• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

Can McConnell get rid of the filibuster by himself or does he need the rest of the senate to support him? Because while he's maybe willing to burn it all down, I don't see how most senators there would be happy with sidelining themselves entirely in any Dem senate that comes up.

He won't, he knows no party is in control forever and the damage an unopposed Dem Senate could do to the GOP is much worse than what they could do.

As absurd as it sounds, the Dems would progress the country socially, which is very dangerous for the GOP. Once you progress to something, it's hard to go back.

He won't, he knows no party is in control forever and the damage an unopposed Dem Senate could do to the GOP is much worse than what they could do.

As absurd as it sounds, the Dems would progress the country socially, which is very dangerous for the GOP. Once you progress to something, it's hard to go back.

As evidenced by this titanic throwdown over Obamacare (which, let's remember, still isn't actually all that popular; it's not far above water!), once you give people stuff they're loath to let you take it back.

S'why we need to nuke the filibuster from orbit day 1. If we can demonstrate that government can work for people, Republicans lose bigly.

Teggy

Someone should explain to Trump what would have happened if Harry Reid had abolished the filibuster when he was majority leader.

Don't get too excited about Democrats ending the filibuster when they take control again

McConnell has no regard for senate norms at all and even he's hesitant to get rid of it. I don't really see Schumer doing it

Ithil

Don't get too excited about Democrats ending the filibuster when they take control again

McConnell has no regard for senate norms at all and even he's hesitant to get rid of it. I don't really see Schumer doing it

I'm not gonna be a hypocrite and say it should be when it's the side I support in control. It's there for a reason. A simple majority being able to do whatever they want is not democratic at all.

The problem is not in the rules, it's in the fact that the GOP do nothing but obstruct just for the sake of harming the other party and only care about being reelected.

I'm not gonna be a hypocrite and say it should be when it's the side I support in control. It's there for a reason. A simple majority being able to do whatever they want is not democratic at all.

It's explicitly democratic. Requiring a near 2/3rds majority to get anything done is just a mechanism to block change, one that barely even applies to the Republicans anymore as they've shown the willingness to disregard the Parliamentarian anyway.

The filibuster didn't even exist originally, and it was created entirely by accident. The current cloture procedure wasn't created until the 20th century, and even then it used to be a 67-vote threshold instead of the current 60. This isn't some sacred check that the Founding Fathers wrote into the Constitution, more just a tradition that's built up over time, and a pretty stupid one at that. Requiring a supermajority in an already unrepresentative body to get almost anything done is undemocratic. Maybe if there were some cost to a filibuster or it took an extraordinary amount of organization it would be one thing, but as it is the filibuster is far too painless. It really should go.

Can we talk about badly Heller fucked up this vote? He staked out such a strong stance against BCRA and now he looks like a total idiot for voting for skinny repeal, going against the much more popular Sandoval in the process. His approval ratings are such shit because he takes two-sided stances like this, so he has neither support from his base nor good will from Democrats.

Can we talk about badly Heller fucked up this vote? He staked out such a strong stance against BCRA and now he looks like a total idiot for voting for skinny repeal, going against the much more popular Sandoval in the process. His approval ratings are such shit because he takes two-sided stances like this, so he has neither support from his base nor good will from Democrats.
Heller is a dead man now. He was bought off and now is going to face the consequences.

Heller realized he lost his election between the first vote and the final vote.

Knowing that he was going to no longer have a job, he's making sure he still has friends on the outside to get him a nice position

It's a text book revolving door case

Heller realized he lost his election between the first vote and the final vote.

Knowing that he was going to no longer have a job, he's making sure he still has friends on the outside to get him a nice position

It's a text book revolving door case
Generally I don't think any incumbent senator ever realizes they've lost their reelection. Heller going "fuck it YOLO" would be pretty unusual.

Blader

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/891306603890266113

So he's going to need to replace his CIA director too?

This is a cluster fuck.

That makes sense. Trump hasn't liked McMaster from almost the beginning, and Pompeo is at the White House all the time as it is (think I read somewhere Trump makes him drive from Langley to DC nearly every day).

Generally I don't think any incumbent senator ever realizes they've lost their reelection. Heller going "fuck it YOLO" would be pretty unusual.

I'm not sure it's all that different from all House Democrats who voted for the ACA knowing full well it would cost them their seats in 2010.

When it came out that Heller's approvals were like 29 percent now, I knew he was going to take a fuck-it, true-believer vote on this. When you're that far underwater, consequences don't matter.

kirblar

He's massively underwater with what appears to be a wave election on its way. He knows he's toast, so there's two options - vote your conscience, or vote what you think gets you a high paying job.

The filibuster didn't even exist originally, and it was created entirely by accident. The current cloture procedure wasn't created until the 20th century, and even then it used to be a 67-vote threshold instead of the current 60. This isn't some sacred check that the Founding Fathers wrote into the Constitution, more just a tradition that's built up over time, and a pretty stupid one at that. Requiring a supermajority in an already unrepresentative body to get almost anything done is undemocratic. Maybe if there were some cost to a filibuster or it took an extraordinary amount of organization it would be one thing, but as it is the filibuster is far too painless. It really should go.

The filibuster also insulates the public from the consequences of their votes. I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth, but the American people should have to square what RRR governance looks like. That way they also get to square what DDD governance looks like.

Ernest

Banned
BTW, regarding his military transgender "ban", when Trump said "after consulting my generals"; has anyone asked him or his staff/spokespeople which actual generals he consulted with about this, and has there been any followup with those generals?

And if he hasn't "consulted" anyone, why not keep hammering away at him asking why he would say that if he hadn't done so?

BTW, regarding his military transgender "ban", when Trump said "after consulting my generals"; has anyone asked him or his staff/spokespeople which actual generals he consulted with about this, and has there been any followup with those generals?

And if he hasn't "consulted" anyone, why not keep hammering away at him asking why he would say that if he hadn't done so?

Given the reactions, it was likely just Mattis. And it was more like, "Hey, I'm tweeting this now. Ok, bye."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom