• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Yes, a new Marvel vs. Capcom game is in development. (X-Men gone, MCU focus)

Which Marvel character are you most looking forward to in MvC4?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I feel like you should just make a new thread specifically expaining this, so you don't have to keep repeating yourself in threads lol
I'd need to be unjuniored, first.

But yeah, this ban covers ALL Fox characters, as well as Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch on most occasions.

SephLuis

My guesses on the Capcom side :

Ryu
Chun-Li
Phoenix Wright
Wesker
Leon
Megaman X (or EXE)
Zero
Dante
Strider
Morrigan
Samanosuke (Onimusha)
Gene (God Hand) or Asura (Asura's Wrath)
Someone from Monster Hunter
Amaterasu
Frank West

Other possibiities:
Arthur
Viewtiful Joe
Spencer from Bionic Commando
Ryu from Breath of Fire

Also, if the game really is 2x2, it's possible that it will be closer in gameplay to TvsC than MvsC3

Producer

It's weird how many of these things I would've agreed with years ago but now feel hesitant about. People have adapted to counter these things. Ok, Vergil's still BS.

Yeah true, but cmon at least morrigan doesnt need that. It will still help out certain characters and teams that have trouble dealing with them.

lol expecting X Factor nerfs.

It was nerfed in ultimate, it could happen again.

Pachimari

We need Inhumans up in this beast! Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Lockjaw, Quake. Bring it!

On the Capcom side I just want Mega Man, Phoenix Wright, Dante, Amaterasu and Frank West. Throw in Leon Kennedy from RE4 and Rashid from SFV.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hope they will allow room for some obscure picks as well. There's so many good characters that Marvel aren't pushing in MCU or that don't have their own comic series.

I think some of the obscure characters who aren't strategically useful within the next few years would probably be more likely as DLC.

Gren

Yes and it's awful. Dude has lost it.
Nah guy can still do great stuff. He was probably rushed for SFV.

mvc3_p1.jpg

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: DEADPOOL IS NOT A MUTANT

He hangs out with X-Men sometimes and tried to join them but yeah, he's just a human who recieved his powers from Weapon X

we know this (though the Fox movie fucks this up a lot and says he IS a mutant) but Fox controls him anyway due to licensing deals etc etc.

D-Man

I didn't use any of the X-Men characters in UMVC3 but their absence is a major bummer. Really hoping we can get them at least as DLC. :/

Tyaren

Oh, I hope they nail Shinkiro's art style with the bigger possibilities this gen:

mvc3-character-poster.jpg

Guitly Gear Xrd showed it's possible.

Neoxon

Wait. Why don't a lot of the LEGO games have FOX characters? Why would they do it there, but not here?
Lego Marvel was released before the ban started.

I get what you're saying but I think you're declaring this a bit early. We haven't seen the contract on this game, we don't know how it will go yet. We do know Marvel games has recently had major changes and we know they've been talking with Fox. While that may not be an MCU deal, I think it's a bit early to assume this means that this "ban" will continue.
Marvel usually decides the base roster before development even begins. If this is coming out in 2017, then the contract was likely signed around 2015, when the ban was in full swing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
In general, on the Marvel side, I'd suggest expecting something like 2/3rds major popular characters, and 1/3rd characters they want to push in the future (think people like not-yet-popular characters from upcoming films or Ms. Marvel, who they're pushing hard in the comics and other games).

Mind, this game is likely to have a ton of DLC, so I'm just talking about the launch roster.
It all depends on how much freedom they have this time around.

I don't think it's a good idea to assume negotiations are the same as they were with MvC3 because of how Marvel has exploded post-Avengers and Capcom has diminished a bit, but at the time there was a lot of pressure from Marvel to put in certain characters to test the waters for the future (i.e. Strange, Rocket Raccoon) but Capcom had a say in things and pushed a lot for certain characters either because they were important to the franchise (like MSS, Shuma-Gorath, etc.) or had unique and interesting gameplay opportunities (i.e. MODOK), which still gives me hope that they at least got Wolverine or something for the sake of the history of the franchise.

Dahbomb

Lets talk UMvC3 port/patch notes

Morrigan meter gain during AV? Gone
Vergil Spiral Swords? Nerfed
Doom missiles gone on hit. yeah i went there
Zero buster nerfed somehow
Xfactor is always lvl 1
I think if they are actually serious about patching then they should try to keep things to a minimum this late in the game's cycle and focus more on bugs/unintended mechanics/features.

TAC infinite glitch, unscaled damage/hit stun attacks and Galactus hack should be removed without question.

I think top tier characters should get the stick and quite a few characters should be buffed. At this point in the game's cycle Marvel 3 is surprisingly balanced for the type of game it is. I think those characters you mentioned getting nerfed and the really low end characters like Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Hsien Ko should get buffed a lot.

And of course there's a mythical patch out there that is far, far more in depth if they want to go deep into it.

cordy

Banned
My guesses on the Capcom side :

Ryu
Chun-Li
Phoenix Wright
Wesker
Leon
Megaman X (or EXE)
Zero

Dante
Strider
Morrigan
Samanosuke (Onimusha)
Gene (God Hand) or Asura (Asura's Wrath)
Someone from Monster Hunter
Amaterasu
Frank West

Other possibiities:
Arthur
Viewtiful Joe
Spencer from Bionic Commando
Ryu from Breath of Fire

Also, if the game really is 2x2, it's possible that it will be closer in gameplay to TvsC than MvsC3

Hmmm...

What are the chances of Sigma being in the game? He's pretty unique, he's a villain which is needed on Capcom's side. Problem is that I don't see X, Zero and Sigma all in.

mrmickfran

That would be broken as fuck. This is Mahvel we talking hear, there would be some bullshit tech that would allow Gene to buy enough time to land a free one. I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the development team.

Hype is through the roof for a new Marvel though.
Just have him do his stupid taunt afterwards. Sacrifice himself for the super bar.
Game needs Sigma

He's the perfect Capcom foil for Thanos

Here's his battle theme
You didn't pick the right Sigma theme.

Neoxon

They gotta' negotiate Logan to be in the disc, at least.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. As mentioned earlier, the contract was likely signed when the ban was in full effect. Wolverine hasn't been featured in a post-CoC game in 2 years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It all depends on how much freedom they have this time around.

I don't think it's a good idea to assume negotiations are the same as they were with MvC3 because of how Marvel has exploded post-Avengers and Capcom has diminished a bit, but at the time there was a lot of pressure from Marvel to put in certain characters to test the waters for the future (i.e. Strange, Rocket Raccoon) but Capcom had a say in things and pushed a lot for certain characters either because they were important to the ranchise (like MSS, Shuma-Gorath, etc.) or had unique and interesting gameplay opportunities (i.e. MODOK), which still gives me hope that they at least got Wolverine or something for the sake of the history of the franchise.
Marvel's new console effort is a bit different. They don't just license the IPs anymore, they work with the developers on a daily basis.

I think they would certainly take the dev's wishes into account as they view them as partners instead of licensees now, but I think that similarly the developer is more likely to be working toward the same goals as Marvel since they're doing so much coordination.

Like this could honestly be a four to five year project getting mapped out by the two in terms of support and some barebones plans set up for how to transition to a fifth game. They're already planning a whole series of Spider-Man games with Insomniac.

It sucks that there might not be any X-Men but for me personally I have always loved the Capcom side more. I'm just clinching for Gene and for Wright to comeback more than anything.

Zesh

No X-Men is a big loss. Still excited for this, but that definitely deflates my hype a bit.

I guess pretty much every major MCU character is a lock, for what it's worth.

Producer

I think if they are actually serious about patching then they should try to keep things to a minimum this late in the game's cycle and focus more on bugs/unintended mechanics/features.

TAC infinite glitch, unscaled damage/hit stun attacks and Galactus hack should be removed without question.

I think top tier characters should get the stick and quite a few characters should be buffed. At this point in the game's cycle Marvel 3 is surprisingly balanced for the type of game it is. I think those characters you mentioned getting nerfed and the really low end characters like Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Hsien Ko should get buffed a lot.

And of course there's a mythical patch out there that is far, far more in depth if they want to go deep into it.

Yeah, most important stuff is glitches and bugs. They probably shouldnt do a super deep exhaustive balance change but just some stuff like i mentioned. Since if its real i doubt this port will get played much if mvc4 is around the corner.

shaowebb

NO MAGNETO IS A HUGE META CHANGER.

Dude has been a solid force and defacto assist for teams since Marvel 2. If Dr. Doom is absent as well for any reason then its gonna be a completely new world in terms of finding a good beam assist for teams (though Doom was pretty well Missiles by the end of MVC3).

Magneto rapid fire air mobility and triangle offense coupled with his zoning and fast conversions made him an easy choice for a great zoning assist/character to add to any team. Dropping Magneto is BIG.

My God I am pumped for this. I love series shakeups.

RK128

Okay, moving aside my annoyance of possibly not seeing any X-Men/Fantastic 4 characters, I will make my personal wish-list.

Marvel:
-Iron Man
-War Machine
-Captain America
-Falcon
-Hulk
-She Hulk
-Thor
-Loki
-Black Widow
-Black Panther
-Ultron
-Vision
-Hawkeye
-Ghost Rider
-Daredevil
-Jessica Jones or Luke Cage
-Iron Fist
-Groot
-Star Lord
-Rocket Raccoon
-Doctor Strange

Will share my Capcom roster wishes later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom