, this is more of a return to form for the series. I wasn't very fond of Gates to Infinity compared to Explorers of Sky. Visually, the game is very pretty and the 3D is great. I'm also enjoying the character writing a lot, and there are tons of nods and throwbacks to the previous games in the series. The connections system is downright addicting as well which makes it really fun to recruit new members and explore the overworlds and continents.

The only downside I'd have to give from what I've played is the level distribution for the Pokemon you recruit. Early on you're given a mission to fight a Pokemon that can be quite difficult to defeat as it is many levels above your team. If you defeat it though, you recruit it and suddenly you have a level 50 Pokemon you can bring into dungeons with you compared to your ~level 15 starters. To me it kind of breaks the flow of the game, but it's entirely optional to bring these Pokemon with you, so you can always choose to ignore them like I did. Sometimes though you'll do a mission and get blindsided from a powerful Pokemon and it almost seems like the game is telling you to bring one of these OP guys with you, which I don't really want to do. So there are odd difficulty spikes here and there, but nothing outrageous.

That is some really bad game design....

Seil

That is some really bad game design....

Using a Pokemon that greatly outlevels you will result in it being locked away for multiple missions afterward, unusable. And as for the more difficult fights, they're honestly generally not that bad if you just make use of the many items the game throws at you. A couple wands here and there can go a long way.

There are occasionally random enemies that can one-shot you though and you have to figure out how you're going to deal with them, but again your items can turn the tide.

So, apparently, NoA only went halfway in fixing their bizarre gender choice omission from Gates to Infinity:

In a way, no. You can choose your partner's gender, but not your own, and neither you nor your partner are referred to with any gender pronouns. It's a bit lame, since male is the default gender, having a female Pikachu or other starters with female gender differences as the player isn't possible, only the partner.

Granted, it's a half-step forward, but what the bloody hell, NoA?!

Then again, since the EU version is coming much later and NoE usually does their own translations these days, I'm hoping they fix this little fuckup.

Picked this up on a whim since I remembered liking the first one in the series. Liking it so far, very cute game in general and the dungeon exploration is fun.

Wish the starting Pokemon had more options though! Not enough fun type combos there for you and your partner. Oh well.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's the Grandia Letter scene all over again. :(

Really like though how this game has a good sense of progression that the others kind of lacked. I mean, the plot picked up, but
in this one actually leaving the main town and journeying to a whole new, larger hub world got me hyped as fuck. And then you've got all these new mechanics like Treasure Boxes and Gold Bars.

JoeM86

So, apparently, NoA only went halfway in fixing their bizarre gender choice omission from Gates to Infinity:

Granted, it's a half-step forward, but what the bloody hell, NoA?!

Then again, since the EU version is coming much later and NoE usually does their own translations these days, I'm hoping they fix this little fuckup.

NOA has nothing to do with it. It's how the game is. Gender is irrelevant in this game and outside the "Cool" and "Cute" options which help determine dialogue pronouns for the partner, has no impact on your character at all

Picked this up on a whim since I remembered liking the first one in the series. Liking it so far, very cute game in general and the dungeon exploration is fun.

Wish the starting Pokemon had more options though! Not enough fun type combos there for you and your partner. Oh well.

Yeah, it is a shame about that. Luckily you unlock missions at Chapter 6 I think and you can combo types much better. I got around 30+ just doing missions in-between story moments. It also seems your partner gets more moves than you do. I want to replace Smokescreen so bad but nothing learned at level 18.

Using a Pokemon that greatly outlevels you will result in it being locked away for multiple missions afterward, unusable. And as for the more difficult fights, they're honestly generally not that bad if you just make use of the many items the game throws at you. A couple wands here and there can go a long way.

There are occasionally random enemies that can one-shot you though and you have to figure out how you're going to deal with them, but again your items can turn the tide.
Yeah, it seems the level 50s need lots of rest, which makes you less prone to abuse them. A team of around level 30 tends to be fine.

Joqu

By the way, there's no DLC in Super is there?

Why does this game have almost no reviews?

PMD has its following, but it just isn't very popular within the mainstream media. Add to that that review copies were apparently sent quite late and you get next to no reviews. So it seems like Nintendo's banking on word of mouth for this one instead.

To be fair with this game that's probably not a bad idea. People seem to be really into it compared the last game, Gates to Infinity.

NOA has nothing to do with it. It's how the game is. Gender is irrelevant in this game and outside the "Cool" and "Cute" options which help determine dialogue pronouns for the partner, has no impact on your character at all

Seriously? Forgive me for being sceptical, considering the English version of Gates to Infinity omitted gender choices entirely despite being in previous PMD games. Just seems like a weird thing for the devs themselves to change.

JoeM86

Seriously? Forgive me for being sceptical, considering the English version of Gates to Infinity omitted gender choices entirely despite being in previous PMD games. Just seems like a weird thing for the devs themselves to change.

If memory serves this was the same in Gates to Infinity. Couldn't decide yours but could your partner.

Though it has been 3 years since I played it.

Joqu

Thankfully not. They learned their lesson.

Good. I didn't buy any of it but the DLC in Gates looked ridiculous. Grinding DLC I don't mind to ignore but overpriced exclusive Pokemon and challenge dungeons that should have been in the main game? No thanks.

JoeM86

Good. I didn't buy any of it but the DLC in Gates looked ridiculous. Grinding DLC I don't mind to ignore but overpriced exclusive Pokemon and challenge dungeons that should have been in the main game? No thanks.

There were no Pokémon exclusive to DLC dungeons in Gates

I feel like this is good, but right when things get going it throws you into a brick wall. I'm on the mission for Axew, and it's just...why would you do this to me? I feel like I actually need to go and do other areas to grind for items, which I dunno just feels weird for this kinda game.

Does anyone know if the text speed was improved from GTI? I remember the text speed for GTI was insanely slow and made me almost quit the game mid-way.

I feel like this is good, but right when things get going it throws you into a brick wall. I'm on the mission for Axew, and it's just...why would you do this to me? I feel like I actually need to go and do other areas to grind for items, which I dunno just feels weird for this kinda game.

PMD has always been a bit grindy. I remember having a hard time in some levels until I grinded a few lower dungeons to level up and buy more berries and orbs from the town.

Very disappointed at the list of Pokemon you can be (no Meowth, come on man). Will probably pick this up sometime this month of possible.

I was Meowth in Explorers, with my bro Charmander. It's too bad Meowth isn't in this one.

This time I think I might do Riolu with a Froakie buddy or something like that. Just have to get around to buying the game.

Seil

I have yet to feel the need to grind =/ Salamence went down with a Confuse Wand, two revive seeds and a beatdown for me. I've yet to hit a wall and haven't done any grinding, yet I have more items than I could possibly need at this point in the game lol. It's certainly a bit more challenging than I expected of a PMD game but it's yet to be what I'd consider difficult, but time will tell.

Joqu

There were no Pokémon exclusive to DLC dungeons in Gates

Oh. I was under the impression the starters you didn't pick were exclusive to their respective DLC dungeons but I never bothered to go after them in Gates so I'm happy to know that's wrong.

Pokemaniac

Oh. I was under the impression the starters you didn't pick were exclusive to their respective DLC dungeons but I never bothered to go after them in Gates so I'm happy to know that's wrong.

No, they were just available earlier with the DLC dungeons.

Kinsei

Banned
Does a point ever come before the post game where they stop forcing story progression onto you? I currently have seven different connection quests active that I'd love to do, but they're forcing me to move on and it's kind of annoying.

I get that they don't want people grinding but I just wanna make some friends.

Pokemaniac

Does a point ever come before the post game where they stop forcing story progression onto you? I currently have seven different connection quests active that I'd love to do, but they're forcing me to move on and it's kind of annoying.

I get that they don't want people grinding but I just wanna make some friends.

I'm pretty sure that there's no point before the credits where story missions don't come at set intervals. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you can do the first two post-game missions at your own pace.

Tidalwave

I'm pretty sure that there's no point before the credits where story missions don't come at set intervals. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you can do the first two post-game missions at your own pace.
Once I started the post game stuff I was forced to finish it.

Kinsei

Banned

That's a shame. At least I already have befriended over 30 Pokemon (currently in chapter 10) so it's not like I'll ever have a shortage of Pokemon at my disposal.

Pokemaniac

Once I started the post game stuff I was forced to finish it.

Well, yeah, but you don't have to start it right away. Though I remember the second one working similar to the first.

I'm not entirely convinced that I'm done with post-game content, though. There's still a suspicious cloud on my map.

My copy finally came in the mail today. I just started so I haven't done anything yet, but the personality quiz gave me who I was going to pick anyway, that being Totodile. It gave Tepig for my partner, but I went with Fennekin instead. Why did Tepig have Flamethrower while most of the other starters only had Ember? It seems like a couple starters had really good moves, while others had basic moves.

Kinsei

Banned
My copy finally came in the mail today. I just started so I haven't done anything yet, but the personality quiz gave me who I was going to pick anyway, that being Totodile. It gave Tepig for my partner, but I went with Fennekin instead. Why did Tepig have Flamethrower while most of the other starters only had Ember? It seems like a couple starters had really good moves, while others had basic moves.

Probably because they had better overall coverage. Tepig's only other offensive moves are Tackle and Heavy Slam so it really needed a good fire move.

Top Bottom