• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon vs Digimon GAMES only

Pokemon vs Digemon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ydelnae

Cyber Sleuth was exceptional and far better than the last two mainline Pokémon games, XY and ORAS. And I can see that as a huge Pokémon fan. I haven't played played any other Digimon game other than Digimon World PSX, and I didn't like it.

Toxi

Banned
Digimon World 1 is such an oddball.

On one hand, it's immensely frustrating and confusing and I never came close to beating it. The game really fucks you over for doing anything wrong.

On the other... I haven't ever played another game like it. And I remember getting such a sense of achievement from actually overcoming the system and getting a decent Digimon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I really don't want Pokemon to have this game's presentation since it's basically the poor man's Persona, tbh.

Cyber Sleuth really let me down with the music, he Digital Shift music is the only really standout theme I've encountered. The generic battle music which you'll hear all the time is just forgettable.

Making a game that looks better than Pokemon in terms of graphical fidelity isn't a feat at this point. Not to discredit the Digimon games, just that Game Freak doesn't seem to care.
Pokemon wins in the games department.
Digimon wins in the anime department.
I thought this even as a kid.

Even as a kid I knew the Pokemon anime was a big ol ad for something I already was into.

Probably the reason I kinda stopped caring about it watching anything that wasn't movies by the time they got to Johto.

sensui-tomo

ssbk3oypnqspumltyzwx.gif

I'm biased towards digimon

Menitta

Have you played project X zone?
Edit:eek:h,i thought you said:"i don't get it"
My bad.

No, I have played X Zone 1. I didn't like it at all. X Zone 2 has Kiryu and Majima which is so tempting, but I'm still like "naaah."

So even if Red and Blue were in X Zone 3, I still wouldn't buy it.

Sandfox

Many people is tired of Pokemon formula. Cyber Sleuth is quite good. Since they are bored of playing Pokemon but CS was more fresh and up to their tastes they say it's better.

The battle system itself is nothing special (gets a bit boring near the end) and the limited budget is noticeable in some areas.

The story, while interesting, is not perfect and is badly paced at times (which can annoy people to different degrees), but Pokemon games never have that much of a story.

The graphics are good (better than Pokemon's, even with a lower budget), the Digimon models look awesome and the game has some awesome Digifanservice.

The digimon in your active party follow you in the field and each has their signature move beatifully animated (some like WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon and Omnimon have 2 signature moves). Add to that the fact that they released the game with most Digimon Adventure 1 and 2, Tamers and Savers Digimon and you have a recipe for success.

If you ever liked Digimon, the game is a joy to look at. Really. Watching my WarGreymon using Gaia Force never got old. No matter how much I had seen it before.

I don't really get how people can call Cyber Sleuth fresh unless they just didn't play any digimon game since the PS1 era or something.

Cynn

As a single game, Cyber Sleuth is ahead of all Pokemon games, without nostalgia googles. As a franchise, Pokemon is ahead.
I agree with this 100% - I'm a huge PKMN fan but Cyber Sleuth is the battle monster game I've wanted for years.

I really don't want Pokemon to have this game's presentation since it's basically the poor man's Persona, tbh.

Cyber Sleuth really let me down with the music, he Digital Shift music is the only really standout theme I've encountered. The generic battle music which you'll hear all the time is just forgettable.

Cyber Sleuth really is a poor man's Persona, somehow the dungeons and side quests are even worse

CS just reminded me of SMT Soul Hackers but not very good

I don't really get how people can call Cyber Sleuth fresh unless they just didn't play any digimon game since the PS1 era or something.

I think that's part of it. They have kinda been doing things similar to this for awhile on the DS and PSP for a hot minute, at least in the gameplay department. For some people though they said it was just better though so I don't know.

Pokemon easily. Cyber Sleuth is a pretty piss poor RPG tbh but Pokemon Company could learn a thing or two about presentation from it

You may not have liked it but calling Cyber sleuth a piss poor rpg is kinda extreme.

On topic

Cyber Sleuth blows up any recent pokemon game at the exception of maybe pokken. The last really great pokemon game were probably B/W and B2/W2.

Also yea Digimon has Omnimon

You may not have liked it but calling Cyber sleuth a piss poor rpg is kinda extreme.

I dunno man it just feels like every main story progression thing is just an over-glorified sidequest in a game with too many bad side quests already. I have zero nostalgia for Digimon so it had to hold up on the RPG end and it didn't.

Also the dungeons are terrible samey shit. I cannot stand bad dungeons, boring dungeons. Its an inferior Persona which is an inferior SMT so its 2 steps below my favorite JRPG series already.

RalchAC

Which is what has probably happened to a lot of people.

If Wikipedia doesn't lie, any of the DS games were released in Europe. Data Squad wasn't released here either.

The last Digimon RPG released here seems to be DW4. Yeah...

Menitta

Cyber Sleuth is awesome, but after I play it once, I'll never want to play it again. I'll replay the Pokrmon games any day of the week.

This might be selfish of me, but I like it that the Pokemon formula is the same every time. When a new one comes out, I know what I'm getting and I'll enjoy it every time, if that makes sense.

Jmille99

Digimon. Cyber Sleuth was far more enjoyable for me than I remember any Pokemon being. Ive come to the realization that the only reason I play Pokemon games now is because it's called Pokemon and my love for the originals.

Maybe if they could fix stuff like the forced HM moves, limited moveset, garbage (quite literally in some cases) Pokemon designs and stale formula of linear map traversal from gym to gym, I might care more.

I just cant bring myself to care about Pokemon with each new release. And the boring unengaging stories do nothing to help that either.

Pokemon for sure, if we are including spinoffs. Mystery Dungeon, Colloseum, Stadium, Conquest, Snap, Pokken...most of the pokemon spinoffs are great, and there are way more of them.

I dunno man it just feels like every main story progression thing is just an over-glorified sidequest in a game with too many bad side quests already. I have zero nostalgia for Digimon so it had to hold up on the RPG end and it didn't.

Also the dungeons are terrible samey shit. I cannot stand bad dungeons, boring dungeons. Its an inferior Persona which is an inferior SMT so its 2 steps below my favorite JRPG series already.

Dungeon design never really was a problem for me and will I do agree some side-quest were kinda bad we had quite a few good ones in exchange.

But I have been a huge Digimon fan ever since the show started so maybe my love for digimon made me overlook some things that bothered you.

Edit: Also you may call digimon dungeon shitty but pokemon games have never been so plain and linear then in the recent games. I couldn't bother playing more then the main story in ORAS.

Ranmo

Well I'd personally pick Digimon.
But realistically Pokemon has way more good games then Digimon has good games.
However I'd say that the Digimon games that are good are way better then the good Pokemon games.

PsionBolt

It's Pokemon, and it's really not a contest, but I'll take this as an opportunity to highlight how unsatisfied I am with my latest PS1 pickup.
Just compare these images. The winner is clear: Pokemon TCG and its sequel are the undefeated champs of the TCG-RPG genre. I've played every game in the genre that I can possibly get my hands on, and the only real competition I've found for Pokemon is the Card Fighters Clash series on Neo Geo Pocket Color. I was pretty excited wen I recently found out that a Digimon card game RPG existed, but it hasn't been worth my time so far -- overly simplistic, far too random, and heavily unbalanced, with only bare-bones menus in between the repetitive battles.

The only Digimon game I ever played was some PS1 game that reminded me of final fantasy. Pokemon just always felt right, man. Also not a fan of every damn creature's name in Digimon ending with 'mon'

Cyber Sleuth is much more interesting and technically more ambitious than most Pokemon games but Digimon does have some real stinkers. Pokemon at least is pretty consistent, some of the spinoffs are awesome too like TCG.

My god, is there any point in asking this question,much less with a poll?Pokemon is the larger franchise, so obviously you're going to get higher Pokemon counts, the poll is useless, discussion is fine though, I guess. Pokemon games had a good design and stuck with it. Digimon games have consistently changed their gameplay & had more bad then good. This is coming from HUGE digimon fan. The Pokemon formula is stale af, but it's not bad & still fun. Digimon seems to have settled with alternating between Digimon world 1 and Turn based RPG / Digimon story gameplay's , the former is unique and fun. IF you compare DW1 with its Pokemon counterpart of the time, DW1 is much more funner, its not linear compared to Pokemon as well. If we go forward to DW2/DW3 it comes down to preference, but the Pokemon games then were funner for me. The Digimon Rumble arena+TC Games were also funner, pokemons TCG was complicated and the story was pretty stale imo. DW4 & All star rumble however are some of the worst games I've ever played though, they're ok but there's no motivation to play after a couple of hours . Currently I think CS beats Pokemon X & Y, X & Y seem to have been testing the waters and required a load of work so I guess they didn't focus on improving+introducing new mechanics as much. The cs-> X&Y seems to be fairer since they're both handheld games. Although CS lacks polish since it obviously had a smaller budget and the franchise as a whole is less experienced.

EDITED ^

It's Pokemon, and it's really not a contest, but I'll take this as an opportunity to highlight how unsatisfied I am with my latest PS1 pickup.

Just compare these images. The winner is clear: Pokemon TCG and its sequel are the undefeated champs of the TCG-RPG genre. I've played every game in the genre that I can possibly get my hands on, and the only real competition I've found for Pokemon is the Card Fighters Clash series on Neo Geo Pocket Color. I was pretty excited wen I recently found out that a Digimon card game RPG existed, but it hasn't been worth my time so far -- overly simplistic, far too random, and heavily unbalanced, with only bare-bones menus in between the repetitive battles.

The Digimon Card game is one of the worst card battle games I ever played and I love the damn things. I agree with you there.

cLOUDo

Can someone to explain what makes Pokemon's games so different?
to me looks all the same, just with a few minor changes and of course new pokemons

Nyoro SF

My god, is there any point in asking this question,much less with a poll?Pokemon is the larger franchise, so obviously you're going to get higher Pokemon counts, the poll is useless, discussion is fine though, I guess. Pokemon games had a good design and stuck with it. Digimon games have consistently changed their gameplay & had more bad then good. This is coming from HUGE digimon fan. The Pokemon formula is stale af, but it's not bad & still fun. Digimon seems to have settled with alternating between Digimon world 1 and Turn based RPG / Digimon story gameplay's , the former is unique and fun.

Indeed, even with the recent games, I'd still say Pokemon has the advantage with the tighter design of its previous games.

Taruranto

Cyber Sleuth was far from being exceptional, in fact looking back it was kinda mediocre and plagued with a myriad of problems. It's enjoyable, but it doesn't stand scrutiny.

S/G/C were breakthrough games, but other than that Pokemon is a stale franchise that relies on rehashing the same game over and over.

Weebos

Banned
I've played a fair few Digimon games and they've been at best inoffensive and at worst mediocre.

Pokemon has plenty of slam dunks, especially if we're expanding beyond the mainline games.

TWILT

Banned
Pokemon. I REALLY like Cyber Sleuth (a lot more than ORAS that's for sure, which I thought was disappointing), but that's the only really standout Digimon game so far for me. Pokemon as a gaming franchise is a lot more consistent (Soul Silver and White 2 being among my favorite games) and there's the spinoffs to consider.

Cyber Sleuth plays really well, has a good look and has a fantastic soundtrack, but the plot is mostly fluff, so really it's about on the same level of your average Pokemon game based on those merits.

And there's only one Cyber Sleuth to the million "average Pokemon games", so yeah. The winner is clear.

Illucio

Banned
Digimon fucked up by having every game disconnected. Not able to transfer old Digimon over, inconsistent game releases, and so on.

I still want a Digimon game that's like World 1 or 3 but with that original anime storyline/expedition of being thrown into the Digimon world.

But yeah Pokemon have the better games.

S/G/C were breakthrough games, but other than that Pokemon is a stale franchise that relies on rehashing the same game over and over.

I feel like this is primarily said for people that don't get into the optional content or multiplayer of the games.

The battle system mechanics and how certain moves work change each game. And watching multiplayer go from being this kinda busted thing to something pretty fun has been crazy. Trading has gotten so easy with other players as well that you can do random trades on Wonder Trade.

If you do only play the single player aspect of Pokemon I get why people are tired of it though.

Hikami

Woops. Meant to pick Pokemon in the poll.
Great pokemon games for me are: Pokemon Conquest, Pokemon Colosseum, Pokemon XD (btw can we get another console Pokemon game like these two already?), and the mainline games which I'll just count as one really since they're basically the same with the gym badges, elite four stuff still.

Digimon just has Cyber Sleuth for me. Which was amazing but that's about it for that series.

Digimon wins in anime though.

Menitta

I want to say Pokemon wins anime, but after
my attempt in
rewatching Best Wishes, no amount of good can offset the Pokemon anime.

Stuart444

I want to say Pokemon wins anime, but after
my attempt in
rewatching Best Wishes, no amount of good can offset the Pokemon anime.

I liked Best Wishes mostly but XY is much better imo. Part of that is just thanks to the companions being more bearable to me. <3 Bonnie, Clem and Serena.

Toxi

Banned
I don't really understand this sentiment about GSC. What exactly is different about GSC that made it a larger jump than RSE or DPP? For all the refinements GSC brought, it's still the same "rehashed" gameplay of RBY that people claim to detest.

And I say this as someone who played the series since Red and Blue up to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Stuart444

I don't really understand this sentiment about GSC. What exactly is different about GSC that makes it a larger jump than RSE or DPP? For all the refinements GSC brought, it's still the same "rehashed" gameplay of RBY that people claim to detest.

And I say this as someone who played the series since Red and Blue.

Well, it's the only one that has two regions in the game even if the Kanto section is more bear content wise. (though I think HG/SS helped fix that somewhat)

Menitta

I liked Best Wishes mostly but XY is much better imo. Part of that is just thanks to the companions being more bearable to me. <3 Bonnie, Clem and Serena.

I hated almost every character in Best Wishes. I ranted about it in the Pokemon community thread this weekend.

XY is the best season of Pokemon in years.

Top Bottom