• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nixon resigned with a 24% approval rating and became a prolific speaker and leader of the Republican party in the 80s. I can't predict the future but it would not surprise me if conservatives warmed up to Bush in the next few years because of Trump, seeing as he's the most recent, likable, stalwart conservative.

Nixon kept a pretty low profile until he died. He may have had speaking engagements but you rarely heard peep from him publicly.

Nixon kept a pretty low profile until he died. He may have had speaking engagements but you rarely heard peep from him publicly.
Ten novels including a bestselling memoir, PUBLIC speaking engagements, public endorsement of Ronald Reagan, TV ads during the election, foreign visits, this:
560642_600.jpg

Nixon's best years were after his presidency. He did the opposite of keep a low profile.

Can republicans protect Trump from testifying in front of a grand jury
No, the Constitution already does that.

Weird, because apart from magazine covers like that, I don't recall him being a presence. 1980 was my first really aware election (I was almost 16).

Weird, because apart from magazine covers like that, I don't recall him being a presence. 1980 was my first really aware election (I was almost 16).
he mainly commented on foreign policy
And elections. From the CSM in 1980 (they were around back then?):
Former President Richard M. Nixon will appear on the NBC "Today" show every day next week to discuss presidential politics with NBC consultant- commentator Theodore H. White, Monitor television critic Arthur Unger reports. Starting Monday, Sept 8, the segments will be aired during the first hour of the two-hour show. Mr. White will tape the interviews in Mr. Nixon's study in his New York house. The discussion will include Mr. Nixon's evaluation of the presidential and vice-presidential candidates.
I'd love to watch some of those clips.
EDIT: Here's him on Face the Nation four
years after his resignation.
Quick and penetrating, as always. A very smart man.

Blader

Nixon resigned with a 24% approval rating and became a prolific speaker and leader of the Republican party in the 80s. I can't predict the future but it would not surprise me if conservatives warmed up to Bush in the next few years because of Trump, seeing as he's the most recent, likable, stalwart conservative.

Bush is not as smart as Nixon or as articulate, though, so he doesn't really have anything to offer as a prolific speaker and party leader.

you know what I was just thinking, though - what the hell happened to Spiro Agnew? He was also a hardcore conservative who knew just how to rhetorically energize the base, yet after he resigned in disgrace, he just up and disappeared from public life altogether.

Yeah, he died in 1994.

Crazy to think the last president to die before Nixon was LBJ in 1973. 21 years without a president dying.

We're currently at 11 years since Ford died. Unless HW and Carter are immortal, we're not beating that 21 year stretch.

Obama is the only former president alive today under 70. He's even under 60! He's going be around for a good long time.

There's a chance Obama could be the only former president alive in 10 years, although I doubt Bill and W die any time soon, despite both being 71.

Is his bunker particularly good quality or something?

Carter and HW aren't making it another decade, and W, Bill and Trump are all 71, and will be 81 in 10 years. That's an age range where death could come from minor complications.

Also we have three presidents who were all born in the summer of '46, which is kind of weird.

Blader

Crazy to think the last president to die before Nixon was LBJ in 1973. 21 years without a president dying.

We're currently at 11 years since Ford died. Unless HW and Carter are immortal, we're not beating that 21 year stretch.

Obama is the only former president alive today under 70. He's even under 60! He's going be around for a good long time.

There's a chance Obama could be the only former president alive in 10 years, although I doubt Bill and W die any time soon, despite both being 71.

What's nuts is that when LBJ died, there were no living former presidents at all until Nixon resigned the following year. JFK, Eisenhower, Truman, and LBJ all died within a decade of each other - and those last three all happened in just four years.

Carter and HW aren't making it another decade, and W, Bill and Trump are all 71, and will be 81 in 10 years. That's an age range where death could come from minor complications.

Also we have three presidents who were all born in the summer of '48, which is kind of weird.
Summer of '46, but yes, that is a solid piece of trivia.

The New York Times‏
@nytimes

Harvey gives Trump a chance to reclaim power to unify

Seeing headlines like this on my feed below news articles about Trump using the hurricane as cover to pardon Arpaio and ban transgender soldiers makes my eyes roll out of my skull.

News media is great, we owe them a lot, but they are so garbage so consistently.

Seeing headlines like this on my feed below news articles about Trump using the hurricane as cover to pardon Arpaio and ban transgender soldiers makes my eyes roll out of my skull.

News media is great, we owe them a lot, but they are so garbage so consistently.

The hurricane isn't even over and he's already found ways of messing it up. Going too early, refusing Mexican aid, tweeting about inane things nobody cares about while thousands have their lives destroyed, bragging about the storm as if the size is an accomplishment.

And there's talk of tying wall funding to any relief funding, and it's going to turn into a big mess.

There won't be unity.

Emarv

I often try to imagine what Meuller's pitch is to the other big lawyers he hires. I imagine he has to keep it vague and confidential, but has to explain enough for these guys to leave their multimillion dollar jobs.

Maybe something like, "How would you like to be a part of history?"

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I often try to imagine what Meuller's pitch is to the other big lawyers he hires. I imagine he has to keep it vague and confidential, but has to explain enough for these guys to leave their multimillion dollar jobs.

Maybe something like, "How would you like to be a part of history?"

Actually I think he doesn't need to make an argument at all. Other high powered lawyers in these kinds of fields will know if Mueller and they'll know that if he left millions on the table to go back then it is a big deal.

tbm24

They aren't wrong, like it or not Trump is president and he has to manage this hurricane and the aftermath. If, by some grace of god, Trump and team manage to do what can be considered a good job, he has the chance to earn praise for it. That doesn't invalidate all the other shit he's done.

I can be grateful to the media for exposing Trump but also say fuck you for the shit they constantly pull and the fact that they are a decent portion of the reason he is there in the first place

UPDATE: Trump's companies have pimped the following properties and services on Twitter during Hurricane Harvey. Note, all of these come through trumps_feed, so he at least has to scroll through them:

1. Trump Tower, Punta del Este in Uruguay
2. Trump golf course in Los Angeles
3. Trump Banquet services in Miami
4 "Getting to know the groundskeepers" video on Trump's golf courses
5. 9th annual Wine and Beer festival on Trump property in Los Angeles.
6. Helpful reminder that there's still time to hit the Trump golf courses on Labor Day.
7. Trump SoHo in Manhattan, New York City.

Owzers

Today is he day we begin to heel. The media misses hillary's emails.

FyreWulff

Yeah, assuming he stays healthy, Obama is going to be one of our longest being-around-post-presidency Presidents.

To put it in perspective, if he lives to at least as old as Carter is now, he'll still be around in 2053 at the age of 92. He could live at least four decades past being president. His Secret Service detail will have men and women on it that don't exist currently. It'll be possible for one of his current agents to have a kid this year, and that kid could grow up to protect Obama, and the kid spends enough time protecting him to collect a government pension.

Also we have three presidents who were all born in the summer of '46, which is kind of weird.

Bit of a birth spike that year.

You could call it a boom.

Anyway, that long stretch was helped by Kennedy being killed early.

When W was in office, he was a fitness fanatic...used to lead Marines on long, grueling mountain bike rides and kick their asses. I would guess he's still keeping up with some kind of fitness routine.

edit: Just found this: George W. celebrates 70th with mountain biking​

UPDATE: Trump's companies have pimped the following properties and services on Twitter during Hurricane Harvey. Note, all of these come through trumps_feed, so he at least has to scroll through them:

1. Trump Tower, Punta del Este in Uruguay
2. Trump golf course in Los Angeles
3. Trump Banquet services in Miami
4 "Getting to know the groundskeepers" video on Trump's golf courses
5. 9th annual Wine and Beer festival on Trump property in Los Angeles.
6. Helpful reminder that there's still time to hit the Trump golf courses on Labor Day.
7. Trump SoHo in Manhattan, New York City.

They made Jimmy Carter sell his peanut farm.

His PEANUT FARM.

No, Austin and Corpus Christi afaik.

Also did you see how Republicans are trying to tie ending Mueller's investigation to the budget? They have introduced an amendment to end his investigation after 6 months.

"Republicans" or Republicans, as in someone actually important?

Any random crazy can introduce an amendment. It doesn't mean anyone will care about it.

Ithil

No, Austin and Corpus Christi afaik.

Also did you see how Republicans are trying to tie ending Mueller's investigation to the budget? They have introduced an amendment to end his investigation after 6 months.

That's only one Representative. I expect such an amendment will be booted out.

Not too surprised - I recall a story from earlier this year where Trump just asked why there couldn't be one big bill that did everything.

IIRC he also considered calling a special session of Congress to repeal and replace Obamacare during his inauguration.

Nobody in this administration has the legislative experience to pull this off.

I can't imagine losing everything to a storm. And then also always living knowing it could all just happen again after rebuilding.

I'm grateful I live in a place where the biggest natural disasters only cause some property damage and maybe one or two deaths of old people from hypothermia. Guess it puts it into perspective when I whine about the "big storm" we got last year giving us around 2 feet of snow overnight, which hit a week after the "record" 80 mph wind storm that knocked over some trees (and ruined my fence).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom