• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Final Fantasy 15's female hero deserves the spotlight, says director

ZoddGutts

She was a hero? Eh.

Meanwhile DQXI got it right from the get go. Strong and likeable.

OLm3k7i.jpg

DQXIps4Martina.gif

zI2KNYh.gif

An Episode Aranea would be great!! Oh? Who? Dammit. By "spotlight" does he mean "more footage of her blessing random poor people"?
Based on the title alone, I definitely thought this was going to be about Aranea though. Yikes!
Indeed. I'm not falling for this shit again after, despite being called out pretty much since the instant of re-reveal, they did zilch to address concerns about the cast (and the game suffered for it).

Toth

She basically isn't.

Noctis and Lunafreya do not speak during the main game. They communicate in short sentences via telepathic, warping dog. We don't really know much about her. What we do know we learn retroactively or through side content. She is an utterly awful character.

Huh? Did you miss the end of Chapter 9? We also see quite a bit of them talking to each other as children.

Who gives a fuck about Aranea? She's totally irrelevant to the main concept of the game. If a female character deserves spotlight it's Luna's.

I do.

She's a stronger character on every possible level. The gulf between her and the other female characters in the game is massive. She is better designed; as strong as the male leads; her motivations change during the story, thus she's not the cardboard cutout that Luna is; and there's funny dialogue from Prompto about her. She's just a unique presence in FF15.

Nothing they do will make Luna interesting, because she's tailor-made to be the boring stoic Amidala type of character.

What's frustrating is that Japan loves the shit out of that type of character, which is why I tend to give them the nickname of "Shrine Maiden".

It's why the childhood friend or any type of female character with an actual human personality tend to lose in love triangles as well.

There's a reason so many Western people lost their shit at Re:Zero's protagonist over his choice.

The love interest in JRPGs either being the childhood friend love-interest or the shrine maiden type is so urrgh. (My exception in this regard is Tifa and Aerith, lol.)

Speaking of Tifa, she is still my GOAT gold-standard when it comes to FF female leads, she genuinely feels like an actually well-rounded human being. She has as many crippling fears as she's astonishingly brave, she makes mistakes (some pretty big plot relevant ones), and she's fiercely loyal, but still not afraid to call out bullshit. I also love how both Tifa's and Aerith's personalities kind of subvert their character designs. You'd think Aerith would be the quiet one, and Tifa confident brawler, but nope! The exact opposite. They both have their fair share of snark, though, which is great - even better when they team up.

...sorry, FFVII love letter tangent. Cough. My ladies!

Lightning

Banned
The one and only true heroine of that universe :p

At least Aranea is a badass and sometimes will actually join the party and fight the monsters. Something Luna is too fragile to do.
The purpose of these episodes though is to flesh out story. Nothing about Aranea matters and need to be fleshed out as she's not important to the actual plot.

Luna was important to the plot, but like so many others, got handled poorly and as a result could do with more back story.

I do.

She's a stronger character on every possible level. The gulf between her and the other female characters in the game is massive. She is better designed; as strong as the male leads; her motivations change during the story, thus she's not the cardboard cutout that Luna is; and there's funny dialogue from Prompto about her. She's just a unique presence in FF15.
She's your typical mature level headed, Fang/Lightning like character. Motivations hardly changed that much. From her first mission with the party in mission 7 it became pretty clear she was not loyal to anyone and had no actual love for the Empire. She's just not a character that needs fleshing out, she's pretty cut and dry and not important to anything other than the cool/badaas factor she brings to fights.

Actual story though, which should be the point of these episodes, she's bottom tier.

Famassu

That's extrapolating a bit much. You might not like the character and I absolutely think that she was disappointing and the game should have featured her much more, but I don't think her presence in the game amounts just to her messages with Noctis. I'm not defending the way the game told her story, but anyone who payed attention could piece bits together from a arguably interesting character, in my opinion. Too bad the game failed to develop and properly execute all those concepts, though.
Yeah. Luna's problem is her not being featured in the game much and even what is there is handled mostly badly, not her being a character without any good qualities or room to add something more meaningful to her character. Just having her be found by & then traveling with Noctis & the gang for some time after the destruction of Insomnia would have given them room & time to build her up as an individual and to let her & Noctis' relationship grow.

Huh? Did you miss the end of Chapter 9? We also see quite a bit of them talking to each other as children.

Yeah, as kids in flashbacks talking about their respective duties instead of you know, literally about anything else.

But some kids in Tenebrae say she loves flowers and collecting stamps, so that's alright.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
She was a hero? Eh.

Meanwhile DQXI got it right from the get go. Strong and likeable.

OLm3k7i.jpg

DQXIps4Martina.gif

zI2KNYh.gif

Whoa DQXI sure looks good. Hopefully it gets localized soon.

Kouriozan

When a side character was more memorable than the actual game's "heroine", you know Luna was really useless.
We do need an episode Aranea though.

TissueBox

how can she get the spotlight if she was cut?
jEZgx3A.gif

*in Marlon Brando voice*

STEEELLA!

I was so beat to see her cut... then I decided hey, what they're going for with Luna's pseudo romance with Noctis looks cool... let's roll with it..!!

(sigh) I do still kinda like Luna but now I'm even more disgruntled about Stella's premature erasure lol.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah I assumed this would be Aranea or Iris. My mistake.

Luna sucked, was a nothing character and a big part of why the final scene of the ending was awful.

CheckMate

'In order to save time and money, we ship an unfinished game and wait for what the fanbase bitch about the most, develop it and make it available for purchase :)))))"

Tabata was and will always be a mistake.

LotusHD

Banned
The purpose of these episodes though is to flesh out story. Nothing about Aranea matters and need to be fleshed out as she's not important to the actual plot.

Luna was important to the plot, but like so many others, got handled poorly and as a result could do with more back story.

She's your typical mature level headed, Fang/Lightning like character. Motivations hardly changed that much. From her first mission with the party in mission 7 it became pretty clear she was not loyal to anyone and had no actual love for the Empire. She's just not a character that needs fleshing out, she's pretty cut and dry and not important to anything other than the cool/badaas factor she brings to fights.

Actual story though, which should be the point of these episodes, she's bottom tier.

Aranea > Iris > Nothing > Luna in terms of episodes I'd love to see.

ethomaz

Banned
That is basically the definition of trolling.

My hopes is that Tabata never get the direction of any FF... ever.

Virtually everyone

Truth, Areana kicks butt, she's relatable, and she's also hilarious.

And much as I look forward to DQ 11, I don't get the point of highlighting the monk girl in his thread as an alternative to Luna in XV when XV already has Aranea. Who's a well designed and likable badass with a spear.

Go back to my earlier post where I said, of the two, Luna deserves an episode BECAUSE she has ZERO character development.

You spent an entire paragraph describing all the facets of Aranea's character, and yet I'd wager you'd have trouble doing the same for Luna.

Basically, we actually agree. ;)

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
Worst character in a video game. Aranea Highwind requires the spotlight not her.

Oh my word, the hyperbole. And Aranea wouldn't hold up in most respectable stories. She's basically Celes with less development.

Let's face it, most things about the story of FFXV don't hold up well when you pit them against well written narratives.

Pein

Banned
I honestly forgot about Luna there for a minute, I'm like Cindy? You can also play as aranea I guess???

But I like my first thought more anyway, more Cindy plz.

Famassu

Tabata really really wants to keep milking FF15 eh?
His division needs time to prepare & gear up for the production of their next game. No harm done with having part of it continue working on FFXV while the next project is still not ready for full production, especially considering a lot of it is clearly aimed at gaining all kinds of experince, improving Luminous & all kinds of stuff like that which they can then harness in the development of said next game

firelogic

lol, Tabata is a funny dude. I think he's deliberately trolling everyone now. He must be after proclaiming how awesome Luna was in the game and now he wants to make her EVEN MORE awesome than she already is.

I hope to every god out there that Tabata isn't in charge of the next FF and it has nothing to do with XV.

Steroyd

Saw the thread title and was confused.
Read the article was about Lunafreya and was even more confused.

There's already a thin pool of female characters that barely registered in my consciousness during the game, never mind one that could be the focus of a DLC episode as a "hero".

#TeamGentiana

Real talk: One of my favorite things in XV was how she would randomly photobomb your pictures.

Loved it. And you could argue, after Episode Prompto, that Aranea has had a fair bit of screen time. Gentiana could definitely use some more time in the spotlight.

Socivol

Luna could have been better if you saw more of her journey. They should have just done what TLOU did and after telling us there were no female characters had you switch to Luna's POV and let you play as her. It could have really fleshed her out and explained her journey and her sacrifice. It also is aluded to that Luna knows that
Arydn is a supernatural presense
but they don't give any perspective into how or why she knows that.

Manu

I remember reading the OT and most people missed the only scene that makes Luna look like a good character, because it's optional and easily missable.

She really got the short end of the stick in the game.

Top Bottom