• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

It's interesting that we thought it was stupid for McConnell to own up to his obstructionist strategy when Obama got elected, because obviously what he should have done was pretend to be totally willing to work with Obama but then find fault with every particular thing. Maybe that was a good move on his part. It's not like the media made a big deal out of Republican obstruction, and responses to Schumer and I guess Sanders seem to show that partisans really, really want a rhetorical commitment to fighting them on the beaches.

This right here is why I don't understand all the talk of Trump being a shoe-in for re-election. OK, I understand where it comes from but it's not based in reality. He's starting out incredibly unpopular for an incoming president (approvals in the 60s are pretty common for a president upon taking office) so he can't really afford to lose support.

I'm not saying he can't win. The economy may be expanding in 2020, or the Democrats might nominate a terrible candidate or be beset by infighting, but talk of Trump being unstoppable, or Democrats needing to blow everything up and start over, isn't really reflective of reality.

The next Dem nominee shouldn't focus on attacking Trump at all.

If she stays above the mud, voters will like her more. Meanwhile, everyone already hates Trump so you don't need to attack him. No negative ads, all positive ads. No "zingers" in debates or anything like that. Just try to build up your favorables.

dramatis

Where do you get that Sanders was more willing to compromise with Trump than with Democrats? He compromised on them with the platform and then stumped for Hillary all over the midwest. He's always been willing to vote on Democratic legislation (like the ACA). He's shown no real interest in working with Trump in practice. He tore into Trump's infrastructure plan. Why is no amount of teamwork from Sanders good enough?
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/bernie-sanders-donald-trump/508007/
I happen to believe that the federal minimum wage … is a starvation wage, and that it should be raised to $15 dollars an hour, a living wage. Mr. Trump did not say that, but what he did say is we should raise the minimum wage to 10 bucks an hour. Not enough, but a start, and we will hold him to those words.

And yet, would not compromise on $12/hour.
https://berniesanders.com/15-federal-minimum-wage-included-democratic-platform/
U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders scored a big victory here Friday when the Democratic platform committee approved an amendment committing to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour and index it to inflation.

No, he did not compromise with the Dems on the platform. It was the Dems who had to compromise with him.

It seems kind of ironic to be asking right now, after the election, why no amount of teamwork from Sanders is good enough, when he actively tore into the team before the election. I don't particularly care what Sanders does or does not do, but it does not matter how much he contributes to the team or to whatever, if he wants to be a leader of the party then he will have to take criticism and heat. Sanders already benefits in this regard by not being a minority or a woman, so I don't know why you feel the need to be so indignant on his behalf. He did not have a 20 year smear campaign against him. Now all he's getting is just a taste of it, what is particularly wrong with that?

JP_

Banned
It's interesting that we thought it was stupid for McConnell to own up to his obstructionist strategy when Obama got elected, because obviously what he should have done was pretend to be totally willing to work with Obama but then find fault with every particular thing. Maybe that was a good move on his part. It's not like the media made a big deal out of Republican obstruction, and responses to Schumer and I guess Sanders seem to show that partisans really, really want a rhetorical commitment to fighting them on the beaches.
I think it's important to keep in mind that the right had tea partiers keeping the fire to their feet. Earlier I posted a strategy written by former staffers on how the left could build something similar, and that's what I'd like to see happen, but I'm skeptical of the left's ability to take politics seriously enough. Without that intense partisan fire from the left that also helps mobilize voters, I think elected dems have no choice but try to appeal to the flip voters by appearing less partisan and try to distance themselves from the politician stereotypes that turn off the average citizen. Sanders, more than many dems, has proven to be able to have significant cross party appeal by talking about inequality and that's an asset.

bgbball31

Emoluments clause being brought up to Sessions right now, for those not watching.

So far, the answers were pretty much. "we'd look into it to see if special council would be required."

Leahy: Is grabbing a woman by the genitals without consent sexual assault?
Sessions: Clearly, it would be be(while shaking his head no, 4 times).

Ohhhh,...then Leahy follows up with the same question and Sessions says YES with one head nod up and down. There's the one the media will run with tonight.

Sanders can't be allowed to take over the Democratic party in any capacity. He is a dangerous demagogue who thinks giving evil dipshits a chance is good because, the 'racist white people are hurting economically and that is why they hate minorities.'

Democrats should never appease racists. You should never give them a chance to speak unless your goal is to shame them into losing their jobs, which is clearly not the goal here.

I agree with this 100%. I don't even want these type of leftists in the Democratic Party.

I agree with this 100%. I don't even want these type of leftists in the Democratic Party.

Then you will not only lose the EV but the popular vote as well. And Bernie Sanders supporters (as a whole) aren't racist. Your whole damn thesis has no backing. Repeating it doesn't make it true.

The future of the Democratic Party, the youth, believe in Bernie and what he believes in. Get used to it. Or go find another party.

If she stays above the mud, voters will like her more. Meanwhile, everyone already hates Trump so you don't need to attack him. No negative ads, all positive ads. No "zingers" in debates or anything like that. Just try to build up your favorables.

Basically.

The more time the next nominee spends on Trump the less time they actually have to tell people what they actually intend on doing.

Trump's circus distracted from EVERYTHING.

Most people who voted this election literally had zero fucking clue what either candidate was even going to do when President. Hillary did put forth a lot of good ideas but they were too hard to get to and most of her ads didn't focus on her plans and were just "think of the children". anti-Trump stuff

Donald is pushing for members of Congress to vote on the ACA repeal next week...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/us/repeal-affordable-care-act-donald-trump.html

This is about spite lol.

Still I think republicans can get away with it. Maybe I'm just way off, and scared republican senators show I'm off...but if voters didn't punish Trump in a general election (over ACA) why will they turn out in mass for a midterm?

Would it make more sense to simply gimp the law and blame its implosion on Obama? Yea. But after the election I just don't see why this would sink the GOP.

This is about spite lol.

Still I think republicans can get away with it. Maybe I'm just way off, and scared republican senators show I'm off...but if voters didn't punish Trump in a general election (over ACA) why will they turn out in mass for a midterm?

Would it make more sense to simply gimp the law and blame its implosion on Obama? Yea. But after the election I just don't see why this would sink the GOP.

Obama was elected in a landslide and given a supermajority and some voters were so mad about him doing what he said he would do that there was a landslide against him two years later.

No one except the Klan and Klannish white evangelicals likes Donald Trump and he won because of EMAILS (he's already below 40% approval!), this should not be forgotten.

This is about spite lol.

Because issues weren't talked about and millions of people who voted for him didn't even realize Obama care and the ACA were the same thing or didn't even know what it actually did, and are now going to kicked off and be discriminated for pre-existing conditions, have their kids lose coverage, etc.

I strongly believe that there will be a difference between "Candidate Trump" and "President Trump." The former never had to actually do any governing work

Especially if he pushes for ACA repeal. People will turn on him quick if they lose health insurance or their premiums skyrocket

OmniOne

I strongly believe that there will be a difference between "Candidate Trump" and "President Trump." The former never had to actually do any governing work

Especially if he pushes for ACA repeal. People will turn on him quick if they lose health insurance or their premiums skyrocket

No. They will lose their insurance due the Obamacare collapse. Trump will save them! All negative fallout will sold as a lagging indicator of just how bad Obamacare was. People do not know whats what. We've reached critical fud and it's hard for people to make rational choices with reliable information.

It's a given that Hillary will take a step back, but I want Obama out of the spotlight as well. At least for now with Trump.

Bush being out of the picture arguably helped Republicans massively. Dems will make better gains if they operate like the Republicans did; a headless entity, attacking from every conceivable angle with no one at the top.

This is about spite lol.

Maybe cooler heads will prevail?

Ryan GrimVerified account
‏@ryangrim
GOP Sen. Ron Johnson on NPR says Rs should "repair" rather than repeal Obamacare: "Nobody here wants to pull the rug out from under people."

lol, "she", as if Dems are going to try to nominate a woman again. This election showed the America with the electoral votes is still too sexist for that

This is about spite lol.

Why would they turn out in a midterm? Because people always vote against the ruling party in a midterm, especially if that party took away their health insurance.

The only reason they haven't passed a repeal yet is because they know it is the fastest way for them to be a minority party come 2018. Problem is, that's what they've promised their base for the past 6 years.

It's a given that Hillary will take a step back, but I want Obama out of the spotlight as well. At least for now with Trump.

Bush being out of the picture arguably helped Republicans massively. Dems will make better gains if they operate like the Republicans did; a headless entity, attacking from every conceivable angle with no one at the top.

I disagree. Obama is popular. He needs not to take too much of the spotlight just to allow new leaders to emerge, but I absolutely want him in the public eye.

Midwestern Republicans are falling on their own sword if they repeal it. They are almost guaranteed to lose next time they are up for re-election if they pull the trigger and they know it.

I disagree. Obama is popular. He needs not to take too much of the spotlight just to allow new leaders to emerge, but I absolutely want him in the public eye.

Obama is popular, but it ultimately didn't mean anything and he couldn't throw Hillary or other senate dems over the finish line. There are too many wedge issues he can hurt other Democrats on if he stays in the spot light.

Without a big boogieman who's going to drink the blood of infants and take away your guns, turnout in rural areas in the midterms should be down. Or give rural democrats a better shot at winning without having what they dislike about him or Hillary reflect on them. Republican's not having any major figure head is what allowed them to so successfully adjust to what positions they needed to in order to win where they needed.

lol, "she", as if Dems are going to try to nominate a woman again. This election showed the America with the electoral votes is still too sexist for that

Hillary was not able to move beyond her disadvantages the same way other politicians can. Which is part of the game. Obama successfully navigated around what should have been negatives and turned them into a positive. Heck he even used sexism within the democratic party to propel himself eight years ago.

A woman can absolutely be a nominee next cycle but they'll have to be more self aware in regards to where they are weak and how to adjust. Hillary bet the election on picking up white women and got burned. I think other Democratic hopefuls will be able to see where she went wrong and course correct; if they do I don't think their gender will be an issue.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Maybe cooler heads will prevail?

Ryan GrimVerified account
‏@ryangrim
GOP Sen. Ron Johnson on NPR says Rs should "repair" rather than repeal Obamacare: "Nobody here wants to pull the rug out from under people."

I-dont-believe-you.gif

dramatis

I hope Plouffe can convince Zuck that he's better off throwing his money into elections rather than running for election.

Zuckerberg controls most of people's media consumption so he could promote only negative news stories about his opponents while burying negative news stories about himself.

Dems should really just ban him from running.

Can these idiots run for office somewhere first or something? jesus.

Keith should mandate that political or military experience is a requirement for anyone running in the democratic primary or tell them to fuck off.

If he wants to get involved, run for mayor or governor, or something.

Tendo

Well there is how the dems can lose 2020 real early. Holy crap Mark - fund a candidate, don't BE the candidate.

dramatis

Can these idiots run for office somewhere first or something? jesus.

Keith should mandate that political or military experience is a requirement for anyone running in the democratic primary or tell them to fuck off.

If he wants to get involved, run for mayor or governor, or something.
Why?

Not that I'm saying he shouldn't, but Trump didn't run for any of those things. He just jumped to presidency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom