• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Final Fantasy 15's female hero deserves the spotlight, says director

I doubt it will be enough and I've moved from ffxv. Have hope ff16 whenever it comes out will take the main criticism this game has and avoid.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm sure everyone is really excited to see what this guy's take on female characters is after this awesome piece of social progress

cindy_ffxv_small.jpg

I played the whole game and I didn't know who they meant from just the title.

My brain went, oh, Cindy? Wait, probably Aranea.

...oh, that's right, Luna.

I honestly thought they were talking about the female custom character for the multiplayer. Those Sunhi gifs were amazing.

So goooodd. I'm here for Sunhi's female custom character replacing Luna. Hell, just give the custom character a new game entirely.

Would rather see the great character of Jared fleshed out at this point.

Jared is the best girl.

Risev1

What annoys me the most about this is that Tabata clearly believes that Luna's singular trait of "I will give my life for Noctis" means that she's a strong character. Kingsglaive was even worst as she was consistently putting her life in danger like an idiot and making Nyx's job harder.

It's actually quite worrisome that Tabata believes this qualifies as strength.

Ydelnae

She basically isn't.

Noctis and Lunafreya do not speak during the main game. They communicate in short sentences via telepathic, warping dog. We don't really know much about her. What we do know we learn retroactively or through side content. She is an utterly awful character.

That's extrapolating a bit much. You might not like the character and I absolutely think that she was disappointing and the game should have featured her much more, but I don't think her presence in the game amounts just to her messages with Noctis. I'm not defending the way the game told her story, but anyone who payed attention could piece bits together from a arguably interesting character, in my opinion. Too bad the game failed to develop and properly execute all those concepts, though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I played the whole game and I didn't know who they meant from just the title.
Yep, let alone their names.

Super silly comments, or he must not have played the final game. No one can cape for a character as traditional and awful as her.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
”I really do have that desire to depict Luna as an even stronger female personality,"
Gotta be strong in the first place to actually be stronger.

Squire

Banned
That's extrapolating a bit much. You might not like the character and I absolutely think that she was disappointing and the game should have featured her much more, but I don't think her presence in the game amounts just to her messages with Noctis. I'm not defending the way the game told her story, but anyone who payed attention could piece bits together from a arguably interesting character, in my opinion. Too bad the game failed to develop and properly execute all those concepts, though.

Having to "piece bits together" in the absence of substantial characterization - you know, actual presence and development - is terrible.

My thought process was:
Arenea...? Not really a hero but that's cool.
Oh no wait, the devs loved Gentiana too!?
Oh yeah... Luna.

Should have been Ariana grande
I'd pay good money for a Chocobros 'Dangeous Woman' questline complete with Ariana remixes and dominatrix bunny ears for all.

He's gonna have to work HARD to attempt to accomplish that. Like real hard.

Just give the Episode: Luna DLC to Yoko Taro just to see what happens.

There's not much to her character.
They copy
dont click if you didn't finish
Aerith's death but it lacks impact since there's no character development. Noctis doesn't get to meet her in game until she's already dying. Both her and Noctis are dead, adding flash backs won't be a good way to build them up

Kvik

I dunno. I don't think calling a character is "terrible" because she didn't have a chance to develop is fair. I'd rather say "this plot development is terrible" instead.

If only we can add Lunafreya as one of Noctis' party members. Instead we have pen pals with a teleporting dog. They should've make her an ohohoho ojou-sama character instead of hime-sama. That'll probably make more sense.

Epcott

😂 Holy shit, I thought they meant Cidney... and I beat the game this past spring.

Luna felt more like a cameo than a hero. Damn shame how forgettable she is, even though she graces the title artwork.

HMD

She will probably heal and pray for people while frowning to show how tough she is.

By the way, I thought the title was talking about Iris.

Ydelnae

Having to "piece bits together" in the absence of substantial characterization - you know, actual presence and development - is terrible.

That's why I agree with anyone calling her character a waste of potential, because it acknowledges that the game does show some kind of potential in those little footnotes that form her character: her backstory as an imperial hostage, the relationship with her brother, her duty as the oracle, etc. It's just it fails to go anywhere with it to properly call it character exposition. My point was that there was more to her character than what people usually complain about (is she in love with Noctis? do they want to marry? why doesn't she have a phone?).

I thought Luna was a character who was psychologically quite strong, and have always found the "ugh, so weak" commentary to be facile and shallow. Sure, she doesn't kung fu anyone (well, except Leviathan), but there are lots of different kinds of strength. But, due to limited screen time and poor plotting, she's certainly not a compelling or interesting character as depicted.

Anyway, I'm in the give us more Gentiana and Aranea camp. I have no strong feelings about Luna either way.

Sounds like he thinks she was a strong character in the first place.

Can't wait for the PC version to literally make her playable with her own moves, lol. Man mods are gonna be fun with this game.

There's not much to her character.
They copy
dont click if you didn't finish
Aerith's death but it lacks impact since there's no character development. Noctis doesn't get to meet her in game until she's already dying. Both her and Noctis are dead, adding flash backs won't be a good way to build them up

Direct copy of
Yuna's journey and Aerith's death
with nothing supporting it at all.

Wagram

She deserves to die in a dumpster fire. Worst character in the game by far.

Poorly written, barely seen, why should we care about her?

SOLDIER

Nothing they do will make Luna interesting, because she's tailor-made to be the boring stoic Amidala type of character.

What's frustrating is that Japan loves the shit out of that type of character, which is why I tend to give them the nickname of "Shrine Maiden".

It's why the childhood friend or any type of female character with an actual human personality tend to lose in love triangles as well.

There's a reason so many Western people lost their shit at Re:Zero's protagonist over his choice.

Luna should get her own episode, but mostly because she does nothing of consequence in the main story. So, she should be fleshed out more as a character.

Based on the title alone, I definitely thought this was going to be about Aranea though. Yikes!

I never really understood who she was supposed to be, apart from the fact she was meant to marry Noct.

In fact I never really understood much about FFXV's "story" unfortunately

Halabane

I played the whole game and I didn't know who they meant from just the title.[/QUOTE

True nuff. Don't let it worry you. Her fiance didn't really care too much about her either. He liked to go camping, cook and do favors for strangers with his boyfriends all while wearing clothes perfect for the outdoors. Even as the world was ending around them and the love of his life was in danger they could talk about hair and what will be for dinner.

Now the guy in charge of this wants to be called Tabby. Seriously SE needs to clean house in their senior leadership. Even Mario races thru the game to get to the princess and they don't pretend there is a big storyline in the game. You understand his motivation. Luna was not part of this story other than a filler character.

There were two FF games out that year. This was the bad one. Really wish the WOFF would get more talk and get a second game. It was not perfect but far better than this one.

Lightning

Banned
Luna was no more disapointing than any other character in the game. She deserves some spotlight just the same as anyone else.

Without Luna Noctis doesn't receive anyone's blessing.

Who gives a fuck about Aranea? She's totally irrelevant to the main concept of the game. If a female character deserves spotlight it's Luna's.

While i would rather S-E move on from FFXV rather than try salvage an absolute shitfest of a story and it's characters luna's character is one, among many, that need clearing up.

silva1991

how can she get the spotlight if she was cut?
jEZgx3A.gif

The one and only true heroine of that universe :p

Luna was no more disapointing than any other character in the game. She deserves some spotlight just the same as anyone else.

Without Luna Noctis doesn't receive anyone's blessing.

Who gives a fuck about Aranea? She's totally irrelevant to the main concept of the game. If a female character deserves spotlight it's Luna's.

While i would rather S-E move on from FFXV rather than try salvage an absolute shitfest of a story and it's characters luna's character is one, among many, that need clearing up.

At least Aranea is a badass and sometimes will actually join the party and fight the monsters. Something Luna is too fragile to do.

Top Bottom