• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

TDG said:
080825_FederalTaxes1_roaxlvnw.gif

Smartedness!

Obama has been emphasizing "I will cut taxes for 95% of working families" to combat this sort of bullshit. Some of the right's tactics work all too well, sadly.

besada

Banned
laserbeam said:
I personally feel there is no point in hammering someone with charges of wrong doing when there exists no such evidence at this point. Thats trying to get people assume she is guilty.

Again, there's a big difference between not "hammering" someone and skipping over the fact that they're being investigated in direct response to someone asking about the corruption charges.

I never attempted to convince people she was guilty. In fact, I presented evidence on both sides of the argument, from actual facts. You flat out pretended the situation didn't exist.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
thekad said:
First of all, scorcho is certainly not blinded by his love for Obama :lol

Secondly, arguing that Palin has less foreign policy expertise than both Obama and certainly Biden is not a ridiculous argument, far from it. Neither is arguing that McCain doesn't have the so-called judgement of a Barack Obama.

I never mentioned Scorcho being blinded by his love of Obama, I was referencing something he said about me "knowing it all".

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
the folksy, down-to-earth facade crumbled for Thompson once he was in a debate and had to articulate something more than whimsy.

Palin is probably in for a crash course education on the issues to prepare her for the stump and the debate. she was the ideal candidate to change the tenor of the coverage heading into the RNC, but i don't see much positive outside of that.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Milbank: "Sarah Palin makes Obama look like John Adams."

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gaborn said:
Al Gore-Bot with cosmetic surgery?
Does that mean Mccain will become awesome and crazy again after he loses the election? Or will he imploded upon himself because he already went through the "awesome, crazy" stage?
qs41p2.gif

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
scorcho said:
the folksy, down-to-earth facade crumbled for Thompson once he was in a debate and had to articulate something more than whimsy.

Palin is probably in for a crash course education on the issues to prepare her for the stump and the debate. she was the ideal candidate to change the tenor of the coverage heading into the RNC, but i don't see much positive outside of that.

Something I will agree with you on: she'll likely have a crash course. But I mean, if everyone here knows about the issues, certainly as a Gov. she must her own opinions on the matter.

TDG

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
When was that taken? The 25th of this month?
Released by Gallup on the 26th, taken 21st-23rd. It seemed relevant, with our conservative friends in the thread spouting their bullshit.

Zeliard said:
Some of the right's tactics work all too well, sadly.
The right has so effectively drilled into everyone's heads that democrats raise taxes, I'm pretty sure that if a democrat ran and promised to get rid of the income tax, most americans would think that the democrat was going to raise taxes.

Zeliard said:
Yeah, the Palin debates could be rough. Not in terms of content, since Biden is certainly more well-versed than Palin in a variety of issues and he is not a poor debater, but just in terms of Biden being Biden and Palin being a woman. That's basically what it boils down to. It'll be like the "Obama can't appear to bully Hillary" talk times 5, since Biden is involved.
Screw that. If she can't take the heat she should get back into the kitchen.

Rod Lurie, writer/director of "The Contender" (about a female vice presidential candidate) and creator of the TV show "Commander-in-Chief" (about a female president) had this to say today:

People who understand politics know anything is possible. Picking a woman is an absolute strategic idea from McCain’s point of view. He’s not talking about governing right now. The idea of this woman actually facing down Putin and negotiating with Medvedev is idiotic.

reilo

slide_249_0.jpeg

Governor Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be president. She has brought Republicans and Democrats together within her Administration and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington.

Uhm.

Gaborn

grandjedi6 said:
Does that mean Mccain will become awesome and crazy again after he loses the election? Or will he imploded upon himself because he already went through the "awesome, crazy" stage?
qs41p2.gif

With age it's harder to make drastic changes like that. Still, who knows. Afterall, Bob Dole did continually refer to himself in the third person for about 6 months for the first time in his life when he was running and then never again...

APF

I think a "secret" point to note is, Palin doesn't need to compete with Biden's control of, say, FP issues in a debate to come across as credible / to succeed. She just needs to hold fast to whatever the provided talking points are, and not get blindsided. Remember, debates in this country are shallow and meaningless theater where the important things are how much you sweat sigh or roll your eyes.

NewLib

Banned
speculawyer said:
Screw that. If she can't take the heat she should get back into the kitchen.

The double standard in this thread is amazing. Racist remarks? Ban Ban Ban. Sexist remarks? FULL STEAM AHEAD.

APF said:
I think a "secret" point to note is, Palin doesn't need to compete with Biden's control of, say, FP issues in a debate to come across as credible / to succeed. She just needs to hold fast to whatever the provided talking points are, and not get blindsided. Remember, debates in this country are shallow and meaningless theater where the important things are how much you sweat sigh or roll your eyes.

So short and sweet, just like McCain, right?

Kildace

Politico has an article on the Dem's oppo research on Palin

Palin said Monegan was let go for failing to fill trooper vacancies and invited a close examination of her role in the matter. The Alaska state legislature obliged, allocating $100,000 to investigate. The results of the probe are expected on Oct. 31, less than a week before the general election.

— Mayoral performance. Palin, who portrays herself as a fiscal conservative, racked up nearly $20 million in long-term debt as mayor of the tiny town of Wasilla — that amounts to $3,000 per resident. She argues that the debt was needed to fund improvements.

— The environment. As governor, Palin vetoed wind power and clean coal projects, including a 50-megawatt wind farm on Fire Island and a clean coal facility in Healy that had been mired in a dispute between local and state governments.

— And, maybe, censorship. According to the Frontiersman newspaper, Wasilla’s library director, Mary Ellen Emmons, said that Palin asked her outright if she "could live with censorship of library books.” Palin later dismissed the conversation as a “rhetorical” exercise.

What a pick.

SEGA SAMMY said:
McCain and Palin represent Fiscal reformers. I don't see Biden embracing small government and reforming Washington. The Iraq war is far under 3% of spending, where as the bloated social spending is at 55% of total spending. It would be more fiscally plausible to see the small government REP ticket would handle the 55% more aggressively.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

GOPAndDemDeficitCartoon.jpg

Insertia

McCain must not win. There's all there is to it.

If grandpa kicks the bucket she's the last person I want heading this country.

reilo

TurtleSnatcher said:
So I'm new to the whole PoliGAF stuff..

I'm guessing GAF is like 90% Liberal just by reading the past few threads.. ?

No, the internet is like 90% liberal.

Amir0x said:
Not yet - I'll warm up to him a little better if he can manage to avoid the fucking grand canyon sized gaffe potential that lies in him attack dogging Palin. Remind me again after the debates.

I'm never going to really warm up to him completely due to our differences, but that'd be a start.
My outlook on it is very similar.

I can deal with the Credit company nutsack stroking guy that is Biden. As long as I still get to see Obama take the presidency.

Tax cuts for 95% of working families, I don't think so...Obama has already stated that the Bush tax cuts were irresponsible, and that tax rate was too low. Yes, the cuts went up too high for some incomes, but they came here to me on the south side too.... How is he going to pay for the R+D to be able to get rid of middle east foreign oil dependency in 10 years (he hasn't even told anyone exactly how this can even be done) and cut 95% of working peoples taxes? He will need to saddle small businesses and corporations with huge taxes in a weak economy to even come close.

reilo

SEGA SAMMY said:
Tax cuts for 95% of working families, I don't think so...Obama has already stated that the Bush tax cuts were irresponsible, and that tax rate was too low. Yes, the cuts went up too high for some incomes, but they came here to me on the south side too.... How is he going to pay for the R+D to be able to get rid of middle east foreign oil dependency in 10 years (he hasn't even told anyone exactly how this can even be done) and cut 95% of working peoples taxes? He will need to saddle small businesses and corporations with huge taxes in a weak economy to even come close.

Pat Buchanan?

Tamanon

Banned
SEGA SAMMY said:

Read the policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom