• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Yes, a new Marvel vs. Capcom game is in development. (X-Men gone, MCU focus)

Which Marvel character are you most looking forward to in MvC4?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

No X-men or Dr. Doom but we got Inhumans and Star-Lord? What is even the point of making the game if the roster will be this lame?
josuke_edit__what_about_my__by_honeyicepop-d9xxtlx.gif

I feel like if they did manage to work something out, it'd be to have Wolverine. They've gotta know how important he is to the series legacy.

But on to serious matters, tho: Breath of Fire and Power Stone better not get the shaft this time.

Oh, and Sigma and Gene I guess.

mooncakes

Lets talk UMvC3 port/patch notes

Morrigan meter gain during AV? Gone
Vergil Spiral Swords? Nerfed
Doom missiles gone on hit. yeah i went there
Zero buster nerfed somehow
Xfactor is always lvl 1

I want Iron Man's airdash back the way it was from vanilla marvel 3

NO MAGNETO IS A HUGE META CHANGER.

Dude has been a solid force and defacto assist for teams since Marvel 2. If Dr. Doom is absent as well for any reason then its gonna be a completely new world in terms of finding a good beam assist for teams (though Doom was pretty well Missiles by the end of MVC3).

Magneto rapid fire air mobility and triangle offense coupled with his zoning and fast conversions made him an easy choice for a great zoning assist/character to add to any team. Dropping Magneto is BIG.

My God I am pumped for this. I love series shakeups.

I was about to say. Isn't a series shakeup a good thing, rather than just having fans fall back into the same bad habits since Marvel 2?

One of the worst things about Street Fighter is that it's so hard to get an entry that doesn't lean heavily on the same core characters that have been around since SF2, since fans tend to riot.

Gonna wait and see but I assume that they're not stripping out all X-men characters entirely, just including characters that are more relevant to the comics these days (which the Xmen haven't really been for a while).

Wolverine (either X-23 or Old Logan) and Magento are pretty relevant still... so gonna wait and see for some official coverage before buying the Polygon story.

Either way, love to see some different characters on the roster. Everyone on this team needs to be in the game:

Except Carol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
NO MAGNETO IS A HUGE META CHANGER.

Dude has been a solid force and defacto assist for teams since Marvel 2. If Dr. Doom is absent as well for any reason then its gonna be a completely new world in terms of finding a good beam assist for teams (though Doom was pretty well Missiles by the end of MVC3).

Magneto rapid fire air mobility and triangle offense coupled with his zoning and fast conversions made him an easy choice for a great zoning assist/character to add to any team. Dropping Magneto is BIG.

My God I am pumped for this. I love series shakeups.
I have a good feeling Iron Man will become the new Magneto, mostly from inheriting the tridash. He's very well suited, and in MvC3 he was a poor man's Magneto anyways.

But I agree with you, I like big shakeups like this because they keep things interesting (even though I'd absolutely rather the X-Men/Doom be included than otherwise).

Marvel's new console effort is a bit different. They don't just license the IPs anymore, they work with the developers on a daily basis.

I think they would certainly take the dev's wishes into account as they view them as partners instead of licensees now, but I think that similarly the developer is more likely to be working toward the same goals as Marvel since they're doing so much coordination.

Like this could honestly be a four to five year project getting mapped out by the two in terms of support and some barebones plans set up for how to transition to a fifth game. They're already planning a whole series of Spider-Man games with Insomniac.

I said it a bit earlier, but it seems like they are far more concerned about the quality of the games they're licensing out now than they were before.

And it also seems like they liked how MvC3 went, and that had to have had a lot of input from Marvel if it wasn't daily

Gonna wait and see but I assume that they're not stripping out all X-men characters entirely, just including characters that are more relevant to the comics these days (which the Xmen haven't really been for a while).

Still, Wolverine (either X-23 or Old Logan) and Magento are pretty relevant still so...

Either way, love to see some different characters on the roster. Everyone on this team needs to be in the game:

Except Carol

That team is awesome.

Get a Galactus assist for a finisher and I'm definitely in.

Also? Is Anti-Man supposed to be on that team? Because if so that's easily the most OP team of all time.

Vice

No they aren't.
Ma. Marvel can probably cover most of super Skrull's niche at least. Dr. Doom, there are a lot of tech/magic guys who could cover his playstyle feom the general Marvel Universe.

Ban doesn't seem too bad as far as playstyles go. As long as they find a way to bring in a Dark Phoenix type character.

I was about to say. Isn't a series shakeup a good thing, rather than just having fans fall back into the same bad habits since Marvel 2?

One of the worst things about Street Fighter is that it's so hard to get an entry that doesn't lean heavily on the same core characters that have been around since SF2, since fans tend to riot.

i don't the series for that crap, I play it bcause folks need to get FOOT DIVED

DR2K

Banned
No mutants is perfect. In lieu of Magneto, Capcom can bring Q-bee.

For that I hope she's Hsienko tier.

Seriously this deal with Fox is what kept them afloat. That and their deal with Sony and Spider-Man. Just sucks that their legacy and their fans are being punished because some suits can't agree on something.

I think if they are actually serious about patching then they should try to keep things to a minimum this late in the game's cycle and focus more on bugs/unintended mechanics/features.

TAC infinite glitch, unscaled damage/hit stun attacks and Galactus hack should be removed without question.

I think top tier characters should get the stick and quite a few characters should be buffed. At this point in the game's cycle Marvel 3 is surprisingly balanced for the type of game it is. I think those characters you mentioned getting nerfed and the really low end characters like Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Hsien Ko should get buffed a lot.

And of course there's a mythical patch out there that is far, far more in depth if they want to go deep into it.

I honestly cant believe you guys are still keeping hope.

If it really does happen then kudos, truly.

He is, but note that you're getting a Thor movie with Hulk as a guest star- but Marvel has struggled to get anyone to care about Hulk movies. They're the lowest grossing franchise marvel has, and the fact that they don't control distribution (paramount does) makes that even less of a priority for them.

I see what you are saying but i feel that this method of having Hulk in these different movies and revealing more aspects could maybe help in getting fans but we'll see.

WHAT? O_O

If it's gonna happen without the X-men, so be it. At least it's happening. Would be weird to see a currentgen MvC w/o mutants though. Talk about mutants, does Marvel have full rights to Deadpool or is that licensed to FOX as well?

Anyway, can't wait for the conference.

Gonna be amazing when a developer is on stage talking about their game and the camera pans to WHEN'S MAHVEL signs in the crowd.

One potential benefit of this if we're not actually in the darkest timeline for X-Men fans is that there could be a backlash that could lead to a LOT of X-Men DLC characters. And a backlash is a given if what Polygon says is true.

This is assuming Capcom could survive such a backlash against one of their games after SFV, though. It'd be completely horrible if the one that killed them was the one that wasn't their fault.

Pachimari

Wolverine (either X-23 or Old Logan) and Magento are pretty relevant still... so gonna wait and see for some official coverage before buying the Polygon story.

Except Carol
Yes please to Miss America!

Vex_

Banned
With no X-Men, there has to be a fucking story OR ELSE.

THERE BETTER BE BRANCHING PATHWAYS. I'm serious, CAPCOM. Do this or you're finished! CAPCOM = DONECOM

You're walking on thin ice, CHUMPCOM.

Dahbomb

The worst rumor out of all this that is going around is the 2v2 + 1 assist thing.

That's actually significantly worse than having no X Men. If there's a PC version you can probably just mod the X Men characters in if you care but 2v2 + 1 assist is a massive step back for the franchise.

Neoxon

Here's my guesses on who could replace who...
  • Wolverine -> Black Panther
  • Rogue -> Captain Marvel
  • Super-Skrull -> Ms. Marvel
  • Magneto -> Ultron
  • Doctor Doom -> Loki
  • Storm -> Jane Foster Thor
  • Sentinel -> Groot
  • Deadpool -> Gwenpool
  • Cyclops -> Vision

One other thing, RICHARD RIDER BETTER BE THE DEFAULT NOVA (if he's in)!!!!!!!

Femto.

I just hope they retire the X-characters.

No shotoclone nonsense for Megneto, Doom, and Wolverine please.

Black Panther seems fitting to replace Wolverine. However, I agree with you, originality would go hand in hand with the series' roster mainstays being dropped too.

A new sense of freshness.

The worst rumor out of all this that is going around is the 2v2 + 1 assist thing.

That's actually significantly worse than having no X Men. If there's a PC version you can probably just mod the X Men characters in if you care but 2v2 + 1 assist is a massive step back for the franchise.
I was asking if the source for no X people/F4 also said that the gameplay wouldn't be like MvC2/3, but no one answered.

Sesha

Don't worry, guys. I'm sure you'll grow to love Ka-Zar in Wolverine's absense. :)

Except Carol

yesyesyesyesyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom