• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Wrong, thats the exact audience who will go out and buy the console

More likely that's the exact audience who will stick to to their PS4/X1(slim), where the said games will still be perfectly playable.

It's not like the PS4/X1 will magically become the 2013's 360/PS3 after the Scorpio's release.

i didnt know they were doing forwards compatabilty, thought it was just backwards. Good to know!

Even forward, how are they gonna handle this? As it is now, games are developed for the lowest common denominator and "upgraded" to better HW when needed. Games will still be designed with xbox ones limitations in mind. So whether its scorpio or Neo, we're still going to get games that have to work on the old hardware and that will cause parity problems.

I dont see them really taking real advantage of this new HW other than for maybe VR.

I know backwards and forward compatible is a good marketing idea but in reality i find its more problematic than just having a fresh start.

Even forward, how are they gonna handle this? As it is now, games are developed for the lowest common denominator and "upgraded" to better HW when needed. Games will still be designed with xbox ones limitations in mind. So whether its scorpio or Neo, we're still going to get games that have to work on the old hardware and that will cause parity problems.

I dont see them really taking real advantage of this new HW other than for maybe VR.

You will see Resolution bump, better effects etc.. its not just for VR. Hell i think VR wont do that well anyway in the next years

wapplew

Those are the best selling titles. It's like every generation. First early adopters and enthusiasts buy up the volume for the first 3-4 months. Then gen pop stars to get word of mouth and commercials do their thing. If the press is good and the word of mouth is good then you start pulling more and more in. Will your console resonate with pop culture? Athletes. Celebrities. Conan O'Brien. Twitch. YouTube. Will the kids be talking about it at recess? That's how you sell. First thing first though. YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR CORE GAMER. Build a beast and support it well.

Not when they could play same games on much cheaper hardware.
Without exclusive, those premium hardware, Scorpio or Neo will only make up for 15-20% overall install base.

Perhaps it'll be called Xbox 11. Aka the Xbox One-One. :p We could be seeing a Windows 11 style Windows update by then also, so that's something to keep in mind I suppose lol.

lol i dont think they will ever give out numbers but RT took 1 Billion $ write off. So ya it was a bif fail. But Surface Pro 1-2 were successful, no idea what the poster is trying to say

I have no idea. But it seems self-evident that the Atom version of Surface 3 was a total flop and the Pro version dominated sales with low shipments. And you can spin that flop and say MS's best bet is to offer products that follow the x86/open idea because of the Surface Pro. But I don't buy it because a number of products have seen massive success or are competitive without compatibility. Additionally, a post mentioned the iPad Pro shipments (a flop by Apple's standards) where two products few people want were trading blows that quarter. I think closed and controlled is the way to go for MS if that's the plan for Xbox.

Zedox

Seems pretty obvious to me. That RT and Surface 2 (not the Surface Pro 1 & 2) failed because they could only access WinRT software, rather than all x86 programs. The Pro 1 and 2 being comparatively successful is kinda the point. The Surface 3 (non-Pro) on the other hand can run all Windows software, and performed far better.

I don't agree with the comparison itself though, as the Windows Store was completely bare of compelling software, which the Xbox console isn't, and so throwing that near-guaranteed revenue (plus XBL subs) away in favor of selling generic hardware, where Valve will eat your lunch, doesn't seem like a very sensible idea. They're not in this to sell PCs.

The Windows Store on the XBO is going to be additive where as the Surface RT didn't add anything great to a normal PC user. With the Xbox One getting the Windows Store...going forward, it will basically be a Windows 10 PC with a different shell and input method.

I agree, they aren't in the business of selling PCs outside of having premium hardware that influences the markets and OEMs (which is was Surface was made for). The Xbox isn't for that. The Xbox is basically Windows Media PCs. It took them forever to get there but that's what it seems it is.

The Windows Store is going to have a lot of good games on it, in the form of Xbox games, making it more enticing to developers to make software for the store. That's the most interesting part to me. MS is literally having the Xbox be the spark for the Windows Store and to get developers back to making software on their platform that's not Win32 based. Developers know that video game consoles are at a lot of televisions and that's the only "smart device" that's been consistently in the living room. While Roku, chromecasts, etc... devices have gotten popular, video game consoles really rule the television (in terms of popularity). So I'm sure MS (and Sony) know that they really want to dominate the untapped market that really hasn't been revolutionized yet. That's why the Kinect was there in the first place...but MS didn't have their software aligned yet. That's probably why the UWP interests me.

Xbox Scorpio = Xbox 4.

Synth

I know backwards and forward compatible is a good marketing idea but in reality i find its more problematic than just having a fresh start.

At least a certain period of forwards compatibility should be assumed really. As you say, games are created for the lowest common denominator, and that will apply beyond the Xbox ecosystem. Multiplatform games with still need to run on a stock PS4, which would also imply that it'll run on a stock XB1. The move away from this base level would likely not occur until the PS5 represents a clean(er) break from the current gen, at which point either the Scorpio becomes the new base, the PS5 does, or whatever console MS puts out after it. We're not likely to be seeing notable amounts of Scorpio exclusive software, as that would also rule out anything else that's not a PC.

Bsigg12

UHD bluray drives are expensive. standalone players are $400

Because they have to have hardware to support the playback, something even the PS4 and Xbox One already have going pretty much. The new consoles coming will absolutely have UHD compatibility. Just don't get Jeff_Rigby going on how the PS4 and Xbox One should already be capable of supporting the standard.

icespide

Banned
Because they have to have hardware to support the playback, something even the PS4 and Xbox One already have going pretty much. The new consoles coming will absolutely have UHD compatibility.

Scorpio and Neo yeah but Xbox one slim I don't think so. that was my original post

Bsigg12

Scorpio and Neo yeah but Xbox one slim I don't think so. that was my original post

And I'm saying the slim will have that content playback capability. It's not like we'll be playing games at 4K, it'll be strictly just UHD streaming and Blu-ray videos with it essentially being Microsoft's push to be the most affordable UHD playback device on the market.

icespide

Banned
And I'm saying the slim will have that content playback capability. It's not like we'll be playing games at 4K, it'll be strictly just UHD streaming and Blu-ray videos with it essentially being Microsoft's push to be the most affordable UHD playback device on the market.
I really doubt it but we'll see

Because they have to have hardware to support the playback, something even the PS4 and Xbox One already have going pretty much. The new consoles coming will absolutely have UHD compatibility. Just don't get Jeff_Rigby going on how the PS4 and Xbox One should already be capable of supporting the standard.

Oh no, he's been summoned!

AmyS

44 Compute Units at 1GHz
2816 Stream processors
5.6 TFlops
16 ACE
176 TMU
64 ROP
8GB GDDR5X at 900MHz
288GB/s

Add in the flops from Zen cores and you're pretty close to the high end of the internal target of 6TFlop. If it's just 4x Durango, then they can clock the GPU at 900MHz.

Good point. Zen should have some decent flops (for a CPU) given that it's a desktop class processor, not like AMD's Bobcat / Jaguar / Puma line

As for Polaris 10, I think it has 40 Compute Units if none are deactivated, so the ones that are not top-end will have 36 CUs. There's speculation that Neo / PS4K, because of its reported specs might be using Polaris 10, because there are no other AMD parts with exactly 36 CUs. However because Polaris is a newer GCN architecture, it might break compatibility with PS4's GPU which is GCN 1.0

I'm leaning toward Scorpio having something else than a Polaris 10 GPU. But if it is Polaris 10 / Ellesmere XT, you'd have 40 CUs, so then it would have to be really clocked high to get 6 TF.

anothertech

Would be awesome if they used a method other than numbers to name the systems though.

Xbox Scorpio sounds so bad ass.

If be down for
Xbox Aquarius
Xbox Leo
Xbox Pisces
Etc

Doubt it would happen though

They could also go alphanumeric
Xbox Alpha
Xbox Beta (lol)
Xbox Charlie
Xbox Delta
Etc

Would be awesome if they used a method other than numbers to name the systems though.

If be down for
Xbox Aquarius
Xbox Leo
Xbox Pisces
Etc

Xbox Alpha
Xbox Beta (lol)
Xbox Charlie
Xbox Delta
Etc

That's terrible.

Xbox Infinity (as in forever, no more gens)

Then you slap either a number or a year on it.

Xbox Infinity 2017 or XBOX Infinity 1
Xbox Infinity 2020 or XBOX Infinity 2

gamz

If be down for
Xbox Aquarius
Xbox Leo
Xbox Pisces
Etc

Xbox Alpha
Xbox Beta (lol)
Xbox Charlie
Xbox Delta
Etc

Never know. Cortana started out as a code name and people loved it so much it stuck.

c0de

UHD bluray drives are expensive. standalone players are $400

No, players cost that much, not the drives.
Also this is right now premium market and there is close to no competition on the market, not to mention that the mt8581 will cost some money as it is rather new.
That all adds to cost.
The hardware itself to decode the video is already there, you only need an appropriate drive and current 4k HDMI.

Linkified

Yeah. It's going to get quite confusing otherwise.

"So which Xbox do you have?"
"Err..."

Numbering seems like the logical thing to do now, but they have wisely avoided that so as to not be seen as "less than the PlayStation number". You can get away with it when the numbers are far different, but PS4 is way too close to 1 or 2 for that. No idea how they'll handle it, to be honest.

Alpha, beta, gamma, delta...?
Xbox One being "beta", obviously...

Half-Life 3, exclusive to Xbox Lambda.

Well there is iPad, iPad 2, etc. If Apple can release a tablet almost yearly and keep a numbering format. You call it Xbox Two, Xbox Two S, Xbox Three, etc. It also allows them to re-brand some of the poor messaging problems from Xbox One.

WadeitOut

No, players cost that much, not the drives.
Also this is right now premium market and there is close to no competition on the market, not to mention that the mt8581 will cost some money as it is rather new.
That all adds to cost.
The hardware itself to decode the video is already there, you only need an appropriate drive and current 4k HDMI.

Are standalone UHD drives even being manufactured yet?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The Windows Store on the XBO is going to be additive where as the Surface RT didn't add anything great to a normal PC user. With the Xbox One getting the Windows Store...going forward, it will basically be a Windows 10 PC with a different shell and input method.

I agree, they aren't in the business of selling PCs outside of having premium hardware that influences the markets and OEMs (which is was Surface was made for). The Xbox isn't for that. The Xbox is basically Windows Media PCs. It took them forever to get there but that's what it seems it is.

The Windows Store is going to have a lot of good games on it, in the form of Xbox games, making it more enticing to developers to make software for the store. That's the most interesting part to me. MS is literally having the Xbox be the spark for the Windows Store and to get developers back to making software on their platform that's not Win32 based. Developers know that video game consoles are at a lot of televisions and that's the only "smart device" that's been consistently in the living room. While Roku, chromecasts, etc... devices have gotten popular, video game consoles really rule the television (in terms of popularity). So I'm sure MS (and Sony) know that they really want to dominate the untapped market that really hasn't been revolutionized yet. That's why the Kinect was there in the first place...but MS didn't have their software aligned yet. That's probably why the UWP interests me.

Xbox Scorpio = Xbox 4.

I suspect they may call the Slim Xbox 4K (because of the player) to line up with PlayStation 4. Then Scorpio becomes 5 so they're on even ground numbering wise.

Otherwise they just start calling it Xbox.

c0de

Isn't there still just that one single Samsung player?

And I'm not seeing any standalone UHD players on sites like Newegg.

There is also the Panasonic DMP-UB900EGK. Also I heard that there are not that much differences in the tech itself so it should be fairly easy to get drives produced.

wachie

Good point. Zen should have some decent flops (for a CPU) given that it's a desktop class processor, not like AMD's Bobcat / Jaguar / Puma line

As for Polaris 10, I think it has 40 Compute Units if none are deactivated, so the ones that are not top-end will have 36 CUs. There's speculation that Neo / PS4K, because of its reported specs might be using Polaris 10, because there are no other AMD parts with exactly 36 CUs. However because Polaris is a newer GCN architecture, it might break compatibility with PS4's GPU which is GCN 1.0

I'm leaning toward Scorpio having something else than a Polaris 10 GPU. But if it is Polaris 10 / Ellesmere XT, you'd have 40 CUs, so then it would have to be really clocked high to get 6 TF.
Is there an existing 40CU GPU design in the AMD line-up? I would tend to think that a straight shrink of existing design (CU, ROP, TMU count) along with architectural improvements would be easier in terms of layout etc.

If P10 is really a 40CU design then 1GHz gets you about 5.2TFlops and adding Zen cores, it would be 5.5TFlops. That's over 4x the Xbox One target.

WadeitOut

Same way that lack of 360 controller support on the XB1 is a thing?

It's a slightly different scenario, that's why I'm putting it out there.

Completely different scenario though. Because this isn't a new generation of console just a higher specced Xbox One. And since it's running x86 I can't think of any driver reason why it wouldn't work at least wired.

krang

Completely different scenario though. Because this isn't a new generation of console just a higher specced Xbox One. And since it's running x86 I can't think of any driver reason why it wouldn't work at least wired.

I think it is closer to a new generation. Phil Spencer said as much when he said he didn't like ".5" releases.

Yeah. It's going to get quite confusing otherwise.

"So which Xbox do you have?"
"Err..."

Numbering seems like the logical thing to do now, but they have wisely avoided that so as to not be seen as "less than the PlayStation number". You can get away with it when the numbers are far different, but PS4 is way too close to 1 or 2 for that. No idea how they'll handle it, to be honest.

Alpha, beta, gamma, delta...?
Xbox One being "beta", obviously...

Half-Life 3, exclusive to Xbox Lambda.

It'll be OS dependent, like iOS.

You will see Resolution bump, better effects etc.. its not just for VR. Hell i think VR wont do that well anyway in the next years

At least a certain period of forwards compatibility should be assumed really. As you say, games are created for the lowest common denominator, and that will apply beyond the Xbox ecosystem. Multiplatform games with still need to run on a stock PS4, which would also imply that it'll run on a stock XB1. The move away from this base level would likely not occur until the PS5 represents a clean(er) break from the current gen, at which point either the Scorpio becomes the new base, the PS5 does, or whatever console MS puts out after it. We're not likely to be seeing notable amounts of Scorpio exclusive software, as that would also rule out anything else that's not a PC.

Yeah well that kinda sucks if you ask me. I mean lets take halo6, the game will still probably have (for the most part) the same limitations that the xbox one version will have. Only it will have a higher rez, better FPS, maybe some extra stuff like split-screen, but the gameplay itself will have to be the base xbox one version gameplay since co-op between both consoles will have to work. Or will it?

Personally i find that disappointing even though i would still appreciate being able to play with xbox one people. I guess i want my cake and eat it too.

oldergamer

sorry can't reveal myself any further. Already have weird people asking me for money and following me on twitch. Should have done things anonymously but that was my mistake. People are well aware that money doesn't mean anything to me. Don't want to speak on this matter anymore.

Notch?

etta

my hard graphic balls
You guys remember a few months ago Major Nelson changed his Twitter background to this current one:
1500x500

Solar system, right? Scorpio is an astrological sign, constellations...etc.
Is that bottom right sign a cypher?

Also:

Notice observer, competitive, extremist, dangerous enemy...etc.

Hmmm, curious.

WadeitOut

You guys remember a few months ago Major Nelson changed his Twitter background to this current one:

Solar system, right? Scorpio is an astrological sign, constellations...etc.
Is that bottom right sign a cypher?

Also:

Notice observer, competitive, extremist, dangerous enemy...etc.

Hmmm, curious.

No. To all of this.

It's pretty obvious that a cool picture of a solar system that has nothing to do with constellations or the zodiac has nothing to do with it.

I doubt it has anything to do with Scorpio as well, but there was a second part of the post, and it's obvious they chose Scorpio for those reasons.

Top Bottom