• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poor AMD performance with DOOM.

I don't think AMD is really interested in devoting a lot of time and resources into OpenGL anymore. I think from their point of view, as long as it is stable and gets passable performance on most applications they will be quite happy with that outcome. They really don't seem to bend over backwards for the API unless there are huge releases like Doom that they have to deal with. It is a shame that their OpenGL performance has always been a little lacklustre, I use Linux on a regular basis and this is the main reason why I always go with Nvidia.

I would imagine that they are going to be putting more of their focus on Vulkan going forward.

Some of you guys saying things like "AMD chose to be shit" need to take a look at AMD's financials. It's not that they are choosing to suck, that's just stupid, they simply don't have the money and are spreading themselves thin in order to try to survive. It sucks, but it's (the current) reality. Not trying to justify their situation, just trying to give some perspective.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
My new Doom GTX 970 vs R9 390 perf analysis is uploading now (expect it within the hour). This one uses the new Crimson 16.5.2.1 drivers, and it's looking much better for AMD now. Phew!

Renekton

The 270x is more comparable to a 7950 as it's at a higher clock than a 7870. I have no issue playing everything at 60fps on medium, Doom is the only recent game to be unplayable. Stop trying to deflect that shit.
No way 270X is comparable to 7950 or 960.

It is only in 7870 ballpark.

jett

D-Member
edit:

280x here, with 16GB DDR4 and a 6700k. I did a test before I updated to the latest beta drivers. The room you start the game at is the most taxing I've seen, so I stood in the corner and stared at the table.

Before: 28-33 fps
After: 67-72 fps

aw shit I hope this is true, I really want to get this game.

ISee

Finally, and now off you go and kill me some demons. There is plenty of them and we can't get rid of them all by ourselves. :)

dr_rus

Are we going to pretend that drivers don't fix poorly programmed games all the time? Why would we need new drivers for every game release if they didn't?
Yes, a game is so poorly programmed that Hawaii is the only GPU where this manifests itself. Games must be programmed differently for Hawaii it seems than for Tonga and Fiji.

Karanlos

This makes me curious about what was done that brought about such a massive improvement.

A guess would be they're able to disable a lot of the error checking that the driver performs. OpenGL has alot of handholding to make sure the app doesn't crash even with undefined behaviour.
Probably that and some specific optimizations for Doom as I doubt it's a OpenGL update for every game out there.

Yeah, I'm really satisfied. Didn't have to wait long either, good on AMD.
Could've been faster as they most likely had a build available for testing. I would be surprised otherwise.

A guess would be they're able to disable a lot of the error checking that the driver performs. OpenGL has alot of handholding to make sure the app doesn't crash even with undefined behaviour.
Probably that and some specific optimizations for Doom as I doubt it's a OpenGL update for every game out there.

It would be nice if they fix wolfenstein too so I can play it properly on my 390, I'm nowhere near the performance I used to get with my 970 on that one.

OP I just wanted to post to say I'm happy for you.

I saw your frustration and people's dismissal of your issue ITT so I'm glad it's fixed and that you get to enjoy the game now.

You paid good money for the game and good money for your gpu, you are entitled to a working game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No way 270X is comparable to 7950 or 960.

It is only in 7870 ballpark.

Yeah I thought it was the 280X (itself being a slightly souped up 7970Ghz edition ) that traded blows with the 960, with them beating eachother out every other game.

Did you try the VOKS fix?

Oh oh oh, what's this? Are you saying I could get rid of the semi-frequent dips to 30 and keep a stable 60 in TNO? Is such a thing even possible?

Edit: Seems whatever fix he did has been rolled into the game officially, because a dude tried it out in January of this year and it made no changes to his fps. Seems the people who used that fix all suffered from constant 20 FPS :lol. Yeah that's not how bad it was for me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't think so, is that an special fix for amd cards? If the poster above me is correct, the patch has been rolled into the game officialy in january, so I will try it out again tonight.

Well, it's just speculation by the one Steam user with an AMD card who didn't have any framerate difference with or without the modded .exe. That said, they must have fixed the terrible dips to 20 at least, because it was never that bad, even with some small stutters and occasional framedrops it never went below 30ish and mostly it dipped to the high 40s.

But more often than not it could keep a pretty solid 60 on my 280X, your 390 *should* be fine with the game.

Did you try the VOKS fix?

Well, it's just speculation by the one Steam user with an AMD card who didn't have any framerate difference with or without the modded .exe. That said, they must have fixed the terrible dips to 20 at least, because it was never that bad, even with some small stutters and occasional framedrops it never went below 30ish and mostly it dipped to the high 40s.

But more often than not it could keep a pretty solid 60 on my 280X, your 390 *should* be fine with the game.

Well, I'm sorry for keeping the offtopic a bit more but I just wanted to say that I tried Wolfenstein again and it is indeed working a lot better, now I can actually mantain 60fps without them going randomly to 30. I'm still getting some weird screen tearing even though the frames, according to the counter are apparently locked at 60, but I don't care, the game is now completely playable :)

Durante

OP I just wanted to post to say I'm happy for you.

I saw your frustration and people's dismissal of your issue ITT so I'm glad it's fixed and that you get to enjoy the game now.

You paid good money for the game and good money for your gpu, you are entitled to a working game.
He always had a working game. Now he also has a working driver.

I don't think anyone can dispute this after witnessing the effect of the driver update.

jett

D-Member
Is there no way of just installing the new display driver without the rest of AMD's baggage? And is there confirmation that this game now runs well on a 280x?

sfried

Is there no way of just installing the new display driver without the rest of AMD's baggage? And is there confirmation that this game now runs well on a 280x?
Yes. Uninstall all of the driver including Vulkan API, use Display Driver Cleaner, then install the new driver. You will be given options as to what to include in the installation (such as the AMD Gaming App and Vulkan API). Simply uncheck those you don't want.

jett

D-Member
Yes. Uninstall all of the driver including Vulkan API, use Display Driver Cleaner, then install the new driver. You will be given options as to what to include in the installation (such as the AMD Gaming App and Vulkan API). Simply uncheck those you don't want.

I can't uncheck their new Catalyst Control Center.

He always had a working game. Now he also has a working driver.

I don't think anyone can dispute this after witnessing the effect of the driver update.

Obviously I meant the driver in this case (paid good money for his gpu)

Though I'm also of the opinion that a developer shouldn't sell a game before there is a driver that runs it properly.
I'm allergic to corporations trying to pass off responsibility.

Amd didn't have a driver (their fault) , ID decided to sell the game anyhow (middlefinger to consumers), in this case it worked out for OP, usually it does not.

Well, I'm laying in the hospital with acute pancreatic necrosis... I also see people are posting framerate charts as evidence that the game is now fixed like I said would happen...

F me man. I shouldn't have checked up on GAF.

jett

D-Member
Do what now? Assign hotkeys to do what? I think parts of the old CCC still exist in it.

Assign hotkeys for desktop management, to switch between displays, or to extend/arrange displays in a particular way. It's useful for me. You can't do that with Crimson, your previous settings don't work and I've found no options to assign hotkeys for desktop management.

Though I'm also of the opinion that a developer shouldn't sell a game before there is a driver that runs it properly.

Amd didn't have a driver (their fault) , ID decided to sell the game anyhow (middlefinger to consumers), in this case it worked out for OP, usually it does not.

But do we know if it's really their fault? Did id work with AMD at all? When did id make Doom available to them to craft a new driver for it, compared to Nvidia?

Locuza

Looks like AMDs OGL driver had certain optimisations for GCN Gen 3 which are now available for GCN Gen 1 and 2:
pcghdoomeno7h.jpg

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Doom-2016-Spiel-56369/Specials/Benchmark-Test-1195242/

Qassim

If PC gamers had to wait for AMD to release optimised drivers all the time.. well... we'd be looking a lot of standard delays on PC games vs their console releases. I'd say this is all on AMD. NVIDIA manage to get drivers out in far higher volumes for games they don't have any official deals with on time. AMD don't. They're much slower and there's no reason why everyone else should be punished because of AMD's deficiencies.

We obviously don't know the specific circumstances around this game, maybe AMD weren't given enough time, maybe NVIDIA did indeed have privileged access, but it happens all too often for me to believe that there isn't a reasonable element of this that is AMD just not being as quick and efficient at getting this stuff out in time. It was happening back when AMD / ATI had as much as 50% marketshare (when I last bought ATI/AMD cards), and from what I can tell, it's still happening now.

Irobot82

Assign hotkeys for desktop management, to switch between displays, or to extend/arrange displays in a particular way. It's useful for me. You can't do that with Crimson, your previous settings don't work and I've found no options to assign hotkeys for desktop management.

But do we know if it's really their fault? Did id work with AMD at all? When did id make Doom available to them to craft a new driver for it, compared to Nvidia?

I kind of see what you're saying.

Does this Help? I know it isn't simple or anything.

Tame

Im getting around 120fps / Ultra on my 390x with the latest drivers, all is good in the universe.

This saddens me because i'm still hitting the 30 to 60 fps on the new driver at high setting which is highlighting the feeling that my i5 2500 is no longer up to snuff

I am confused. I have an AMD setup and game runs flawlessly at 1080p at Hight-Ultra settings. FPS is over 70 mostly with rare drops to 45-50. I have R9 280, AMD Phenom 1055T and 8 GB RAM. I am on 16.3.2 Crimson driver. Should I even bother to upgrade to whatever beta driver AMD released?

I am confused. I have an AMD setup and game runs flawlessly at 1080p at Hight-Ultra settings. FPS is over 70 mostly with rare drops to 45-50. I have R9 280, AMD Phenom 1055T and 8 GB RAM. I am on 16.3.2 Crimson driver. Should I even bother to upgrade to whatever beta driver AMD released?

If you didn't have problems with screen tearing and micro stuttering before then it should be fine for you and add a couple fps.

But if you had those things before like me then it doesn't fix anything, it just adds a couple fps which frankly is useless in this state.

Woorloog

Banned
The beta driver may cause crashing. I cannot complete Argent Tower with it, and it locked up my entire PC and booted to BIOS once.
Might not happen for you of course, but if you don't have issues, wait for full release of the driver.

Gotta wait for full release i guess... downgraded because i really don't want to risk damage.

Top Bottom