• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon VGC 2016 Ruleset - Up to 2 legendaries allowed per team

The hell? I'm all for allowing more legendaries into the pool of usable Pokemon, but this is just going to result in everyone running Rayquaza and Groudon. What is TPCi thinking? Do they want to turn VGC into Ubers?
No, worse. Mega Rayquaza was so powerful that Smogon banned it even from Ubers.

ffdgh

The hell? I'm all for allowing more legendaries into the pool of usable Pokemon, but this is just going to result in everyone running Rayquaza and Groudon. What is TPCi thinking? Do they want to turn VGC into Ubers?

Ubers with a sprinkle of anything goes lol.

Firemind

RNZQJU.gif

giphy.gif

Mythicals are event only legends. Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus, Victini, Genesect, Keldeo, Meloetta, Hoopa, Diancie and
Volcanion

Most major tournaments are streamed via Twitch.

Thanks and I was specifically wondering how one streams a handheld system? I know there will be a live audience. Would they just be looking at two people who have their heads down looking at their 3DS?

JoeM86

I'm psyched. Going to try and get a workable Zygarde 50% Forme before it's rendered completely useless
Thanks and I was specifically wondering how one streams a handheld system? I know there will be a live audience. Would they just be looking at two people who have their heads down looking at their 3DS?

Capture devices sending the footage to a computer

JoeM86

What a joke.
Lol at pokemon competitive play, everyone using broken shit.

Everything has a counter, my friend. Such is the nature of Pokémon.

And by the time Worlds comes around, I do question how many will still be using Mega Rayquaza.

Primal Groudon is the true threat in this metagame

SOul dew ban (and mythical) are most likely because they aren't normally available in game, not because they're too strong

Soul Dew is available in game. It's banned because it acts as Choice Specs and Assault Vest with no drawbacks. It's one of the only things that has ever been banned due to being overpowered.

Toxi

Banned
And by the time Worlds comes around, I do question how many will still be using Mega Rayquaza.

Good thing people can (and will) use both!
Soul Dew is available in game. It's banned because it acts as Choice Specs and Assault Vest with no drawbacks. It's one of the only things that has ever been banned due to being overpowered.
That's a laughable argument when shit like Primal Groudon is legal this time around.

Or do you seriously think those Pokemon weren't banned for being overpowered?

Paltheos

I've never followed VGC, but afaik allowing the 670+ BST crowd is a first, and allowing Mega Ray is... well, it's my understanding that the difference between Mega Ray and all other pokemon is comparable to the gap between RBY Mewtwo and the rest of RBY. Not using it is unequivocally a mistake, in a team-based game with hundreds of usually viable choices. It's just not fair. I'm gonna look more into this later.

Whalermouse

Neo Member

How do you figure? I imagine many teams will adapt to Groudon by running Earthquake on Mega Salamence.

Yep

The most interesting thing mega Ray brings to the table in vgc though is making duel mega teams more viable, since you could just not mega evolve Ray and it's still super viable with no drawbacks

How do you figure? I imagine many teams will adapt to Groudon by running Earthquake on Mega Salamence.
Who'd use mega salamence when mega rayquaza is so much better?

And primal groudon is amazing in doubles because it's weather will boost other pokemon's viability as well

huh what? no it isn't, it comes with the Eon ticket, which is event-only

That's a laughable argument when shit like Primal Groudon is legal this time around.

Or do you seriously think those Pokemon weren't banned for being overpowered?
Actually, they probably weren't. TPC seems to only ban Mythicals, Cover Legends and Mewtwo under normal circumstances. I think it's probable that if Groudon and Rayquaza were not Cover Legends then they wouldn't have been banned last year ethier.

JoeM86

The Red Orb is an item boost. Kinda like the Soul Dew.

You know what Pokemon does have a free item slot with sky high stats though? Mega Rayquaza.

Red Orb changes form but it does not give any stat boosts.

huh what? no it isn't, it comes with the Eon ticket, which is event-only

It was still banned in Gen V when you could just find it in the Dreamyard.

Toxi

Banned
Red Orb changes form but it does not give any stat boosts.
THE FORM CHANGE IS A STAT BOOST

Actually, they probably weren't. TPC seems to only ban Mythicals, Cover Legends and Mewtwo under normal circumstances. I think it's probable that if Groudon and Rayquaza were not Cover Legends then they wouldn't have been banned last year ethier.
Why do you think cover legends are banned in the first place?

I'm wondering how well togekiss could work as follow me support for mega Ray. It also benefits from mega ray's ability, and unlike amoongus it won't share weaknesses after that's taken into account. especially since amoongus is weak to fire and flying which will be super prominent with primal groudon and mega Ray

Whalermouse

Neo Member
So do you think anyone will run legends other Groudon and Rayquaza? Shuca Berry Dialga might be able to wall them a little, and it can deal with those pesky Fairies. Mewtwo can outspeed and revenge kill Rayquaza with the right moves, but can't really switch into it.

So do you think anyone will run legends other Groudon and Rayquaza? Shuca Berry Dialga might be able to wall them a little, and it can deal with those pesky Fairies. Mewtwo can outspeed and revenge kill Rayquaza with the right moves, but can't really switch into it.
Sure, but they'll be the most common by far. I could also see some xerneas and primal kyogre

Wow. I expected this to mean they were going the other direction and restricting cressalia and the genies. I wonder whether this will turn out hilarioiusly or terribly.

It seems kind of bizarre to allow the monster balanced around being a jrpg final boss to become a competitive character.

Toxi

Banned
Ho-Oh seems like a hilarious partner for Primal Groudon.

Why do you think cover legends are banned in the first place?
Kyurem was still banned before B/W 2. Even when a Cover Legend happens to not be overpowered in the current metagame they are still banned, while non-cover-legends and mythicals who are too powerful stay unbanned. That indicates to me that TPC don't ban based on power.

Kyurem was still banned before B/W 2. Even when a Cover Legend happens to not be overpowered in the current metagame they are not banned, while non-cover legends and mythicals who are too powerful stay unbanned. That indicates to me that TPC don't ban based on power.
Mewtwo was banned. Legends like landorus aren't actually that much different to pseudo legends like garchomp statwise. Many are worse even

Syntsui

That ''not that huge'' boost coupled with the ability Desolate Lands makes it beyond broken. It dominates pretty much the whole meta when coupled with a few key Pokémons.

I can't believe there are people defending this bullshit. Either every single contestant will have a P-Groudon on the team or they will have to have a counter (there are only checks) for it. This tournament IS a joke.

PK Gaming

I'm talking actual stat boosts from items, not the difference in stats.

Red Orb pretty much amounts to flat boost in stats for Groudon though. It's not too dissimilar to Soul Dew.

Like minimum Special Attack goes from to 205 to 305 which is significant.

That ''not that huge'' boost coupled with the ability Desolate Lands makes it beyond broken. It dominates pretty much the whole meta when coupled with a few key Pokémons.

I can't believe there are people defending this bullshit. Either every single contestant will have a P-Groudon on the team or they will have to have a counter (there are only checks) for it. This tournament IS a joke.

It's a fun change of pace.

you act like vgc wasn't super centralized before this, but note how pretty muchc every team in the top 8 last year used some version of the CHALK setup, with all of them using mega kanghaskhan and landorus-t

JoeM86

Incidentally, there was a Battle Competition with similar rules to this earlier this year

http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4022/

What was the last VGC format to do this, 2010? 2011? I remember something similar regarding 2 legendaries.

Yep, 2010

As someone who doesn't follow professional pokemon - is this something people wanted? Is it considered a good change? Aren't some legendary pokemon basically broken?

A lot of people wanted Mega Evolution completely removed. Others wanted other legendaries completely removed.

I personally wanted this.

Red Orb pretty much amounts to flat boost in stats for Groudon though. It's not too dissimilar to Soul Dew.

You're really confusing the stat changes from an in-battle form change with stat-boosting items. They're calculated completely differently.

El Sabroso

it is NOT, is a change of the Pokemon's Base Stats not a boost like doing Sword's Dance or having the Life Orb doing more damage on top the Pokemon Base Stats capabilities, learn the difference

ffdgh

Some people just want to see the world burn....Literally. :p

Syntsui

you act like vgc wasn't super centralized before this, but note how pretty muchc every team in the top 8 last year used some version of the CHALK setup, with all of them using mega kanghaskhan and landorus-t

Just because it was shit they had to make it even worse? Come on man. At least VGC 2014 gave a chance to Pokémon like Pachirisu to shine, from there on it just got worse.

Wow... Gross. I've really enjoyed VGC rules in the past, but this just looks terrible. Just gonna be Rayquaza's everywhere. As if things weren't centralized enough.

It's a fun change of pace.
Not exactly. A significant portion of stats comes from iv and Evs, not just base stats. Soul dew multiplies that portion as well

Toxi

Banned
it is NOT, is a change of the Pokemon's Base Stats not a boost like doing Sword's Dance or having the Life Orb doing more damage on top the Pokemon Base Stats capabilities, learn the difference
Yes, I know what a stat boost technically is. Do you think that was the point of what I was trying to argue?

Would be great if Zygarde Perfect Form ends being a counter to all this other big legendaries (probably won't but still, one can dream)

PK Gaming

You're really confusing the stat changes from an in-battle form change with stat-boosting items. They're calculated completely differently.

They're different, but the end result is the same which is a boost in stats. Anyway, I think we're getting beside the point here. You argument that Soul Dew was banned because it was "too overpowered" in this format is something I don't agree with considering the proposed environment.

TPC has always banned Soul Dew iirc, so I doubt they really thought about it.

Not exactly. A significant portion of stats comes from iv and Evs, not just base stats. Soul dew multiplies that portion as well

I'm aware, i'm just looking at the big picture here. A Latios with 594 SpA isn't that scary in practice, for example.

Top Bottom