• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Yes, a new Marvel vs. Capcom game is in development. (X-Men gone, MCU focus)

Which Marvel character are you most looking forward to in MvC4?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We need answers to "Bounce"
It could be sources corroborating each other's info and "bouncing" between each other, or it's definitely Amingo and it's bouncing cactuses!

Conspiracy theory: bounce = Dead or Alive = team Ninja working on Marvel game :p

Platy

There is. To the point they were going to do a FF/X-men crossover until Trank's movie turned out to be a disaster. That's why Simon Kimberly and Matthew Vaughn were producers on that film. FF is the only thing that's missing though. All the X-men films are in a single canon, married by DOFP, with The Last Stand basically cancelled out.

This is like calling the Star Trek or Fast and Furious movies a cinematic universe =P

It is called a franchise.

Jawmuncher

I can't see it being 12 per side. The big avengers alone take up so much of the roster. I don't see them dropping any lead of their movies which takes you to 9 (including black widow).

Also leaves very little room for capcom unless they commit to one per franchise outside of like 2 where they can have 2

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Making the final rumor video now, but the 2v2 makes perfect sense with the reboot suggestion.

Rebooting MVC allows Marvel to do one thing, start fresh on all the Fox properties. It also allows the gameplay mechanics to be refined and rebooted. DHC's, Xfactor, 3v3, everything is fair game. Assists are probably the only safe mechanic at this point, as it's been rumored. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but the current process of news and info over the last week (along with many of the things I've heard personally) leads me to think the Marvel Vs Capcom we could see on Saturday, might be a lot different than what we're all thinking it could be.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

SpaceWolf

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;225782815 said:
if by "everyone" you mean like 3 people, then yeah

Please don't retroactively edit other peoples comments that happen to follow yours into your original post. It makes for confusing reading!

I tried to compile all the information we have thus far because as time goes on people are just trying to spread nonsense, and the OP isn't being updated. I left out completely unreliable/unaccountable stuff (4Chan, Discord), but all of this stuff shouldn't be taken as fact and people should use their own judgment.

Information:

Early testing for MvC4 will begin next year
Source:
YogaFlame24 via Twitter

MvC4 will be announced at Playstation Experience/Capcom Cup, a 2017 Title
Source:
Names withheld to protect them, but established members of the FGC/Ryce say it will be announced specifically after Capcom Cup Grand Finals.
Source: Polygon's independent sources point to an announcement more generally this weekend.
Source: Eurogamer's own sources corroborate an announcement more generally at the Playstation Experience.
Source: SneakersSO says we'll see it at the PSX keynote first. Mentions this repeatedly, as well as that what will happen at Capcom Cup will instead be an exhibition.
Source: Lupinko.
Source: shinobi602

Team Ninja is involved
Source:
Names withheld to protect them, but established members of the FGC/Ryce.

No more X-Men, focus on MCU Characters
Source:
Polygon suggests, with the author clarifying on twitter this conclusion was reached by what he was told to expect.
Source: Eurogamer corroborating Polygon's claims.
Source: Nibel via Twitter.
Source: A Malaysian animator via d3v of SRK, although d3v later said not to put too much stock into this as the source could not be confirmed

MvC4 will feature Ant-Man & Groot
Source:
Polygon, with the author specifying that these characters were specifically named.
Source: Eurogamer corroborating Polygon's report

MvC4 will feature Dr. Strange
Source:
Eurogamer.

"Good news for fans of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 specifically coming soon"
Source:
Polygon
Speculation: A UMvC3 port to be announced at either the TGAs or PSX based on a sudden UMvC3 stream by Iron Galaxy, and Marvel-Related tweets by Iron Galaxy CEO, a developer that has a history in doing Capcom re-releases.

MCU Film Actors involved, there is no "4" in the game title
Source:
Nibel via Twitter.

MvC4 is a Sony Exclusive
Source:
SneakersSO heard about a year and a half ago that Sony made a deal with Capcom to develop a Vs. game, later specified as Marvel from sources close to Capcom.

Combofiend is the new battle director
Source:
sephi22

Will be more casual-focused compared to SFV which is more competitive-focused, have big marketing push
Source:
sephi22

The Gameplay will take a 2v2 + 1 Assist Format
Source:
A Malaysian animator via d3v of SRK,, although d3v later said not to put too much stock into this as the source could not be confirmed.

Teases/Ambiguous/Probably Nothing:

Lupinko tweeting about X-Men
Source:
A post-Polygon article beserker barrage of X-Men related tweets, some of which have #datmarvel.

"Bounce"
Source:
A series of GAF posts by bishoptl: 1 2 3
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.

Bizazedo

Making the final rumor video now, but the 2v2 makes perfect sense with the reboot suggestion.

Rebooting MVC allows Marvel to do one thing, start fresh on all the Fox properties. It also allows the gameplay mechanics to be refined and rebooted. DHC's, Xfactor, 3v3, everything is fair game. Assists are probably the only safe mechanic at this point, as it's been rumored. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but the current process of news and info over the last week (along with many of the things I've heard personally) leads me to think the Marvel Vs Capcom we could see on Saturday, might be a lot different than what we're all thinking it could be.

MVC....!!

....FOR CASUALS!

Press Square for Infinite.

Jawmuncher

It'll be less than MVC3. But I feel 15 per side would work better. Would still be smaller for a Marvel game after 2&3 but enough to work with for diversity

Kinsei

Banned
Nibellion has already said the game will have a small roster. Anyone expecting a ton hasn't been paying attention.

Besides, this will get a TON of DLC.

I know the roster won't be super huge but I'm hoping for at least 15 per side. 12 doesn't seem like it'll be enough to have one or two completely off the wall picks like Ammy back in vanilla MvC3.

I'm sure it will and I'll probably end up buying all of it.

Platy

Yeah it could be cell shaded SD characters in a party fighter =D

Marvel

could never
Eh it's kinda small sure, don't think for one second DLC won't come out fairly quick though. Big cash to be made and we are all gonna pay.

Skilletor

I can't see it being 12 per side. The big avengers alone take up so much of the roster. I don't see them dropping any lead of their movies which takes you to 9 (including black widow).

Also leaves very little room for capcom unless they commit to one per franchise outside of like 2 where they can have 2

Have you seen my downloadable content, dawg?

Was wave dashing a design choice or happenstance that turned out for the best? I can't remember.

I just hope its not another cross tekken, 2v2 has me shook.

It's been in the series since at least MSH (I haven't played CotA recently to test), so it must be a design choice.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I agree, the idea of a reboot isn't threatening necessarily, and provides new opportunities to create a new vision for what a MvC game can be..

..but man I don't know what they'd have to do to make up for how much 3v3 does for team building, encouraging experimentation over time, and the general complexity of the game.

Smaller roster doesn't bother me TBH, it will always expand over time, especially in a game like this. 24 is a healthy number even if it's relatively smaller to the most recent entries into the franchise.

May i remind you guys how it went the last time Capcom made a crossovers of only characters made by themselves?

Capcom_Fighting_Jam_15.jpg

The roster was good, just it played like buttcheeks.

FinKL

Now I'm really confused. If Team Ninja is involved, won't the game play like Tekken Tag as opposed to ANY of the Capcom VS series fighters...

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I agree, the idea of a reboot isn't threatening necessarily, and provides new opportunities to create a new vision for what a MvC game can be..

..but man I don't know what they'd have to do to make up for how much 3v3 does for team building, encouraging experimentation over time, and the general complexity of the game.

2v2 could mean the return of crazy horseshit like this.

4c2087ce05976799d0cca8106e8ca656-650-80.jpg

Now I'm really confused. If Team Ninja is involved, won't the game play like Tekken Tag as opposed to ANY of the Capcom VS series fighters...

Yes. I am probably the most worried that MVC:Reboot will be a 3D fighting game. That would probably be the biggest departure from the classics in the 'Reboot' consideration.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

If we are going to get reboot marvel fighting game, I wonder the companies would grab the opportunities to overhaul marvel characters' movesets.

Edited: that would make sense for low numbers roster since it would require a lot of works to redone their animations.

TreIII

I tried to compile all the information we have thus far because as time goes on people are just trying to spread nonsense, and the OP isn't being updated. I left out completely unreliable/unaccountable stuff (4Chan, Discord), but all of this stuff shouldn't be taken as fact and people should use their own judgment.

Information:

Early testing for MvC4 will begin next year
Source:
YogaFlame24 via Twitter

MvC4 will be announced at Playstation Experience/Capcom Cup, a 2017 Title
Source:
Names withheld to protect them, but established members of the FGC/Ryce say it will be announced specifically after Capcom Cup Grand Finals.
Source: Polygon's independent sources point to an announcement more generally this weekend.
Source: Eurogamer's own sources corroborate an announcement more generally at the Playstation Experience.
Source: SneakersSO says we'll see it at the PSX keynote first. Mentions this repeatedly, as well as that what will happen at Capcom Cup will instead be an exhibition.
Source: Lupinko.
Source: shinobi602

Team Ninja is involved
Source:
Names withheld to protect them, but established members of the FGC/Ryce.

No more X-Men, focus on MCU Characters
Source:
Polygon suggests, with the author clarifying on twitter this conclusion was reached by what he was told to expect.
Source: Eurogamer corroborating Polygon's claims.
Source: Nibel via Twitter.
Source: A Malaysian animator via d3v of SRK, although d3v later said not to put too much stock into this as the source could not be confirmed

MvC4 will feature Ant-Man & Groot
Source:
Polygon, with the author specifying that these characters were specifically named.
Source: Eurogamer corroborating Polygon's report

MvC4 will feature Dr. Strange
Source:
Eurogamer.

"Good news for fans of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 specifically coming soon"
Source:
Polygon
Speculation: A UMvC3 port to be announced at either the TGAs or PSX based on a sudden UMvC3 stream by Iron Galaxy, and Marvel-Related tweets by Iron Galaxy CEO, a developer that has a history in doing Capcom re-releases.

MCU Film Actors involved, there is no "4" in the game title
Source:
Nibel via Twitter.

MvC4 is a Sony Exclusive
Source:
SneakersSO heard about a year and a half ago that Sony made a deal with Capcom to develop a Vs. game, later specified as Marvel from sources close to Capcom.

Combofiend is the new battle director
Source:
sephi22

Will be more casual-focused compared to SFV which is more competitive-focused, have big marketing push
Source:
sephi22

The Gameplay will take a 2v2 + 1 Assist Format
Source:
A Malaysian animator via d3v of SRK,, although d3v later said not to put too much stock into this as the source could not be confirmed.

Teases/Ambiguous/Probably Nothing:

Lupinko tweeting about X-Men
Source:
A post-Polygon article beserker barrage of X-Men related tweets, some of which have #datmarvel.

"Bounce"
Source:
A series of GAF posts by bishoptl: 1 2 3

Thanks for doing this!

Now...of all the rumors, the one thing that really sticks out to me is the Team Ninja connection. Team Ninja is still a part of Koei Tecmo, the very same Koei Tecmo that has had an on-again, off-again rivalry with Capcom, which then intensified thanks to the legal squabbles.

Stranger things have happened, but I'd be personally surprised if any segment of Koei wanted to do business with Capcom, after all that happened.

Though...then again, they've been talking about a big Western Collab for almost two years...

PSqueak

Banned
Explain
Why are there like 4 wolverines

Play by play:

-MVC1 allowed you to make a special move that costed you 3 bars that would allow both your characters fight at the same time for a limited time.
-During this time you had unlimited meter, so you could spam supers
-Wolverine's Berserker charge super gave him an after image effect, if you go frame by frame you'd see multiple wolverines.

V-Faction

I prefer 3 v 3...

BUT. It's a Versus game. 2 v 2 is perfectly acceptable.

Man, nothing gets me more hype than listening to character themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom