• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon - Exclusive: 19 Minutes of PHANTOM DUST Remastered Gameplay

Miker

Just skimmed through the video and it looks fine. It looks like a straight up HD port with widescreen with higher res HUD assets. That is to say, the original game was as jank as it looks now.

As for no new assets, I don't mind, especially if it keeps the price - and barrier to entry - low. Nobody's gonna shell out $30 or $40 or more for a slightly nicer looking version of Phantom Dust. Especially true given that it's releasing on Xbone where the playerbase skews towards AAA multiplats, and W10, a storefront everybody hates. Any real new audience this would've found is likely people who own PS4s tbh.

Like, take a step back and really ask if putting more resources into this would've been the right thing to do.

bede-x

Still looks pretty unique today. Never played the original, but might give this a chance if it's well recieved. Hearing about microtransactions is a turn-off though.

sangreal

looks fine, but they've really fucked up the messaging for this game as the thread title shows

I don't know why they didn't really remaster it. Looks like a really dumb decision next to the Crash trilogy

Did people even watch the video? The guy straight up said it's a re-release with better assets. He didn't call it a remaster.

I know, but we are now in a generation where these are the benchmarks for remastered games:

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-07.jpg

218431_screenshot_05_l.jpg

ff12two.jpg

Halo-1-Anniversary-MCC.png

looks fine, but they've really fucked up the messaging for this game as the thread title shows

I don't know why they didn't really remaster it. Looks like a really dumb decision next to the Crash trilogy

Crash Trilogy is an HD remake with new assets.

Gestault

I know, but we are now in a generation where these are the benchmarks for remastered games:

I think that's pretty transparently a bad comparison. Compared to things like the PS2 classics on PS4 (which don't even get a render bump), the price is the same and the result is higher quality. Comparing it to remasters, let alone remakes is apples to baseballs.

Ushay

Will buy this to support a new game, this game deserves a full reboot. If they take those mechanics to the next level I can see this really taking off.

Hopefully a fully fleshed out campaign too.

sangreal

That's why they are trying not to call it a remaster...

right, but they've done a terrible job at making that clear to people barely paying attention

even this video starts out with 'an exclusive look at the phantom dust remaster'. Adam doesn't even correct him

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So did Polygon fuck up or is MS considering this a remaster as well?
As others have mentioned, it's a port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdlMly6KJrQ

Remember when this was supposed to be a full Remake/Reboot?

Screw you Microsoft.

They are awesome at boosting their "greatest lineup in history" every year that will not even exist.

Shit like this makes me already expect half of the stuff they show at this years E3 being made up stuff to boost initial Scorpio sales until they are dropped.

sangreal

I guess I don't see why you think it's dumb.

Because it doesn't seem to have saved them much time, and its caused a lot of confusion and negativity

Screw you Microsoft.

They are awesome at boosting their "greatest lineup in history" every year that will not even exist.

Shit like this makes me already expect half of the stuff they show at this years E3 being made up stuff to boost initial Scorpio sales until they are dropped.

that was a different game

hawk2025

Yes, it's a port. We get it.

Stop pretending we can't be disappointed just because the bar for this release was set so embarassingly low.

I just have no idea why this continues to be such a big thing here on GAF. An okay game (81 MC) from 12 years ago. No new assets. No 60FPS. Whoop-dee-doo. It's super depressing that THIS is what we have to be excited about on the Xbox side of things.

Gestault

So did Polygon fuck up or is MS considering this a remaster as well?
As others have mentioned, it's a port.

It's Polygon being editorially bankrupt. In the spoken interview that plays along with the footage, early on they specify it's not remaster when asked about the "remastering" efforts. They're really down-to-earth about it, even though they go on about being proud that the original assets work well with the resolution bump.

I think that's pretty transparently a bad comparison. Compared to things like the PS2 classics on PS4 (which don't even get a render bump), the price is the same and the result is higher quality. Comparing it to remasters, let alone remakes is apples to baseballs.

Thing is they called it a remaster, and have also added DLC into the game. This isn't just a port like the PS2 Classics to me.

Also to reiterate, I'd understand if they keep it around 10 bucks.

singhr1

If so, why did your team actively work against the devs (Darkside game studios) and have the game cancelled?

http://kotaku.com/how-a-small-game-studio-almost-made-it-big-1696997142

A creative director doesn't control how much $$$ MS allocates to a dev team....

right, but they've done a terrible job at making that clear to people barely paying attention

even this video starts out with 'an exclusive look at the phantom dust remaster'. Adam doesn't even correct him

Yeah, that's definitely a fault of him. It would be best if they market it as "Xbox Classics" or something like how Sony did with PS2 classics.

Screw you Microsoft.

They were going to do a remake and it was cancelled. They decided to do a port of this one to throw a bone afterward.

Xbox Game Pass release.

Do it!
I think a game like this would fit Game Pass really well. At least to test the waters anyway.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
This has been called a 'remaster' by every single media outlet since its announcement.

Polygon could have changed the title after what the dude said (and they seem to have done so in the editorial accompanying that video), but they can't really be blamed for calling it what everyone else has been calling it for the last year.

Tain

Yeah, as the thread develops it seems pretty clear that outside of to PD fans MS (or media) hasn't been very clear on this.

I can't hold them calling it a "remaster" against them, given the nonsense nature of the term and how often it's used to refer to games being ported to newer platforms and simply running in higher resolutions, and I think this will be more enjoyable than the new PD would have been.

Dinjoralo

But it's not a remaster it's a port
Listening to what they've done, it's not quite a straight-forward port. They've split the saves for multiplayer and singleplayer so you can jump online and they can offer all the end-game stuff right away, but all your unlocks don't affect singleplayer, while all the things you get in singleplayer still flow into multiplayer. They also added DLC for paying to get a whole bunch of multiplayer skills right away because of course they did.

Either way, this looks like it's on the good side of weird and interesting. I'll keep an eye on this.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Polygon probably. As in the vid he says it not a remaster.
It's Polygon being editorially bankrupt. In the spoken interview that plays along with the footage, early on they specify it's not remaster when asked about the "remastering" efforts. They're really down-to-earth about it, even though they go on about being proud that the original assets work well with the resolution bump.
I see. Thanks for the clarification.

They are 100% announcing this as part of the Game Pass initiative come this E3. Makes perfect sense.

fantomena

resolution i guess

Ok.

I also see people saying it's a port/re-release. Then why have I always heard about it being a remaster or have I just heard wrong all the time? Don't think Ive ever hard the words "port" or "re-release" in relation to news about this version of the game.

Well, imo, in this particular video it looks boring and very clunky.

Elfstruck

You have a point, but I think Crash remaster is build from the ground up for PS4. I feel like this game was made to soften the backlash against the cancelled reboot, so it's a very small project for MS.

Top Bottom