• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Final Fantasy 15's female hero deserves the spotlight, says director

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
And writing off everything she did off screen.

Yeah. It's why Tabata, being the wise man that he is, made this comment about her deserving the spotlight in the first place. A fantastic character like her deserves more.

LordKasual

Banned
I think you're trolling but Aranea had more interesting character development and a better relationship with the main characters than Luna ever had. Iris even has this too if you go by what the game tells you about her in the end. Why stan so hard for Luna? You can enjoy the game and still think she was disappointing.

For me personally, I just have respect for women (real ones) who are able to persevere and actually get shit done, despite having all of the odds and luck turned against them. Life isn't fair or equal, and everyone can't be expected to have a position of power over their enemies, given what they have to work with. This has historically counted double for women.

So off description alone, people who assert that Luna is an example of a "weak woman"...I feel like they believe they're looking for some idealized version of a "strong woman", but in reality, they are just asserting the most shallow idea of what a "strong" person even looks like.

I agree that Luna was a pretty barebones character, but so many people calling her concept weak just feels...really odd to me. And when I ask people to articulate, they just respond with typical examples of how she doesn't resemble some other female character who deals with far less in the narrative, but is able to actually deal damage to enemies, so it's easier to call them "strong"

thats just my own peeve with it really, people who complain about strength, but then respond with like this middle-school tier example of what a strong person looks like

PixelatedBookake

Aranea had character development? She was the same sarcastic, flirty, selfish mercenary that she was when you first meet her until the very last scene you see her. She is far from developed. She's a very static character. There is no development. I think you're mistaking exposition for development. Iris was static as well for the most part. "OH I LOVE YOU NOCTIS. WATCH ME DO NOTHING TO ACTUALLY HELP YOUR CAUSE IN SAVING THE WORLD MINUS THIS ONE RANDOM TRIP WHERE OMG IS YOUR SHOULDER TOUCHING MINE??!!!!" Come on dude.

I definitely felt as if she had more development than Luna of all characters. Her seperation from being allied with the Nif empire over the course of the game is a major plot point to her character. Hell, I'd say its the ONLY plot point to her character. It wasn't much, but that's more than Luna got.

And with Iris I was talking more what was implied after the
timeskip
And her scenes with Noctis were pretty cute and all in all their relationship was better defined than his and Luna's, even if Noctis didn't see her romantically.

For me personally, I just have respect for women (real ones) who are able to persevere and actually get shit done, despite having all of the odds and luck turned against them. Life isn't fair or equal, and everyone can't be expected to have a position of power over their enemies, given what they have to work with. This has historically counted double for women.

So off description alone, people who assert that Luna is an example of a "weak woman"...I feel like they believe they're looking for some idealized version of a "strong woman", but in reality, they are just asserting the most shallow idea of what a "strong" person even looks like.

I agree that Luna was a pretty barebones character, but so many people calling her concept weak just feels...really odd to me. And when I ask people to articulate, they just respond with typical examples of how she doesn't resemble some other female character who deals with far less in the narrative, but is able to actually deal damage to enemies, so it's easier to call them "strong"

thats just my own peeve with it really, people who complain about strength, but then respond with like this middle-school tier example of what a strong person looks like

Doing the lords work

kayos90

Okay. I can't do this anymore. I'm so sorry guys. What was supposed to be a mild joke actually went wrong and gave birth to a user named LordKasual. I'm so sorry.

Severance

I honestly thought by hero he meant Aranea. That says a lot about how they handled Luna. They made a flashy game and a great bro trip, but they forgot about the rest of the story. They had their chance. After Ignis and his DLC, let FFXV rest and give us a proper, complete Final Fantasy 16.

I've put nearly 20 hours into FFXV so far and saw Luna exactly once.

Isn't she supposed to be on the run or something?
Why is she wearing a dress and heels?

Looks more like she's on the runway.

patchday

yeah they dropped the ball so hard on Luna. My heart kinda broke what they did was so stupid.

lol!!

kayos90

usually people would just direct quote with some kind of reason of why i'm stupid

but not kayos90, no you gotta make "mild jokes" and personal, curiously sideways allusions

y u gotta be sideways bro im right here

Gonna be honest. When I wrote my post I wasn't really thinking about you. It wasn't until you started posting that some of the stuff you were writing was right in line with mine and then I realized I made a huge mistake. I didn't actually think someone would write something like what I wrote and be genuine about it. =/

OrionX

You think Luna had time to stop and change clothes? She didn't get to borrow Daddy's car and go camping with her best girlfriends while a professional chef fixed all her meals. She didn't get to race chocobo's or collect tomatoes for random gas station chefs! No. She had a mission to fulfill. If that meant staining her pretty white heels with blood as she walked across the vast countryside, so be it.

Strength!

ViciousDS

Banned
I like her design but dear lord you cant make her strong when there literally wasn't anything there to begin with. I felt sorry noctis had to even bother with her lol

She basically isn't.

Noctis and Lunafreya do not speak during the main game. They communicate in short sentences via telepathic, warping dog. We don't really know much about her. What we do know we learn retroactively or through side content. She is an utterly awful character.

I like how you just dropped that sentence in there, and yet that nonsense is exactly what the game portrays.

You think Luna had time to stop and change clothes? She didn't get to borrow Daddy's car and go camping with her best girlfriends while a professional chef fixed all her meals. She didn't get to race chocobo's or collect tomatoes for random gas station chefs! No. She had a mission to fulfill. If that meant staining her pretty white heels with blood as she walked across the vast countryside, so be it.

Strength!

When you put it that way, it actually makes sense.

Luna was doing all of the heavy-lifting plot-stuff while Noctis and co. were screwing around killing fantasy giraffes and shilling coleman brand camp-gear.

Ludist210

When you put it that way, it actually makes sense.

Luna was doing all of the heavy-lifting plot-stuff while Noctis and co. were screwing around killing fantasy giraffes and shilling coleman brand camp-gear.
Don't forget about eating Cup Noodles. That one sidequest was basically an ad for them...

farisr

Every single female character in FFXIII (haven't played the sequels) save for maybe Serah was a stronger female personality than Luna is in XV. And I'm seemingly one of the few on gaf that actually likes the story in XV.

-welp, should have put her in the game then...-

Seriously though, on paper and in their minds she must have been a strong independent female character... but shit we saw and came to appreciate Aranea more than Luna. You dropped the ball SE. Get over it.

Rarius

Luna is like, negative character. She does NOTHING the whole game yet everything about the story just talks about how important she is.

She appears for like, a grand total of five minutes in the game, has no personality whatsoever, and then appears in the ending to be even more contrived.

The little sister you interact with like, three times in the entire game is far more of a character than her, and has more screentime.

Luna is a fucking joke

I'll also admit that I thought this was going to be about Cindy and I started wondering if it was going to be her fighting with a wrench or a car racing DLC. I honestly almost forgot all the other female characters form FFXV aside from Cindy and Aranea. I think Cindy is the one who you interact with the most because of all the car side quests and she appears on the AssCreed trailer so I don't blame anyone thinking of her before anyone else :p.

KZMHDSY.gif
There should an abridged version of all the game story on that style!

Anyone know how Luna (and Aranea) was received in Japan? Is this a case of Western gamers disliking her non-presence while Japanese gamers liked her whole stoic, stand by your man gimmick?

Tommi84

Seriously. Luna's a dummy with no agency of her own.
She dies like s chump, too.
Yeah, uhm, thanks for this. You might have mentioned it's a story spoiler so I would click on it, but no, you decided to be 'intelligent'...

Jonnax

There was no relationship between Noctis and Luna.

Exchanging sentences in a book is stupid in a world of mobile phones.

Tabata made me care as much about her as Jared.

I really hope everyone in here snacking or making jokes actually backed that up by voting for Luna during that poll they had. Really, from all of the choices they had, Tabata should be aiming to get as much back into the game as possible — but I voted for more Luna content because the game sorely needs it.

I'll also admit that I thought this was going to be about Cindy and I started wondering if it was going to be her fighting with a wrench or a car racing DLC. I honestly almost forgot all the other female characters form FFXV aside from Cindy and Aranea. I think Cindy is the one who you interact with the most because of all the car side quests and she appears on the AssCreed trailer so I don't blame anyone thinking of her before anyone else :p.

tumblr_oc2z6dBMAw1qhg68go2_400.gif

How could your forget about Iris!

Ludens

Banned
Tabata had the chance before providing a 15 minutes on screen time for pretty much all female characters in XB.

Copper

You mean Aranea? Hell even Iris would be more deserving of a spotlight.

Who's Luna? The one who had a 5 min cut scene and was mentioned briefly?

Top Bottom