• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon UltraSun/UltraMoon (9/22) Trailer: Mantine Surfing, Photo Club, Island Trials

Forkball

POKEDAY KEEPS COMING
DKVO3VfVwAA3OOT.jpg

The video highlights a few new features such as Mina's trial, alterations to trials that appeared in Sun/Moon, the Photo Club where you can pose with your Pokemon and take pictures, plus Mantine surfing that allows you to travel between islands and do sick tricks.

Site info:
Mantine Surfing
170922_05-media.jpg

In Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon, you'll be able to have fun with Mantine Surf, a sport that lets you do some surfing while riding on Mantine's back. Mantine Surf isn't just a way to get between islands—it's also a sport where you compete for the highest score by pulling off different cool moves! Try to become a top-notch Mantine Surfer by riding Mantine like a pro!

Photo Club
DKVRVnYVAAIDzWJ.jpg

ake all sorts of photos with the Pokémon you like at the brand-new Alola Photo Club! You choose the Pokémon to appear together with you in the photo, as well as your outfit, the background, camera angle, and more, so you can take the perfect picture. Get an amazing photo with your favorite Pokémon—and show it off to your friends!

After the shoot, you'll be able to decorate your photo with frames and stickers. You'll also be able to show other players the photos you took through communication features.

Taking a photo with a Pokémon also makes that Pokémon more affectionate toward you. As their affection toward you increases, your Pokémon will try to do even better than usual during battles. Strengthen your bonds with your Pokémon!

Island Challenges
sland Challenges Revisited

The island challenge is a ritual passed down in the Alola region. Its intention is to help children grow into full-fledged Pokémon Trainers. To complete the island challenge, you must face trials on each of four islands.

Some trials in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon seem to play out in different ways than they did in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.
170922_06-media.jpg

170922_04-media.jpg

170922_04-media2.jpg

Official Site

Fireblend

Banned
I'm skipping this one but the Mantine Surf thing looks like a fun diversion. The other stuff doesn't seem different enough from the first game to keep my attention.

Mantine Surf seems fun, but I’m a little disappointed that it’s just another way to go between islands rather than, say, a new diving mechanic.

Was hoping they’d tweak the trials more than they have, though, and everything they’re showing of the Lillie plot thus far seems damned near identical to Sun and Moon.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I assume there is zero chance of new Alolan forms in these games?

Danielsan

So I'm count of out of the loop on this game. Are these just Sun & Moon with some extra content thrown in, kind of like Yellow, Crystal and Emerald, or are these notably different experiences?

Aleh

I assume there is zero chance of new Alolan forms in these games?

They even added brand new Pokémon, so I doubt new Alolan forms are impossible at this point.

That said, man it's becoming harder for me to try skipping this game. But I can't say no to Lillie and that Mantine minigame is rad.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So I'm count of out of the loop on this game. Are these just Sun & Moon with some extra content thrown in, kind of like Yellow, Crystal and Emerald, or are these notably different experiences?

It's an "ultra" version of SM. The same basic game with a few bells and whistles.

it's those games but Gamefreak split them in two to make more money

Weebos

Banned

So far they seem to be like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, etc.

Digital0Reality

Neo Member
Thanks guys. Guess I'm cool with skipping these games. Just seem like cash grabs to me. I don't care one bit about mini games and minor tweaks.

This is now I feel, I used to be on board when you could get the combined version like emerald or crystal, but splitting it into 2 games is a major turnoff. Or maybe I just am tired of the resolution on the 3DS after getting a switch....

Crayolan

Holy shit is that a modern version of fuckin' Pikachu surfing?

Did they give Hau more Pokémon? There is a shot of him in that one country looking down where he has four Pokémon already and I'm pretty sure he didn't at that point.

Every third version has a slightly increased difficulty from the original pair, so this should be expected.

Delio

Holy shit is that a modern version of fuckin' Pikachu surfing?

Every third version has a slightly increased difficulty from the original pair, so this should be expected.

Considering the general feelings around these games it was not expected

GoldStarz

I've wanted to surf between Islands since the region was rumored to be Hawaii, so the Mantine surf PokeRide is a happy medium for those who want to avoid another Hoenn

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
After more effort being put into Gen 5's follow-up and Gen 6 skipping the revisit altogether, I didn't expect their generic 3rd version model to make a comeback.

Really really hoping for some non kanto alolan forms.

Who wants to bet that Mantine mini game thing will run like shit according to that screenshot?

Ultimadrago

More Mina is good.

Mantine surfing looks like it'll get old quick, but a fun idea.

Photo Club type stuff, as always, looks eh.

Berordn

I was not expecting Surfing Pikachu to make a comeback.

After more effort being put into Gen 5's follow-up and Gen 6 skipping the revisit altogether, I didn't expect their generic 3rd version model to make a comeback.

It didn't, now there's TWO third versions.

Top Bottom