• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon - Exclusive: 19 Minutes of PHANTOM DUST Remastered Gameplay

RedAssedApe

Banned
they probably shouldn't even use "re-release" and be super specific. call it a port. brand it Xbox Classic (like Ps Classics)...or something else. otherwise people are going to immediately think "remaster" and compare it to other actual remasters...and have the guty reaction that this looks like trash.

edit: yes i know there are technically updated features

I played the original, but still dont get the appeal of it. More power to those of you that want this, but if you think it will lead to them un-canceling the old/new project, you're dreaming.

wwm0nkey

I assume people expected more effort would be put into this.

It was done on a very small budget, I am just happy to have the game back on XBO/Win10

I played the original, but still dont get the appeal of it. More power to those of you that want this, but if you think it will lead to them un-canceling the old/new project, you're dreaming.

I don't think anyone expects that at all, that project is super dead

Nairume

Banned
I'm curious if this was the same reception the game got back in 2004.
Looking at the initial reactions, most of the comments about it were based around confusion at whether or not the game would get released in the west, but that the game itself looked promising.

Jump ahead a few months to demo footage being shown off by various outlets and you start to see people talk about it looking boring but partially assuming that it was IGN and company making it look as such.

Someone want to explain why this video has 50% dislikes? Surely, it's not because of graphics for a HD re-release.

I'm guessing it's people disappointed that the Xbox has had shit for exclusives, to the point that Polygon having footage of a port of a 12 year old kinda decent game is promoted as being big news. I'd be disappointed too.

The port looks fine but man as someone who never played this game they didn't sell it to me at all

As long as fans are happy though, I imagine that's who this is for

It's not only Polygon calling it a remaster, a lot of the press are too.

The shitposting in this thread is embarrassing. This is a game from 2004, what did you expect?

Shitposting is when you try to derail the conversation in a thread. Most of us are commenting on the graphics, I don't think it is.

I do think the mechanics shown is intriguing, but the quality of the textures, usage of the generic Japanese game font, and dodgy animation is just disappointing.

I know, but we are now in a generation where these are the benchmarks for remastered games:

Halo 2 Anniversary maybe, but NOT CE's. Geometry didn't line up. Guns, effects, and enemies were modeled wrong. The sounds were changed for the worse. The textures and lighting destroyed the original atmosphere.

CE Anniversary is garbage.

Went expecting something ugly after reading this thread but it isn't that bad, for a straight re-release it's decent.

It does look incredibly boring though.

Halo 2 Anniversary maybe, but NOT CE's. Geometry didn't line up. Guns, effects, and enemies were modeled wrong. The sounds were changed for the worse. The textures and lighting destroyed the original atmosphere.

CE Anniversary is garbage.

Yeah sure, but we are talking about the effort in remastering a game.

They want the game to have legs. Would be hard with how it looks.

what are you talking about? these are all remakes made from zero.

xbox one owners really got the console they deserve this gen.
Um, thanks?
I'm guessing it's people disappointed that the Xbox has had shit for exclusives, to the point that Polygon having footage of a port of a 12 year old kinda decent game is promoted as being big news. I'd be disappointed too.

People seem more mad that because it's titled "Remastered" they were expecting to be graphically blown away.

Hexer06

Dammit. Why did it have to release while I'm at work! Can't wait to get home and check this out. Goty right here baby!! :D

Dinjoralo

ITT: people surprised a 2004 game doesn't look like it was made in 2017

Anyway, I've always heard this referred to as a "card game" but I'm not really seeing the card aspect in the video posted. I guess "cards" are really just a metaphor for the different abilities you can acquire in the game?

Kinda. You make an "arsenal" (deck) of skills before a fight, and you start fights with a "hand" of four random skills from your deck on your face buttons, while more skills are drawn from that deck and put at your spawn point, so you can replace the skills in your hand with those.

peppers

Xbox Game Pass release.

Do it!

After Adam said "I think people are going to be very happy with the price" I thought exactly this.

Edit: What the fuck is happening on this thread? They literally had to hack the game to get it displayed at up to 4K, and apparently some textures that include text are only now readable but somehow this "looks bad". I actually thought we were getting some 480p bs and seeing how it actually looks has me even more interested.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Shit if this game plays like it did back on the Xbox it will probably be a more interesting and fun to play game than a lot of MP focused titles out today. There still isn't really anything else like it even to this day and it was already very far ahead of its time upon release.

Not really my type of game. Not sure what people expect though, it's a re-release of an OG Xbox game in 1080p. Just give me a couple more which are more up my street. Cough cough PGR2 cough cough Crimson Skies etc.

Dinjoralo

Oh, apparently all the data for the skills is in the cloud, so they could do balance patches and add more skills without updating the game directly. Though they can't make completely "new" skills since they don't have true source code access.

EmiPrime

If this is the first of many OG Xbox games coming to Xbox One whether it's BC or Bluepoint style reverse engineered re-releases I will be delighted.

If it's just a one off I will buy it but make some grumpy posts on GAF.

Yeah, when they talk about not having the source code, you realize this is closer to some fan preservation efforts than anything else (considering they basically hacked in the improvements).
Yeah but man,

They must have really been working with an absolutely tight budget considering they didnt even update the textures.

Wonder if the plan for it to have paid DLC came from top.

Looks like PD. On one hand, I'm glad they're doing this in the first place with knowing how much of a micro-audience the first release had, but on the other hand, I wish they could have put more weight behind it than to merely create a mildly updated product. Who is doing this version and why isn't it Grounding?

bede-x

Halo 2 Anniversary maybe, but NOT CE's. Geometry didn't line up.

Geometry didn't line up in H2A either.

Shit if this game plays like it did back on the Xbox it will probably be a more interesting and fun to play game than a lot of MP focused titles out today. There still isn't really anything else like it even to this day and it was already very far ahead of its time upon release.

That's kinda the attitude I have towards it. It looks very different from what's out there right now and if it's fun and has a decent amount of depth, I could see myself getting into it.

wwm0nkey

...Why do they have balance patches for a port/remaster/whatever of a decade+ old game handled with the cloud??? I'm starting to wonder if "the cloud" is just Microsoft's answer to everything.

Probably something they were just like "Oh hey card data is stored this way, how about we just have those values be read from this server just encase we want to balance it?" Doesn't seem like too hard of a task once you find out how its getting values.

sonicmj1

Personally, I just want to be able to play Phantom Dust online again, so I'm thrilled. For an Xbox game, the assets they found hold up surprisingly well in HD.

I can see why people might think it looks clunky, but it works really well in practice. The strictness of the animation is what allows the game to balance your limited skill usage with all these different abilities, which makes each attack a meaningful commitment. I still haven't found a multiplayer game that mixes the immediacy of a real-time action game with the creativity of deck construction, so I'm glad to have it back.

Top Bottom