• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon vs Digimon GAMES only

Pokemon vs Digemon

Results are only viewable after voting.

L Thammy

Honest question, why do people like the original Digimon World? I tried playing it much later on, and even if you're just going in because you like the show, you end up being frustrated when your first Digimon inevitably turns into a Numamon. As a game where you raise monsters, the only reason why I'd prefer it over Monster Rancher is because you have a world to explore.

True Fire

Let's make a thread about Guardians of the Galaxy vs Batman v Superman next. I'm sure intellectual conversation will come out of that.

Since Game Freak is technically their own thing, I think Bamco should really get them to make a Digimon game.

Pokemon's 6th generation was a technical mess. Bamco has HD Digimon models with beautiful key animations and they should proceed to make a PS4 Digimon game, not 3DS messes.

Toxi

Banned
Honest question, why do people like the original Digimon World? I tried playing it much later on, and even if you're just going in because you like the show, you end up being frustrated when your first Digimon inevitably turns into a Numamon. As a game where you raise monsters, the only reason why I'd prefer it over Monster Rancher is because you have a world to explore.
There's something really intriguing about actually raising an AI companion you don't have full control over, where your treatment of said AI companion determines its power and usefulness. There's a lot of spontaneity in it compared to something like Pokemon.

Qwark

For me, I loved figuring out the complex systems. Everything was just kind of hidden away and took a lot of experimenting to find. I also loved just exploring the world, it felt like a real world to explore with your monster. Granted, I had much more time as a kid and less competing games for my time.

Play the game with a digivolution guide. The game just has so many complex+innovative systems, events etc. Each reincarnation of your digimon is different. Battles are actually pretty fun when you're not overpowered. Honestly, your city growing and discovering the world with so many different plot lines. It's one of those games which pushed the boundaries of the ps1 imo. Just look at the amount of differentiated content it has compared to modern games, honestly jrpgs have become pretty stale past the big games,which some also suffer from the problem of rinsing and repeating similar story's, systems, depth etc. This game felt like it was made by actual gamers/to be fun, rather than maximise on sales etc.

Raonak

Banned
It's just there's this bizarre idea GSC was this huge shakeup and nothing else in the series changed thing up again.

Future games did add new stuff, but no single generation brought forward the series in the way GSC did,
and some gens of them even remove neat features from previous ones.

I think the nearly annual development schedule is largely to blame.
Gamefreak is a small company, but If they spent a good 3 years developing one, we'd probably see some real magic.

wow. i guess i didn't really think this through when I was making the thread.

i was under the impression that the general consensus for pokemon the anime > digimon the anime overall, but i thought the discussion for a hardcore audience in just the games would be more interesting. it's been sorta interested but clearly one sided.

anyways, for all those of you saying digimon story cyber sleuth is not good enough to say digimon is better, there was this old ass machinima shit where the guy said that the 2 uncharted games were better than all the tomb raider games at the time.

JCX

This isn't even a contest. Cyber Sleuth and the first 2 Digimon Worlds are the only good ones I've played. That rumble crap is so disappointing.

I do wish Pokemon would make something more the CS, but one game doesn't overtake gems like ORAS/XY, Pokemon TCG, Pokken, Pokemon Conquest, and Pokemon Snap.

Pizza

Digimon takes risks which can lead to great or meh games, but they try.

Pokemon has been coasting off hype since ruby an sapphire. I've been playing slight variations on the same game for years now. XY made it worse by having the whole game feel like a structured tutorial. Also the new overworld sucks IMO.

Digimon still piques my interest, and Pokemon is just a cash machine

NEO0MJ

ssbk3oypnqspumltyzwx.gif

I'm biased towards digimon

lol this is nerdy as fuck. High school teenager with whatever gundam that thing is supposed to be trying to act all cool, LMAO.

I'm just kidding. While I had a lot of fun with Cyber Sleuth recently and still treasure my memories of Digimon World 2 I overall still have to give the prize to Pokemon.

Its facinating how much people seem to prefer Cyber Sleuth over Pokemon games. I do think its kinda simple, Cyber Sleuth is like Pokemon except all the bullshit is removed. No IVs or EVs bullshit, you can even restart your Digimons bonus stats. You have free repels and instant battle options. You can switch Digimons personality. Grinding is easy and actually… fun?! And as a bonus all Digimons walk and have unique attack animation which brings charm. The story is also less cliche than Pokemon.

In that sense Cyber Sleuth is incredible.

Digimon World original is so unique and charming that even with the absolutely bad shape it is in, it can be enjoyable. Too bad I feel like true unique experience Digimon World is a kinda niche gameplay system. Cyber Sleuth is technically best game in series, but thats because its Pokemon Streamlined Edition.

NEO0MJ

Its facinating how much people seem to prefer Cyber Sleuth over Pokemon games. I do think its kinda simple, Cyber Sleuth is like Pokemon except all the bullshit is removed. No IVs or EVs bullshit, you can even restart your Digimons bonus stats. You have free repels and instant battle options. You can switch Digimons personality. Grinding is easy and actually… fun?! And as a bonus all Digimons walk and have unique attack animation which brings charm. The story is also less cliche than Pokemon.

I like how convenient it was to raise Digimon, but when it came to actually battling the game fell short IMO.

so maybe this thread was a mistake. the answer is now clear.

It was fun discussing it, still.

Pokemon is probably better overall but if I had to pick one game to play , it would be digimon world. Might be because I've played so many Pokemon games and so little digimon.

Kouriozan

Tamagotchis were pretty popular back then.

Justified

In that sense Cyber Sleuth is incredible.

Digimon World original is so unique and charming that even with the absolutely bad shape it is in, it can be enjoyable. Too bad I feel like true unique experience Digimon World is a kinda niche gameplay system. Cyber Sleuth is technically best game in series, but thats because its Pokemon Streamlined Edition.

Considering how much gamers lover SMT, its no wonder Cyber Sleuth is well loved.

I would say its more a skinned SMT streamlined edition than Pokemon

Nightbird

Cyber Sleuth plays really well, has a good look and has a fantastic soundtrack, but the plot is mostly fluff, so really it's about on the same level of your average Pokemon game based on those merits.

And there's only one Cyber Sleuth to the million "average Pokemon games", so yeah. The winner is clear.

This.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth is a great game, but it lacks polish and is only strong in the areas Pokemon is weak in.

Pokémon has the overall better package, and this is something the Series is extremly consistent in.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth's good parts are the difficulty and the great looking overworld (wich means jack shit, since you spend 85% of the time in Dungeons anyway). Also the story is better (thats the only part where i disagree with you Hot Coldman).

SeanTSC

Echoing a ton of this thread I guess.

Pokemon as a game franchise, no question at all. There's a consistent quality.

But on an individual game level I'd take Cyber Sleuth all day over any Pokemon and Cyber Sleuth could be SO much better than it is. I'd kill for a bigger budget Digimon game, because Cyber Sleuth has a shitload bad about it too.

Greddleok

Digimon games always had this weird off-brand feel to them, like they were made by people who didn't understand how to make good games.

Pokémon games are polished to almost perfection. They nail exactly what they want to do. I've stopped enjoying them, but if I took cumulative hours of any franchise of any game, pokémon would be top for me. I can't really play them any more, but I acknowledge them as great games, and some of my favourite games of all time.

Drinkel

I think Digimon World 1 is more exciting than all of the Pokemon games I've played. However that's only one game and the Pokemon games are consistently good. I would probably put Cyber Sleuth on about the same level as a good Pokemon game. Pokemon also has Pokkén and Pokemon snap going for it. So Pokemon wins by the amount and variety of good games. But if it's a favorite Digimon game vs favorite Pokemon game its Digimon for me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Only really voted Pokemon because I loved them so much as a kid but now I feel they are just stale and boring. It's the same thing all the time but just with a new map/pokemon/characters. catch pokemon, fight your rival, beat 8/16 gyms, defeat the evil Team **** who are trying to catch the legendary Pokemon on the boxart, go fight the elite 4, fight the champion.

I find myself now avoiding Pokemon but hoping that Digimon has more games coming out here. I did buy Cyber Sleuth but couldn't get into it but I really hope that Next Order gets a release in English. I played the original Digimon World on PS1 and loved it. Also played Re Digitize.

Blobbers

Digimoooon Rumble Areeeeena

digimon-rumble-arena-usa.jpg

Man, we used to play the crap out of this game back in the day.

I've played a bunch of Digiman and Pokeyman games. I'd probably say Digimon has higher highs, but overall Pokemon's steady stream of quality games gives it the win

Cyber Sleuth was just miles better than every single Pokemon game I've played. It'd be refreshing if there was a Pokemon equivalent to it instead of the same formulaic thing over and over.

But I would say the overall quality of Pokemon games as a franchise is better, not really sure thats debatable? Still I had more fun with Cyber Sleuth than any single game in that franchise.

Yeah, totally agree.
I voter for Digimon, but my first game for those franchises was Pokemon red, after some clone as usual, and then digimon world 1.

Digimon refresh its game way better than pokemon IMO.

What I'm gathering from this thread is that I should really play Cyber Sleuth.

Only if you want to end with your free time for hundreds of hours D:

Thud

The pokemon franchise is in a better position. However each come with their advantages. It allows people to come with fresh ideas about Digimon.

Pokemon overall has been a lot more consistent in terms of quality with the games, but the Digimon anime series always trumps the Pokemon anime. Simple enough, really.

I liked Cyber Sleuth, but it's obvious that it's very much a Persona-lite. The Digimon games have been incredibly inconsistent in terms of gameplay. I honestly think a more intuitive take on Digimon World 1 might be the best way to go.

just wanted to bump this real quick, I am wondering if that new Digimon game has changed anyone's minds? Cyber Sleuth seemed to be universally loved but it doesn't look like this new game is getting the same level of attention

Justified

just wanted to bump this real quick, I am wondering if that new Digimon game has changed anyone's minds? Cyber Sleuth seemed to be universally loved but it doesn't look like this new game is getting the same level of attention

Yes, while their are fans of the World series, people wanted more of the Story series particular of the Cyber Sleuth flavor. With Hackers Memory we are getting exactly that.

With the incredible positive reception of the OG Cyber Sleuth, I can see Hackers Memory receiving a bit more Press attention, and maybe some new fans. I cant wait.

Sort off topic; as a Nostalgia fan of the original anime series, what series can I watch to bring myself up to speed with current lore? Is the Tri series a good jump back in point?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

While I enjoy the world games for what they are, old school lcd digimon expanded on into a full open world game, I really enjoyed cyber sleuth a lot more as it tapped into story a lot more heavily and that's where digimon has always been more fun with.

Sort off topic; as a Nostalgia fan of the original anime series, what series can I watch to bring myself up to speed with current lore? Is the Tri series a good jump back in point?

Tri is basically a sequel to the first two series. If you want some good ol digimon world building jump on the awesome as hell Savers series, it has one of the coolest fucking digimon in it as well :p Won't spoil in case you watch it :D

If we're talking consistency, Pokemon is the winner. But by that same token, the franchise's consistency and lack of uniqueness (often going as far as being very rigid with post game content and features) is why it's also very flawed. At least with Digimon, it has proper JRPG elements (though earlier games like the Worlds + DS are extremely grindy) and fun battles that expect more from the player than to simply find counterpicks.

Pokemon needs their version of Cyber Sleuth but that's a completely different discussion on growing the franchise with the user base.

PseudoViper

I'm a huge fan of Digimon, I think it's better than Pokemon, but I gotta admit that Pokemon games are definitely better hands down. There's no contest.

Anime, however, Digimon wins that.

Top Bottom