• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo Switch will launch with fewer games than the Wii, Wii U or 3DS

RootCause

Really thought we were getting a Mario game at launch. That was a bit of a shock at the press event. :/

Still excited for the launch, and BOTW.

Xellos

Launch though June looks OK to me. It's past Splatoon where the announced games start to thin out. Hopefully Nintendo held back some big announcements for E3.

MLH

It is quite astounding and disappointing how barren Switch's lineup appears. We've thought for a while Nintendo's internal teams have been moving over to switch - explaining the non-existent WiiU lineup this past year and the lighter, cheaper experiences on 3DS.
Miyamoto mentioned Pikmin 4 was almost complete in E3 2015! yet no sight nor sound of this game for switch... Retro's last project was Donkey Kong TF in 2014 yet not even a teaser for their next game (afaik they've not even been credited in other titles since then, so I don't know what they've been doing?)
There are reliable rumors around for more games; pokemon, monster hunter & Smash ports for this year but they must be holding back? This was Nintendo's big sales pitch for Switch; people have decided to buy or hold based on what was shown and it was bad IMO - they shouldn't have held back.

Mory Dunz

Really thought we were getting a Mario game at launch. That was a bit of a shock at the press event. :/

Still excited for the launch, and BOTW.

Something like MK8 Deluxe or Mario Sports Superstar (should be ported regardless) should at be Switch's launch. Bad decision making/planning.

We need to stop believing in leakers.

BGE Odyssey, turns out its the name for Mario.
Xenoblade? Turns out its XBC2?
Maybe the sources were half right and we ain't getting a lot of ports and thats just simply it. Sad!

I feel like they are releasing this console because of Zelda. Almost no Wii u games last year and then this launch line up/rest of the year. Embarrassing.

HotHamBoy

So much defense.

They learned nothing from the Wii U and 3DS launches. Why do they need to launch this in March? It isn't ready on a lot of levels.

Zelda is also on Wii U.

13 million people have bought a Wii U. That's potentially 13 million people who have no reason to buy a Switch until the Fall.

G0523

It'll launch with more games than the Nintendo 64 and GameCube (I think?) did. Plus quantity does not always equal quality.

TheMoon

Their website has a bunch of titles w/ seasonal dates already, what's on the site from Launch to Mario is pretty much this:

Launch:
- 1,2 Switch
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Super Bomberman R
- SkyLanders Imaginators
- Just Dance 2017

March 2017
- Has Been Heroes
- Just Dance 2017
- Snipperclips
- I Am Setsuna
- Fast RMX

April 28, 2017
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

April 30, 2017
- Lego City UnderCover

May 31, 2017
- Sonic Mania

Spring 2017
- Arms
- Rime
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Disgaea 5
- Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth

Summer 2017
- Splatoon 2

September 2017
- NBA 2K18

Fall 2017
- Skyrim

Holidays 2017
- Super Mario Odyssey

+Redout in Spring

+FIFA, Ultimate SFII, Xenoblade 2 (if you think it gets delayed does not matter here), Sonic 2017, Dragon Ball this year

The heavy hitter release pacing is on point. Everybody said they should've had MK8 in year 1 of Wii U. Well now they do. Splatoon 2 is a huge deal. Summer. Mario for the Holidays seals that deal. Xenoblade 2 making it or not is a wild card. ARMS looks legit, that's a new IP inbetween all of this. The eShop still exists, too.

Oh hey and what's this! E3 is in a few months. Where they tend to announce new video games. :)

Look, if you don't care about any of the games then you don't buy the system. That's all there is to it. I don't get why so many people are losing their shit or have to pull up their armchair for some expert business analyses. But hey, we love our doom I guess.

Then announce the games. Prove to us that combining the console and handheld teams will result in a steady stream of new AND established IPs.

They have. Or do you seriously expect them to announce two years worth of first party output at console reveal?

HeroR

This article ignores that the Wii and Wii U launched near the holidays and most of the games were cross-platform yearly release holiday games and games that were released during the early fall.

It is quite astounding and disappointing how barren Switch's lineup appears. We've thought for a while Nintendo's internal teams have been moving over to switch - explaining the non-existent WiiU lineup this past year and the lighter, cheaper experiences on 3DS.
Miyamoto mentioned Pikmin 4 was almost complete in E3 2015! yet no sight nor sound of this game for switch... Retro's last project was Donkey Kong TF in 2014 yet not even a teaser for their next game (afaik they've not even been credited in other titles since then, so I don't know what they've been doing?)
There are reliable rumors around for more games; pokemon, monster hunter & Smash ports for this year but they must be holding back? This was Nintendo's big sales pitch for Switch; people have decided to buy or hold based on what was shown and it was bad IMO - they shouldn't have held back.

Absolutely. Announcing a Pokémon Sun and Moon port while there is still some Pokémon buzz left from mobile would have been smart. Nintendo will be overshadowed at E3 no matter what. They need their own event before hand and try to save this. They botched their start. People need a sense that there is tons more games than this.

theWB27

Skyrim is the enhanced version from what we have seen...and Fifa being based on the PS360 version isnt confirmed either.

If the only think you have going is that the game is out on launch - you probably dont wanna launch on a expensive Nintendo system. This didnt work on Wii and i doubt it would work on Switch. It would be different if this was a 200 dollar system.

Trust me - thats not the way things should be but thats reality. I was the same during the WiiU launch - but at the end i ended up buying a WiiU and NSMBU and that was it. By the time i was ready for 3rdParty content the games already bombed/dropped in price so additional sales didnt mean much.

The same would happen on Switch - Zelda will dominate and the people picking up one at launch wont have the budget for additional meaty core gamer titles. Even if it sounds like a bad excuse - thats how it is.

People might hate it - but honestly i feel with the Switch Nintendo is being for the first time in a while real about what the system is about and what it offers. The people getting one at launch are Nintendo handheld fans, hardcore Nintendo and Zelda fans. Nobody ist getting a Switch during that period to have access to games that have superiors version on every other system.

Doesnt really matter - Minecraft still outsells most new releases (looks athe WiiU release), same for Skyrim remastered. Those are evergreen titles - release period is less important than the actual quality of the adaptations.

Completly agree - its not what people wanna hear (especially on a core gamer forum like GAF). They know exactly who they are targeting at launch and the release schedule mirrors that.

People forget that the Switch is still somewhat a WiiU successor - unproven not cheap system + low install base + launching next to Zelda = success ? I dont think so.

If the Switch takes off and word of mouth during the summer is positive thanks to Zelda/Mario Kart/Arms/Splatoon etc. i can see solid versions of 3rdParty games performing well. Especially if Nintendo offers bundles for bigger titles.

But you can't spin not having enough to choose from with your new system as a positive. It's a negative. Lack of games will always be a negative.

I don't care who they're targeting. Give them something to play. Especially when your big launch title can be bought on your previous console.

It'll launch with more games than the Nintendo 64 and GameCube (I think?) did. Plus quantity does not always equal quality.

Lack of quantity doesn't equal quality.

JJH

If you really think thats all Nintendo has planned for this year then...lol.

Well that picture came directly from the horses mouth. If Nintendo has more games for the Switch this year then surely they would've announced them? Nintendo can't afford to stumble around for the second time with lackluster software on a new platform.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
So I just realized that Puyo Puyo and Sonic aren't actually launch titles... yeah, this launch is truly terrible.

AniHawk

So much defense.

They learned nothing from the Wii U and 3DS launches. Why do they need to launch this in March? It isn't ready on a lot of levels.

Zelda is also on Wii U.

13 million people have bought a Wii U. That's potentially 13 million people who have no reason to buy a Switch until the Fall.

i am running with the theory that most wii u owners will upgrade since the wii u is a sort of nintendo fan luxury item and not something in the mainstream like the 3ds.

while the launch is weak and obviously relying heavily on zelda, the first ten months look stronger than the 3ds or wii u.

bomblord1

Banned
Besides Zelda, is there anything on it at launch that can't be bought on other systems that are truly system sellers, tho? I mean I love Bomberman, but are the masses really gonna be coming in flocks to play it?

Well I mean it's Zelda vs...?

Steel Diver and ZombiU?

-MB-

LOL yeah that's the solution...yikes. That's fine but expect wii-u level sales.,

WiiU sold out at launch though, it was the drought right after that killed momentum, and Switch does not have that problem because there are several heavyhitters lined up in the months afterwards.

JJH

Super Bomberman R and 1-2 Switch fit that bill.

q2A9LHd.gif

Kawngi

I don't understand why the console needs to come out in March. Zelda is ready to go, but it seems they should've held back the release until there was more there.

AniHawk

Well I mean it's Zelda vs...?

Steel Diver and ZombiU?

that is basically it. the switch launch only has one game worth a damn, but it is a fucking spectacle which is something that was severely lacking on nintendo's two most recent platform launches, and ds.

actually, the ds is probably what this ssystem reminds me of the most. getting good vibes out of it, but i am expecting a slow burn and that a lower priced revision will make the difference.

Baleoce

Interview with Reggie from a year before the launch of their next system: "We've learned from Switches mistakes. There won't be a lack of software at launch this time around."

ryseing

I'm baffled that Curve/Devolver/others of that ilk haven't jumped in with some quick ports. There's money to be made for smaller pubs if they time their releases correctly.

Hell, something like The Witness would seemingly be a good fit, and for a console heavily focused on local MP the omission of Rocket League is absurd.

HotHamBoy

that is basically it. the switch launch only has one game worth a damn, but it is a fucking spectacle which is something that was severely lacking on nintendo's two most recent platform launches, and ds.

But again, if you are one of the 13 million people who bought a Wii U.... why would you buy a Switch at launch?

Kacho

Nintendo doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore. Their launch lineup is a joke even if Zelda is there. Obviously there's good stuff coming and more will get announced this year but I can't be bothered to try and justify their sparse lineup of games.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'm baffled that Curve/Devolver/others of that ilk haven't jumped in with some quick ports. There's money to be made for smaller pubs if they time their releases correctly.

Hell, something like The Witness would seemingly be a good fit.
Did they receive dev kits on time?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
But you can't spin not having enough to choose from with your new system as a positive. It's a negative. Lack of games will always be a negative.

I don't care who they're targeting. Give them something to play. Especially when your big launch title can be bought on your previous console.

Its not about spinning - thats just the market reality.
The people who want to play more arent the people getting a Switch at launch and Nintendo/Thirds seem to be fine with that.

Well that picture came directly from the horses mouth. If Nintendo has more games for the Switch this year then surely they would've announced them? Nintendo can't afford to stumble around for the second time with lackluster software on a new platform.

The picture shows off the titles that they have announced at this point - January 2017.
If you think that they wont have additional Switch announcement for this year at e3 - thats your Right to believe.

I agree that they cant afford to stumble on Switch - lets see how it works out for them. GAF went mad when Nintendo said they only would have Zelda at e3 - it somehow worked out for them. The same will happen on the Switch launch - this launch is for people who wanna play Zelda and/or are hardcore Nintendo fans.

AniHawk

But again, if you are one of the 13 million people who bought a Wii U.... why would you buy a Switch at launch?

because the wii u is dead and there will be more nintendo games on the switch, so why not get that instead and a better zelda too.

its not like the wii u is a system with a ton of hidden gems.

TheMoon

You're new to video games, right? :D This is normal. We even go through this every regular year.

I don't understand why the console needs to come out in March. Zelda is ready to go, but it seems they should've held back the release until there was more there.

Only because they set that goal last year it seems. I was under the impression that they were more than ready for htis launch and only delayed to get a great launch ready. It seems it was the complete opposite and it's closer to a 3DS situation.

The people who want to play more arent the people getting a Switch at launch and Nintendo/Thirds seem to be fine with that.

I don't really get how you can say 3rd parties are fine with that.

Gabe3208

Banned
Zelda is all that's needed. Compared to what I experienced with the PS4 launch lineup, I'll EASILY take BotW over AC4/COD:Ghosts/Battlefield4/Knack/Resogun all together.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The picture shows off the titles that they have announced at this point - January 2017.
If you think that they wont have additional Switch announcement for this year at e3 - thats you Right to believe.
Why dedicate time in their conference to SEGA and Suda that had nothing to say and not at least mention some of these other games? Or even just say more will be announced during the year.

TheMoon

Must not have kits yet. Devolver were asking on twitter earlier today what games of theirs people want on Switch so stuff is coming.

diaspora

This is a pretty bad lineup for anyone who will just have a Switch. Given that I'll also be playing Mass Effect and Torment on PC, I'll probably be OK.

McBryBry

I don't see the issue. There are great looking games in the near future. Why does everyone need everything to release all at once? I'd rather space them out then have Zelda, Mario, Kart, Xenoblade and whatever else on day 1.

HotHamBoy

I don't see the issue. There are great looking games in the near future. Why does everyone need everything to release all at once? I'd rather space them out then have Zelda, Mario, Kart, Xenoblade and whatever else on day 1.

People like choice, taste is subjective. If it is to win the mainstream it needs a more diverse launch window.

Zelda isn't enough. It's a great launch title, but switch needed a strong online/co-OP games to compliment it. Mario Kart should have launched with the switch. Third-party titles like Stardew and other indies should have been out for day one.

Hell, I would have taken a special edition mario 3D world again with additional content for $40. Imo, Nintendo shouldn't launch a console without 2 or their main franchises no matter what they are.

Top Bottom