• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon VGC 2016 Ruleset - Up to 2 legendaries allowed per team

Just because it was shit they had to make it even worse? Come on man. At least VGC 2014 gave a chance to Pokémon like Pachirisu to shine, from there on it just got worse.

Like what was said already, Pachirisu probably wouldn't have worked if Japan was more prevalent that year.

They're different, but the end result is the same. Anyway, I think we're getting beside the point here. You argument that Soul Dew was banned because it was "too overpowered" in this format is something I don't agree with considering the proposed environment.

TPC has always banned Soul Dew iirc, so I doubt they really thought about it.
Yeah. It's really the same as Deoxys still being banned

I think Mega Rayquaza is overrated in this format. Like, taking up both a mega spot *and* a big legend spot? No thanks. I'm not a fan of hogs.

Like seriously, I want my Mega Kangaskhan please.

I think Mega Rayquaza is overrated in this format. Like, taking up both a mega spot *and* a big legend spot? No thanks. I'm not a fan of hogs.

Like seriously, I want my Mega Kangaskhan please.
Mega Ray can easily be used with another mega in vgc. Keep in mind you only bring 4 of 6 pokemon out in each battle, and you can simply choose not to mega evolve rayquaza if you want to use the other mega. And normal rayquaza is still great

Syntsui

P-Groudon, M-RayRay (overestimated and underestimated at the same time, it is one boost away to wreck havoc to the entire enemy's team), M-Khan, Landorus, Thundurus, Darkrai, Xerneas will probably be everyone's favorite across the teams.

P-Groudon, M-RayRay (overestimated and underestimated at the same time, it is one boost away to wreck havoc to the entire enemy's team), M-Khan, Landorus, Thundurus, Darkrai, Xerneas will probably be everyone's favorite across the teams.
Darkrai still banned thankfully since it's a mythical

Toxi

Banned
Darkrai's not allowed.

Thank Arceus.

I just saw a comment on Reddit and I never thought about it.

Thundurus with Delta Stream up has no weaknesses...lol

xgz9nkR.gif

Mega Ray can easily be used with another mega in vgc. Keep in mind you only bring 4 of 6 pokemon out in each battle, and you can simply choose not to mega evolve rayquaza if you want to use the other mega. And normal rayquaza is still great
Mega Kangaskhan is something I would be bringing almost every round. So in effect I would basically have a regular Rayquaza.

And I don't think regular Rayquaza is even worth considering as one of my two legends when things like Primal Groudon and Xerneas exist.

Mega Kangaskhan is something I would be bringing almost every round. So in effect I would basically have a regular Rayquaza.

And I don't think regular Rayquaza is even worth considering as one of my two legends when things like Primal Groudon and Xerneas exist.
I think mega Ray is better than mega khangaskhan personally. I'd personally rather use mega rayquaza and a more situational mega that can act as a counter to certain threats.

Toxi

Banned
The analysis section is hilarious.
Much like its fellow restricted Pokémon capable of Mega Evolution, Mewtwo, Rayquaza is something of a risky one-trick Ponyta. It's quick, it deals massive damage, and its mediocre defensive stats and myriad of weaknesses make it very easy to knock out.
Desolate Land is a fantastic Ability. It can help double the Speed of Pokémon with Chlorophyll, which are typically Grass-type Pokémon that can help Primal Groudon against the Water- and Ground-type Pokémon it is weak against.

The analysis section is hilarious.
The m-rayquaza one isn't completely wrong, especially in doubles. Keep in mind dragon ascent lowers both it's defenses after each use, and it's likely using life orb. The main issue is that it's absurdly good at what it does. Also keep in mind that mega Ray is a lot weaker in doubles, since even if it kills one pokemon the other can still attack it. It isn't like singles where a kill negates the threat of damage, and if the opponent protects they can avoid the kill as well

Delio

Aw Mega Ray gets to have fun. I guess you wont be able to have Battlespot battles to test your teams with that rule.

Firestorm

Just because it was shit they had to make it even worse? Come on man. At least VGC 2014 gave a chance to Pokémon like Pachirisu to shine, from there on it just got worse.
What are you talking about? The only reason Pachirisu was usable in 2014 is because the metagame was so centralized and limited. Guess what? In 2010 we had this same format as this and Parasect made Top 8 at Worlds.
Actually, they probably weren't. TPC seems to only ban Mythicals, Cover Legends and Mewtwo under normal circumstances. I think it's probable that if Groudon and Rayquaza were not Cover Legends then they wouldn't have been banned last year ethier.
If they weren't cover legends then their stats, moves, etc. wouldn't be what they are now. Don't be stupid.
Obviously, but it's easy to work around in vgc, and rayquaza is still very viable if you choose to mega evolve something else for a round
Then that means you're losing out on your secondary Legendary slot. Mega Rayquaza is extremely limiting. People in this thread are having kneejerk reactions with zero experience in the metagame or really even competitive Pokemon.

Firestorm

How was it, and was it as "broken"/"centralized" as so many people in this thread are saying?
It was only 30 battles with teams locked so hard to really get much out of it. All I got from my friend who took part was that Mega Rayquaza was underwhelming and that Primal Groudon was ridiculous as is Xerneas. I expect those two Pokemon to be what the better players gravitate towards early in the season as they try to figure out the format.

Toxi

Banned
Then that means you're losing out on your secondary Legendary slot. Mega Rayquaza is extremely limiting.
Rayquaza is a 680 BST Pokemon with 150 offenses and a relevant ability. Calling it "losing our on your secondary legendary slot" is hilarious. It's not as good as Xerneas or Primal Groudon, but it's still a monster.

Though Xerneas+Primal Groudon+Mega Khan is currently the core everyone is worried about.

Firestorm

Rayquaza is a 680 BST Pokemon with 150 offenses and a relevant ability. Calling it "losing our on your secondary legendary slot" is hilarious. It's not as good as Xerneas or Primal Groudon, but it's still a monster.

Though Xerneas+Primal Groudon+Mega Khan is currently the core everyone is worried about.
I honestly don't think enough has changed from what made Rayquaza a subpar choice before. It's a bit too frail for a Doubles environment. Extreme Speed is cool as is Air Lock but I don't see what else it really brings to the table over the other choices available.

JoeM86

How was it, and was it as "broken"/"centralized" as so many people in this thread are saying?

It was quite fun, but as Firestorm said there was only 30 battles so hard to get a good hold of things.

I used a Hawlucha in that. Did surprisingly well, managed to OHKO Xerneas, Mega Mewtwo and Primal Kyogre...though Primal Kyogre was down to a Critical Hit

I don't understand. Is there like an option to mega evolve in the menu?

The option is still there, it only appears if you have Dragon Ascent as a move.

This is not the ruleset I expected. Much more crazy.

I wonder how teams will look at regionals, nationals, and worlds. Expecting M-Rayquaza's, M-Kangaskhan's, and a Primal on dang near everyones team.

Daemul

Mega Rayray, Primal Groudon and Geomancy Xerneas in VGC.....

TPC might as well rip up their no-event Pokemon rule and add in Dark Void Darkrai and E-killer Arceus to complete the Broken-as-fuck quintet.

Hatchtag

Banned
Allow mythicals already TPC. Meloetta's like the funnest Pokemon to use and she's banned in so many tournaments. Like the Meloetta + Darkrai combo is just so much fun and no one allows it.

Sandfox

I do not see this being all that fun from a teambuilding or battling perspective. This is just going to end up making the issues people had with last year worse.

Allow mythicals already TPC. Meloetta's like the funnest Pokemon to use and she's banned in so many tournaments. Like the Meloetta + Darkrai combo is just so much fun and no one allows it.

I think that has more to do with the fact that it would be borderline impossible for some people to get them and that punishes people who bought the game after those events.

Wanace

Meh I really hate grinding for stats and natures when I catch legendaries so I guess competitive is out for me.

This is why I hate competitive Pokemon. They ban all the fun stuff so only a dozen or so Pokemon become feasible to play.

The problem is not banning enough, causing a select set of Pokemon that are clearly the best choice to overcentralize the metagame to bits.

This is obviously an attempt at shaking things up a bit while the generation winds down. It will likely manage do this in the first few months, but by the time worlds is held we will likely be in a similar spot to last time.

Theorymon

While I wouldn't personally go as far as saying Mega Rayquaza is subpar, my experience with it is that its not super ultra broken like a lot of people think either. Like its been said, Mega Rayquaza dies a LOT faster in doubles than singles, so its a lot more difficult to use effectively. Personally, I found the best use for Rayquaza / Mega Rayquaza was to pair it with another weather mon (I use it with Primal Kyogre personally). I found having that double weather control could really throw Primal Groudon for a loop!

Hell, I remember a lot of people ended up replacing Mega Rayquaza with Mega Salamence to free up a slot for another Uber. Mega Salamence also has more speed and that pre mega evo intimidate, which can really come in handy.

I totally agree with Firestorm that Primal Groudon is the best mon in this format by the way. Its bulky, got plenty of power, excellent moves like percipire blades, and that amazing ability. Hell, theres even a Specially based Groudon set you can use to knock Aegislash off its ass and prevent it from Wide Guarding while a Primal Kyogre switches in!

Theres some funky stuff in this metagame too last time I played it, such as people using Worry Seed Whimsicott to get rid of Desolate Land on Groudon. And that was just during practicing on free battle / the 30 match tournament. I'm sure theres plenty of room for this metagame to develop in interesting ways!

Firemind

*reads up on Desolate Land*

"Water-type moves fail"
:O

Primordial Sea is so much worse since Kyogre isn't x4 weak to Fire. :lol

And Primal Groudon gets STAB EQ? BAH GAWD

JoeM86

What fun stuff was banned last year? VGC2015 had very few bans. 2016 has even less.

Indeed

And a lot of stuff was workable in that. Just because a lot of people used similar stuff doesn't mean there's a lack of variety.

I commentated London regionals last month, and there was some great variety in the teams I saw.

Competed in Nationals in May, lots of cool stuff.

Top Bottom