• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poor AMD performance with DOOM.

dogen

What???

Check the 7000 series at the bottom, the 960 doubles de minimum fps of a 7990.

Ah, I guess I got mixed up at some point. So it's a problem with shadow performance on all amd cards.

Zojirushi

What???

1920_u2.jpg

Check the 7000 series at the bottom, the 960 doubles de minimum fps of a 7990.

Yeah there seems to be something in those higher level video settings that absolutely murders AMD performance. Has nobody bothered to find out what it is so far?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's just OpenGL bs like usual, there were similar issues back when The New Order came out, my 280X got everything between 25-95 FPS in that game.

Hell I remember my 5870 had issues with Riddick too, also an OpenGL game.

riflen

It isn't like the game works well on Kepler either.

Can't agree that Kepler in particular has a problem. It's running very well indeed on a 780 Ti here. The benchmarks I've seen don't represent my experience with the game at all. I recorded frame time data for 45 mins of play and average frame rate was over 100 fps. This is at 1920x1080 with shadows and particles set to high and reflections on medium, but everything else maximum.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Duder on reddit claims that a room which ran at 30-40 now sticks to 80-90, doesn't specify settings or GPU, however. Anyone from here chime in? It'd be nice to know the game runs properly when I can afford it :lol. Also wonder if it's Doom specific optimizations or if they've optimized the OpenGL part of their driver, which I had Wolfenstein installed to see :lol, it'd be great if that game ran properly.

Maybe it's the same thing I get with Wolfenstein, I used to play the game just fine with my gtx 970. Now I have an r9 390 and it really is unplayable, I can't get a steady 60fps no matter what option do I change.

On every other game I get better performance than the 970 tho, as expected.

Adry9

Shouldn't it effect all AMD GPU's?

Someone test these new drivers and report back please

"Performance increase by up to 35% on AMD Radeon R9 390 series products in Doom™ versus Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2(1)"

It's now what they say.

"Performance increase by up to 35% on AMD Radeon R9 390 series products in Doom™ versus Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2(1)"

It's now what they say.

It should apply to all GCN 1.1 GPUs, regardless of how it's worded. There's no difference between 200 and 300 series besides clockspeeds.

J3nga

That very first scene when you wake runs as shitty as previously, other areas as well, it seems that fps(60<) has increased in areas where it was higher already and where it was crappy remained crappy, nothing has been fixed in my eyes, atleast it's still nowhere close to 970 performance :/

Adry9

That very first scene when you wake runs as shitty as previously, other areas as well, it seems that fps(60<) has increased in areas where it was higher already and where it was crappy remained crappy, nothing has been fixed in my eyes, atleast it's still nowhere close to 970 performance :/

Amazing. Was looking forward for Polaris but I'm kinda getting tired of this crap. I don't even care if it's AMD's fault or not, it's been happening with their GPUs consistently, next time I make a big investment I know where to put my money.

tuxfool

Banned
The problem stems from the double buffering in the game. The game runs fine for the most part. I put everything on ultra. Unfortunately it dips every so often below just 60, thus if you have vsync enabled frame rate drops to 30.

I just turned off vsync and things run fine.

Irobot82

Amazing. Was looking forward for Polaris but I'm kinda getting tired of this crap. I don't even care if it's AMD's fault or not, it's been happening with their GPUs consistently, next time I make a big investment I know where to put my money.

What consistency? AMD"s been great with drivers for pretty much all year. This is the first big flub I remember.

Adry9

What consistency? AMD"s been great with drivers for pretty much all year. This is the first big flub I remember.

I bought Rise of the Tomb Rider Day 1, by the time AMD released proper drivers for that game I had already finished it.

Tame

Tried the hotfix on my 390x. FPS still bouncing about between 30 to 60.

Now with at added bonus of what seems to be a 1 in 3 chance of being thrown into a rune challenge upon restart at checkpoint or a hard lockup

Can confirm. I am now getting about 30-50fps more so around 140 fps average at all times but then again FPS was never the problem for me. It's the crazy stutter and screen tearing which are still there. But of coarse people are just going to be posting flipping fps charts as proof that it now runs well.

The game also still ignores Crimson Settings and Radeon Pro. Also, setting Vsync in game now tries to lock it at 30fps but it fluctuates...

Again...

wtf-boom-storm-trooper-o.gif

tuxfool

Banned
Tried the hotfix on my 390x. FPS still bouncing about between 30 to 60.

Now with at added bonus of what seems to be a 1 in 3 chance of being thrown into a rune challenge upon restart at checkpoint or a hard lockup

Turn off vsync. Unfortunately triple buffering isn't working (I don't know if it ever will), which means that even if it momentarily dips, you're going to drop to 30.

Personally I'm not seeing any tearing but ymmv.

Has there been any new info on when the vulkan patch will be released? And whenever it does come out, I wonder how big of a performance increase it will have for AMD GPUs.

The Hermit

welp

It may take a while until AMD fixed this, but its actually good for me:

1- it gives me more time for my backlog

2- I´ll buy it cheaper

dyergram

I have a 290 and a bulldozer processor I don't remember which one it's at least two years old. I get 60fps everything on medium v sync on 1080p. I probably would of bought this on ps4 if I hadn't impulse bought it for pc just based on this poor performance people keep telling me about. Maybe I'm just easily pleased.

So vsync still isn't working for you?

Can confirm. I am now getting about 30-50fps more so around 140 fps average at all times but then again FPS was never the problem for me. It's the crazy stutter and screen tearing which are still there. But of coarse people are just going to be posting flipping fps charts as proof that it now runs well.

The game also still ignores Crimson Settings and Radeon Pro. Also, setting Vsync in game now tries to lock it at 30fps but it fluctuates...

Again...

wtf-boom-storm-trooper-o.gif

jett

D-Member
Can you just get the drivers without installing their current version of Catalyst Control Center? Shit's actually worse than the regular CCC.

dogen

Are you not following the thread? I don't care if they keep releasing updates till the flipping framerate is over 9000, if the stuttering and tearing is still there then it's borked.

Verify the game files, do a clean driver install, make sure all driver settings(including radeon pro) are set to application controlled and try vsync in game only. If you really are maintaining 100+ it should work fine. Is anyone else having the issue of vsync locking to 30, when otherwise the framerate is above 100?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can you just get the drivers without installing their current version of Catalyst Control Center? Shit's actually worse than the regular CCC.

AMD only does separate driver downloads for actual driver releases, not hotfixes, annoyingly enough, the past few months have just been hotfix after hotfix pretty much :lol

Are you not following the thread? I don't care if they keep releasing updates till the flipping framerate is over 9000, if the stuttering and tearing is still there then it's borked.

I've got a freesync monitor so can't relate to the tearing you're experiencing. Stuttering I think I've encountered but it's not pronounced or constant enough to complain on my end just yet.

tuxfool

Banned
pretty drastic improvement. im actually able to play at ultra now.

Pretty much what most people say. You may still need to run it with vsync off for the occasion where it might drop down to something like 58 fps, so as to prevent it from locking at 30.

jett

D-Member
If you have to run a game with screen tearing up the wazoo, that game might as well not exist.

AMD only does separate driver downloads for actual driver releases, not hotfixes, annoyingly enough, the past few months have just been hotfix after hotfix pretty much :lol

Man that's stupid. Their new software is complete garbage, all my hotkeys for switching between screens such not only do not work anymore, there is no way for setting them either.

MrFortyFive

I haven't bought a PC game day one since Arkham Knight (or at least a graphically demanding one). I made an exception for this one due to the good beta impressions and my love for the franchise.

...that was not my best choice. My 290 weeps.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So the game still runs like shit on 280X, at least a fellow on reddit with a 7870Ghz edition (which is pretty much the same card) has dips to 30 FPS on Medium settings, shadows on low. At one point he even dipped down to 24 :lol.

God dammit, AMD fix your shit. There's no fucking reason a 280X should dip to 30 FPS constantly on Medium preset when the 960 can pull 30 minimum on the highest possible settings. It just ain't right.

I haven't bought a PC game day one since Arkham Knight (or at least a graphically demanding one). I made an exception for this one due to the good beta impressions and my love for the franchise.

...that was not my best choice. My 290 weeps.

Dude with a 290 said he could run Ultra preset locked to 60 with the new driver, did you try it yet, if not there's still hope for you :p. I just hope the 280X gets there eventually.

Top Bottom