• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Yes, a new Marvel vs. Capcom game is in development. (X-Men gone, MCU focus)

Which Marvel character are you most looking forward to in MvC4?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

Always found it weird that Sentinal was even in these games.

It's not even a character. It's just one of many robots for the xmen to beat on.

Guess they have a cool design. But still a weird choice.

Eh, it's not that hard to believe.

For COTA to be the start of what Capcom hoped could be a new fighting game franchise, they wanted to try and cover their bases as much as possible. And how could a Japanese game developer be expected to say "No" to a friggin giant robot? Especially when Marvel just gave them the license, their overall blessing and said "go nuts"?

Platy

You know ? Pocket Fighter was a smash bros game before Smash Bros.

Smash Bros 4 sold TEN MILLION MORE COPIES THAN SF5 and this is including a DEAD CONSOLE while SF5 had both the biggest selling console of the generation AND a pc that everyone has.

But NOOOO Capcom does not want to make fucking money out of the casual market because EVO is all they need =|

PSqueak

Banned
Always found it weird that Sentinal was even in these games.

It's not even a character. It's just one of many robots for the xmen to beat on.

Guess they have a cool design. But still a weird choice.

The first Marvel fighting game was an X-men game, since they picked stuff mostly from the 90's series, there the X-men had mostly two recognizable villians: Magneto and the swarms of Sentinels.

Also his stage was the factory where they made them with master mold, which exploded after you defeated Sentinel, so it made a bit of sense.

how did this thread get to sonic
25c85d2786bbdb4be3aec5e6092e23be.jpg

Thread relevant :^)

FinKL

Eh, it's not that hard to believe.

For COTA to be the start of what Capcom hoped could be a new fighting game franchise, they wanted to try and cover their bases as much as possible. And how could a Japanese game developer be expected to say "No" to a friggin giant robot? Especially when Marvel just gave them the license, their overall blessing and said "go nuts"?
Sentinel and Mags were end bosses and to me made sense, I doubt it was because lol Robot. It was huge and covered the whole screen so it was a pretty cool fight back then

You know ? Pocket Fighter was a smash bros game before Smash Bros.

Smash Bros 4 sold TEN MILLION MORE COPIES THAN SF5 and this is including a DEAD CONSOLE while SF5 had both the biggest selling console of the generation AND a pc that everyone has.

But NOOOO Capcom does not want to make fucking money out of the casual market because EVO is all they need =|

Smash sold 10M on Wii U or are you counting the 3DS' success?

Anyway, there were larger factors at work against SFV. Wii U or Switch port would not change things in the least. And as an online-focused game or a game with competitive online play, it had a better home on PS4/PC. I don't get the comparison.

SmokeMaxX

Welp remember all this about the marvelvscapcom.com domain?

So I think I found something interesting. I was thinking of how much of a troll the marvelvscapcom4.com redirect was. Then my friend pointed out that the fact that Capcom hadn't registered Marvelvscapcom4.com yet probably meant it wasn't coming out. So I was thinking, well either A) they dropped the ball on registering the website (maybe they didn't want people to guess that it was coming out so didn't register it or just didn't think to do it yet?) or B) maybe they're trying to be edgy and just titling the new game as Marvel vs Capcom with no number.

So anyway, I type in marvelvscapcom.com into my browser. It's a blank page. So I do a whois on it and turns out it was registered YESTERDAY to "Adam Charles" of San Francisco. Who is this guy?

So I go to his Linked In and find some interesting stuff:

(blah blah blah, I cut the rest out)

It took a lot of digging, but turns out it was a wild goose chase.
STEROLIZER 19 hours ago#158
I currently own the marvelvscapcom & marvelvscapcom4 domain names...hopefully I can make some dough off of this!
From http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/206-comics-and-graphic-novels/74625926?jumpto=158#158

So no worries about a mobile app tie-in with Marvel Vs Capcom 4. Interesting how legit sources have said there's no number in the name. Made sense when I thought marvelvscapcom.com was a thing, but dunno if it makes sense now. Kinda weird how this guy (same guy I linked to earlier) claims to own both domains but we know that he owns one and Jay Hartford owns the other.

Platy

Smash sold 10M on Wii U or are you counting the 3DS' success?

Anyway, there were larger factors at work against SFV. Wii U or Switch port would not change things in the least. And as an online-focused game or a game with competitive online play, it had a better home on PS4/PC. I don't get the comparison.

Counting the wiiu version since the SF5 numbers includes both ps4 and pc versions which both have a ridiculously greater install base than the 3DS

I still find weird to make a game that will compete with SF5 for the "hardcore" love while you can fire for other sides like the untapped smash crowd on non nintendo systems

SpaceWolf

Banned
Is someone keeping track of all the rumors coming out about this? All the recent developments in this thread are getting hard to keep track of.

Skilletor

Counting the wiiu version since the SF5 numbers includes both ps4 and pc versions which both have a ridiculously greater install base than the 3DS

I still find weird to make a game that will compete with SF5 for the "hardcore" love while you can fire for other sides like the untapped smash crowd on non nintendo systems

I think you're ignoring the nintendo characters in this equation. lol.

Platy

I think you're ignoring the nintendo characters in this equation. lol.

Capcom and SEGA are the only companies that comes even close to the Nintendo appeal ... and they can make games for systems that does not have the Nintendo competition AND have ririduclously bigger install bases

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale had a shittier selection of characters, shittier gameplay, one of the worst menu designs in gaming and STILL sold basically the same as SF5

edit : fixing the "sold more" to "sold basically the same"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've said it before and I'll say it again, 2v2 is pretty shitty in terms of actual depth and the worst rumour thus far, but it's probably a good idea in terms of simplifying things for casuals. I think the departure from 3v3 and lack of X-Men both probably give good reason for the game not being "MvC4" and being subtitled something else.

Anecdotally, I've played with some of my casual Marvel-loving friends and they can usually pick 2 characters but then struggle to make a decision with their third. Perhaps that'd be easier if they entire cast was well-known MCU characters, but it goes without saying that the MvC franchise needs new and thorough approach at explaining mechanics to those who are not hardcore fans of the franchise. Think about the proportion of people who played previous MvC games and didn't know what a DHC was, such a fundamental mechanic in the game. Perhaps 2v2 affords something simpler like a single swap/assist button and opens up the controls a bit as well.

Again, not saying I like the decision, but I can see the reasoning behind it (paying the bills).

I just wanna say, guys, even if this doesn't happen, it was a fun two threads.

If this doesn't happen I feel like people are gonna be extra mad at SFV, especially after watching the finals for a tournament they didn't care about hoping for some Marvel news.

ZeroCDR

I've said it before and I'll say it again, 2v2 is pretty shitty in terms of actual depth and the worst rumour thus far, but it's probably a good idea in terms of simplifying things for casuals. I think the departure from 3v3 and lack of X-Men both probably give good reason for the game not being "MvC4" and being subtitled something else.

Anecdotally, I've played with some of my casual Marvel-loving friends and they can usually pick 2 characters but then struggle to make a decision with their third. Perhaps that'd be easier if they entire cast was well-known MCU characters, but it goes without saying that the MvC franchise needs new and thorough approach at explaining mechanics to those who are not hardcore fans of the franchise. Think about the proportion of people who played previous MvC games and didn't know what a DHC was, such a fundamental mechanic in the game. Perhaps 2v2 affords something simpler like a single swap/assist button and opens up the controls a bit as well.

Again, not saying I like the decision, but I can see the reasoning behind it (paying the bills).

I get it too, but they need to be careful going after the audience that will sell back to GameStop after getting wrecked online. If the game is too shallow for the dedicated audience it could be a disaster.

MvC3 doubled the sales of 2, and could have performed even better if not for the unfortunate decisions forced on Ultimate (and even that met expectations). I don't think 3v3 is a genuine issue and I honestly think casuals find that appealing based on the success. An ideal solution would be a 2v2 mode for those that want it, but don't design the game around it.

tribal24

Banned
I get it too, but they need to be careful going after the audience that will sell back to GameStop after getting wrecked online. If the game is too shallow for the dedicated audience it could be a disaster.

MvC3 doubled the sales of 2, and could have performed even better if not for the unfortunate decisions forced on Ultimate (and even that met expectations). I don't think 3v3 is a genuine issue and I honestly think casuals find that appealing based on the success. An ideal solution would be a 2v2 mode for those that want it, but don't design the game around it.

Good points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom