• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Final Fantasy 15's female hero deserves the spotlight, says director

Team Stella for life

Also approached this thread not knowing who it was the quote had in mind. Thought for a moment they meant Cidny, which I would be all over if it happened.

Aranea > Iris > Nothing > Luna in terms of episodes I'd love to see.

Aranea was my favorite character in the game, and surprisingly I started to like Iris when she tagged along. She also had a decent tag team skill and being a potion mule was a plus. I would be down for an episode where Aranea trains Iris during the timeframe of the multiplayer add on.

Socivol

Another question I have is the person that leaked a bunch of spoilers said they had created a ton of story scenes they didn't use so where the hell are those?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't think you guys simply understand how strong of a female character Luna is in all honesty. She's possibly one of the best portrayed character in the game in terms of strength. Despite knowing her own mortality and fate she consistently fought through the hardships put before her so she can support her King. It wasn't that Noctis was saving the world but essentially Luna was saving the world through Noctis and enabling him. I can easily see Luna being the primary protagonist of the game and the real hero. She also exhibits supernatural strength through healing. The game consistently has you heal using potions but Luna doesn't need that. Even though Noctis can heal, he can only do so with the Ring of the Lucii and only from enemies. Luna is easily the strongest female character. It's really sad that she didn't get enough spotlight in the game but I think despite the lack of spotlight, she got a ton of characterization that simply overshadows the main party. She's easily one of the best female characters in Final Fantasy of all time. Better than Terra even.

OrionX

Poor Luna. It's a shame she didn't get a spotlight during the original development of the game... or like, a flashlight... maybe some candlelight...

LotusHD

Banned
I don't think you guys simply understand how strong of a female character Luna is in all honesty. She's possibly one of the best portrayed character in the game in terms of strength. Despite knowing her own mortality and fate she consistently fought through the hardships put before her so she can support her King. It wasn't that Noctis was saving the world but essentially Luna was saving the world through Noctis and enabling him. I can easily see Luna being the primary protagonist of the game and the real hero. She also exhibits supernatural strength through healing. The game consistently has you heal using potions but Luna doesn't need that. Even though Noctis can heal, he can only do so with the Ring of the Lucii and only from enemies. Luna is easily the strongest female character. It's really sad that she didn't get enough spotlight in the game but I think despite the lack of spotlight, she got a ton of characterization that simply overshadows the main party. She's easily one of the best female characters in Final Fantasy of all time. Better than Terra even.

As someone who had XV as their first FF game, that's concerning...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Like someone else said WAY back, this gif really perfectly represents how "strong" of a character Luna is:
j66Fixg.gif

a8c.jpg

But seriously, go for Episode Lunafreya. No matter what else you can say, the shear passion the FFXV have for the game is insane. They're so desperate for the game to be the best they think it can be

PixelatedBookake

"But what about when she slapped that gun away that one time?"

GIVE 👏🏾 ME 👏🏾 IRIS 👏🏾 THE 👏🏾 DEMONSLAYER

LordKasual

Banned
what would we even do in a Luna DLC? Walk around and cure sick people?

Not this shit again. You had your chance. You paraded her around as a "strong female character" before release.

The game said otherwise.

how did the game say otherwise

i'm always curious when people say this because it doesn't make any sense

Like someone else said WAY back, this gif really perfectly represents how "strong" of a character Luna is:
j66Fixg.gif

the fuck does not knowing how to pilot a vehicle have to do with weakness

"Yo move we need to live"

"NO im a strong woman i'm gonna prove it by piloting this vehicle that I don't know how to pilot as well as a trained kingsglaive because i'm not a kingsglaive or a knight nor have any combat training whatsoever"

"but im so strong, watch"

Crossing Eden

I disagree. It take strength to admit your weaknesses and let someone who actually knows how to pilot the vehicle do the deed.
Boy
coach-hines_zpse2918eca.gif

It's a metaphor for how she's basically a walking plot device who instead of an actual character and then she ends up fridged. Definitely a VERY far cry from anything resembling a strong woman character.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Did you just now...realize that tabata? what the fuck

You were the one bragging about how much stronger and better Luna is than stella, and yet you didn't even bother to show anything resembling that in the base game or the side content.

You don't get to offhandledly say you want to give her content months and months and months after release when you already prioritized what the base game provided. Its too fucking late.

Not this shit again. You had your chance. You paraded her around as a "strong female character" before release.

The game said otherwise.

Preach

PixelatedBookake

Are you taking crazy pills? She's not even the best female character in the game.

Even in the flashback in the game she was still talking about Noctis, her character pretty much revolved around him.

Tabata constantly talking about the gun scene was cringey as well.

You put the Luna in lunacy

kayos90

Are you taking crazy pills? She's not even the best female character in the game.

I disagree. Who cares about some annoying teenager and a randomly mercenary that can win a gold medal in the Olympics for pole vaulting. No one cares about that shit. What we care about is a princess who is born into privilege but still has to undergo immense trials and tribulations to save the world. The other female characters are extremely lackluster when it comes to actual strength and personality features. Luna is one of the best in the game and in the series.

Yuna was pretty much Luna but done much better. The game overall has some serious issues with the script and character direction and Luna was one who got hit hard.

The scene during meeting Leviathan was a glimmer of hope but
she got killed off in an insulting way.

Edited in case those who never finished the game.

Runner67

Honestly, all this bandwagon hate is giving me a headache. It seems like people forget that the man actually brought an almost vaporware title back from the dead because Square couldn't let it go. Don't blame the developer for wanting to flesh out characters backstory and stuff that wasn't covered in game. Instead voice what you want in the game next, the article literally specifies that they are listening to peoples requests and will continue to fix the story after Episode Ignis.

Tabata has openly admitted that the game was unfinished, support the man in trying to fix that.

kayos90

Yuna was pretty much Luna but done much better. The game overall has some serious issues with the script and character direction and Luna was one who got hit hard.

No way. Yuna has to suck up to Tidus and she always had to physically rely on Tidus and the party to keep up her strength. Luna did everything she could practically on her own and even
ended up dying for the cause
. Yuna wishes she could be like Luna.

LotusHD

Banned
I disagree. Who cares about some annoying teenager and a randomly mercenary that can win a gold medal in the Olympics for pole vaulting. No one cares about that shit. What we care about is a princess who is born into privilege but still has to undergo immense trials and tribulations to save the world. The other female characters are extremely lackluster when it comes to actual strength and personality features. Luna is one of the best in the game and in the series.

God you're good

Shamdeo

"Yo move we need to live"

"NO im a strong woman i'm gonna prove it by piloting this vehicle that I don't know how to pilot as well as a trained kingsglaive because i'm not a kingsglaive or a knight nor have any combat training whatsoever"

"but im so strong, watch"

in the literal next shot she jumps out of a moving airship because she cant wait for nyx to land

Honestly, all this bandwagon hate is giving me a headache. It seems like people forget that the man actually brought an almost vaporware title back from the dead because Square couldn't let it go. Don't blame the developer for wanting to flesh out characters backstory and stuff that wasn't covered in game. Instead voice what you want in the game next, the article literally specifies that they are listening to peoples requests and will continue to fix the story after Episode Ignis.

Tabata has openly admitted that the game was unfinished, support the man in trying to fix that.

I respect him for still supporting the game and it's appreciated but I think a Aranea episode would be better.

kayos90

in the literal next shot she jumps out of a moving airship because she cant wait for nyx to land

It takes a lot of strength to jump out of a moving ship to save her soon to be father-in-law. You tell me if you can do that.

LordKasual

Banned
It's a metaphor for how she's basically a walking plot device who instead of an actual character and then she ends up fridged. Definitely a VERY far cry from anything resembling a strong woman character.

what does "walking plot device" even mean in this context, she's a non-party NPC with an important role, of course her actions/fate is integral to the plot.

Does that mean Regis was a non-walking plot device? Because he's important to Noctis and then dies?

By that logic, was Regis weak too? Is he ever shown overpowering anyone in the film? Ardyn just walks up and bitches him out in his own court, his kingdom falls, he gets people killed, is he now disqualified from being a "Strong" character?

Should they have just made Luna like Aranea, a typical Mercenary trope? Would she be a "strong female character" then, if she's able to whack mobs with you? Maybe if she had a tiny little fighting sequence where she killed a few Magitek Troops! Yeah, that'd be awesome, right?!

lol i've had this argument plenty of times, and the only real takeaway is that "Strong Female Character" in this context is just whatever is on the person in question's character fantasy checklist at the time.

People have the nerve to bitch and whine about how Luna is a pathetic excuse for a "Strong Female Character"

But then their best comparison example is some blonde chick who looks pretty in a dress, and then again in a skirt when she summons a sword with a glare and does nothing with it

I genuinely can't tell if this is genuine or satire

Edit: Ok, I can tell now after reading your other posts

what does "walking plot device" even mean in this context, she's a non-party NPC with an important role, of course her actions/fate is integral to the plot.

Does that mean Regis was a non-walking plot device too? Because he's important to Noctis and then dies?

By that logic, was Regis weak too? Is he ever shown overpowering anyone in the film? Ardyn just walks up and bitches him out in his own court, is he now disqualified from being a "Strong" character?

Should they have just made Luna like Aranea, a typical Mercenary trope? Would she be a "strong female character" then, if she's able to whack mobs with you?

lol i've had this argument plenty of times, and the only real takeaway is that "Strong Female Character" in this context is just whatever is on the person in question's character fantasy checklist at the time.

The issue is she constantly talks about Noctis, we barely get much from her in terms of self characterization. The big opportunity to do so the flashback was used to talk about Noctis once again.

Some scenes/backstory of her on her own without Nocstis being mentioned would have been nice. She doesn't have to be fighting or be a badass trope just something that made her stand on her own apart from Noctis.

Eh I kinda liked Luna still even though she should of had a bit more screen time. I also don't mind the dogs communicating thing which seems to bother a lot of people.

Ending spoilers lol
I also liked the bittersweetness that she knew herself and Noctis would die.It's kinda sad she was leading Noctis to his death lol. Even though she is marysue she still had a strong resolve even if you think its stupid resolve i guess???

In all I don't think Luna is as bad as people make out.

LordKasual

Banned
The issue is she constantly talks about Noctis, we barely get much from her in terms of self characterization. The big opportunity to do so the flashback was used to talk about Noctis once again.

Some scenes/backstory of her on her own without Nocstis being mentioned would have been nice. She doesn't have to be fighting or be a badass trope just something that made her stand on her own apart from Noctis.

Yeah, some more scenes would have been excellent, some more screentime as well. Both Luna and Ravus needed alot more screentime than they got in the actual game. But the game has no shortage of dialogue devoted to what she actually does for you in the events of the game, both before the game starts and in parallel with what Noctis is doing.

She goes through the same shit Noctis goes through, except by herself, and with no Power of Kings or trained Crownsguard entourage to drive her around, feed her, defend her, or snap photos.

So as far as actions are concerned, the idea that she's even a mentally weak character is just stupid. People should just say, "She was boring", or "She got no screentime", or "She wasn't compelling", or "I wish she knew how to fight". Her personality or romantic interests are nearly irrelevant here, FFS they're irrelevant as far as the game's story itself is concerned, which was the entire point

using her as an example of a "weak woman" is just the stupidest shit to me.

kayos90

Yeah, some more scenes would have been excellent, some more screentime as well. Both Luna and Ravus needed alot more screentime than they got in the actual game. But the game has no shortage of dialogue devoted to what she actually does for you in the events of the game, both before the game starts and in parallel with what Noctis is doing.

She goes through the same shit Noctis goes through, except by herself, and with no Power of Kings or trained Crownsguard entourage to drive her around, feed her, defend her, or snap photos.

So as far as actions are concerned, the idea that she's even a mentally weak character is just stupid. People should just say, "She was boring", or "She got no screentime", or "She wasn't compelling".

But using her as an example of a "weak woman" is just the stupidest shit to me.

I agree with this post. This is like one of the best posts I've read in this thread.

PixelatedBookake

I think you're trolling but Aranea had more interesting character development and a better relationship with the main characters than Luna ever had. Iris even has this too if you go by what the game tells you about her in the end. Why stan so hard for Luna? You can enjoy the game and still think she was disappointing.

EDIT: I just read your most recent post lol you funny

Thought they were talking about Aranea. Luna barely had any portrayal in the game. Tabata want to portray her as even stronger female hero. Maybe get her in the game first???
Aranea is way more interesting. How the other characters respond to her. Even Cindy would be a good choice. Luna? Meh.

Give me Demonslayer Iris.

kayos90

I think you're trolling but Aranea had more interesting character development and a better relationship with the main characters than Luna ever had. Iris even has this too if you go by what the game tells you about her in the end. Why stan so hard for Luna? You can enjoy the game and still think she was disappointing.

Aranea had character development? She was the same sarcastic, flirty, selfish mercenary that she was when you first meet her until the very last scene you see her. She is far from developed. She's a very static character. There is no development. I think you're mistaking exposition for development. Iris was static as well for the most part. "OH I LOVE YOU NOCTIS. WATCH ME DO NOTHING TO ACTUALLY HELP YOUR CAUSE IN SAVING THE WORLD MINUS THIS ONE RANDOM TRIP WHERE OMG IS YOUR SHOULDER TOUCHING MINE??!!!!" Come on dude.

BasilZero

Cant wait to play as Lunafreya in Episode Luna DLC l0l

Final Fantasy XV Season Pass Season 2

Episode Luna
Episode Aranea
Episode Iris

Do eet.

Mesoian

The game said otherwise.
Yup. You might say that she's a strong female protag what don't need no man, but the game and the movie said otherwise.

Crossing Eden

Does that mean Regis was a non-walking plot device? Because he's important to Noctis and then dies?

By that logic, was Regis weak too? Is he ever shown overpowering anyone in the film? Ardyn just walks up and bitches him out in his own court, his kingdom falls, he gets people killed, is he now disqualified from being a "Strong" character?

Should they have just made Luna like Aranea, a typical Mercenary trope? Would she be a "strong female character" then, if she's able to whack mobs with you? Maybe if she had a tiny little fighting sequence where she killed a few Magitek Troops! Yeah, that'd be awesome, right?!

People have the nerve to bitch and whine about how Luna is a pathetic excuse for a "Strong Female Character"

But then their best comparison example is some blonde chick who looks pretty in a dress, and then again in a skirt when she summons a sword with a glare and does nothing with it
Yea again it's a problem of telling instead of showing. We don't see Luna walking around doing any of the oracle or how much she struggled, we're told that that's happening, and then when actually presented with scenes of her, they're incredibly lackluster and do very little show some actual characterization. I'm not saying Stella is either. Both are paper thin as actual characters and since we got a full game of Luna, she's a walking plot device.

That is literal perfection oh my lord.

Aranea is the kickass girl and a better heroine.

I dont know why he tries so hard a "strong female" on a character that isn't one.

Also
Aranea is still alive right? She might even be the next playable character after XV ends

Runner67

All I'll say is the article specifically says they want to support the game after Ignis and continue adding updates and DLC to the story via player feedback. You want an Aranea DLC? Be vocal about it. You want Ardyn flashbacks as answers to how the fuck the world came to be the way it is? Be vocal! Something I've never seen before is a single player like this getting as much single player updates as it does. There's a ton of things the playerbase has requested that they've done already, save the story content.

Top Bottom