• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEGA SAMMY said:
Tax cuts for 95% of working families, I don't think so...Obama has already stated that the Bush tax cuts were irresponsible, and that tax rate was too low. Yes, the cuts went up too high for some incomes, but they came here to me on the south side too.... How is he going to pay for the R+D to be able to get rid of middle east foreign oil dependency in 10 years (he hasn't even told anyone exactly how this can even be done) and cut 95% of working peoples taxes? He will need to saddle small businesses and corporations with huge taxes in a weak economy to even come close.

Please tell me you're a joke character. You do realize he's going to raise taxes on income over $250,000 right? Ending the Iraq war will save us at least $10 billion we spend a month.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
UltimaKilo said:
I never mentioned Scorcho being blinded by his love of Obama, I was referencing something he said about me "knowing it all".
the way i remember it, you framed both Obama and MccCain as being similar because they 'both agree with each other on what has to be done, they just disagree on how to do it'.

now does he read detailed expositions on the candidates in papers like the NYT to educate him on each candidates platform? says Ultimakilo - 'Don't have to, I've worked for their campaigns to familiarize myself with them.' besides - he believes that NYT is a partisan paper and as such unworthy of his eyes.

Macam was right - i was too generous before.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Please tell me you're a joke character. You do realize he's going to raise taxes on income over $250,000 right? Ending the Iraq war will save us at least $10 billion.

$10billion? Yeah, PER MONTH.

Zeliard

SEGA SAMMY said:
Tax cuts for 95% of working families, I don't think so...Obama has already stated that the Bush tax cuts were irresponsible, and that tax rate was too low. Yes, the cuts went up too high for some incomes, but they came here to me on the south side too.... How is he going to pay for the R+D to be able to get rid of middle east foreign oil dependency in 10 years (he hasn't even told anyone exactly how this can even be done) and cut 95% of working peoples taxes? He will need to saddle small businesses and corporations with huge taxes in a weak economy to even come close.

Obama is also raising taxes on upper-income families.

Tamanon

Banned
I mentioned earlier that Gov. Palin is in the thick of her own very Bush era scandal over her attempts to have her ex-brother-in-law fired as a state trooper, using her clout as governor. Now we've learned she's invoked the Alaska version of executive privilege to withhold emails dealing with the case. Our report on the latest on the case will be coming up shortly.

From TPM

Well....I guess she does have some EXPERIENCE that could be useful for the Presidency:p

reilo

Tamanon said:
From TPM

Well....I guess she does have some EXPERIENCE that could be useful for the Presidency:p

I thought innocent people had nothing to hide?

thekad

Banned
APF said:
I think a "secret" point to note is, Palin doesn't need to compete with Biden's control of, say, FP issues in a debate to come across as credible / to succeed. She just needs to hold fast to whatever the provided talking points are, and not get blindsided. Remember, debates in this country are shallow and meaningless theater where the important things are how much you sweat sigh or roll your eyes.

Biden is the one who needs to worry feeding into the "bullying Palin" narrative.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SEGA SAMMY said:

grandjedi6's "How to tell who's a troll" checklist:

(I) Are they reposting stupid talking points?
frspy.png

(II) Are they not responding to other poster's comments or critism?
frspy.png

(III) Do they have a non-existant or negative posting history of the discussion type?
frspy.png

Looks like we have a live one here guys!

Tamanon

Banned
grandjedi6 said:

frspy.png

frspy.png

(III) Do they have a non-existant or negative posting history of the discussion type?
frspy.png

Now now, he's trying to get a McCain watch!:p

reilo

grandjedi6 said:

Are they reposting stupid talking points?
frspy.png

Are they not responding to other poster's comments or critism?
frspy.png

Do they have a non-existant or negative posting history of the discussion type?
frspy.png

:lol

The checks are what made that post.

Gaborn

reilo said:
I thought innocent people had nothing to hide?

You do realize that most any lawyer would tell a client to reveal the bare minimum of information they're required to, right?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
HocusPocus said:
Palin is an excellent choice, and I only wish I could vote for her for President instead of just VP. :D
yeaaaaaaaah....

that's a mighty low bar there.

reilo

Gaborn said:
You do realize that most any lawyer would tell a client to reveal the bare minimum of information they're required to, right?

There's a difference between using the power of your office to hide information when you are under investigation, and invoking the fifth amendment to protect yourself in court?

One is directly interfering with an investigation. Can you guess which?

grandjedi6 said:

frspy.png

frspy.png

frspy.png

agreed that the checks make the post. A++++ poster, would read again.

One thing that is really amazing-in less than tweleve hours, the liberal blog network has produced a buzzsaw of real and important issues regarding Palin. Putting someone like her on the ticket just as liberals were getting off their great hopium high was like taking a chainsaw to a wasp's nest.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
scorcho said:
the way i remember it, you framed both Obama and MccCain as being similar because they 'both agree with each other on what has to be done, they just disagree on how to do it'.

now does he read detailed expositions on the candidates in papers like the NYT to educate him on each candidates platform? says Ultimakilo - 'Don't have to, I've worked for their campaigns to familiarize myself with them.' besides - he believes that NYT is a partisan paper and as such unworthy of his eyes.

Macam was right - i was too generous before.

And it's true... They both agree on what needs to be done because they both have the American perspective. I can tell you that people in Spain believe that the U.S. has to radically change. And I'm happy to be one of the only people in this Obama thread that has yet to resort to insults, it tells a lot about the character of a person.

Hsieh

Maybe the Republicans picked Palin because they want to play up the elitist angle. Obviously, multimillionaire McCain somehow being the opposite of an elitist doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but Palin seems to be one those bible-thumping gun nuts that Obama famously called "bitter".

reilo

UltimaKilo said:
And it's true... They both agree on what needs to be done because they both have the American perspective. I can tell you that people in Spain believe that the U.S. has to radically change. And I'm happy to be one of the only people in this Obama thread that has yet to resort to insults, it tells a lot about the character of a person.

But you do resort to intellectual dishonesty and outright bullshittery.

speculawyer said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

GOPAndDemDeficitCartoon.jpg

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np

Fiscal
Year Year Ending National Debt Deficit
FY1993 09/30/1993 $4.411488 trillion
FY1994 09/30/1994 $4.692749 trillion $281.26 billion
FY1995 09/29/1995 $4.973982 trillion $281.23 billion
FY1996 09/30/1996 $5.224810 trillion $250.83 billion
FY1997 09/30/1997 $5.413146 trillion $188.34 billion
FY1998 09/30/1998 $5.526193 trillion $113.05 billion
FY1999 09/30/1999 $5.656270 trillion $130.08 billion
FY2000 09/29/2000 $5.674178 trillion $17.91 billion
FY2001 09/28/2001 $5.807463 trillion $133.29 billion

Where's the magical surplus?

thekad

Banned
Gaborn said:
And...? Clinton wasn't exactly forthcoming in his various investigations and probes (whether they were fair or not).

Oh, never mind. You're just being your regular disingenuous self.

greepoman

So what does it mean if the Repub's have to delay the convention because of Gustav? And what happens if Gustav is Katrina2?

Both Obama and McCain tried to balance their ticket.

The difference is though McCain's VP pick seems to only be beneficial for the election. After November 4th how will Palin benefit McCain running this country? She's not an economic expert and she has ZERO knowledge on foreign policy. It doesn't seem McCain will need her for anything. Worst of all if something happens to McCain health-wise, she just doesn't seem capable of running the free world.

You could argue Obama is also a lightweight, but this campaign has shown that he is at least a legitimate candidate for president. He's run an efficient campaign and taking down the Clinton machine. He's been in over 20 debates. Raised more money than any other presidential campaign. He's met with foreign leaders and generals in Iraq. We know that he's respected around the world. We saw how he handled the Rev. Wright crises. I could go on...

I think this pick has the potential to backfire once the "Wow" factor wears off and people actually start trying to visualize her as the President of the United States.

Gaborn

reilo said:
There's a difference between using the power of your office to hide information when you are under investigation, and invoking the fifth amendment to protect yourself in court?

One is directly interfering with an investigation. Can you guess which?

Sure, but there are statutes and precedents that define what is private and what is public information, and what is capable of being subpoenaed and what is not capable of being subpoenaed for public officials. Is Palin following the law in the course of this investigation or not? if she is, then you're bitching for nothing. If she isn't she should be removed from office immediately for obstruction of justice.

Zeliard

UltimaKilo said:

Don't you think that's a little... simplistic? How does an American not have an American perspective? Unless you're referring to seeing things from others' point of views, in which case I would direct you to Obama's many (sadly controversial) statements over the entire campaign about how he's willing to talk to most anybody in the world and hear things from their perspective.

reilo

Vinzer Deling said:
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np

Fiscal
Year Year Ending National Debt Deficit
FY1993 09/30/1993 $4.411488 trillion
FY1994 09/30/1994 $4.692749 trillion $281.26 billion
FY1995 09/29/1995 $4.973982 trillion $281.23 billion
FY1996 09/30/1996 $5.224810 trillion $250.83 billion
FY1997 09/30/1997 $5.413146 trillion $188.34 billion
FY1998 09/30/1998 $5.526193 trillion $113.05 billion
FY1999 09/30/1999 $5.656270 trillion $130.08 billion
FY2000 09/29/2000 $5.674178 trillion $17.91 billion
FY2001 09/28/2001 $5.807463 trillion $133.29 billion

Where's the magical surplus?

auw7rfzmnovul-large.gif

reilo

Gaborn said:
Sure, but there are statutes and precedents that define what is private and what is public information, and what is capable of being subpoenaed and what is not capable of being subpoenaed for public officials. Is Palin following the law in the course of this investigation or not? if she is, then you're bitching for nothing. If she isn't she should be removed from office immediately for obstruction of justice.

Ask yourself this: If there was a law that protected the emails that officials wrote, then would she have to invoke executive privilege? As far as I am concerned, and PUBLIC official voted into power by the voting PUBLIC requires a certain level of transparency.

Gaborn

reilo said:
Ask yourself this: If there was a law that protected the emails that officials wrote, then would she have to invoke executive privilege? As far as I am concerned, and PUBLIC official voted into power by the voting PUBLIC requires a certain level of transparency.

How about you answer my question before I start asking myself new questions?

God Olbermann is a bit too much... I mean there's a line you gotta draw, your a professional. News should be reported without bias, this guy strokes Obama's cock at every given chance.

reilo

Gaborn said:
How about you answer my question before I start asking myself new questions?

How the fuck should I know? I don't live in Alaska.

Don't play the privacy card here. Investigators can legally subpoena your phone record and voicemails to find out whether you did something illegal if there is enough evidence to do so. Why should emails be exempt from this?

Obviously there was a subpoena handed down for her emails, and she invoked executive privilege to prevent those emails from being read. It's the exact same bullshit that Bush has been getting away with. CONNECT THE DOTS.

pxleyes

Banned
DancingJesus said:
God Olbermann is a bit too much... I mean there's a line you gotta draw, your a professional. News should be reported without bias, this guy strokes Obama's cock at every given chance.
He's a pundit though, not a true journalist. Just the same as O'Reilly.

Tamanon

Banned
DancingJesus said:

You'd have a point if he were a reporter:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom