• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon UltraSun/UltraMoon (9/22) Trailer: Mantine Surfing, Photo Club, Island Trials

Mantine surfing feels like something that'll show up after you beat the Pokémon League, like soaring in the sky in ORAS.

Something pretty pointless compared to actually flying to a location.

It's weird. I'm into Pokemon for the adventure. I definitely liked Sun/Moon over XY and ORAS (storywise), but I only put 50 hours into Sun/Moon compared to 300 or 200 for XY and ORAS and that was due to the latter having such a great and accessible multiplayer. I couldn't bother with Sun/Moon on that front.

Once again, single player here looks ace, but I can't expect them to put PSS back in US/UM if they want it to connect seamlessly with S/M. So I'm really on the fence with this. If it can pull a Black 2/ White 2 and give me 100 hours of single player stuff to do, I'm there.

Hopefully Mina will have a bigger role because damn, she needed waaaaaay more involvement in the main story.

I like Mina, but did she? That girl couldn't give a fuck about the main story.

Jacobson

This is now I feel, I used to be on board when you could get the combined version like emerald or crystal, but splitting it into 2 games is a major turnoff. Or maybe I just am tired of the resolution on the 3DS after getting a switch....

Eh, I just get the upgraded game of the version I didn't get. Since I got Sun, I'll be getting Ultra Moon.

PsionBolt

Mantine surfing feels like something that'll show up after you beat the Pokémon League, like soaring in the sky in ORAS.

Something pretty pointless compared to actually flying to a location.

Soar wasn't post-League; you got it before the last badge. It was super useful, if only because you didn't need to have a flier in your party; I didn't use Fly a single time after getting Soar.
They obviously won't let you skip to any island with Mantine surfing, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could do it quite early on, just limited to islands you've visited (same as Fly).

LotusHD

Banned
Hopefully Mina will have a bigger role because damn, she needed waaaaaay more involvement in the main story.

Pretty sure that was the point, to leave her for this game. Also frankly, she looks like she could care less about her involvement lmao

GoldStarz

Soar wasn't post-League; you got it before the last badge. It was super useful, if only because you didn't need to have a flier in your party; I didn't use Fly a single time after getting Soar.
They obviously won't let you skip to any island with Mantine surfing, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could do it quite early on, just limited to islands you've visited (same as Fly).
If the trailer from last time is any indication, you can get it as early as the first island

Yukinari

Mantine surfing is cute.

Snapshot mode is whatever considering youd want higher quality images for a mode to share images with friends.

Might be the first traditional pokemon game I skip since....ever. I honestly just can't imagine myself willingly going back to my 3ds for such little changes. If anything this makes me realize it's about time I find some kid to give my stuff to even though I will be screwed if pokebank goes to switch and I don't have this thing.

GoldStarz

Might be the first traditional pokemon game I skip since....ever. I honestly just can't imagine myself willingly going back to my 3ds for such little changes. If anything this makes me realize it's about time I find some kid to give my stuff to even though I will be screwed if pokebank goes to switch and I don't have this thing.

Love that maturity right there. Be sure to only play stuff within your targeted demographic because anything outside of it is definitely too young for you.

Carl7

Great. One of the most nonsense things about SuMo is that it features almost no water sections despite being set in an archipelado. 400+ pokemons is pretty good too.

Right. Too late in the game to really matter.

I don't see how that's super useful at all. Fly is just one move, out of what, potentially 24 you can have on you? Not a big deal to have it on you. I barely used Soar aside from the legendary hunting cause it takes longer to do what Fly does already. Activate the eon flute, watch Lati@s transform, load, show up in the sky, get your bearings and find the place you want to land, watch Lati@s drop you off, load, done.

You are right, they could have it earlier and just leave it for islands you already have access to, though I'm still not sure what the point of it would he besides being a minigame when you have Charizard Fly.

Forkball

I missed this part of the site update.

As you explore Alola in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon, you'll meet Pokémon new to the region that didn’t appear in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. You'll see some familiar faces, too.

Over 400 Pokémon appear in the Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon.

There are Pokémon that have adapted to the Alola region’s unique environment and become regional variants, which look different from the same species in other regions. They’ll be returning from their appearance in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

Houndoom will appear in tall grass in Pokémon Ultra Sun. In those same patches of grass, Manectric will appear in Pokémon Ultra Moon!
170922_02-media.jpg

No Alolan Butterfree, worst game of all time confirmed.

New Alolan forms is the thing I want most, but the game is less than two months from release and we haven't seen any at all. That would be the first thing I would lead with, hopefully there are still some big secrets left.

GoldStarz

Right. Too late in the game to really matter.

I don't see how that's super useful at all. Fly is just one move, out of what, potentially 24 you can have on you? Not a big deal to have it on you. I barely used Soar aside from the legendary hunting cause it takes longer to do what Fly does already. Activate the eon flute, watch Lati@s transform, load, show up in the sky, get your bearings and find the place you want to land, watch Lati@s drop you off, load, done.

You are right, they could have it earlier and just leave it for islands you already have access to, though I'm still not sure what the point of it would he besides being a minigame when you have Charizard Fly.

I imagine you'll have to do that at least once for each time you set off to a new Island. Also, I looked at the trailer again, and there's a cutscene with Hau cheering you off from the surfer beach being added to the first island, so unless you do backtracking in the game, you're definitely getting it pretty early on.

I missed this part of the site update.

No Alolan Butterfree, worst game of all time confirmed.

New Alolan forms is the thing I want most, but the game is less than two months from release and we haven't seen any at all. That would be the first thing I would lead with, hopefully there are still some big secrets left.

Wasn't Butterfree already in SuMo though? I doubt any Pokemon that was already in the dex that didn't have an Alola Form is getting one now.

JoeM86

This is now I feel, I used to be on board when you could get the combined version like emerald or crystal, but splitting it into 2 games is a major turnoff. Or maybe I just am tired of the resolution on the 3DS after getting a switch....

You do know you don't have to buy both, right?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
All I want to know is if we have a National Dex. I can't believe how much that made me not want to play more of SM.

I doubt it very much. Probably that will return in the Switch version when hopefully Pokemon Bank will be integrated into the game.

Love that maturity right there. Be sure to only play stuff within your targeted demographic because anything outside of it is definitely too young for you.

Huh?

I didn't say pokemon or the 3ds is just for kids. I've played a shit ton of both. I'm playing a ton of my switch and will likely play a ton of switch pokemon whenever it comes out as long as it doesn't look awful.

I'm not sure how the switch is more in my demographic than the 3ds besides that it's newer/more expensive. Not that you would know my demographic unless you read through my post history compiling details like a creep.

I just don't like keeping my old crap around, and I typically donate or give it to a kid so that someone can get some use out of it instead of rotting in my basement, or having to deal with craigslist or gamestop for a couple of bucks.

What a weird reaction

GoldStarz

Huh?

I didn't say pokemon or the 3ds is just for kids. I've played a shit ton of both. I'm playing a ton of my switch and will likely play a ton of switch pokemon whenever it comes out as long as it doesn't look awful.

I'm not sure how the switch is more in my demographic than the 3ds besides that it's newer/more expensive. Not that you would know my demographic unless you read through my post history compiling details like a creep.

I just don't like keeping my old crap around, and I typically donate or give it to a kid so that someone can get some use out of it instead of rotting in my basement, or having to deal with craigslist or gamestop for a couple of bucks.

What a weird reaction

My bad, I misinterpreted what you said. Sorry!

Meh.

Mina actually doing her damn job is nice at least.

I mean, she was still trying to be a trial captain in SuMo, she just hadn't come up with what she wanted her Challenge to be yet. Besides, I doubt she can be a Trial Captain for very long anyway, there's no way she isn't in her late teens at the very least.

Toxi

Banned
That's a good idea. I'm a bit of a pack rat when it comes to keeping my old stuff, but at some point you need to ask yourself "Am I going to keep getting enjoyment out of this?"

VegiHam

Yeah, when I was 11 Emerald was so hype cus it had groudon and kyogre fight and rayquaza save the day, with both evil teams involved. Felt like the definitive real story. Same with Platinum. Makes me kinda sad that we won't see solgaleo and lunala have an epic battle with necozma involved. Just two parallel stories again.

That's a good idea. I'm a bit of a pack rat when it comes to keeping my old stuff, but at some point you need to ask yourself "Am I going to keep getting enjoyment out of this?"

The only consoles I've taken back out after putting them away.

- Psp (homebrew/emulators)
- Dreamcast

Everything else just rotted until I tossed it or gave it to my friend who basically hoards game shit.

Started giving stuff away when the 360/ps3 to ps4 etc switchover happened and I'm super happy I don't keep stuff around anymore.

ryan13ts

I won't lie, I'm pretty disappointed Trials are coming back, I just didn't care for them at all and would rather just have standard gyms back in place. All I can hope for now is that it's post game, which would actually be rather awesome but I highly doubt that'll happen. Also, we really, REALLY need more Alolan forms or this will feel like too much of a retread of S/M.

That surfing looks amazing though.

MicH

Mantine Surfing is cool, awesome to finally see Mina's trial, more Pokemon always great.

Still not feeling it, though. They still haven't shown me anything that sells the game to me.

I want to know what Game Freak's intention with the two versions is this time. With Black 2 and White 2 they clearly wanted Black and White owners to get the respective logical sequels as the follow up. Is it the same here? Does it matter? I wonder if there'll be anything transferable like a memory link despite these not being sequels and instead being just new takes on the same games.

BTA

Eh this stuff's neat but I was really hoping for more to differentiate it from the prior versions; this isn't selling me on it being worth buying at all.

If anything I'd just go back and finish Sun at this point.

Fj0823

"We could've added a National Dex, but here have some 240p Photo Studio you'll use twice."

Everything else looks good

Crayolan

I want to know what Game Freak's intention with the two versions is this time. With Black 2 and White 2 they clearly wanted Black and White owners to get the respective logical sequels as the follow up. Is it the same here? Does it matter? I wonder if there'll be anything transferable like a memory link despite these not being sequels and instead being just new takes on the same games.

Didn't BW2 sell better than the average 3rd version? They saw that and were like "guess we're doing that for now on."

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Their intention is to make money.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I kind of want Ultra Sun, but I'm gonna wait a few days/weeks until after people have played through it. I mainly want to hear how or if they expanded on the last island and post-game. I really enjoyed Sun, but that's where it's biggest flaws laid.

CazTGG

Probably the latter. It was hard enough pulling myself back to the 3DS when the Vita was around. With the Switch providing HD console gaming experiences on the go...it's a constant struggle to keep one's eyes on such a low resolution screen, not helped by the fact that Pokémon games on the system aren't well optimized even on the New variants.

Thanks guys. Guess I'm cool with skipping these games. Just seem like cash grabs to me. I don't care one bit about mini games and minor tweaks.

Based on everything they've shown so far, this looks to be a sequel to Sun and Moon, in the way that Black 2/White 2 were, set after those events.

No mention of Team Skull, Lillie is in her post-game outfit and she's holding a Pokèball, new villains, Hau's running an island challenge. I don't think comparing it to Yellow is fair.

We're probably looking at a world map that's 80% the same with some new areas to explore that may have been cut off last time.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sweeeet, the new trailer got me all excited though seeing Tyranitar being in the revamped Pokédex is making me go back to the drawing board as I want to use him on my team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzd3c7ASejE

Japanese trailer, has some different stuff

Oh cool Hau has four Pokémon in Paniola Town a major step up from Sun and Moon when he only had a pitiful two and I was rocking with five-six Pokémon.

Here's hoping that this will apply to all the trainers in Alola plus a few more as I felt that Sun and had the fewest trainer count and them having only two Pokémon each didn't help.

Japanese trailer shows Torracat following Hau in the overworld lol...

Damn it Game Freak, what do I have to get you to bring back the Pokémon follow me feature?

You do know you don't have to buy both, right?

We...don't?!<(o_O;)>

Nah it just feels wrong not buying both at this point, but then again I am okay with it.

I mean, she was still trying to be a trial captain in SuMo, she just hadn't come up with what she wanted her Challenge to be yet. Besides, I doubt she can be a Trial Captain for very long anyway, there's no way she isn't in her late teens at the very least.

With Mina being a trial caption and we get to do her trial, I wonder if Ilima will get replaced in Sun and Moon as he hasn't appeared in the animé and in the game he was a student of the Pokémon School.

Based on everything they've shown so far, this looks to be a sequel to Sun and Moon, in the way that Black 2/White 2 were, set after those events.

No mention of Team Skull, Lillie is in her post-game outfit and she's holding a Pokèball, new villains, Hau's running an island challenge. I don't think comparing it to Yellow is fair.

We're probably looking at a world map that's 80% the same with some new areas to explore that may have been cut off last time.

It isn't a sequel as one of the screenshot showed Lillie in her default outfit.

Crayolan

Literally nothing has hinted towards this.

And there are some scenes shown which are exactly the same as in SM. It's just an enhanced version.

Top Bottom