• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
So can Harry Reid just put together a bill that does what the Dems want (whatever that is) and add a few sweeteners to attract a few GOP House members to pass it with the House Dems? Just pick off 15 or so GOP House votes and be done.

Edit: I guess that won't work. How do you negotiate with people that would rather crash the government than raise taxes 3% on people making a million/year?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I guess you have more faith in the house than i do

If the Dems to their job right, it will come down to either cave or completely give up the 2014 elections. Can you imagine the commercials? "So-and-so didn't vote to cut you're taxes, to help the poor or the unemployed, all so they could help their fat cat friends" It'll all come down to can the Dems not screw it up and if Obama has learned to herd cats or not.

Chichikov

Not sure Boehner can survive this. All he did was prove he can't pass anything with the GOP. Not Obama's plan, not his plan.
His only hope is to strike a real deal with house democrats and hope that the public support for it is enough for him weather the Norquist storm and get most non tea-party Republicans behind him.

I don't know if it will work, I think it might, a tailwind from opinion polls can do wonders to elected officials, but I don't see how he can retain his job otherwise.

Edit:
Plan B was an abortion.

The conservatives were right all along.
Orson Welles Clap.gif

Piecake

So can Harry Reid just put together a bill that does what the Dems want (whatever that is) and add a few sweeteners to attract a few GOP House members to pass it with the House Dems? Just pick off 15 or so GOP House votes and be done.

Do you think Republicans would bite/like on a corporate - capital gains tax swap? Basically eliminate the corporate tax and raise the capital gains rate to some point to make it revenue neutral. Im not going to pretend to know a whole lot about economics, but it does make sense to me

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
His only hope is to strike a real deal with house democrats and hope that the public support for it is enough for him weather the Norquist storm and get most non tea-party Republicans behind him.

I don't know if it will work, I think it might, a tailwind from opinion polls can do wonders to elected officials, but I don't see how he can retain his job otherwise.

Thats what i would do. Two birds with one stone..neuter the tea party and public approval.

Do you think Republicans would bite/like on a corporate - capital gains tax swap? Basically eliminate the corporate tax and raise the capital gains rate to some point to make it revenue neutral. Im not going to pretend to know a whole lot about economics, but it does make sense to me

That sounds like a great idea to me. But understanding Republicans? . . . that is way beyond me.

Test run for his upcoming show.

:-( too true

Lol at Maddow's puppy metaphor

dog-running-in-circles_20090414_1280946291.gif

Piecake

That sounds like a great idea to me. But understanding Republicans? . . . that is way beyond me.

I think it would definitely play well in the press as well. You could obviously paint this move as extremely pro-business and anti-wall street. 65% approval rating assured

watershed

Banned
Why does Obama continue to be open to further compromised with republicans when all they do is show they aren't willing to do the same? I just read that Obama signaled he is willing to move the tax increase level up to $700,000 or $800,000.

Why does Obama continue to be open to further compromised with republicans when all they do is show they aren't willing to do the same? I just read that Obama signaled he is willing to move the tax increase level up to $700,000 or $800,000.

Screw that noise

That just looks like the standard put on a happy face. He doesn't really look happy.

The measure, dubbed “Plan B,” would have let Bush-era tax cuts expire on income above $1 million annually, while extending them for everyone else. It appeared that Boehner faced a rebellion from conservatives opposed to any tax hike, while House Democrats starved the bill of their support, making passage impossible.

Boehner’s dramatic defeat cast fresh doubt on efforts to avert the “fiscal cliff” and spare Americans across-the-board income tax hikes come Jan. 1. Those increases, coupled with deep automatic spending cuts scheduled to take effect the same day, could plunge the fragile economy into a new recession. Talks between the speaker and President Barack Obama were at a stalemate, according to aides on both sides.

So if people getting $1Million/year don't get their tax cut THEN NO ONE GETS A TAX CUT!

I don't understand anything anymore.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Where did you read that? That's ridiculous.

I think he wants them to hang themselves. It's not even 11th dimensional chess, at this point.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think he wants them to hang themselves. It's not even 11th dimensional chess, at this point.
Hmm, true. If he's just bluffing and saying he's willing to go that high just because he knows there will never be a compromise, then I'm ok with it. He knows it only makes him look better right now.

nib95

Banned

I seriously hope this isn't true. Fuck Obama if it is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He's just fucking with them at this point, if Boehner couldn't pass his Plan B then there is no way they'd pass Obama's new compromise. It's just good optics at this point in time.

Gotchaye

Why would Canter or anyone else want the job, though? It would make the GOP look worse if Canter or McCarthy was Speaker. Boehner at least appears almost reasonable.

Being Speaker is like the worst job right now. You're weak (no Senate control or Presidency, small majority and people don't like the House/Congress) as there is no real unity.

I'm not convinced this was a power play by Cantor. I think he's smart enough to know Boehner is better as a figurehead for the party right now. I think this is just chaos in the party.

Either way, Boehner looks even weaker than ever.

I'm not saying Cantor pulled something here, but leadership positions are sticky. Boehner's been Speaker or leader since 2006, and the top Republican since 2007. Pelosi's been the top Democrat since 2003. Cantor is well-positioned right now to become Speaker, and that may no longer be true the next time the Republicans are in the majority /and/ the job looks appealing, especially if the Republicans substantially moderate. He might want to become Speaker now so as to be Speaker in four years.

I shouldn't be surprised anymore with anything the GOP does but I am. I still don't think we're goin over the cliff. A 11th hour deal is my bet.

Come on, bro. Republicans couldn't even pass a bill to make THEMSELVES look good, even if anyone with any shred of common sense knew it was a farce.

We're going off the cliff at full speed.

We can only hope Dems and Obama have the appropriate amount of parachutes. :x

slit

I think it would be easier for a minority of Republicans to become Democrats at this point then for them to try working with the nuts that now reside in the GOP. :lol

Chichikov

If he has to give up on anything, he should give up on rates.
It's the least important element on the table, and politically, reluctantly agreeing on that keep one of his strongest cards against the GOP.
The public isn't exactly crazy about those tax cuts for the rich.

I think it would be easier for a minority of Republicans to become Democrats at this point then for them to try working with the nuts that now reside in the GOP. :lol

This still perplexed the fuck outta me for the last four years. Why would any genuinely moderate Republican STAY with the party that's clearly left them behind and doesn't give a single fuck about 99% of the population?

To me, they are indirectly supporting these bullshit policies by not standing their ground and either calling them out on it or leaving the party all together.

slit

This still perplexed the fuck outta me for the last four years. Why would any genuinely moderate Republican STAY with the party that's clearly left them behind and doesn't give a single fuck about 99% of the population?

To me, they are indirectly supporting these bullshit policies by not standing their ground and either calling them out on it or leaving the party all together.

I think it's a political form of 'battered wife syndrome'.

It easier to stay with the bastard you know, even if you know it's wrong, because the unknown is scary.

GhaleonEB

When NPR said Boehner had pulled the Plan B vote and pitched the issue over to Harry Reid I hooted so loudly in my car I have a hoarse voice now. It was cathartic.

Over the course of my drive home the NPR segments went from reporting on the failure to talking about how weak a Speaker Boehner is, to wondering if he'll get elected Speaker in the new Congress, to wondering if he'll step down from even running.

What a complete failure. Over we go. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee indeed. :D

When NPR said Boehner had pulled the Plan B vote and pitched the issue over to Harry Reid I hooted so loudly in my car I have a hoarse voice now. It was cathartic.

Over the course of my drive home the NPR segments went from reporting on the failure to talking about how weak a Speaker Boehner is, to wondering if he'll get elected Speaker in the new Congress, to wondering if he'll step down from even running.

What a complete failure. Over we go. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee indeed. :D

It really is amazing whats transpiring. The tea party has been such a cancer to the GOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom