• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: MS needs to admit the XB1 Kinect is a peripheral, not a pack-in. [Opinion]

ironcreed

Banned
This is so ridiculous to say. The Bone is going to come down in price and with Halo 5 and Gears 4 coming, the xbox is going to be just fine. I do think the vision of an all-in-one device that the masses will buy is quickly becoming a pipe dream though. Xb1 will sell 60-70 million units in its lifetime at least. Probably more. No need for all this doom and gloom.

I agree that this is the more probable outcome. But they need that price drop ASAP. As I think the added cost is what makes the system in general so unattractive for many. If they could drop the price while leaving Kinect in, it might actually get more positive feedback. That is the route I would go before just unpacking it.

I mean hell, they built the system around Kinect and it needs something different to make it stand out given the power gap. But that message is just not going to register at $500. Make the price more attractive and the overall package will become more attractive. If no one gives a shit, then they need to be given incentive to give a shit. If that fails? The sure, just ditch it and hope exclusives are enough.

Duxxy3

MS has to do the same thing Sony did to start the comeback though, a price drop. The 40gb PS3 was a great help for them.

Yup, hate to say it but it's time to drop features and try to achieve price parity - the same way the PS3 had to do. If Sony had kept the original model the PS3 never would have caught up.

Just a thought - it is possible to issue commands through a headset, right? So after removing kinect, maybe they can include a small small mic that plugs into the controller and keep the same functionality. Would have to be sensitive, but it could work.

Tobor

Microsoft might be in a better position if they sold the One like a subsidized smartphone.

Something like $100 up front and $20 a month for two years is easier to swallow than $500 to most consumers.

The 360 subscription experiment must have turned them off from that option for whatever reason.

There were plenty of rumors that they were going to do that, but the cable companies weren't interested. They tend to balk at anything that replaces their hardware with someone else's, and they loathe anything that makes it easier to buy or rent content through anyone but themselves.

Enchanted

Banned
I can respect the person who finds use with Kinect, but I paid $600 in Australia for my Xbox One and I didn't even use the Kinect, was in the box the entire time.

I had no intention of using it either, wasted money and a negative bullet point that gamers use against buying the system.

MS are detached from what gamers want and this entire system is proof of that, broad entertainment play was the wrong move. Rat boy Mattrick was no J Allard.

I agree that this is the more probable outcome. But they need that price drop ASAP. As I think the added cost is what makes the system in general so unattractive for many. If they could drop the price while leaving Kinect in, it might actually get more positive feedback. That is the route I would go before just unpacking it.

I mean hell, they built the system around Kinect and it needs something different to make it stand out given the power gap. But that message is just not going to register at $500. Make the price more attractive and the overall package will become more attractive. If no one gives a shit, then they need to be given incentive to give a shit. If that fails? The sure, just ditch it and hope exclusives are enough.

A price drop NEEDS to happen. Their strategy of offering a less capable product at a higher cost is what's killing them. Since they can't compete on technology, they can only compete on price, and to do that they have to offer it at under $400. Even at that price, with everything paywalled and microtransacted, it's a questionable value.

My workplace is dominated by Xbox One owners. They have themselves convinced that no one wants a PS4 and Microsoft is dominating this console gen. For whatever reason, they have been successful talking people out of wanting a PS4. They also, however, think the Xbox One has secret hardware that hasn't been activated yet.lol You find pockets of people like this everywhere during every gen. It is just something that happens.

sounds like they found a certain live journal that shall not be named.

Everyone I work with that had 360's only, now have ps4's. And most of them are what you call casual gamers. Married with kids and only game on the weekends.

These are people that do NOT read gaming websites.

Their reason for choosing that over the xb1?:

First was the price. It was cheaper.

Second was they heard it was more powerful.

Third was they heard the xb1 worked with the NSA to spy. lol

Fourth was that the kinnect didnt work.

Their overall view of the xb1 was that it was an over priced...thing...that they just didnt understand. Sounds a lot like the Wii U issues.

They heard the ps4 was more powerful, saw it was cheaper and that was that.

Not sure WHERE they heard about those things if they didnt read gaming websites, maybe they saw that stuff on those opinion articles on forbes or huffington...

So the word is out there to the general masses, that xb1 just is...meh..
I don't know many people that own either Next-Gen system yet, but I've heard from more than one of my more casual gaming friends that they still thought the Xbox One didn't let you play used games. That's something the general public actually seemed to hear in the leadup to the XB1, and Microsoft did a really poor job of messaging that it actually CAN now.

BibiMaghoo

They do have new IP though... more than they've ever had. Quantum Break, RYSE (i know, its not great but maybe theres hope for a good sequel), Killer Instinct, Insomniacs weird looking shooter game, Titanfall, etc.

If last gen was any indication they're in this for the long haul (7+ years) so if you don't think they'll still sell a shit ton of consoles in that time frame you've gotta be crazy.

Absolutely, and I didn't say otherwise. But pinning hopes on old franchises made by different devs at a time when their previous entries performed badly, is not a good idea. This applies to Halo, Gears, and Fable.

Going by last gen, their idea of long haul is to abandon making anything new and risky for the latter half of the consoles life. That is not a good hope to have either.

New games will sell the console. Their problem is that these new games cannot be on another system. PS3 managed it, so can the Xbone. The games you listed as new Ip's could well achieve this.

kmg90

I think people are forgetting how bad the first year of the ps3 was and how they made a huge comeback.

Xbox One is doing well and much better than PS3 and 360. PS4 is just doing amazing.

Well the PS3 and Xbox One have their different reasons for having rough starts.

The PS3 introduced an architecture and hardware design (that with a bit of work, could perform relatively equal to it's competing system) that created high initial difficulty curve for development on the system (Mark Cerny stated that time-to-triangle was around 6 months to a year compared to PS2 3-6 months)
XB1 also has a hardware design that has a higher difficulty curve however technically does not have the capability to perform similarly to it's competing system due to less capable GPU and memory bandwidth.

The PS3 also had some problems with manufacturing which reduced the number of units available for the first year.

Also an arguable difference between the PS3 and Xbox One is that Sony's first party support/games provided a wide range of experiences that no other system had AFTER the first couple years after launch.

The Xbox One doesn't really have anything "in the chamber" that compares to how much resources Sony put into first party/exclusive titles.

Titanfall, Project Spark are not exclusive to XB1 and can be found on other matured platforms that won't require $500 upfront to play.

Peggle 2 will make it's way to other platforms...

Halo, Gears, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive are the only titles that can be found on the XB1 most of which have had very little details on at this point.

PS4 has The Order, Uncharted, Infamous, that Capcom F2P that I can't think of it's name atm, MLB the Show and Driveclub

This is so ridiculous to say. The Bone is going to come down in price and with Halo 5 and Gears 4 coming, the xbox is going to be just fine. I do think the vision of an all-in-one device that the masses will buy is quickly becoming a pipe dream though. Xb1 will sell 60-70 million units in its lifetime at least. Probably more. No need for all this doom and gloom.

Halo 5 is next year, Gears in two, they will do nothing now. And unless you expect MS to sell 50 million X1s in NA, they aren't getting anywhere near 70 million. Their EU market will contract heavily and in NA they'll be lucky to get so much as parity let alone a sales lead.

scoobs

Absolutely, and I didn't say otherwise. But pinning hopes on old franchises made by different devs at a time when their previous entries performed badly, is not a good idea. This applies to Halo, Gears, and Fable.

Going by last gen, their idea of long haul is to abandon making anything new and risky for the latter half of the consoles life. That is not a good hope to have either.

New games will sell the console. Their problem is that these new games cannot be on another system. PS3 managed it, so can the Xbone. The games you listed as new Ip's could well achieve this.

What happened in the past (hopefully) won't be repeated in the future. Thats up to Microsoft, we'll have to see if they are really committed to new IP or if they'll revert back to franchise fatigue.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
I know an Xbox employee in a Reddit AMA said that the Kinect costs almost as much as the console to make. I'm sure they could release a $299 SKU without it right now and still be successful, so a $349 SKU sounds more realistic if they were to cut the Kinect.

I don't use my Kinect at all, unless it's for voice commands, which I wouldn't mind living without for a pretty penny more in my pocket.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
While I agree Kinect is dat hot poo poo, it's still too early to tell what they can or will do with it even though their track record last gen with Kinect 1 was beyond sub-par.

b0bbyJ03

everything that is wrong with the Xbone is all relative to the price... the resolution/performance is horrible..... for a $500 machine. The price drops to $350 without the Kinect and all of a sudden this thing becomes a beast.... people won't say "oh it can't compete with ps4 or PC, blah blah blah" instead it'll be "not bad for a $350 machine" or "what do you expect for the price?" I personally want one really bad but im sticking to my principles on this one. will not buy until the value is right. Give it to me for $350 and i'll purchase that bitch immediately no questions asked. I refuse to pay MORE for something that is giving me LESS hardware wise (in reference to the PS4).

ironcreed

Banned
A price drop NEEDS to happen. Their strategy of offering a less capable product at a higher cost is what's killing them. Since they can't compete on technology, they can only compete on price, and to do that they have to offer it at under $400. Even at that price, with everything paywalled and microtransacted, it's a questionable value.

Yeah, it really can't come fast enough. But both systems require subs to play online, even though Gold puts everything else behind the paywall and it has not even come close to PS+ in game offerings. I still plan to buy one, but Microsoft has been left in the dust in terms of value for money on their system, as well as their subscription service. I would be making some serious and immediate adjustments were I calling the shots.

akira28

Is MS using polygon to float thought bubbles?

Not unheard of, but this isn't a flagpole salute situation. Everyone outside of MS has called the thing unnecessary, and they're the only ones who have tried to force the issue, because they sunk so much into the tech. But if no one makes games for it, and the fun factor can't be realized outside of a Kinectimals type kiddie game, then it's a waste and a sales burden.

They haven't demonstrated how the thing can be a game changer, even if they have big plans for it 3 years out. It's looking more and more like the NES R.o.b. I don't give a shit about talking to my tv when I can hit a button just as easily and have better control. I don't like game gestures when I can hit the select button and keep both my hands on the controller. Microsoft is trying to edge into new tech territory, and occupy the space, but their campaign is a gamble because of how they tried to sell it as a necessary component of their "games and media as a service" paradigm, when they should have realized with Kinect 1 that most of the market wasn't interested in it as anything more than a curiousity. And that's mostly Microsoft's fault because they haven't shown the thing to have any real value. It's an option, and by making it non-optional, they have shot themselves in the foot. Unfortunately Microsoft has no shame, and will never repent. But they might change the SKU.

which shows again why you should never day one a MS product...

leobebes

Banned
Well the PS3 and Xbox One have their different reasons for having rough starts.

The PS3 introduced an architecture and hardware design that created high initial difficulty curve for development on the system (Mark Cerny stated that time-to-triangle was around 6 months to a year compared to PS2 3-6 months)

The PS3 also had some problems with manufacturing which reduced the number of units available for the first year.

Also an arguable difference between the PS3 and Xbox One is that Sony's first party support/games provided a wide range of experiences that no other system had AFTER the first couple years after launch.

The Xbox One doesn't really have anything "in the chamber" that compares to how much resources Sony put into first party/exclusive titles.

Titanfall, Project Spark are not exclusive to XB1 and can be found on other matured platforms that won't require $500 upfront to play.

Peggle 2 will make it's way to other platforms...

Halo, Gears, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive are the only titles that can be found on the XB1 most of which have had very little details on at this point.

PS4 has The Order, Uncharted, Infamous, that Capcom F2P that I can't think of it's name atm, MLB the Show and Driveclub

Just because Halo is Halo, doesn't necessarily mean it should be downplayed to the point where it gets downgraded to also-ran or a game not worthy of AAA quality during random internet list wars. Their sales numbers and review scores are still the envy of every large dev, publisher and console company not named Microsoft. Despite some out there not satisfied with 343's efforts because Halo 4 'didn't live up to Bungie's expectations' it still was a solid-ass game and I applaud 343's effort.

Gears still outsold the Uncharted series last gen and reviewed just as well. Sure, their last outsourced effort wasn't up to par when it came to its predecessors, but it wasn't the fall of the series. Gears is still a valuable and profitable franchise, just as much, if not more than Infamous. The Order and Sunset Overdrive are on the same boat (no one knows how good they're gonna be). I think it's safe to say that Quantum Break is going to provide a unique, quality experience-considering it's developer's past success and pedigree. Again, you include Driveclub (which at this point is still an unknown) but omit the Forza franchise. MLB the Show is a wonderful franchise, but let's face it, it's baseball.

Whenever I see list wars, they're usually posted by Sony fans, and they're more than eager to list games that even haven't been released yet. And when they do get released, they sometimes end up being just 'okay' (Haze, David Cage, Killzone franchise) or in some cases, vaporware (The Last Guardian).

There's nothing wrong with list wars, but just be fair. Also, the Xbox One's exclusive lineup is just as varied than Sony's this time around. Only someone with inherent bias would think otherwise at this point, inmho.

Tawpgun

It's too late now.

A Kinectless Xbox One is bad in the long run. It needs to be thought of as a feature that all Xbones come with because then Devs can develop with it in mind.

A Xbox without a Kinect would just be a less powerful PS4

Just because Halo is Halo, doesn't necessarily mean it should be downplayed to the point where it gets downgraded to also-ran or a game not worthy of AAA quality during random internet list wars. Their sales numbers and review scores are still the envy of every large dev, publisher and console company not named Microsoft. Despite some out there not satisfied with 343's efforts because Halo 4 'didn't live up to Bungie's expectations' it still was a solid-ass game and I applaud 343's effort.

Gears still outsold the Uncharted series last gen and reviewed just as well. Sure, their last outsourced effort wasn't up to par when it came to its predecessors, but it wasn't the fall of the series. Gears is still a valuable and profitable franchise, just as much, if not more than Infamous. The Order and Sunset Overdrive are on the same boat (no one knows how good they're gonna be). I think it's safe to say that Quantum Break is going to provide a unique, quality experience-considering it's developer's past success and pedigree. Again, you include Driveclub (which at this point is still an unknown) but omit the Forza franchise. MLB the Show is a wonderful franchise, but let's face it, it's baseball.

Whenever I see list wars, they're usually posted by Sony fans, and they're more than eager to list games that even haven't been released yet. And when they do get released, they sometimes end up being just 'okay' (Haze, David Cage, Killzone franchise) or in some cases, vaporware (The Last Guardian).

There's nothing wrong with list wars, but just be fair. Also, the Xbox One's exclusive lineup is just as varied than Sony's this time around. Only someone with inherent bias would think otherwise at this point, inmho.

Both companies have their big selllers. GT is on par with Halo Uncharted/GOW on par with Gears.

I think this is already accurate given the launch.

People are not willing to pay more for Kinect. Maybe if it was at price parity with the PS4 then it could explode, but people won't pay for it. Just like they wouldn't pay for blu-ray on the PS3 or the GamePad on the Wii U.

I think all of the big 3 need to realize that these secondary experiences, non-functional to gaming, are only worthwhile to consumers if they don't have to pay for them.

I myself am enjoying Kinect and how it works with the interface. On day one it was one of the features that gave me that new christmas morning feeling of a new piece of hardware and it works. I still come back to the same conclusion, have these developers/journalist lost ALL imagination of how to use Kinect to add inmersion or better the experience? really? Why do they always fall into the gimmick or not category where they feel either a game has to have 100% Kinect functionality for it to be considered good or a gimmick. If not then it is no Kinect features at all. I feel like I am the only one sitting around here thinking of passive features to add to it.

Let me give you a comparison f how I think it could vaguely work. Movies nowadays use A LOT of CG, yet the movies that only use CG don;t look that great, don;t hold up that long and end up even looking bad when they are brand new. There are movies also that use almost no CG and focus sorely on physical effect/makeup, yet sometimes somethings end up looking bad and cheesy. The best movies IMO and the ones that can perfectly blend CG and Practical effect so that you don't know where one ends and the next one begins. It worked for the LOTR trilogy, It work for the old Star Wars films and it works for Guillermo del Toro's films and they end up looking great.

Same thing can be applied here. WE don;t need full on Kinect experience, yet we don't want no Kinect experiences at all. If they find a way for it to be unintrusive and add to the gameplay then it will rock. Passive Kinect features like KI or small meaningful commands like Ryse annd DR3 would work wonders for it.

Let me give an example. Imagina an RTS. You play with the controller normal yet let's say when you push LT button it either opens a menu or enables the kinect so that you do a quick wave or hand or slight snap of the wrist to move the camera. Press the LT again with another button or twice or leave it pressed and you can do another thing like draw a circle around the troops. I came up with this just now, so it may not work in practice like this, but this sort of features are the ones I expect from Kinect 2.0 to make it great.

TL;DR: Basically the Kinect is part of what makes the X1 interface GREAT and developers/journalist seem to lack or have lost ALL imagination of what to do with it. Add the WiiU to that lack of imagination

U-R

It's too late now.

A Kinectless Xbox One is bad in the long run. It needs to be thought of as a feature that all Xbones come with because then Devs can develop with it in mind.

But developers are already developing with kinect in mind, it was a fixed feature day1: the fact that they don't use it, even the exclusive launch titles, is simply an indication of their judgement of the tool.

Logash

I myself am enjoying Kinect and how it works with the interface. On day one it was one of the features that gave me that new christmas morning feeling of a new piece of hardware and it works. I still come back to the same conclusion, have these developers/journalist lost ALL imagination of how to use Kinect to add inmersion or better the experience? really? Why do they always fall into the gimmick or not category where they feel either a game has to have 100% Kinect functionality for it to be considered good or a gimmick. If not then it is no Kinect features at all. I feel like I am the only one sitting around here thinking of passive features to add to it.

Let me give you a comparison f how I think it could vaguely work. Movies nowadays use A LOT of CG, yet the movies that only use CG don;t look that great, don;t hold up that long and end up even looking bad when they are brand new. There are movies also that use almost no CG and focus sorely on physical effect/makeup, yet sometimes somethings end up looking bad and cheesy. The best movies IMO and the ones that can perfectly blend CG and Practical effect so that you don't know where one ends and the next one begins. It worked for the LOTR trilogy, It work for the old Star Wars films and it works for Guillermo del Toro's films and they end up looking great.

Same thing can be applied here. WE don;t need full on Kinect experience, yet we don't want no Kinect experiences at all. If they find a way for it to be unintrusive and add to the gameplay then it will rock. Passive Kinect features like KI or small meaningful commands like Ryse annd DR3 would work wonders for it.

LEt me give an example. Imagina an RTS. You play with the controller normal yet let's say when you push LT button it either opens a menu or enables the kinect so that you do a quick wave or hand or slight snap of the wrist to move the camera. Press the LT again with another button or twice or leave it pressed and you can do another thing like draw a circle around the troops. I came up with this just now, so it may not work in practice like this, but this sort of features are the ones I expect from Kinect 2.0 to make it great.

I think that the problem is that games cost so much to make that they pretty much all have to be multiplatform. Devs don't have time to think of ways they could balance kinect and normal gameplay in a meaningful way since they have to focus on an overall vision for all three versions of a game (PC, PS4, XBO)

Tawpgun

But developers are already developing with kinect in mind, it was a fixed feature day1: the fact that they don't use it, even the exclusive launch titles, is simply an indication of their judgement of the tool.

I think they need to give it time.

Battlefield uses it for headtracking. Dunno what other games do with it other than voice chat.

We knew all this before Xbox One released, games weren't just going to magically come out a month or two after that make Kinect worthwhile, the whole " well you gotta wait and see, potential!" argument can't fail after 2 months if it didn't fail before those two months. If you wanted to defend Kinect, ride that hope out a year.

Your right, this is a similar discussion that was had most of last year since E3. Of course then, the defense was often "people will buy it anyway." If Titanfall and Kinect Sports fail to significantly change the sales momentum (relative to PS4 mind you - doing better than Wii and Vita is not a measure of "success" in any reasonable way), MS has to do something about the price.

I think most Kinect supporters would agree with at least that much. Where we differ in opinion is that I believe that MS is no longer willing to sell hardware at a loss, so that unbundling Kinect is the only logical solution.

Kinect is a bid for the mainstream while it's being sold at a price only the core gamers will consider.

The Xbox One is the equivalent of a Wii being sold at 500$ without Wii Sports.

This is a spot on analogy. Imagine the Wii launch if it cost more than a 360, and the flagship motion game was the GCN port of Zelda. And Nintendo's rationale for the price hike was using the Wiimote to mess around with the UI. Actually, that sounds scarily like the Wii U.

Just my 2¢. Microsoft has been forcing technology on me for their benefit and placing the cost on me. From Kinect on the X1 to Metro on Win 8 it's the same story. I don't like being treated that way. I want choice.

I can't use Kinect with my projector based rig. It's inclusion at any price would feel like I am being asked to pay a premium for something I can't use. Taking it out of the box and making the UI work better without it would bring me way closer to buying one than I am today.

I like the Kinect but Microsoft is not going to let it go. It's more than just something to enhance games but push their vision of hands free.

However it's kind of awful to know they sacrificed something so simple for something more complicated. Controlling your box with your voice shouldn't be first but second. Making a games consoles that has media functionality should have been first. Software can be manipulated to be easy without voice control... I feel like having voice controls makes it lazy.

I'm planning on buying an XBO this afternoon.

Does the Kinect even need to be connected right from the get go to do anything or does it need to be connected for initial setup and then you can disconnect it?

I don't care either way. It'd just be nice to have one less thing hanging around.

I think that the problem is that games cost so much to make that they pretty much all have to be multiplatform. Devs don't have time to think of ways they could balance kinect and normal gameplay in a meaningful way since they have to focus on an overall vision for all three versions of a game (PC, PS4, XBO)

I totally get this, but it is still an excuse for lack of innovation. I feel they are basically saying: " We are too busy trying to chase the quick buck and yearly franchise to stop a make something innovative"

We already have great established series, everything else seem to be a rehash and a sequel and every now and then some innovative or fresh franchise comes along that they need to copy and burn to the ground. The rest, the real innovation is happening in the Indie scene trending now or why else do you think those game hit it that big, not all because style it all comes down to old school fun gamepay and innovative gameplay. Why not leave some for the AAA?

I'm planning on buying an XBO this afternoon.

Does the Kinect even need to be connected right from the get go to do anything or does it need to be connected for initial setup and then you can disconnect it?

I don't care either way. It'd just be nice to have one less thing hanging around.

I have never connected my Kinect to the console, not once. It basically punishes you by making you press two buttons every time you turn the console on to log in, instead of doing it automatically via Kinect. The only visual detriment is the "Kinect is unplugged" icon in the top right, forever, until they are kind enough to patch it out.

Also, I can't do stuff like say "Xbox Record That" which would record my game footage for me. On PS4, it's one button press to activate that function. On Xbox One, they hide it in menus or you have it accessible via Kinect to add to the value of Kinect as a navigation tool.

b0bbyJ03

It's too late now.

i really don't get this line of thinking... all competing product tend to be very similar. if you look at console history, as a matter of fact, all consoles competed without any differentiating factors other than their games. NES and SEGA master system were the same, as were super nintendo and genesis, all the way up until xbox360 and ps3. The wii was the first to decide that it needed to be different and that was out of Nintendo's intention to not directly compete. Usually the weaker console can complete on the basis that it cost less to make and therefore sells for less. it worked for 360 last gen and it can work again. its all about price and games and MS is failing at both for the time being. The 3DS vs the Vita is another example of this.

I have never connected my Kinect to the console, not once. It basically punishes you by making you press two buttons every time you turn the console on to log in, instead of doing it automatically via Kinect. The only visual detriment is the "Kinect is unplugged" icon in the top right, forever, until they are kind enough to patch it out.

Also, I can't do stuff like say "Xbox Record That" which would record my game footage for me. On PS4, it's one button press to activate that function. On Xbox One, they hide it in menus or you have it accessible via Kinect to add to the value of Kinect as a navigation tool.

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

One question though, why is that when MS tries to "shoove" a new feature or hardware that could add fun/innovation to gaming it is almost universally seen as bad, as lack of choice etc etc yet when a new smartphone with a new, USELESS, feature/add-on comes along we eat it up? So much so that we buy the same phone part 2 next year just for adding a screen that is a bit better, another new feature, another new peripheral.

I truly hop Kinect is here to stay, not to add to gimmick or crappy gaming but to add innovation to lacking industry. It truly seems that CoD and the such ruined gaming :/

Yoda

I agree with the author that the Kinect should be a separate peripheral (though I would still buy it if I ever get around to buying a next-gen console), but I think what he fails to mention, and that this board fails to focus on is that MS isn't really competing with Sony, they're competing with Apple and Google. Microsoft's vision of the Xbox One is currently a failure not because it's weaker than the PS4, but because the voice and gesture controls currently seem to work only well enough to satisfy techies and early-adopters. You can be sure that when Apple releases their new box, it will use natural language processing for voice commands, not this rigid "Xbox, go to..." that MS is currently using.

This is false, it is a game's console first, and a home entertainment device second. Apple/Google doesn't have a device which is anywhere similar to Xbox One, Sony does. The battle for the future of the living room is just marketing bullshit.

If Microsoft wants to reverse their fortunes a $150.00 dollar price cut + axing the kinect is the only way that is going to happen. The time to fix their situation in non-U.S. territories is running out very fast. The U.S. market might hold out longer, but the U.S. market alone when tied (at best) with Sony would be a failure for them.

I have never connected my Kinect to the console, not once. It basically punishes you by making you press two buttons every time you turn the console on to log in, instead of doing it automatically via Kinect. ...

Come on man.... REALLY! Is that punishment enough?

I'm sorry, but you are just lazy or trying really really hard to bash the peripheral without giving it a chance. Not even in 2014 is two extra button push punishment.

Also It is so ironic how you complain about punishment for pressing a single button once more, yet you submit yourself to about 5 or 6 more button presses for not using the Kinect to get the One to do something you can as easily do by just saying "Xbox Record That".

Sorry invalid argument dude, think about it, it's dumb. You seem overbiased.

One question though, why is that when MS tries to "shoove" a new feature or hardware that could add fun/innovation to gaming it is almost universally seen as bad, as lack of choice etc etc yet when a new smartphone with a new, USELESS, feature/add-on comes along we eat it up? So much so that we buy the same phone part 2 next year just for adding a screen that is a bit better, another new feature, another new peripheral.

I truly hop Kinect is here to stay, not to add to gimmick or crappy gaming but to add innovation to lacking industry. It truly seems that CoD and the such ruined gaming :/

Uh how about because that additional gimmicky feature didn't add a 20% price hike to the product? You know like the kinect did? If bluetooth cost $100 of the phone and I knew it cost $100 of the phone you can damn well assume a lot of consumers would be bitching that there should be a bluetoothless iphone for those who don't value it.

But instead it adds cents to the BOM of the phone

I'm sorry, but you are just lazy or trying really really hard to bash the peripheral without giving it a chance. Not even in 2014 is one extra button push punishment.

Also It is so ironic how you complain about punishment for pressing a single button once more, yet you submit yourself to about 5 or 6 more button presses for not using the Kinect to get the One to do something you can as easily do by just saying "Xbox Record That".

It is entirely ridiculous that the only way to have automatic login on the XB1 is via kinect.

Seriously all you have to do is add a simple system command that allows users to select a specific account to login on startup. That's it. The 360, PS3, and PS4 has it. Why can't the XB1 have it too?

Kerned

Banned

COD has ruined gaming! Kinectimals shall be its savior!

Seriously though, if there is some amazing, revolutionary and innovative use for the Kinect in an actual game, Microsoft might want to stop keeping it to themselves.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is the OS easily navigatable at this point or still a convoluted mess?

Even if not, they could just stick a microphone on the front of the X1 in the future to sell it without Kinect and then keep all the voice command stuff.

I'm sorry, but you are just lazy or trying really really hard to bash the peripheral without giving it a chance. Not even in 2014 is two extra button push punishment.

Firstly, overbiased isn't a word. Second, I bought an Xbox One with my hard earned money, and have therefore earned the right to voice an opinion on the product that I purchased. I don't see the value of the peripheral. If hearing someone saying that incites that kind of response from you, then you need to deal with those emotions on your own time. Don't attack me for doing what many reasonable people have done with their Xbox One -- not use the Kinect.

The levels of menus you are forced to navigate on Xbox One that Kinect saves you from doing are services that are immediately achievable on the PS4 with one button. Many people, including the console reviewers from various publications, have cited that it appears as though the non-Kinect method has been made complicated for the sole purpose of forcing the use of Kinect. This is a software issue that can be easily addressed, yelling that someone is biased because they would prefer an easier method for accessing services without Kinect does more to demonstrate your bias than anything.

i dont get the point about needing memorize "oddly specific syntax."

XBOX ON
XBOX SNAP...
XBOX GO TO...
XBOX OFF

getting them to work is another matter entirely, as i understand some people seem to have difficulty doing so. ive personally had no such problems, but whatever.

idk. im excited about Kinect Sports Rivals and Xbox Fitness has been getting a lot of use from me. just keep the thing and announce a price drop. if youre at the point where youre paying ~400 for the console plus kinect and you still hate it that much then just dont use it. keep it in the box or whatever.

The one command I can't get over how awesome and easy it makes things, is....

XBOX USE A CODE! sooo good.

Ntsouls

Banned
Well. For me. I like the exclusives. But I want the classics too.
THey should have mixed stuff with stuff.
Fable HD collection....plus titanfall.
Jet Force Gemini...with d3 or w/e
Crackdown...with w/e else.

J-Rzez

I'd buy Kinect-less XB1 at $399. I hope MS realizes the bulk of early adopters do not want Kinect.

I wouldn't. I wouldn't pay for a console that's still less powerful, and a bit of their "exclusives" can be had on PC. They'd need a good selection of true exclusives, and a price at $299.99 to get me to entertain the thought of buying one. And that stuff isn't happening any time soon.

Uh how about because that additional gimmicky feature didn't add a 20% price hike to the product? You know like the kinect did? If bluetooth cost $100 of the phone and I knew it cost $100 of the phone you can damn well assume a lot of consumers would be bitching that there should be a bluetoothless iphone for those who don't value it.

But instead it adds cents to the BOM of the phone

I kind of get that, but that phone is still $500-700 without a 2 year contract that basically means it's almost double that. XBL/PS+ is just ~$50 for a full year of service, so there are differences. But there are a LOT of stupid features we eat up and not complain, features that sometimes seem like the only thing added to that years revision still most buy it. I am saying most because I don't do that and many don't do that, yet many of those people complain about paying $100 more for an 5 year minumum investment.

Still why is it acceptable there, but here in gaming we basically rage over it, don;t even try it and write it off, like you did, as a gimmick. I am not saying this will be the most revolutionary peripheral yet, but even at one point the joystick on the N64 controller was a gimmick that most games passed over at the beginning, it later revolutionized gaming. Sure sure MS is never going to be Nintendo, but at least give the chance.

I have the X1 and love Kinect. It is no gimmick to me, it is a legit way to work the UI and improve it. Setting up the X1 and getting to use it was part of the most fun thing i did with the console and the thing that mostly screamed to me " wow this feels new!". I love my PS4, but it still feels like PC/2 or PS3.9

It is entirely ridiculous that the only way to have automatic login on the XB1 is via kinect.

Seriously all you have to do is add a simple system command that allows users to select a specific account to login on startup. That's it. The 360, PS3, and PS4 has it. Why can't the XB1 have it too?

It is not the only way, only that the "manual" way take too long or is in another alternate way. You are complaining that Kinect, without you having to press anything at all, recognizes you and log you in. It is similar to what you ask, which I see no problem in having or adding later( and it WILL be added), but it is better. He is how my day goes: I come home from work, go into my apt, Xbox On, do stuff, stand in front, logs in, do stuff, Xbox do..., do stuff, xbox ... All this before even sitting down and turning on the controller. Are you really trying to tell this is horrible or way worse sitting down and waiting for it. Sure it saves me minutes, maybe just seconds, but It feels great, it feels new, it feels like the future to me. I just can;t see why you and other see it as bad and then only offer wha tI see as dumb arguments against it. One extra button press, give the choice to make it more cumbersome.

E92 M3

I've had the Xbone since launch and opened it up to play Titanfall. In general, the Kinect is pretty cool for the voice commands. I love saying Xbox On and having everything turn and sign me in automatically. That is cool The Kinect still makes me feel uneasy with all of the NSA shit that's been happening, but it's in a room where nothing besides gaming happens lol.

Imagine guys if they held their ground and didn't change the DRM and Kinect requirements? Would have been brutal. My hopes lay in the fact MS are changing things back towards how they used to be in the 360 (why remove it initially still boggles my mind). The UI as it stands now is very annoying. The fact that everything needs to be app makes it feel so disjointed and amateurish. The 360 had it great. Also, the Xbox store has a very convoluted design. It's obvious the UI was built around Kinect and voice commands and they need to move away from that.

Fortunately, MS are good at software and we can hope to see some major design changes. If they also remove the Kinect, write up a press release about the gamers are most important to them, and lower the price then we can have a real competition on our hands.

Top Bottom