• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

More Trump tweets:

"After seven years of "talking" Repeal & Replace, the people of our great country are still being forced to live with imploding ObamaCare!"

"If a new HealthCare Bill is not approved quickly, BAILOUTS for Insurance Companies and BAILOUTS for Members of Congress will end very soon!"

Translation: People are being forced to live with a loaded gun to their heads. I'm holding the gun.

More Trump tweets:

"After seven years of "talking" Repeal & Replace, the people of our great country are still being forced to live with imploding ObamaCare!"

"If a new HealthCare Bill is not approved quickly, BAILOUTS for Insurance Companies and BAILOUTS for Members of Congress will end very soon!"

Translation: People are being forced to live with a loaded gun to their heads. I'm holding the gun.

Spoiler Alreat: The gun has no bullets.

Ernest

Banned
https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/891306603890266113

So he's going to need to replace his CIA director too?

This is a cluster fuck.
At this point, the only logical explanation is that rather than resigning, he's trying to get impeached. Because then, he can push his typical narrative of "me against everyone else", and how he did nothing wrong and that he was "betrayed" rather than the truth: that he fucking hated the job and just wanted OUT.

dramatis

We can't donate a quarter of our salary to you, but we hope you can appreciate the offer of a free rundown of this week's education headlines.
DeVos announces $100,000 donation from President Trump

U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos appeared at a White House briefing on Wednesday to announce that President Trump would be donating his second-quarter salary to the Education Department. The money will reportedly go to a science, technology, engineering and math-focused camp for students to be hosted at department. An unidentified spokesperson for the department told NPR, "We are in the beginning stages of the planning process, and as we have more information, we will provide it."

Trump's budget request in May called for a $9.2 billion cut to the Education Department's budget.
Somehow, this will fool people.

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/891306603890266113

So he's going to need to replace his CIA director too?

This is a cluster fuck.

Wonder what Ben Garrison thinks about him?

DF3cpdMVwAAWIK0.jpg

Oh he's a (((globalist))).

Vixdean

The Democrats should just propose a bill with increased subsidies, refunding the risk corridors, and a public option but title it "Trump's Better Health Care Act That's Totally Different and Better Than Obamacare, Believe Me". He would sign it in a second.

kirblar

The Democrats should just propose a bill with increased subsidies, refunding the risk corridors, and a public option but title it "Trump's Better Health Care Act That's Totally Different and Better Than Obamacare, Believe Me". He would sign it in a second.
Some of the market stabilization stuff that was supposed to be in the ACA ended up in the BCRA and Pelosi's office is sending out messaging pointing out that they're totally willing to go for that part of the bill by itself.

probably the least amount of labels I've seen in a Ben garrison political cartoon. He usually has to specifically label every single element of the drawing because he's unaware of how to convey something without directly telling you what it is

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I would be all for this BUT the with mcconnel and Ryan controlling the calendar it will never see the floor for a vote

probably the least amount of labels I've seen in a Ben garrison political cartoon. He usually has to specifically label every single element of the drawing because he's unaware of how to convey something without directly telling you what it is
I'm surprised he didn't label each wire to be honest.
At least generals normally wear name tags anyway :/

Barzul

Wait so he wants to stop funding the CSR's and think he won't get any blame? Even the most rabid of Trump supporters will see the logic right?

I don't think he trusts his intended audience to understand it without labeling everything.

Vixdean

I would be all for this BUT the with mcconnel and Ryan controlling the calendar it will never see the floor for a vote

I dunno, I think we learned throughout this whole thing that they are fine with being Trump's bitch and if gets his base behind a bill, they'll have no choice but to bring it to a vote. Throw in the stupid shit like increased HSA limits or a couple other bad conservative ideas just to market it.

Ernest

Banned
One thing Congress LOVES is having to hold confirmation hearings on positions they held confirmation hearings on less than six months previous.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Democrats should get rid of the filibuster as soon as they take back the White House. They're facing a growing structural disadvantage towards gaining 60 votes now unless we manage to change the makeup of the Senate itself, which is obviously unlikely. Do it, pass progressive legislation that's broadly popular with the public, and then dare Republicans to take it away once they're back in power.

Wilsongt

"8 Democrats holding the country hostage..."

Why does this seem familiar...

“They will send our economy into a tailspin, just like Speaker Boehner said,” Obama said. “Now they’ve gone beyond just holding Congress hostage, they’re holding the whole country hostage.”

The remarks were the third time this week Obama made the case against Republican attempts to defund his health care law. In Missouri, he tried to explain to Americans what the debt ceiling means and how a default would affect them, Obama offered an extended metaphor comparing the nation’s debt to the monthly payments on a new car.

There we go.

Democrats should get rid of the filibuster as soon as they take back the White House. They're facing a growing structural disadvantage towards gaining 60 votes now unless we manage to change the makeup of the Senate itself, which is obviously unlikely. Do it, pass progressive legislation that's broadly popular with the public, and then dare Republicans to take it away once they're back in power.
Really the next time there's a D trifecta we should get rid of it.

Obamacare passed with 60 votes and Republicans want to repeal it with 50. That's total bullshit. Each party is playing under a different set of rules.

Blader

omg politico

The arrival of Anthony Scaramucci was expected to invigorate Trump and seemingly worked for a few days. But it created what may have been the most combustible staff blowup yet.

By calling the White House chief of staff a “f------ paranoid schizophrenic” and suggesting that chief strategist Steve Bannon goes through acrobatics to try and give himself self-love, he gave many people a public, on-the-record dose of the building’s internal dynamics.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/28/trump-new-chief-of-staff-kelly-west-wing-shakeup-241116

NeoXChaos

Really the next time there's a D trifecta we should get rid of it.

Obamacare passed with 60 votes and Republicans want to repeal it with 50. That's total bullshit. Each party is playing under a different set of rules.

With the Senate having an eventual R-lean structure plus the House already having an R-bias I wonder when Democrats will created a coalition that will be able to break the cycle? If they win it in 18 I can't see House control lasting no more than 4 years.

Republicans have manage to control the House 20 of 24 years come 2019 since 1995 following a 40 years Democratic rule. The Senate with the mid-west the way its trending and the Romney 5 of WV, IN, MO, MT & ND going R through incumbent defeat or retirement eventually makes Democratic Senate chances dire in 6-12 years.

I guess you could counter with AZ, NC, TX, GA? but that may be 20 years out instead of 6-12.

With the Senate having an eventual R-lean structure plus the House already having an R-bias I wonder when Democrats will created a coalition that will be able to break the cycle? If they win it in 18 I can't see House control lasting no more than 4 years.

Republicans have manage to control the House 20 of 24 years come 2019 since 1995 following a 40 years Democratic rule. The Senate with the mid-west the way its trending and the Romney 5 of WV, IN, MO, MT & ND going R through incumbent defeat or retirement eventually makes Democratic Senate chances dire in 6-12 years.

I guess you could counter with AZ, NC, TX, GA? but that may be 20 years out instead of 6-12.

If we control the redistricting after the 2020 census, we can make the House Dem-leaning or at least neutral. The Senate, however, will probably become more difficult because of the issues you mention.

Let's all take a Xanax.

https://mirsnews.com/welcome.php

It's behind a paywall but this news outlet's poll has Debbie Stabenow beating Kid Rock by 8 points, 50-42. Still a bit closer than I'm comfortable with, but hey.

Target Insyght is the pollster, are they any good? A quick google glance shows they blew the Dem primary in 2016 but got the GE right (48/48 tie in their final poll).

Pryce

How the fuck does Kid Rock get 42% in a poll.

Like.

Who looks at that and goes "yeah"? Our education system has failed us.

Crocodile

How the fuck does Kid Rock get 42% in a poll.

Like.

Who looks at that and goes "yeah"? Our education system has failed us.

People are voting for "celebrity" not policy positions

Clearly what the Democrats need are more actors/singers/etc. who already care a great deal about politics, have them study up on all the important domestic and foreign policies issues (so they know what they are talking about and can legislate) and have them run for office. I feel George Clooney could win a Senate seat as long as he demonstrated he really knew what the fuck he was talking about when it came to policy.

I slept at my gf's house last night and left at around 5am. Listened to a rock station on the way home and the announcer introduced a Kid Rock song with "maaaybe the next US Senator?" as if that'd be the greatest thing ever.

I haaate when people do that, like it's so funny that some random celebrity would be a politician somewhere except they usually end up shitting up the state they represent or govern. The exception being Franken.

If Democrats fall one seat short of a Senate majority because of Kid Rock I'm coming after you 93x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom