• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon UltraSun/UltraMoon (9/22) Trailer: Mantine Surfing, Photo Club, Island Trials

GoldStarz

Literally nothing has hinted towards this.

And there are some scenes shown which are exactly the same as in SM. It's just an enhanced version.
I'd say it's kinda a mix. It's clearly not a sequel but I think it's definitely an alternate take. We've seen four trials are returning (Grass, Fire, Electric, Ghost) but with the exception of (I think) the Grass trial, all of them seem to have been revamped with the Fire trial even having a totally different Totem Pokemon.

That's not even getting into the story changes and additions that the poster and Necrozma hint at.

Why is Hau mad now? He almost never broke a smile in S/M
He looks more serious than mad to me.

You know I would be excited for the photo mode if it wasnt for the shit resolution of the 3DS. Whats the point?

Also watch as Pokemon Switch doesn't have a photo mode.

Can I skip Sun & Moon then?
You can skip any Pokemon game for its "3rd" version, they're just alternate takes on the originals. Black and White 2 are only ones that are sequels, but even then you don't need to have played the originals.

I really hope there's more content in here or else I think I may pass. New Alola forms, at least.

Same. Its really feeling the least expanded of all the 3rd version Pokemon games. Doesn't help BW2 really set the bar. Im waiting for that big change or the reveal of more Alolan forms (specifically non Kanto).

Berordn

Yeah, keeping my fingers crossed for some new Alolan forms.

If they can make whole new Pokemon for 3rd versions you'd think Alolan forms would be a given...

But we're rushing headlong to release and the way they word it makes it sound like we're not seeing anything but the old ones.

While the Mantine surfing is cool, the only thing that might really interest me in this would be performance upgrades, since parts of S/M could draaaaag. But given that it needs to work on an OG 3DS, that's unlikely.

Bubble

Neo Member
The Poke Photo seems like another filler feature (Sun and Moon had way too much filler crap clogging the menu and the game), so this will probably fit right alongside other crap like Poke Pelago, Poke Amie, Poke Festival, etc.

The Mantine Ride looks nice... but I'll probably use it once, and stick with using Lapras/Sharpedo/Charizard.

At least they expanded the PokeDex. Makes me want to start fresh in Ultra Sun, and start over again in Sun. Decisions, decisions...

Atrarock

Why is Hau mad now? He almost never broke a smile in S/M
vbZbIBb.png

a6QBsoYl.png
He's a pretty happy guy but he did have some >:c here and there with some shocked faces.

I have to agree that I'm not sure what the big justification for this game is. I've purchased all the "third version" games but this looks exactly like regular Sun/Moon with some different Pokemon and a couple gimmick game modes. I'm hoping there's some big twist, like they finally confirm the parallel universe stuff they've been hinting at for several years.

Weren't we supposed to be getting Diamond/Pearl remakes? Did they get delayed to the Switch? It almost feels like this is a filler game Game Freak released because their actual 2017 release got delayed or something.

Delio

I have to agree that I'm not sure what the big justification for this game is. I've purchased all the "third version" games but this looks exactly like regular Sun/Moon with some different Pokemon and a couple gimmick game modes. I'm hoping there's some big twist, like they finally confirm the parallel universe stuff they've been hinting at for several years.

Weren't we supposed to be getting Diamond/Pearl remakes? Did they get delayed to the Switch? It almost feels like this is a filler game Game Freak released because their actual 2017 release got delayed or something.

We wernt supposed to be getting D/P remakes. Where did you even hear that from?

I'm expecting the third act to be turned on its head at least. We already know from the trailers that
Nebby is possessed by Necrozma, and I can't really see him wanting to help you and Lillie get to Ultra Space.
There's also the people in silhouette at the top of the key art to consider.

The important thing is, is that the only relevant plot change?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Speaking of Hau, I wonder if his dad will make an appearance in the game as he was briefly mentioned at the end of Sun and Moon.

Also I wasn't aware that Mantine would actually let you surf from Island to Island, this is great as previously the Islands didn't really feel connected.

There is no reason for me to buy this.

There was no reason for you make that post but okay thanks for letting us know.

No, we knew that that Sun and Moon would get another game as they pretty much teased it in Sun and Moon.

The Sinnoh remake probably won't happen till gen 8.

The Pokémon Company have making little teases here and there and with Masuda saying that they will continue with remake plus the fact that Sinnoh is the next in line to get the remake treatment.

But I suspect that it will be part of gen 8 after they have released the first two core games on the Switch sometime around late 2018/2019.

There are a number of references/homages to Sinnoh in Sun and Moon, similar to those found in previous games that eventually foreshadowed remakes. I believe (and JoeM86, correct me if I'm wrong) that Serebii also indicated on this forum, back during the "Pokemon Stars" rumor heyday, that he heard a DP remake was next.

No, we knew that that Sun and Moon would get another game as they pretty much teased it in Sun and Moon.

Sun and Moon teased some sort of sequel or continuation, which isn't what this appears to be. This looks more like the standard "same game with a different ending" that we got with Emerald and Platinum.

This seems like a real cash grab. Ugh. Give me an actual reason to buy this game. It's not different enough. I'm kind of tired of Game Freak's third version nonsense. I'd almost rather just have them put more resources on making the next game better. But... $$$$$$$

Griss

Genuinely surprised at how little effort appears to have gone into these. Not a chance I'd pick one of these up.

GoldStarz

This seems like a real cash grab. Ugh. Give me an actual reason to buy this game. It's not different enough. I'm kind of tired of Game Freak's third version nonsense. I'd almost rather just have them put more resources on making the next game better. But... $$$$$$$

Genuinely surprised at how little effort appears to have gone into these. Not a chance I'd pick one of these up.

See:

--

He probably means a full sequel in the vein of B2W2.

I mean from what we've seen it looks like a mix of that and Platinum. Like I said earlier, almost every trial we've seen looks redone and there are new areas and new plot lines in play.

So now we're just making stuff up in our heads and running with it.

Taking a photo with a Pokémon also makes that Pokémon more affectionate toward you. As their affection toward you increases, your Pokémon will try to do even better than usual during battles. Strengthen your bonds with your Pokémon!

So how exactly will they try harder? I think this has almost always been a thing in Pokemon, but I don't see the difference between a pokemon that's neutral or happy with you.

Not

Banned
Whoaaaaa surfing minigame

That's way better than Charizarding everywhere

So how exactly will they try harder? I think this has almost always been a thing in Pokemon, but I don't see the difference between a pokemon that's neutral or happy with you.

In Sun and Moon, maxed affection Pokémon can withstand KOs, score critical hits and even expel status changes by themselves randomly.

brinstar

Starting in XY if you bond with your Pokemon a lot in the Amie mode it will gain effects in battle like enduring a KO with 1 HP left or dodging attacks in a pinch or shrugging off status effects

Whoaaaaa surfing minigame

That's way better than Charizarding everywhere

In Sun and Moon, maxed affection Pokémon can withstand KOs, score critical hits and even expel status changes by themselves randomly.

Starting in XY if you bond with your Pokemon a lot in the Amie mode it will gain effects in battle like enduring a KO with 1 HP left or dodging attacks in a pinch or shrugging off status effects

Oh, so it's a new thing! That's cool. I hope the games a little harder with that so you'd need it.

Mantine surfing is the first thing they've shown that has actually made me go "Oh, that's a cool addition!"
Still not feeling this game, please show me some new Alolan forms.

Smasher89

A Malasada nurf would make me cancel my pre-order immediately.

Im happy to tell you, that in japan there was some place that have the preorder bonus of malasada and pokeballs iirc!

Finally Raichu will be able to learn surf maybe (predicting lt.surge as a random trainer in the surfspot concidering his raichu could surf in stadium 2 (japanese 2, english 1)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You know I wouldn't worry about this trailer straight-up deconfirming the chance of Johto Alola Forms like some thought...outside of Mantine, iirc the Johto Pokemon we see in the new one are Mareep, Tyranitar, and Houndoom.

Though it's not an "official rule", judging by the Pokemon who got Alola Forms in S/M it seems reserved for Pokemon that hadn't been touched with a post-Gen evolution or Mega Evolution. Mareep, Tyranitar, and Houndoom all have a Mega Evolution at the end of their line and thus they likely wouldn't have gotten an Alola Form in the first place, because then there'd have to likely be a Mega Alola Form.

So, though I feel like they would've shown off additional Alola Forms by now, I do feel it interesting at the Johto Pokemon they chose to showcase...and with the release of G/S on the VC they seem the likely candidates to get ones next since the originals are now "fresh" in people's minds.

Top Bottom