• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico on Trump's terrible deal making with Trumpcare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the bill failed because Trump is a great salesman with a poor grasp of policy, it also failed because Ryan is poor salesman with a great grasp of policy

fcsOife.gif

Slayven

YouTube has a Fox News bit on this titled "Trump pulls the plug on the GOP plan repeal Obamacare"

Sigh...

Who are they shitting on with that title?

8 years to the day of GOP saying how they were going to repeal Obamacare and they shit the bed. Reads like Trump stopped them from achieving glory

Jarmel

Banned
This is such a great article. I don't think I've read anything from Politico this well written and edited before.

Binabik15

YouTube has a Fox News bit on this titled "Trump pulls the plug on the GOP plan repeal Obamacare"

Sigh...

Why, just WHY do US laws allow for such outright lies spread as news. Fox News is the biggest "news" station, right? And all they do is spread misinformation. I get the sneaky "oh, but it was just an opinion piece" defence, but even their designated news section is full of things that are factually wrong. And mindless drones lap it up and allow for 1984 levels of spinning. It'd be amazing if it wasn't so frightening.

Dude Abides

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/fcsOife.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Ryan does have a good grasp of policy. His life goal is to redistribute wealth from poor to rich and make it so that poor people are living on the knife's edge because he believes this will incentivize them to bootstrap. This bill would have accomplished those psychopathic goals effectively.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I like how everytime Trump does something totally bone headed that its some how part of some greater plan or scheme for a lot of people. Next time we'll see the culmination of Trump's Machiavalian machinations or the time after that or the time after that.

People drinking the Trump Kool-Aid will continue to defend that this is some 80D chess strategy of Trump taking legislative L's to negotiate down. That's not what he's doing and that's not how political capital works.

RPGCrazied

A disaster all around. Don't forget his failed travel ban, under an FBI investigation, his NSA Flynn barely lasting a week before getting fired. I really don't see how he gets anything done. Tax reform? Lol, good luck.

Not a good look.

I like how everytime Trump does something totally bone headed that its some how part of some greater plan or scheme for a lot of people. Next time we'll see the culmination of Trump's Machiavalian machinations or the time after that or the time after that.

he will end up in jail and there will STILL be people saying it is all part of his long game, just you wait and see, he purposefully got convicted because he's going to talk to someone or other in that same jail that'll completely blow the lid off of things.

rjinaz

Not saying that I agree with him - but wasn't rentahamster one of the only people that consistently said that trump could get elected on this forum. It certainly appears that trump has no fucking plan and is spinning his wheels but
A/ it certainly appeared that the election was in the bag for Hilary, and while these are unrelated it certainly makes me doubt GAF and my own punditry in general
B/ evil as he is, bannon is not an idiot. And sadly, given how well they are doing elections wise, neither are republicans

But certainly I hope that occam razor applies and that they are going to go from disaster to disaster due to complete incompetence
(Please check my post history before accusing me of concern trolling / being a closet republican)

The people got Trump elected. Trump didn't do anything masterful to get elected. He ran. He said racist things. He said sexist things. He acted like a rambling buffoon. Yet still he got elected. Mostly people angry about the Black guy ruining America, or liberals, or because their hate for Hillary Clinton and her damn emails was so strong.

Yes the people that said he would win the election were correct. They called America correctly, they called what it had turned into and what they were willing to elect. For that they definitely get a pat on the back.

Let Democrats have this. This thread doesn't need to be filled with "don't be cocky" posts. We're people on a forum enjoying an actual victory for the American people. In a few days Trump will be at it again and things will continue as they have been with Democrats continuing to resist the wanna be fascist. There is no need for "concern" here.

I think people are really misreading the situation. Trump isn't an idiot.

He's an awful politician and President, but calling him an idiot is dangerous. It makes you think you can outplay him, when he has already out played more than experienced politicians. He needs to be treated as a legitimate threat to the freedom and way of life of every American. That is what he is. Treating him as an idiot only plays to his strengths.

Krugman wrote quite a persuasive article a day or two ago about how crap Ryan has been at writing policy. And just now he shook his head at the politico story the part about the Ryan being a great policy wonk. Ryan can do powerpoint. That obviously has elevated him to power policy guy to the media but (Krugman says) his record is the complete opposite.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I love how Trump tries to throw the Dems under the bus for this when there's not even the faintest whiff of an attempt to negotiate with them in this article or just about any other coverage of the Trumpcare debacle.

Kurdel

Banned

He's an awful politician and President, but calling him an idiot is dangerous. It makes you think you can outplay him, when he has already out played more than experienced politicians. He needs to be treated as a legitimate threat to the freedom and way of life of every American. That is what he is. Treating him as an idiot only plays to his strengths.

Citation needed

RPGCrazied

I love how Trump tries to throw the Dems under the bus for this when there's not even the faintest whiff of an attempt to negotiate with them in this article or just about any other coverage of the Trumpcare debacle.

Its all he does. Blames them and other people. Never once has Trump taken the blame on anything. Its pretty sad.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I disagree, campaigning may have been a strength (that he seems to want to continue since it seems to stroke his ego) but actually governing is a much MUCH different job. He's the equivalent of a college freshmen in a PHD class and is making major mistake because he doesn't even know basic shit. Which joke aside if he built up a staff of policy vets and Government insiders he might of had a chance but his instincts is to go with sycophants to avoid having any debate on what he wants and here we are.

rjinaz

No he's an idiot. He happened to be saying what "most" of America wanted to hear and he was famous and it got him elected. Trump has always gotten by on other people's work and money. Just like now he's getting by on the tax payer's money.

What I will say though is that Trump has surrounded himself with very smart and dangerous people, so what you say is still correct. Until his presidency is over, I don't care how many times his plans fail, it should always be assumed something heinous is in the works.

TyrantII

It's premature to discount Trump's overall game plan at this moment, IMO.

Perhaps, but that wouldn't demonstrate to the American public and to conservatives in particular, that the establishment Republican leadership is useless.

Oh boy, I got a bridge to sell you.

He isn't an idiot. But he isn't a long term strategist either, his attention span is very short.

Someone compared him to a aggressive loose poker player. They can be hard to play because they'll bet high on shaky things and dare you to match so many people keep folding then they end up with most of the pot. This worked to get him nominated, but isn't working out post election. His own party called him: instead of being scared when Trump went all in on them and demanded they fall into line "or else". They called him and found he didn't have the cards.

Oersted

I can kinda see where rentahamster is coming from. He's just saying that democrats should still bring their A game and not underestimate their opponent just because he's a moron.

I think you do need someone like that, a chicken little/devil's advocate type character to keep everyone else on their toes.

Noone is underestimating him. Donald's war against America will continue, the damage he already caused is severe. The fact that we basically can keep celebrating the status quo is damning enough.

The failure of the muslim ban, the failure of the wall, the failure of Tumpcare. Its nice that the fight against the orange failure is not totally fruitless.

Slayven

Trump acts like an idiot. You can still recognize him as a threat, without thinking he is the love child of Emperor Palptine and Doctor Doom. Building him up to be some mastermind, when everything he said and done proves otherwise, is just as dangerous as underestimating him.

He's an idiot and a legitimate threat.

Let's not forget he torpedoed his own travel ban with his own words, and then couldnt help but repeat the same mistakes again. Or how he freely admits that he gets info from cable news versus his own admin's intelligence. Or decided to blatanly threaten the members of his own party. Or can't string together a coherent sentence. Or sent out his press secretary to scream at press because they said his crowd sizes were smaller

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Have you considered the possibility that people can think he's an idiot AND also treat him as a legitimate threat, moreso because he's an idiot?

The article effectively demonstrates how the president basically played himself. The last thing I'm going to worry about is outplaying him when he's already being played by multiple sources; Bannon, Ryan, Putin and so on.

He can be both an idiot and a threat. Like a man-child with a gun (or nuke codes).

He is not a master strategist.

Campaigning is different than governing and leading.

Ryuuga

Banned
Can't remember who said it but they said "Instead of 'Art of the Deal' it's 'Art of the Ordeal' "

nodinapproval.gif

Beartruck

Jeezus at that 2nd part. He's such a bad negotiator he actively drove away someone who was rooting for him.

Also puts it into perspective that 24 million people losing health insurance is "little shit" compared to his pride. Alpha narcissist.

zethren

Banned
It's premature to discount Trump's overall game plan at this moment, IMO.

Perhaps, but that wouldn't demonstrate to the American public and to conservatives in particular, that the establishment Republican leadership is useless.

He clearly doesn't have a game plan, he's a child swinging in the dark here. He doesn't understand the processes of government, a checks and balances system, where his power begins and ends, and how to work with people that aren't his employees.

He's fucking screwed.

gcubed

So after the window closes on April 15th, what exactly is going to get done before 2018?

Will Ryan actually bring anything up without support of the insane wing?

It's corporate tax reform dead? Individual tax reform?

We know infrastructure is dead.

The stock market is going to start getting real skittish

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
All I'm saying is you tell me when Trump failing left and right alongside the GOP actually pays off for them.

The fact that Bannon got slapped down gives me hope. These guys are all big talk when they can smack down the media, but put 'em against someone that ain't taking their shit and that tail tucks hard.

Honestly, more than anything, it shows yet again that the GOP are nothing but snowflakes.

In other words Trump is Columbo.

Hazzuh

It will be interesting seeing how he starts to fill his time. He is clearly too ignorant and impatient to get much legislation passed, at some point he is going to get bored of signing Bannon's executive orders, then what? Will he focus (insofar as he is capable of focusing) on foreign policy? If he does, that sounds rather worrying..

So after the window closes on April 15th, what exactly is going to get done before 2018?

Will Ryan actually bring anything up without support of the insane wing?

It's corporate tax reform dead? Individual tax reform?

We know infrastructure is dead.

The stock market is going to start getting real skittish

They're all in on tax reform now. And everything is on the table, both corporate and individual. I'm expecting them to end up raising taxes on the middle class (via getting rid of local/state deductions) to pay for upper class tax cuts.

It's infuriating that Republicans have no damn clue about the importance of aggregate demand for a healthy economy. They're likely going to pass tax reform and it will lead to a recession because the people who spend money will now have less of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom