• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Right was always going to frame Obama as a Muslim, terrorist, and communist. They've been using these tactics ever since Richard Nixon opened the door for the dixiecrats to switch parties, by reviving the "states' rights" doctrine. It worked in 2004 when they framed John Kerry as a traitor. They even did it to McCain in 2000. He has no control over these forces, and neither does Romney. The worrying thing about either of their presidencies is that in order for them to be re-elected they need to toss some bones to these guys, and if it's a decent policy idea you can bet your ass these guys won't be for it. McCain can't stem the tide of these forces. He can only back away, which I felt he did, in the end.

He didn't choose Palin to perpetuate this "Other" narrative. He choose her because he needed a "Wild Card" and that based on the fundamentals he was going to lose this election. He was from an incumbent party that did a horrible job. Our normally conservative electorate, had no interest in rewarding the incumbent party with four more years in office.

Sarah Palin was the result of a mismanaged campaign team that didn't properly vet the VP candidate.

Regardless, I'm not going to win this argument in this setting.

McCain helped fire the flame of painting Obama in a way that scared the bejesus out of people. He didn't start it but he sure as hell didn't help it. And no, he didn't choose Palin for the reason you mentioned, but in selecting her to be his 'wild card' and not properly vetting her, he acted responsibly in that without the proper vetting he wasn't aware of just how volatile and aggressive she would be.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
This is CNN's front page headline right now.

1351004607649.jpg

8p10n.gif

Why not?

If you believe that Game Change was reasonably accurate, then that would be the case.

I read it and the authors are also very clear about why Colin Powell didn't support McCain. He felt that McCain was playing into the fears and negativity that so many on the right were committing, including Palin.

norinrad

Give me a fucking break. 8 isn't even next to 6. It wasn't a fucking typo and these people should be fucking ashamed. Luckily, this kind of thing shouldn't have a huge impact, but the desperateness of this fucking party astounds me.

I would persecute them all to the full extent of the law

pigeon

Banned
Complain if you must, but that's a great headline for Obama. It makes it a foregone conclusion that he spanked Romney hard. If the only "issue" is one of politeness, is also works against the "apology" meme.

Seriously, however they meant it, great headline.

I agree that this is good for Obama in that it assumes he won, and also, frankly, in that Americans want a commander-in-chief who will be hard on our enemies.

I was trying to figure out what Romney was doing, because he was actually pretty heartfelt-sounding delivering some of those peace lines, and then somebody pointed out how Romney thinks all our problems can be solved by saying the same stuff better and it dawned on me -- last night wasn't Romney the businessman, because Romney the businessman has no idea how to handle diplomacy. Last night was Romney the missionary, and his plan is to witness in the Middle East.

3rdman

It's kinda freaky how much this election is reminding me of 2004...Kerry was way behind as the election cycle started and he had many flubs on his way to the first debate.

In that first debate, he slammed Bush...Bush looked preoccupied and out of sorts and almost overnight, Kerry was back in the race. Each successive debate got him a little closer and by election day, he was actually projected to win by many polls.

Ohio, in the end, did him in.

Only time will tel whether Ohio does the same to this challenger but I'm still feeling pretty confident. The fact of the matter is things are indeed better now than when he took office...Ohio knows this better than most of the other states. In the end, I believe they'll break for Obama.

Forever

Banned
Why not?

If you believe that Game Change was reasonably accurate, then that would be the case.

Please proceed, Sirpopopop.

Game Change said:
Though the story concluded that Obama and Ayers “do not appear to have been close,” the next day McCainworld instructed Palin by email to lay into the Democratic nominee as “someone who sees America as imperfect enough to pal around with terrorists who targeted their own country.” Palin eagerly agreed, and, with a few syntactical tweaks, delivered the message as written.

For McCainworld, it would be one of the precious few times in the election’s final month that Palin stuck to the script. With the debate-related tumult behind them and any possibility gone that Palin would be a game changer, McCain’s strategists hoped that she would continue to be useful in firing up the base and not create too many disruptions or distractions. But it wasn’t long before the signs appeared that Palin was going rogue.
Get the transcript.

Cloudy

Banned
Where are all articles and commentary from Republicans about how Romney "doesn't really want to be president"? Isn't that what happens after a bad debate?

Stupid fucking Democrats

pigeon

Banned
Where are all articles and commentary from Republicans about how Romney "doesn't really want to be president"? Isn't that what happens after a bad debate?

Stupid fucking Democrats

There have actually been a few posts from Republicans in the GAF thread saying they felt like Romney didn't really even want to win, which I frankly took as an excellent sign.

HylianTom

Banned
There have actually been a few posts from Republicans in the GAF thread saying they felt like Romney didn't really even want to win, which I frankly took as an excellent sign.
Like I said.. the other side cracked a bit after last night.

They know where things stand on 538, electoral-vote.com, etc. They know. And I'm going to be very interested in seeing how folks behave if the polls show a half-point or one-point bump for Obama (or if they just freeze in place with Obama still narrowly ahead in most of The States That Count.).

pigeon

Banned

Darkgran

Media needs to read it

Very true.

This is why I am not worried at all about this election. Romney has never lead. EVER. Even after the first debate and the surge in the polls he has NEVER lead in this election. 538 Has him winning with 289 EV if the election was held today. The lowest that number has been is 283. Romney has never been close to 270 EV.

HylianTom

Banned
UPI: Tied at 48
YouGov: 48-46, O

Throw 'em on today's pile.

This place craves polls more than GayGAF.
(I'm so, so sorry.. to both anti-pun GAF and to my fellow gays)

Please proceed, Sirpopopop.

Get the transcript.

I was referring to the "going rogue" part of his post.

Yet, I suppose it doesn't matter, if McCain's team did instruct her to use that line, then McCain has to own up to it. Still, it's not as if that statement could be construed as saying or implying that Obama was a terrorist himself. Then again, that is simply winning a point on semantics.

Regardless, I don't agree with your general point that McCain himself was implying Obama was a secret terrorist. That's just really stretching things out a bit too far here. If you want to say that his campaign itself did try to utilize that rhetoric through Palin, I will agree with that statement.

Neither do I agree with you and Cloving's general backslapping about Republicans being evil menaces. They aren't evil menaces, they just have different policy prescriptions than you or I. From my experience working with state and local government politicians, bureaucrats, etc., and from the experiences of my friends in D.C., many politicians do believe that what they are doing is best for the country.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just got a company-wide memo at the bank where I work that we can request 3 paid hours off to vote on election day. Do many places do that? They should.

HylianTom

Banned
Charlie Cook keeps going back to just how damn difficult it'll be for Romney to get close to 270. Of course, this is going to be ignored by most other TV personalities..

Romney's Steep Path to 270

Charlie Cook: "Not all of the states in this Toss-Up column are equal. Most private polls show Romney with low single-digit leads in North Carolina and Virginia. For the sake of argument, let's give Romney both states, adding 28 additional electoral votes to the 191 that Romney already led in, for a total of 219--51 short of a victory."

"At the same time, Obama has a lead in Nevada that is wider than any advantage that Romney has in North Carolina and Virginia, so let's add the Silver State's six electoral votes to the Obama 237, bringing his total to 243, 27 short of 270."

"That leaves six remaining states -- Colorado (9), Florida (29), Iowa (6), New Hampshire (4), Ohio (18), and Wisconsin (10) -- with a total of 76; Obama needs 27 of the 76 while Romney needs 51. But the challenge for Romney isn't just that he needs to win two-thirds of the "true" Toss-Up state electoral votes. It's that in five of the six (Colorado, Iowa, New Hampshire, Ohio, and Wisconsin) Obama is still leading in most polling, particularly the last two, while in Florida, it seems awfully close to dead even. If Obama carries Ohio and Wisconsin, where he is ahead in most polling, he gets the 270 with one electoral vote to spare, so Romney could sweep Colorado, Florida, Iowa, and New Hampshire and still come up short. No matter how you cut it, Ohio is the pivotal state, and it isn't just the history of having gone with every winner from 1964 on and with no Republican ever capturing the White House without it."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/10/23/romneys_steep_path_to_270.html

apana

Rasmussen polls not looking good, Romney has reached 50 percent. He clearly did continue to have momentum even after the second debate. Thank god for last night, Obama just needs to tie him in national voting on election night.

Rasmussen polls not looking good, Romney has reached 50 percent. He clearly did continue to have momentum even after the second debate. Thank god for last night, Obama just needs to tie him in national voting on election night.

What confuses me about both Ras and Gallup is that their approval numbers show one thing and their voting choice numbers show something else entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom