• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
These people

I get some of these people (and some is probably charitable) are loco but remember at least some republicans have to be persuaded by either democrats or more moderate republicans for the system to change. I don't think mocking them is really going to achieve this in the long run. Political extremism is really quite terrifying in the US, but converts have to be won in the end.

pigeon

Banned
I get some of these people (and some is probably charitable) are loco but remember at least some republicans have to be persuaded by either democrats or more moderate republicans for the system to change. I don't think mocking them is really going to achieve this in the long run. Political extremism is really quite terrifying in the US, but converts have to be won in the end.

I don't think this is true at all. The evidence of the last few weeks, and indeed last few years, is that the most likely outcome is actually that the insane people will continue doing obviously insane things until they are completely marginalized. Pretending to engage them earnestly is just going to encourage them to be more insane. Nobody says we need to be friendly and persuade 9/11 truthers that it wasn't an inside job. We generally accept that those people are crazo and we rely on the weight of objective evidence and social pressure to conform to keep everybody from becoming a truther.

Per robert costa, House r's think they are now winning the pr war..

@robertcostaNRO: This is a big story; House conservatives tell me it's a "game-changer," gives Right new momentum ahead of this week http://t.co/QRzlHrjOcf

Story is about reopening of wwii monument by veterans, etc

:lol

He pointed out right wing media is focusing entirely on the story, and it's firing up the base. The problem is that this only impacts the base. The rest of the country doesn't care.

Ultimately this is just going to re-enforce a couple right wing narratives, after the cave: republicans lost because the media refused to report on the WWII memorial battle, and republicans would have won the PR battle if republicans didn't cave too soon. We'll be hearing this for years, just watch.

Diablos

@robertcostaNRO: This is a big story; House conservatives tell me it's a "game-changer," gives Right new momentum ahead of this week http://t.co/QRzlHrjOcf

TlBBmoZ.jpg

9JWTUt8.jpg

Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO 6m
That's what I'm reporting: this vet/Palin/Cruz memorial protest story is going viral quickly on right, will shape House GOP scene on M & T

oh for fuck's sake

I don't think this is true at all. The evidence of the last few weeks, and indeed last few years, is that the most likely outcome is actually that the insane people will continue doing obviously insane things until they are completely marginalized. Pretending to engage them earnestly is just going to encourage them to be more insane. Nobody says we need to be friendly and persuade 9/11 truthers that it wasn't an inside job. We generally accept that those people are crazo and we rely on the weight of objective evidence and social pressure to conform to keep everybody from becoming a truther.

Even behaving like this the republicans can come close to 50% to the national vote. If they control any part of the Federal government this seems to be the result. The US is a very diverse country politically and culturally, people do want at least the pretence of getting along. It may look Obama look weak, but his engagement strategy is much better long term than the house republican strategy.

KingK

Because we can't pass a CR that goes past December without locking in the sequester. This is why the Collins plan died -- the CR was actually too LONG.

Hmm, so is there anything actually preventing Congress from passing the CR that locks in sequester spending levels past December, and then changing it at some point soon by negotiating a budget? Or is it just a matter of Republicans refusing to budge on the sequester spending levels in the future if they're forced into "unconditional surrender" now?

RDreamer

So... Republicans are going to win the PR war by protesting and reopening something they were responsible for closing in the first place? Ouch... my head...

gcubed

So... Republicans are going to win the PR war by protesting and reopening something they were responsible for closing in the first place? Ouch... my head...

But the liberal media won't talk about it, only the fair and balanced news station

pigeon

Banned
Hmm, so is there anything actually preventing Congress from passing the CR that locks in sequester spending levels past December, and then changing it at some point soon by negotiating a budget? Or is it just a matter of Republicans refusing to budge on the sequester spending levels in the future if they're forced into "unconditional surrender" now?

Yeah, I think the feeling is that Ryan has refused to negotiate on the budget this whole year to protect the sequester levels. If we extend the levels past January he'll just do the same thing. The Democrats want to stage a fight about lifting the sequester right before the next cuts go into place, which requires timing the CR to expire before the cuts happen. Yes, it's a forcing mechanism.

So after Cruz got them into this mess with no plan what-so-ever, they think Cruz and Palin are what will turn it around? These people never learn

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Well they did try to pass a partial spending bill for the monuments, but that's still sickening they fight so hard for this of all things. Who the hell cares about a monument when there are sick and starving people out there?

It's not their fault - how could they have foreseen that war memorials run by the government would close would the government did?!

That's still a very silly reason to rally behind someone. Wouldn't it be better to vote for someone that has the right policies, and not for someone who doesn't with hopes that she will be pressured into having the right policies?

Typically the president is seen as the leader of the party, and the president gets to pick which areas for the party to focus its attention on. Congress has the power to say no, but it's a whole lot more difficult for them to start something than it is for the president, because they face the same roadblocks the president does except without the star power the president has.

I'm saying politicians and their opinions matter less than people think.

BWd9MsBIMAAR5AD.jpg:large

One of these flags is not like the others.

I have no patience for the confederate flag. Flag should representative of a shameful period in US history, not a point of pride.

Sing Dixie, be proud of certain traditions but the confederacy shouldn't be a part of that.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...-like-rally-obama-told-to-put-the-quran-down/

"I call upon all of you to wage a second American nonviolent revolution, to use civil disobedience, and to demand that this president leave town, to get up, to put the Quran down, to get up off his knees, and to figuratively come out with his hands up," said Larry Klayman of Freedom Watch, a conservative political advocacy group.

Anti-Obama sentiments echoed throughout the crowd Sunday, with one protester yelling out "punk" to describe the president and one speaker saying Obama is not the president of "the" people but "his" people. Multiple signs read "Impeach Obama."
At least one vulgar sign could be seen, which was directed more toward Republicans. It read "You can't be a conservative and a p**sy too."

So just for fun, I listened to some right-wing podcasts/radio.

Glenn Beck is fucking demagogue asshole. Crazy and racist. He had Louie Gohmert on and pushed for him becoming the next Texan senator.

Laura Inghram is mean-spirited and hard right . . . but at least she is not crazy. Well . . . at least not completely crazy. She at least admitted that the GOP's polling numbers were going down. She had Krauthammer on who said this shut-down was a bad idea . . . OK, so far so good. But they felt at as soon as we hit the debt-ceiling, things would turn-around and people would support the GOP. *face-palm*

Greg Gutfield is an unfunny idiot who is supposed to be a comedian.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man, what is wrong with Ted Cruz's face? He always has the same stupid look on his face.

pigeon

Banned
Just imagine if Boehner had brought up the clean CR. Today Paul Ryan would be arguing for delaying the individual mandate because of Obamacare's terrible launch as part of a debt ceiling deal. The NYT article today on the healthcare.gov website failure would be the capper on two weeks of nonstop coverage of the flaws in the system. There'd probably be a segment on CNN which is just some guy trying every hour to buy insurance on camera. Bulbo would be openly posting in PoliGAF again.

Thank God Ted Cruz saved us from that horrible future. Now all the low-information voters are blaming the Republicans for taking down the Obamacare website and causing it to show "please wait" pages every time they try to use it.

Owzers

We need to default and keep the government shut because...Palin and Cruz are protesting a monument closed because the GOP closed the government down.

Hate everything.

We need to default and keep the government shut because...Palin and Cruz are protesting a monument closed because the GOP closed the government down.

Hate everything.

Republican house members were at the same monument a few days ago doing the SAME thing, but all of a sudden it's different today and will turn things around

BWd9MsBIMAAR5AD.jpg:large

One of these flags is not like the others.

I really wonder what Obama thinks as he looks outside the window. Is it really worth fighting for, when you have imbeciles too stupid to realize that what you are fighting for is for their own good? A sizable number of imbeciles at that.

If Jesus magically came down at the gathering from heaven, took to the podium and said to everyone "My sheep, Obama is your true shepherd, so hither unto him for he is righteous", they will immediately try to crucify him again.

The far right's insular focus plays such a role in them failing. They're completely unable to appeal to anyone outside the bubble.

Fighting over WWII museums they shut down while the senate GOP prepares to fold. Brilliant.

gcubed

The far right's insular focus plays such a role in them failing. They're completely unable to appeal to anyone outside the bubble.

Fighting over WWII museums they shut down while the senate GOP prepares to fold. Brilliant.

i would think at some point SOME ONE has to step back and say "if everyone tells us we are the best, how come we can't win?"

Unfortunately i dont think thats going to happen until they are all but an insignificant piece of the government. Until they are the minority in the senate, house and lose the presidency they will continue to think its a messaging problem.

i would think at some point SOME ONE has to step back and say "if everyone tells us we are the best, how come we can't win?"

Unfortunately i dont think thats going to happen until they are all but an insignificant piece of the government. Until they are the minority in the senate, house and lose the presidency they will continue to think its a messaging problem.

*Democrats have 60+ seats in the Senate and 250+ seats in the House*
WE'RE NOT CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH /TeaParty

Man, what is wrong with Ted Cruz's face? He always has the same stupid look on his face.

Lots of people remark how he looks (and acts) just like Joseph McCarthy. Yeah, kinda:

Joseph-McCarthy-9390801-1-402.jpg
130812_POL_TedCruzIowa.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

I think Ted Cruz looks like the generic white man created by a character generator. He would be perfect for Mad Men.

That requires accepting reality. And that is just not what we are dealing with. We are dealing with people that think climate change is a hoax invented by scientists. They don't believe in evolution. The believe Obama was born in Kenya. They believe Obama has lots of members of the Muslim Brotherhood working in his administration.

You can't reason your way out of a position you didn't reason you way into.

At best, we can hope independents and moderates to realize these people are crazy. But for 25 to 30% of the people . . . they are gone. There is no reason involved.

Diablos

Based on tweeting from our boy Costa: McConnell backs the Collins plan, and Graham is going to be "Cruz-esque" on insisting that the Vitter Amendment be part of the final result, implying he'd filibuster or something to ensure it happens I would assume.

Looks like there's growing... angst in the Senate against Reid and standing up to him since the House failed to. Fuck that noise. Guys like McCain and Graham are shitstains. I guess grampy got over the Tea Party hurting his feelings and is now emulating the group of people who were tenacious in their efforts to put a personal agenda ahead of getting something done with Reid (i.e. the House Republicans who ripped McCain to shreds just a few days ago!). This fucking farce needs to end. We've got 3 days and 7 hours before default.

The Vitter Amendment is a horrible idea, and income verification for PPACA -- why? If you lie about your income you will pay for it (literally).

KingK

I have no patience for the confederate flag. Flag should representative of a shameful period in US history, not a point of pride.

Sing Dixie, be proud of certain traditions but the confederacy shouldn't be a part of that.

Yeah, honestly I find people brandishing the Confederate flag just as offensive as the Nazi flag. It disgusts me how socially acceptable it is to plaster the confederate flag everywhere (at least in rural Indiana I see it a lot. On car bumpers, flying on flag poles, etc.)

nuke ^

Defeat from the jaws of victory?
Fucking Blue Dogs always ruining everything. Goddamn.

drudge-siren.gif

New Conspiracy Alert: Reverse Birtherism
So I talked to my tea party loving father today and he revealed to me the new conspiracy that he and other right-wingers are now spreading. He is willing to concede that Obama was born in Hawaii, as faking that birth certificate isn't possible, but this group of tea partiers now think Obama only managed to get into Columbia and Harvard because he claimed he was from Kenya. As proof, my dad said that Obama's grades were too poor to be accepted to either of those universities unless he was some from third world nation, and that the biography about Obama that mentioned him being from Kenya also resulted due to this claim in college. Additionally my dad said that Obama's classmates at Columbia have said they never saw Obama in class, so somehow Obama had gotten an exception from Columbia that he didn't need to go to class because the classes were too hard for him.

My response: yeah-okay.gif

Based on tweeting from our boy Costa: McConnell backs the Collins plan, and Graham is going to be "Cruz-esque" on insisting that the Vitter Amendment be part of the final result, implying he'd filibuster or something to ensure it happens.

Looks like there's a growing angst in the Senate against Reid and standing up to him since the House failed to. Fuck that noise.

Guys like McCain and Graham are shitstains. I guess he got over the Tea Party hurting his feeling and is now emulating the group of people who were tenacious in their efforts to put a personal agenda ahead of getting something done with Reid.

Maybe McCain feels like he can show the tea party how to get concessions without being a braindead dick. Basically a "here's how it's done, losers" move.

Regardless, I hope Reid is simply wasting time with this sequester battle. A clean DL and CR should be the main goal. The Collins plan isn't going anywhere, and it's clear republicans won't budge on sequestration unless Reid holds out until the 15th or 16th. I'd rather not do that, and just take the win they played to win in the first place: clean DL and CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom