• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's pretty obvious that a cool picture of a solar system that has nothing to do with constellations or the zodiac has nothing to do with it.

That symbol at the bottom right kinda looks like several zodiac signs combined, or 1/3 of it looks similar to the Capricorn sign.

TsuWave

Would be awesome if they used a method other than numbers to name the systems though.

Xbox Scorpio sounds so bad ass.

If be down for
Xbox Aquarius
Xbox Leo
Xbox Pisces
Etc

Doubt it would happen though

They could also go alphanumeric
Xbox Alpha
Xbox Beta (lol)
Xbox Charlie
Xbox Delta
Etc

those are all awful lol and i don't think general consumers (non enthusiasts) would take to it/understand

wachie

If Panos is in charge, won't they follow the Surface naming scheme?

Xbox (Xbox One)
Xbox Pro (Scorpio)
Xbox 2
Xbox 2 Pro

Xbox (Xbox One)
Xbox Pro (Scorpio)
Xbox 2
Xbox 2 Pro

No, because the Pro identifier is to delineate capabilities of Windows, not just hardware which is why you have Surface / Surface Pro.

Panos is designing the hardware, but he's not in charge of Xbox - that's going to be something that Phil decides.

wachie

No, because the Pro identifier is to delineate capabilities of Windows, not just hardware which is why you have Surface / Surface Pro.

Panos is designing the hardware, but he's not in charge of Xbox - that's going to be something that Phil decides.
Not just windows but the underlying hardware as well.

You are right on who's in charge. I'd rather they keep it simple rather than making it a mess.

Not just windows but the underlying hardware as well.

You are right on who's in charge. I'd rather they keep it simple rather than making it a mess.

I'd be more invested if it was called Xbox One S keeping in line with previous hardware revisions

Xbox 360 S
Xbox Controller S

wachie

I'm not big on nostalgia so don't care for that. To be honest that sounds like Apple's current mess of a naming scheme.

AmyS

Is there an existing 40CU GPU design in the AMD line-up? I would tend to think that a straight shrink of existing design (CU, ROP, TMU count) along with architectural improvements would be easier in terms of layout etc.

I'm not sure, I'll have to look through https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/

If P10 is really a 40CU design then 1GHz gets you about 5.2TFlops and adding Zen cores, it would be 5.5TFlops. That's over 4x the Xbox One target.

That's still pretty good.

You guys remember a few months ago Major Nelson changed his Twitter background to this current one:

Solar system, right? Scorpio is an astrological sign, constellations...etc.
Is that bottom right sign a cypher?

Also:

Notice observer, competitive, extremist, dangerous enemy...etc.

Hmmm, curious.

You're aware Astrology is basically, "read into this whatever you want" incarnate, right?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Phil just retweeted a podcast discussing the scorpio. They have to be discussing it at e3 now

I am so fucking curious. All leaks and how Phil has been handling th leaks makes you feel its real and going to be at E3 but at the same time. It makes zero fucking sense business wise.

Lets pretend this indeed is true and will be reveled at E3. If you make a pros and cons list. All I have are cons.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I am so fucking curious. All leaks and how Phil has been handling th leaks makes you feel its real and going to be at E3 but at the same time. It makes zero fucking sense business wise.

Lets pretend this indeed is true and will be reveled at E3. If you make a pros and cons list. All I have are cons.
Maybe they got good incentives as their ace in the hole.
You're aware Astrology is basically, "read into this whatever you want" incarnate, right?
Yes I am aware. But why would Major Nelson switch to a background about the solar system, a star. It's too specific. Before that his background was some Xbox stuff I think, the console on green background. Then he switches to something about a star, and oh look the zodiac is based on stars hmmmm how interesting.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Nah.

Slim revealed - $299 and available in July
Xbox One - prices to clear out stock at $199
Scorpio revealed - November release at $399-$449

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Nah.

Mic drop moment indeed but dont see it happening this year for that price range if spec are accurate.

TLZ

Banned

Xbox (Xbox One)
Xbox Pro (Scorpio)
Xbox 2
Xbox 2 Pro

But this has already been the case with 360; Xbox 360 Pro, Xbox 360 S, Xbox 360 E, Xbox 360 Arcade, Xbox 360 Elite.

Mrbob

Nah.

199? Fantasy world.

Also, Scorpio is at least 499 with its rumored specs.

MS and Sony aren't about that huge hardware loss leader life anymore.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

no lie - XBox One is the first launch machine i've not bought in , christ, 25 years?

But the -second- i could get second hand units for JPY $199 equivalent i bought myself and my wife one.

(and of course i've hardly played it but we do have about 18 games ... which is par for the course)

Scorpio is a clue to the release date. November bitches.
Late October - November, I'm a Scorpio born in October. October - November is one of the two 6 month major release dates for Webkit HTML5 and typically when new Platforms are released. ALL UHD Media uses HTML5 for the UI and transport.

This November or November 2017? If it's this November then the only reason I can think of for Sony using Polaris and GDDR5 is that they will have a much cheaper PS4 Neo than the XB1 Scorpio using Vega and HBM 2.

mcrommert

Banned
Late October - November, I'm a Scorpio born in October. October - November is one of the two 6 month major release dates for Webkit HTML5 and typically when new Platforms are released. ALL UHD Media uses HTML5 for the UI and transport.

This November or November 2017? If it's this November then the only reason I can think of for Sony using Polaris and GDDR5 is that they will have a much cheaper PS4 Neo than the XB1 Scorpio using Vega and HBM 2.

What? I mean what? What on earth does the release timings of updates to webkit have to do with the Xbox...microsoft doesn't even use webkit in anything it builds. Thanks for the info on html 5 for ui I guess but your whole post is just a big non sequitor.

c0de

What? I mean what? What on earth does the release timings of updates to webkit have to do with the Xbox...microsoft doesn't even use webkit in anything it builds. Thanks for the info on html 5 for ui I guess but your whole post is just a big non sequitor.

If it's a uhd console (which might not happen at all - I don't see a big audience for discs in general in the future) then it has to do HTML 5. But they don't have to use WebKit for that, they could easily just use their own browser, of course. At least they got rid of that java trash that was mandatory for Blu-ray.
Edit: with uhd i mean uhd bluray. Being uhd capable is a given in my opinion.

big_z

Xbox (Xbox One)
Xbox Pro (Scorpio)
Xbox 2
Xbox 2 Pro

it will remain xbox one because if they rename the console they'll have to relicense games for backwards compatibility.

Zedox

it will remain xbox one because if they rename the console they'll have to relicense games for backwards compatibility.

Not if they licensed it to the Xbox Store and not the system itself. That way they can merge the Xbox Store and Windows Store and the license is the same.

leeh

199? Fantasy world.

Also, Scorpio is at least 499 with its rumored specs.

MS and Sony aren't about that huge hardware loss leader life anymore.
Not so sure on that one, or more so, I'm hoping they are. Entirely new upper management could mean anything happens, and since they're officially an software/services company, it wouldn't surprise me how they wouldn't want profit from hardware. Weren't the surfaces created to show OEM's how to make hardware?

Basically, I really bloody hope so.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Would be awesome if they used a method other than numbers to name the systems though.

Xbox Scorpio sounds so bad ass.

If be down for
Xbox Aquarius
Xbox Leo
Xbox Pisces
Etc

Doubt it would happen though

They could also go alphanumeric
Xbox Alpha
Xbox Beta (lol)
Xbox Charlie
Xbox Delta
Etc
I like them honestly, but it's better to use them as codenames and not as actual names.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The project would have started a while ago and they wouldn't be sure of a release date until closer to completion. So I don't buy the 'Scorpio = November" bit. Probably just a cool name - hey it's a scorpion, those have a mean sting in their tail right? Maybe they just want to have it symbolic of stinging the completion?

Sony, AMD, Microsoft and maybe others are jointly releasing UHD and UHD Blu-ray as well as Vidipath. The SDK Comcast and others are using for Vidipath is Gnome Mobile Initiative Webkit and the APIs Sony uses are based on Gnome mobile. Same for Samsung's Tizen and Google using blink.

The common DRM for Vidipath is Microsoft's Playready, WMDRM and Playready ND. Microsoft's UI and browser is based on WebGL and Webkit HTML5 compatibility because all UHD Media including Vidipath uses HTML5.

ATSC 3 is the UHD Antenna TV standard which is supposed to reach candidate status Q1 2017 and any changes to it will be reflected into every other UHD delivery scheme and HTML5 as well as vice versa.

Vidipath Cable TV DVRs are already available, Antenna TV ATSC 1 & 3 Vidipath tuners with optional DVR should be shipping early 2017. UHD Blu-ray with digital bridge and optional DVR Vidpath servers are the third part of the coming in home media sharing with Vidipath.

Top Bottom