• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: MS needs to admit the XB1 Kinect is a peripheral, not a pack-in. [Opinion]

Oh please Gary Bettman grant me the strength to endure

Read forum Post #1 - here.
Read forum Post #2 - here.
Read forum Post #3 - here...a near carbon copy of Forum Post #2, mind.

Google Search poster by nick. Find poster's Kickstarter page.

Google the RL name on that Kickstarter page. Find Twitter profile with the same photo and a slew of Xbone marketing retweets.

You know, similar to what we discovered late last year.

At the very least, last year's batch of virals and wanna-be's made it interesting. This shit is amateur hour. Stop it. Now.

I am honored to be in your presence.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't understand hiring fake forum fanboys, it's never going to change anyone's mind, and if they get caught, they make the first party look bad, seems like a lose/lose situation.

I don't understand hiring fake forum fanboys, it's never going to change anyone's mind, and if they get caught, they make the first party look bad, seems like a lose/lose situation.

Believe me, if creativity was XBOX Division's forte we would've been given a good reason to want a Kinect by now.

The problem with Microsoft not packing in Kinect is that they've built their roadmap around it.

1. The OS is worse without it.
  2. They've sold the proposition of advertisement augmentation/metrics to agencies.
  3. They've created/grown studios around the potential of Kinect.
  4. They've spent hundreds of millions researching, designing and launching it.
  5. Its their biggest 'differentiator' against Sony.
  6. Their next add-on peripheral requires it to function. Fortaleza.

Outside of Live, its been the Xbox division's biggest investment/initiative. Can they really admit defeat/failure (again- re, drm etc) at a time when the division is under so much pressure from investors?

As a consumer, take the damn thing out of the box. I don't want anything associated with it and I want you to make the OS better and designed around voice (headset) or the controller.
If I were an investor, I'd be in two minds - I wouldn't want the Xbox division to lose money to Sony but at the same time this thing was promoted like the second coming of Christ and it needs to pay off.

Biker19

Banned
I think people are forgetting how bad the first year of the ps3 was and how they made a huge comeback.

Xbox One is doing well and much better than PS3 and 360. PS4 is just doing amazing.

I think that won't exactly work out the same way like you think. Maybe in North America, but everywhere else? Forget it. The PlayStation brand is simply too strong.

Marco1

I like kinect but I only like what it's supposed to do not what it actually does.
When I tell kinect xbox turn off, I expect it to work 100% of the time just like pressing the off button does. When it stops working all of the time then it's useless to me.
It also doesn't impress anyone around me watching when I have to repeat it so many times I end up giving up. It then becomes embarrassing because they all know I just offloaded £429 on this.
Sort the fucking tech MS or else don't include it, if you're to embarrassed to admit that it doesn't work then it will be your failing and you deserve it.
I love the idea of illumiroom and fortaleza.

I think I'm more frustrated that the Kinect just became a voice command/gesture box. Remember all the tech demo videos that came out when the Kinect was first announced, and all the cool little features like scanning items into games? What happened to that?

To their credit, I do have to say that I was quite surprised how much my girlfriend took to the XB1 as a media device. I figured the passthrough would be hooked up for a day before she'd had enough, but she loves it, and the voice command stuff does work reasonably well most of the time. However, it's still far from perfect, and still needs some work.

Top Bottom