• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackson was terrible, but at least he was not an idiot and wasn't the puppet of our enemy. Also he was very much a product of his times (as terrible as they were), I'd like to believe even he'd be more woke than Trump is if he were elected today.
TLDR; I think a good case could be made for Trump being the worst ever. Thankfully his incompetence often trips him up.

It's very difficult for me to give Jackson the benefit of the doubt because he enacted the Native Genocide by ignoring a ruling from SCOTUS and creating a constitutional crisis.

ErichWK

It's really blowing my mind being on Facebook and seeing so many people defending the Nazis. One of my favorite punk rock record labels posted, "Nazi Punks Fuck Off"...and seeing some responses in there is crushing me. They always seem to be young men. How did we get to this point.

FyreWulff

It's really blowing my mind being on Facebook and seeing so many people defending the Nazis. One of my favorite punk rock record labels posted, "Nazi Punks Fuck Off"...and seeing some responses in there is crushing me. They always seem to be young men. How did we get to this point.

Nazis actively recruit young men. They're just like any other gang, the old ones recruit young ones to do their fighting for them and then keep collecting money and recruits as they all go to jail one by one.

jtb

Banned

I'm torn between whether the internet radicalizes people into nazis or if it merely exposes them as what they've always been.

This is a classic Trump play.

Have a stupid opinion or make a statement that's incredibly unpopular and harms your credibility. Be called out on it by basically everyone. Double down on it. Poll numbers drop several points. Be frustrated when nothing gets done and everyone laughs at you
We're diminishing our base of support and undercutting our political movement! Take that you libtard cucks!

Valhelm

contribute something

video games & youtube & a 400-year legacy of white supremacy

FyreWulff

I'm torn between whether the internet radicalizes people into nazis or if it merely exposes them as what they've always been.

Radicalization is indeed possible over the internet, and it's been one of the main methods neo-nazi/kkk/etc have recruited for the past decade.

it doesn't help that major sites like Reddit allow them to openly recruit on their website, and has now directly led to multiple people being harmed or killed, and even one reddit recruiter almost pulled off a bomb attack.

jtb

Banned
Radicalization is indeed possible over the internet, and it's been one of the main methods neo-nazi/kkk/etc have recruited for the past decade.

it doesn't help that major sites like Reddit allow them to openly recruit on their website, and has now directly led to multiple people being harmed or killed, and even one reddit recruiter almost pulled off a bomb attack.

Yeah. The answer to my question is almost certainly... both!

Valhelm

contribute something

There's no question that the internet has helped Nazism. 4chan, youtube, facebook, twitter, and even tumblr harbor white nationalist communities with hundreds or thousands of posters. These groups attract young white guys and groom them into extremism.

There's also a real continuum between edgy Xbox Live racism and avowed right supremacy, with its terminus being the acts of white terrorism we saw in Charlottesville and Charleston.

My question is, since the nazis clearly feel emboldened and loved (from lack of direct condemnation) when is there next rally going to be, and how much larger?

They would want to capitalize quickly if they saw yesterday as a big victory.

I think the Richard Spencer's and David dukes were caught off guard at how successful their reception was and why they hedged in their responses vs other nazis clearly feeling the love.

Edit: they will also clearly want to drum up a bunch of counter protests to get a heavy dose of conflict and "both sides" so I expect the propaganda leading up to the next demonstration to be heavy.

You only have to wait six days:

pGK50Qx.png

pigeon

Banned
I drank so much vodka that night that I almost blacked out and got alcohol poisoning. I wonder if I should have stopped drinking.

Okay uh if you are feeling suicidal you should stop drinking, talk to some friends and possibly seek help.

The positive here is that a bunch of Republicans actually criticized the President and the Nazis, which I originally did not anticipate happening when the Nazi rallies inevitably occurred. That's actually a good sign for setting a bipartisan consensus that Nazis are evil, even in the fact of Trump being himself a Nazi.

So remember that most Americans are not in favor of Nazi terror attacks.

jtb

Banned
Okay uh if you are feeling suicidal you should stop drinking, talk to some friends and possibly seek help.

The positive here is that a bunch of Republicans actually criticized the President and the Nazis, which I originally did not anticipate happening when the Nazi rallies inevitably occurred. That's actually a good sign for setting a bipartisan consensus that Nazis are evil, even in the fact of Trump being himself a Nazi.

So remember that most Americans are not in favor of Nazi terror attacks.

Has 'saying it' ever been the problem though? I think GOP congressmen have never had any problem saying it, only to use it as cover when they do nothing or push for voter disenfranchisement laws or whatever other godawful stuff they prefer.

Teggy

Is it too much to dream that Bannon will be kicked out this week? Getting him out of the government plus the shitshow it would cause with the pepes...

pigeon

Banned
Has 'saying it' ever been the problem though? I think GOP congressmen have never had any problem saying it, only to use it as cover when they do nothing or push for voter disenfranchisement laws or whatever other godawful stuff they prefer.

They didn't say it when Trump put it in his campaign ads in November, and they didn't call out Trump for refusing to say it before, because it would've required them to cross Trump and their Nazi base.

jtb

Banned
They didn't say it when Trump put it in his campaign ads in November, and they didn't call out Trump for refusing to say it before, because it would've required them to cross Trump and their Nazi base.

I guess. Let's see if this sticks longer than their previous disavowals of Trump.

State TV!

https://thinkprogress.org/fox-frien...ces-are-worth-talking-about-00d3648e06cc/amp/

Luckily for the president, he’ll always have Fox & Friends. The panel didn’t skip a beat on Sunday morning defending Trump’s comments on Charlottesville.

“I think the president nailed it,” said co-host Pete Hegseth. “He condemned in the strongest possible terms hatred and bigotry on all sides as opposed to immediately picking a side out the gate.”

Indeed, Hegseth even went so far as to suggest that the white supremacists in Charlottesville may be making valid points. Though he claimed that their concerns do not justify “racial preferences or violence at all,” Hegseth said that “there’s always a grievance underneath it that it’s worth talking about.”

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"Strongest possible terms." Right.

Also, LOL at "grievance...worth talking about." Interesting how that wasn't the tone they took with BLM.

It's very difficult for me to give Jackson the benefit of the doubt because he enacted the Native Genocide by ignoring a ruling from SCOTUS and creating a constitutional crisis.
Oh, no doubt. He's at least second worst. How might have Trump dealt with the issues Jackson dealt with, given how terrible he is now with a much more modern sensibility to help keep him in check? I guess Jackson is actually the worst but Trump has greater potential to be worse should the wrong conditions arise.
They both really, really suck.

Is Fox and Friends the single most damaging program to this country right now? It sure fucking feels like it.

Hannity is probably worse since it's primetime. Pretty much everyone on the network is pure shit except Chris Wallace and Shep Smith though. Atleast they stand up once in awhile to Trump.

pigeon

Banned
Oh, no doubt. He's at least second worst. How might have Trump dealt with the issues Jackson dealt with, given how terrible he is now with a much more modern sensibility to help keep him in check? I guess Jackson is actually the worst but Trump has greater potential to be worse should the wrong conditions arise.
They both really, really suck.

It's a semantic question, I think.

In terms of how evil he made America Jackson is obviously the worst president ever.

In terms of how much damage he did to America Trump is probably already the worst president ever.

jtb

Banned
Buchanan literally led the country into a civil war. Hard to get more damaging than dissolving the union.

Trump is Buchanan.

It's a semantic question, I think.

In terms of how evil he made America Jackson is obviously the worst president ever.

In terms of how much damage he did to America Trump is probably already the worst president ever.
Yeah it's no accident Jackson is Trump's favorite. I'm guessing with the turd being elected the momentum for replacing Jackson with Tubman on the $20 is stalled?
Regarding Buchanan vs Jackson, Jackson seemed to have more malice.

Bernie shared that old video of him in college talking about the GOP packing racism to their terrible unpopular platform to sell it

Maybe he is catching on.

Ernest

Banned
From GQ, of all places:

Charlottesville is what Trump promised

"Not everyone who voted for Donald Trump is an unapologetic bigot who moderates Stormfront message boards in their spare time. But everyone who voted for him—who saw him speak and heard his rhetoric and believed in his vision for the future—did so understanding exactly with whom they were aligning themselves. For millions of Americans, the fact that their candidate happily courted votes by appealing to the most despicable impulses among us was not a deal-breaker, and the violence that might result from his decision to give those people a voice was a risk they were willing to take."

From GQ, of all places:

Charlottesville is what Trump promised

"Not everyone who voted for Donald Trump is an unapologetic bigot who moderates Stormfront message boards in their spare time. But everyone who voted for him—who saw him speak and heard his rhetoric and believed in his vision for the future—did so understanding exactly with whom they were aligning themselves. For millions of Americans, the fact that their candidate happily courted votes by appealing to the most despicable impulses among us was not a deal-breaker, and the violence that might result from his decision to give those people a voice was a risk they were willing to take."

GQ has been really great lately. Pulling no punches and being extremely blunt regarding Trump.

pigeon

Banned

Being a racist is a belief. You can just think it because of how you were raised, without really considering it very carefully or even realizing it's what you think, and without really knowing how to discuss or defend it. Probably everybody in America believes some racist stuff.

Being a white supremacist is an ideology. It has a coherent, internally consistent belief structure, usually based on Mein Kampf, that provides a rationale for action and for fitting ongoing events into your historical narrative. It has a catechism for mentally managing challenges to your belief and initiating new believers.

People are often just racist. The internet is where they learn (or are often lured unwittingly into believing) that they have a choice between the mainstream ideologies, most of which accept the cosmopolitan agreement that racism is morally wrong and a sin to overcome, or an alternate ideology, in which it is a virtue to be exercised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom