• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Don't Pre-Order Dishonored 2!" (Because there will be no pre-release review

ty_hot

If they would do good previews for games we would be confident to preorder before the reviews. I remember the previews from LAIR, mostly saying good things, just saying that the controls were sometimes not fine and small problems... Then the game comes out and it got lots of 4 and 5 out of 10 from the same people that tried it many times and always had minor complaints.

Bliddo

I just checked the PSN listing, and looks like that Bethesda pulled its usual shit.

No English dub in the European version where English is not the main language. For example in Italy you get only Spanish, French, Italian and German.

They did the same with Dishonored DE and The Evil Within.
If you want the english voice over you need to create a UK account, insane.

They can keep the game as far as I'm concerned. This is infuriating.

NeoRaider

I just checked the PSN listing, and looks like that Bethesda pulled its usual shit.

No English dub in the European version where English is not the main language. For example in Italy you get only Spanish, French, Italian and German.

Why would they do this??
Madness.

Bedlam

I fucking hate that shit! What the hell Bethesda? Last time I fell for it was when I bought Evil Within during a PSN sale. Couldn't play past chapter two because I was stuck with the shitty German dub (or French).

Bethesda, listen, we want the damn original English voice-overs!

Edit: Before that, it also happened with Wolfenstein to me. Bought it from a local Gamestop - just German language. All the great original voice-over stuff lost. Fuck! Returned it immediately and ordered the UK version on Amazon. The shit you have to go through to get a decent version of a Bethesda game over here...

Mifec

I fucking hate that shit! What the hell Bethesda? Last time I fell for it was when I bought Evil Within during a PSN sale. Couldn't play past chapter two because I was stuck with the shitty German dub (or French).

Bethesda, listen, we want the damn original English voice-overs!

What possible reason would they have to do this on consoles rofl?

Well I'm never buying Dishonored 2, just like I didn't buy Evil Within. This is unacceptable

They got a lot of backlash for it and recent releases had all languages, but if they're going back to this, fuck em

Bedlam

What possible reason would they have to do this on consoles rofl?
I don't know... somehow the attempt to save money by putting out one version for continental Europe? But at the same time they completely misread the desires of the player base. The original English voice-overs should always be an option.

Between impressions on forums from people that got the game a few days before release thanks to mom and pop stores, gameplay footage, and just being a gamer for decades and knowing what kind of stuff I like, I rarely need to read a review to inform me on my buying purchases.

The only thing I want to know is if the gameplay was implemented well and if it's not a buggy mess. If all else fails, I'll wait to purchase it and see how it shakes out. By the time a game is out, I generally know whether I would like it or not and what to expect.

I feel like the long form review is kind of obsolete these days and Publishers don't need these gaming sites like they used to. To be quite honest, I don't feel like the games coverage side of things is what it used to be. At this point, a sample size of Steam reviews is a lot more useful to me than a handful of reviews. There was a period there where I feel like the writers writing the reviews tried to inject TOO much of themselves into the review, where it became less about the game and more about them expressing themselves with the review as an afterthought. In the worst cases, it felt like reviewer wanted to make sure you knew how clever they were.

Those doing interesting work covering games that has nothing to do with reviews will continue to do so. I'm kind of hoping this is what Austin Walker's new site will mostly be.

Impressions? Where? I have been looking all week for one XD

I actually decided to fact check this (after getting upset and complaining, of course) and I don't think it's necessarily true. The store page only lists languages for Dishonored DE that's inlcuded in the pre-order as far as I can tell

wvvFGVv.png

is this a price only for prime users?

I got it for that price too but you had to have a PS4 Pro pre-ordered and have Prime to get it at £18 so not overall as cheap as it first looks.

Surprised by the lack of hype for this so close to release, I hope the no review policy bites them in the ass to be honest.

Mine's coming Wednesday woooo

Probably won't get to play until Friday night tho. Should be enough time to find out if the game is a technical disaster or whatever.

65.8 GB? WTF...

The UK version has Eng audio only (Russian, Polish and Eng subs), 64.2 GB

I guess it's because the Definitive Edition also contains Dishonored Remastered.

mcmmaster

If i actually listened to game journalists, i don't think i would have ended up purchasing games like Tropical Freeze & The Wonderful 101. Thankfully i used my eyes to watch pre-release footage and make a judgement based on what I saw and the developers on hand.

Sit down Polygon, Dishonored is the only game i've enjoyed from Bethesda so you aren't stopping me from pre-ordering it's sequel. £31 Steam key from Instant Gaming.

Journalists have way too much power to be able to push a statement like this, as if to say any previews they've done in the past are suddenly rendered useless as a means to interest consumers smh.

Mifec

If i actually listened to game journalists, i don't think i would have ended up purchasing games like Tropical Freeze & The Wonderful 101. Thankfully i used my eyes to watch pre-release footage and make a judgement based on what I saw and the developers on hand.

Sit down Polygon, Dishonored is the only game i've enjoyed from Bethesda so you aren't stopping me from pre-ordering it's sequel. £31 Steam key from Instant Gaming. Journalists have way too much power to be able to push a statement like this, as if to say any previews they've done in the past are suddenly rendered useless as a means to interest consumers smh.

But Bethesda is just the publisher.

Teletraan1

Banned
They're not wrong but their horse in the race isn't about consumers not getting burned by the publishers. Their horse is ensuring that early review copies remain a thing so that sites like theirs can earn ad money from eager consumers on pre-release reviews.

Exactly. They only complain about things that affect them. When they continuously fail to even mention gambling boxes and other shit in games because they got a review pack of free swag or everything unlocked in the game for free. They aren't looking out for your interests, only their own. So thanks for the warning I guess.

This year it really feels like the pre order bonus train has slowed down a lot, with most games packing in bonuses into "day one" editions which are available for months if not forever. Its much better than the past few years when retailers had exclusive pre order bonuses, I can only think of maybe 2-3 games where that was the case this year.

Yeah, it sucks review copies aren't sent out early that much anymore. Its not a big deal to me personally though because way too many review sites are just utter shit now, either handing out 8/10's liberally or turning game reviews into a political or social commentaries, not game reviews. It would be hypocritical of me to say only sites I like should get review copies, so fine, let em all wait and buy the game on launch day.

Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2 are definitely two games I am going to wait for giant bomb and angry joe to review before I buy them, it lines up well with a B2G1F sale that will inevitably happen in early december and the lineup this year gives me way, way too many games right now anyways, with the biggie FF15 coming end of the month.

e_i

When's the Steam preload happening? I hope we preorderers don't have the preload on Thursday when we're supposed to play the game on Thursday.

tebunker

Banned
If they would do good previews for games we would be confident to preorder before the reviews. I remember the previews from LAIR, mostly saying good things, just saying that the controls were sometimes not fine and small problems... Then the game comes out and it got lots of 4 and 5 out of 10 from the same people that tried it many times and always had minor complaints.

You don't understand how the game industry works.

Previews are controlled and embargoed by Publishers.

As well most if not all publications do not publish disparaging things about unfinished products. You have to key in on the phraseology used.

The fact of the matter is that previews are worthless because they are controlled by the game publishers. Just like reviews they will do what is in their best interests to make only the people who preview positively get to do so.

LiK

Didn't Polygon have several articles telling people to never preorder games? Weren't they all written by Ben Kuchera?

I think this is a bad decision from Bethesda. Doom did the same and got great reviews. Pre-Release Reviews would really have helped Doom imo.

Thabass

For once I agree with Ben Kuchera.

...It's too bad they're forcefully telling me to do something with my own money. So fuck off.

You don't understand how the game industry works.

Previews are controlled and embargoed by Publishers.

As well most if not all publications do not publish disparaging things about unfinished products. You have to key in on the phraseology used.

The fact of the matter is that previews are worthless because they are controlled by the game publishers. Just like reviews they will do what is in their best interests to make only the people who preview positively get to do so.

So... previews are useless and not good enough to decide whether a game is worth my time to buy it. Next thing we know, pre-release previews of games are fabrications and lies. /s

And I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just not take impressions from people in the internet seriously.

Freeman76

They are clearly very confident in their product as they have released several gameplay vids now. Doesnt smell of a company that have shit to hide about their game. The no review thing sucks but the chances of this being a turkey are pretty much 0.

Top Bottom