• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

I have a hard time disagreeing with it. A fatal Nazi terrorist attack just happened on American soil and the President responded with a halfhearted shrug.

Nazi's killed an american on video and the President fucking shrugged.
I guess you're right. There've just been so many lows these past 7 months that I'm not really in the mood to rank them based on how horrible they've been.

Teggy

Stolen from the trump statement thread

1W0GViD.png

Kander/Yates 2020 (Yates/Kander? Fine with me)

By the way, regardless of your political beliefs, it's glaringly obvious that the resurgence in Bernie Broism, Tulsitude and Hillary sucked infighting is being deliberately fueled by outside agitators. It's effective too. Look at this thread.

Yeah and I think with what happened today it's even easier than ever to see who is sincere (ie participated in the various Charlottesville threads with earnest contributions and solutions) and who isn't (aka conspicuously absent from those threads entirely... and one very specific person was very very conspicuous by their absence, I hope everyone regardless of who they want in 2020 learns to fully ignore them.)

pigeon

Banned
Yeah and I think with what happened today it's even easier than ever to see who is sincere (ie participated in the various Charlottesville threads with earnest contributions and solutions) and who isn't (aka conspicuously absent from those threads entirely... and one very specific person was very very conspicuous by their absence, I hope everyone regardless of who they want in 2020 learns to fully ignore them.)

Just say Tiguere

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My condolences.

We had one of our politicians murdered by a neonazi last year, a Labour MP with two young children and a community who loved her. I thought things couldn't be much worse. I now know otherwise. Her murder was condemned by every politician of every party, the man responsible faced immediate justice, and white supremacy was called out for what it was. I struggle to conceive where we would be if our government had tacitly ignored this, that the system could fall so low. You have my deepest and sincerest sympathies.

The Trump presidency is like experiencing mild forms of some of America's toughest crisis all at once. Cold War, WW2, Civil War, and the Cuban Missile Crisis. I'm afraid all of these threats will only get worse under Trump. Also given how this administration is running; I'm worried that another major domestic terror attack (whether from the Radical Right or ISIS) is around the corner.

So a question for everyone, Do you think Russia succeeded in destroying America? It's well documented that Russian bots were working on radicalizing people through propaganda encouraging racist, sexist, KKK, Nazi, etc. behavior. Specifically spread a lot of anti-BLM stuff. Their main goal is to cause chaos for the US and just have us confused and fighting each other. I'd say the Russians also hijacked Bernie's campaign and turned his supporters into Bernie Bros. I'd also say that Russian bots also pretended to be Bernie supporters that said things to further divide Clinton and Sanders base. There was just something completely weird with the hatred the two bases had for each other and still do. Not even getting into the Trump angle. Or that there is at least one Russian snake in Congress. Or that they have apparently been slowing hacking our entire infrastructure. Or that senior officials have said that the Russians know most everything on us and they assume someone in Trumps admin is whispering into Putin's ear. The Trump administration was caught on numerous occasions trying to setup a direct private line to Russia. They could've succeeded for all we know.

hobozero

The Trump presidency is like experiencing mild forms of some of America's toughest crisis all at once. Cold War, WW2, Civil War, and the Cuban Missile Crisis. I'm afraid all of these threats will only get worse under Trump. Also given how this administration is running; I'm worried that another major domestic terror attack (whether from the Radical Right or ISIS) is around the corner.

So a question for everyone, Do you think Russia succeeded in destroying America? It's well documented that Russian bots were working on radicalizing people through propaganda encouraging racist, sexist, KKK, Nazi, etc. behavior. Specifically spread a lot of anti-BLM stuff. Their main goal is to cause chaos for the US and just have us confused and fighting each other. I'd say the Russians also hijacked Bernie's campaign and turned his supporters into Bernie Bros. I'd also say that Russian bots also pretended to be Bernie supporters that said things to further divide Clinton and Sanders base. There was just something completely weird with the hatred the two bases had for each other and still do. Not even getting into the Trump angle. Or that there is at least one Russian snake in Congress. Or that they have apparently been slowing hacking our entire infrastructure. Or that senior officials have said that the Russians know most everything on us and they assume someone in Trumps admin is whispering into Putin's ear. The Trump administration was caught on numerous occasions trying to setup a direct private line to Russia. They could've succeeded for all we know.

I like to believe it takes more than a few bots on social media to do country-ending damage. Lincoln was oddly prescient:

“From whence shall we expect the approach of danger? Shall some trans-Atlantic military giant step the earth and crush us at a blow? Never. All the armies of Europe and Asia...could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years. No, if destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.”

Only Republicans in America are willing to radically change their views like this to follow their newest cult of personality. They are plastic. Mold-able. Lacking in a sense of self.

There are no two sides. The other side isn't like this.

RZbNHAc.jpg

Joe

87UpLtx.jpg

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula's newest issue of its digital magazine is dedicated to train derailment.

https://ent.siteintelgroup.com/Peri...-construction-u-s-passenger-train-routes.html
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) dedicated the 17th issue of its Inspire Magazine to train derailment and impacting the transportation sector, reviewing the economic impact, giving designs and instructions for fabricating a derail tool, and providing major passenger train routes in the United States.

I thought about making a thread but tensions are already high and stress was probably already an issue for a lot of people even before this weekend.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why does Al-Qaeda have a digital magazine

Same reason it has social media operations and a PR department and declared that producing propaganda was one of the highest forms of jihad. Recruits don't just happen.

IS is the same.

My condolences.

We had one of our politicians murdered by a neonazi last year, a Labour MP with two young children and a community who loved her. I thought things couldn't be much worse. I now know otherwise. Her murder was condemned by every politician of every party, the man responsible faced immediate justice, and white supremacy was called out for what it was. I struggle to conceive where we would be if our government had tacitly ignored this, that the system could fall so low. You have my deepest and sincerest sympathies.

To be fair, most of the republicans called them racist, Nazis, white supremacists, and terrorist. (even called out Trump on twitter for not using those words). The problem is that the republicans know this is their base, refuse to acknowledge that, and of course refuse to push any type of legislation to help put an end to it.

The bar has been dropped so low that if you condemn a terrorist attack or a nazi rally then you get street cred as a Republican.

Gabriel Sherman‏Verified account @gabrielsherman 17m17 minutes ago

When I asked senior WH official why Trump didn't condemn Cville Nazis, he said: "What about the leftist mob. Just as violent if not more so"

87UpLtx.jpg

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula's newest issue of its digital magazine is dedicated to train derailment.

https://ent.siteintelgroup.com/Peri...-construction-u-s-passenger-train-routes.html

I thought about making a thread but tensions are already high and stress was probably already an issue for a lot of people even before this weekend.
Add to another list of things these people are never going to do.

These geniuses set their balls on fire instead of detonating bombs. How does anyone figure they'll be able to pull off such an organized stunt.

Jake Tapper to that Homeland Security adviser: "How many people did counter-protesters kill yesterday?" This dude is still in full Both Sides mode. We're obviously not getting any apologies or clarifications.

"Leftist mob?" In what country?

They need a counter-narrative, so "both sides" is going to be their talking point.

Very disturbing that they go down that path.

I expected that from Cheeto, not the administration. Kelly should resign if he has any dignity left.

Gotta start laying the groundwork at some point.
This is a horrible idea.

If you can do it to them, they can do it to you.

It's their violence that makes them most dangerous, and the violence/conspiring to commit violence is already illegal. We don't need to make speech illegal, too.

A whole host of Western democracies have wholly justified restrictions on hate speech, without barrelling down some imagined slippery slope.
I fail to see what "they can do to you" were the US ever able to do anything to quell racist bullshit that constitutes incitement to violence.

kess

The countries that have fell down or are falling down the slippery slope are countries where the independent judiciary has succumbed to the will of the ruling party or is under attack. Unsurprisingly, people compare hate speech laws in Germany and Russia while conveniently ignoring this.

Pixieking

Banned
This is a horrible idea.

If you can do it to them, they can do it to you.

It's their violence that makes them most dangerous, and the violence/conspiring to commit violence is already illegal. We don't need to make speech illegal, too.

But it's not the violence that makes them most dangerous. They're perpetuating racist myths, feeding them to their children, breeding ignorance and fear amongst communities, and that can only lead to violence in the end. Trump has normalised their irrational hate, and what we're seeing now is the culmination of years of anti-Jewish, anti-minority, anti-PC, anti-women talk. Do you honestly think that if you say "It's okay to talk, but don't think about violence" tihngs will get better?

Here's an excerpt from the WaPo article about the march:
By early afternoon, hundreds of rallygoers had made their way to a larger park two miles to the north. Duke, speaking to the crowd, said that European Americans are ”being ethnically cleansed within our own nation" and called Saturday's events ”the first step toward taking America back."

White nationalist leader Richard Spencer also addressed the group, urging people to disperse. But he promised they would return for a future demonstration, blaming Saturday's violence on counterprotesters.

In an interview, Spencer said he was ”beyond outraged" that police had declared the planned rally an ”unlawful assembly."

”I never before thought that I would have my country cracking down on me and on free speech," he said. ”We were lawfully and peacefully assembled. We came in peace, and the state cracked down."

He said that counterprotesters attacked rallygoers but also acknowledged that ”maybe someone threw a first punch on our side. Maybe that happened. I obviously didn't see everything."

Are you seriously saying that it'll stop at talk, when the talk is so abhorrent?

From the same article:

Michael Von Kotch, a Pennsylvania resident who called himself a Nazi, said the rally made him ”proud to be white."

Edit: Or, tl;dr - freedom of speech should not ever be freedom to relive 1930s and 1940s Germany.

Right, the "leftist mob" that's running cars into crowds.

Of course as bad as the false equivalence is, what's more disturbing is just how openly the Trump administration is going about defending Nazis.

Saying any statement by Gorka is troubling is redundant, but Gorka's statements on the eve of the protest were insane in their defense of Nazism.

If that story of Trump building suspicion against Steve Bannon is true, then clearly the opportunity should be taken to target Bannon and his role in the White House. Anything that has a chance of getting this slime removed should be considered.

If that story of Trump building suspicion against Steve Bannon is true, then clearly the opportunity should be taken to target Bannon and his role in the White House. Anything that has a chance of getting this slime removed should be considered.

McMaster is getting grilled on Bannon in Meet the Press this morning. He's pretty much refusing to say if he can work with Bannon, despite being asked specifically three times if he can.

Could you imagine how much worse things would be if he were Comms director?

Although, Kelly as been doing a garbage job too if Trump's statement yesterday was considered acceptable.

It'd be terrible, but it's not exactly a secret that Mooch was trying to get rid of Bannon. If the Mooch stuck around longer, we would've had a better chance getting rid of Bannon entirely.

Absolutely. Johnson was once regarded as a near great president due to Lost Cause historiography. Their smear campaign against Grant was longer lasting, to the point where his legacy is only now being revisited.

I can think of few things more terribly damaging to this country than the Lost Cause movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom