• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

I stand corrected.

Now get me a fainting couch. I have the vapors.

(Will have to wait and see if it's just a perfunctory display. I hope it's thorough.)

I'm sure it will be a thorough investigation of how it was the counterprotesters fault and the left are terrorists while the Nazis were just nice pacifists minding their own business.

Could you imagine how much worse things would be if he were Comms director?

Although, Kelly as been doing a garbage job too if Trump's statement yesterday was considered acceptable.
For a White House notorious for chaos, the response to these events has been well coordinated and disciplined. And the message they're pushing is to tell the Nazis that Trump stands with them.

sphagnum

Banned
This is a horrible idea.

If you can do it to them, they can do it to you.

It's their violence that makes them most dangerous, and the violence/conspiring to commit violence is already illegal. We don't need to make speech illegal, too.

What are they going to do, ban communism? I would just switch to social democratic talking points in the open for a while.

Ideologies that are based entirely on a purpose of genocide have no value in public discourse. If they gain power they can only lewd to death. And they are fueled by "innocent" legal hate speech, as the past decade has shown.

For a White House notorious for chaos, the response to these events has been well coordinated and disciplined. And the message they're pushing is to tell the Nazis that Trump stands with them.

They have no one else to whom they can appeal. In their minds, they've lost most of the country, so why not go for the one group that supports Trump unwaveringly?

Or he starts a war. His strikes against Syria seemed to be the one move that a # of his supporters (at least online) didn't seem to like.

Ironically, he seems to be under the impression that declaring war will make his numbers go way up, when in reality the only thing that makes his numbers go up is when he stops tweeting and reads from the teleprompter.

barber

It is really stupid that the campaign for 2020 has already started. It is really stupid and it is probably a thing that will stick for future presidents.

It is really stupid that the campaign for 2020 has already started. It is really stupid and it is probably a thing that will stick for future presidents.

Republicans benefit from having early challengers since that gives them more time to demonize the opposition. They were screaming about Hillary years before she announced her '16 candidacy.

barber

Republicans benefit from having early challengers since that gives them more time to demonize the opposition. They were screaming about Hillary years before she announced her '16 candidacy.

Yeah, but at least Hillary didnt start campaigning until the primary started. Being the clear candidate is different than Trump already doing campaign ads for 2020.

@JoshuaGreen
Trump came under pressure to condemn alt-right racism during the campaign and refused. In my book, Bannon explained why -->

DHDspg1XkAE2-5N.jpg

Yeah, but at least Hillary didnt start campaigning until the primary started. Being the clear candidate is different than Trump already doing campaign ads for 2020.

Trump is campaigning early because that's the only part of the job he feels comfortable with. He can't get anything done on the policy front so he goes back to shouting at his base of deplorables.

barber

Trump is campaigning early because that's the only part of the job he feels comfortable with. He can't get anything done on the policy front so goes back to shouting at his base of deplorables.

Yeah I understand why he does it. What I can't understand is why that is allowed! Most countries have laws limiting the time you can be campaigning, and I find that campaigning for something that is going to happen in 3 years is pretty nasty.

Yeah I understand why he does it. What I can't understand is why that is allowed! Most countries have laws limiting the time you can be campaigning, and I find that campaigning for something that is going to happen in 3 years is pretty nasty.

When America was drafting the rules for its government, nobody took into account that the measures for preventing a crazy populist to take over would fail.

Our system of checks and balances are so weak that the only reason we aren't being steam rolled right now is due to how immensely incompetent Trump is. Imagine what it'll be like if someone who knew what they were doing managed to capture the hearts of American racists like this?

kess

Because ideology trumps rationality in America. Always has, always will.

Teggy

The yesyoureracist guy got a little sloppy and posted a picture of YouTuber Joey Salads in a nazi arm band from one of his "social experiments" as a picture from Charlottesville. I feel a little bad for the guy but no too bad because he's terrible.

royalan

Yeah, this is the new normal, unfortunately. And it's not new to Trump. This has been the Republicans' mode since Obama was elected. Part of the reason 2010 was such a bloodbath is the Republicans giving up actually legislating and going right into campaign mode the day after the election. And part of the reason Democrats get shellacked is we ignore this, and show up the year of the election ready to play on a field where the rules and narrative have already been set.

To be in government now is to be in a constant state of campaigning. If an OG like Maxine Waters gets this the rest of the party really should wake up to it, too.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought her polling lead vanished in September because she disappeared for all of August and also because she died on 9/11.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I thought her polling lead vanished in September because she disappeared for all of August and also because she died on 9/11.
Jet fuel can't melt teberculosis.

Edit: oh god I was joking, I didn't know teberculosis was an actual theory from nut jobs for her illness in September. fml

jtb

Banned
Every single person who voted for a raging Nazi as our president is "deplorable" and every single media hack who has apologized for them and their decision while crying 'don't insult the poor racist voters! ps being called a racist is worse than racism' is complicit.

If you're unwilling to negotiate on anything, a lot of your bargaining power evaporates pretty quickly. The Tea Party succeeded because they controlled the majority. If your goal is to prevent a majority from ever occurring, then you're not actually going to have any bargaining power because there's nothing to hold hostage in the first place.

Wilsongt

BLM! Antifa! Bussed in by SOROS. Peaceful assembly until BLM arrived!

This fucking country needs to learn how to teach history better.

I'm trying to find a silver lining. We've never seen a US president and his administration publicly back Nazi's before, let alone Nazi's who drove a 425 hp muscle car into a crowd of innocent people. I'm hoping this helps wake people up who dont follow politics and convinces them to register to vote, or get back those Obama voters we lost to Trump.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My question is, since the nazis clearly feel emboldened and loved (from lack of direct condemnation) when is there next rally going to be, and how much larger?

They would want to capitalize quickly if they saw yesterday as a big victory.

I think the Richard Spencer's and David dukes were caught off guard at how successful their reception was and why they hedged in their responses vs other nazis clearly feeling the love.

Edit: they will also clearly want to drum up a bunch of counter protests to get a heavy dose of conflict and "both sides" so I expect the propaganda leading up to the next demonstration to be heavy.

Teggy

This is the point where Trump cemented himself as the worst president in modern history. I still think Jackson is the worst period, but Trump idolizes him, so it's a rather close second.
Jackson was terrible, but at least he was not an idiot and wasn't the puppet of our enemy. Also he was very much a product of his times (as terrible as they were), I'd like to believe even he'd be more woke than Trump is if he were elected today.
TLDR; I think a good case could be made for Trump being the worst ever. Thankfully his incompetence often trips him up.

Samantha Bloom said her son had told her last week he was heading to an "alt right" rally in Virginia, the Blade reported.
"I try to stay out of his political views. I don't get too involved,” she told the newspaper.
"I told him to be careful," she said, "if they are going to rally, to make sure he is doing it peacefully." She then broke down in tears.
She later told the Associated Press that she believed the rally was to support President Trump, not white supremacy.
"I thought it had something to do with Trump. Trump’s not a white supremacist,” Bloom told the AP.
“He had an African-American friend so ...,” she said, trailing off.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoe...sville-crash?utm_term=.scnJXqx5dr#.mcQdbZQpae

this is like all of the awful ignorance of white republicans in one quote. jesus.

This is a classic Trump play.

Have a stupid opinion or make a statement that's incredibly unpopular and harms your credibility. Be called out on it by basically everyone. Double down on it. Poll numbers drop several points. Be frustrated when nothing gets done and everyone laughs at you

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The Clinton tweet was actually a set of 4(?) tweets that should have been numbered. When I first saw the tweet I thought it was awfully bland, but she expanded a lot on it in the next few.

Interview with the guy who was beaten in the parking garage (graphic pictures of his stapled wound)

http://www.theroot.com/interview-20-year-old-deandre-harris-speaks-out-about-1797796038/amp

Indeed
qLaJ1QX.png

God those pictures of that kids head gushing blood :(
he's lucky they didn't actually kill him. Glad the photographer intervened. Would have been "easy" just to document and do nothing.

This is an indictment of the audience more than the person delivering the message. Yesterday showed Hillary was right and this shit needs to be said loudly even if it doesn't "move your numbers" because it's the right thing to do.

Most people waved off Hillary as being hyperbolic. There is a broad swath of this country that dabbles in racism because it makes them feel good, but they shy away from the fully visible ugly visage of true hate. They hide in denial enabled by their privilege.

I think this is an important inflection point. When confronted with the fact that they are siding with actual, honest to God, Nazis, some will finally self reflect. We are already seeing it a bit. The question is, how many? How many will stand up against blatant and grotesque hate and how many will just succumb to tribalism and double down?

I'm not particularly optimistic, but I can't completely let go of hope.

Holmes

Hillary always had strong and true words about race and race relations during the campaign. I wish she had the office of the Presidency to make these statements.

Whites would get more pissed, though.

Most people waved off Hillary as being hyperbolic. There is a broad swath of this country that dabbles in racism because it makes them feel good, but they shy away from the fully visible ugly visage of true hate. They hide in denial enabled by their privilege.

I think this is an important inflection point. When confronted with the fact that they are siding with actual, honest to God, Nazis, some will finally self reflect. We are already seeing it a bit. The question is, how many? How many will stand up against blatant and grotesque hate and how many will just succumb to tribalism and double down?

I'm not particularly optimistic, but I can't completely let go of hope.

From a more practical point of view, the Senate has been taking clear steps recently to gain measurable distance from Trump, and with the statements leadership has made about this, I think they have blinkers on for the exit ramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom