• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yado

Beyonce has 5 good albums with the last 2 being considered excellence among critics. Rihanna has 2 good albums with some good singles in many filler heavy albums. Anti being her masterpiece.

I love both but thats the tea.

YUW5Qlg.gif

Little Mons†er;235839793 said:
Rihanna's discography is better than Beyonce's and that's the T for today

giphy.gif

Rihanna's discography is certainly more varied. Beyonce's managed to consistently outclass her without resorting to radio pandering, though.

Brhoom

Banned
I've been thinking about it...

When Christina, Beyonce, Britney, and many others came into the scene, they mentioned Whitney and Mariah as their inspiration for wanting to be singers.

What will the new generation mention?

"The moment I heard Beyonce's ugly growl I decided to become a singer"

"When Christina's throat began to plead for mercy I knew that this is what I wanted to do"

The bar for vocals has not been raised since Mariah came into the scene

tenor.gif

MANUELF

Banned

When Christina, Beyonce, Britney, and many others came into the scene, they mentioned Whitney and Mariah as their inspiration for wanting to be singers.

tenor.gif
The only one would be Adele and she already made her impact

"The moment I heard Beyonce's ugly growl I decided to become a singer"

"When Christina's throat began to plead for mercy I knew that this is what I wanted to do"

tenor.gif
Not sadder than what became of Mariah the last 7-10 years.

rhandino

Banned
Not sadder than what became of Mariah the last 7-10 years.

-> Flop mainline album

-> Flop compilation album with an even more flop lead single

-> Flop reality show

-> Flop new year performance that basically dragged her legacy trough the mud

tenor.gif

I love Mimi and everything she has done in the past but she doesn't seem to care anymore =/

DOWN

Banned
Every single Selena Gomez song is wasted on her voice. Every single one would sound better by Ariana or Katy or Demi

I honestly was so frustrated when I saw Come & Get It because it is one of the most beautiful videos ever and yet it got wasted on Selena.

I like her a lot but she just is a Hailee Stienfeld tier vocalist

WonderzL

Banned
I have to admit that I use We Don't Talk Anymore and I don't think Ariana would be better than ha on that, even tho I stan Ariana

DOWN

Banned
I have to admit that I use We Don't Talk Anymore and I don't think Ariana would be better than ha on that, even tho I stan Ariana
Disagree

Selena strains all the time and sounds like she is talking in a lot of notes because she has no range

Vazduh

Every single Selena Gomez song is wasted on her voice. Every single one would sound better by Ariana or Katy or Demi

I honestly was so frustrated when I saw Come & Get It because it is one of the most beautiful videos ever and yet it got wasted on Selena.

I like her a lot but she just is a Hailee Stienfeld tier vocalist

Most definitely, but for me it's Hailee > Selena, at least when it comes to ~vocal range~, although Hailee's not that great either. I think Hilary Duff (also a terrible singer) and Selena are similar in that regard, both have some solid songs they shouldn't have gotten lol

Vazduh

She sure is. I hate that she got some good bops, like Cum and Get It or Love You Like a Love Song.

Same goes for Hilary. Sparks is legit good, as well as All About You. I use With Love, too :SSSSSSSSSSSSS

I even liked Cum Clean back in the day
tumblr_inline_op33ocv70g1tyu7tl_540.gif

Decarabia

Last week's poll results weren't unanimous, but in any case, the first-ever thematic Bop of the Week is here!

iY91UKdl.png

It's pretty much the same shit as usual, except this time I wanted to take advantage of PopGAF posters' different cultural backgrounds. So, I'd like you to pick a song from an artist local to your country. Ideally, this should mean you pick an artist with the same nationality as you, but I don't want to be particularly strict. Hopefully, everyone will find some new international bops from unexpected places.

Vote here!

WonderzL

Banned
Last week's poll results weren't unanimous, but in any case, the first-ever thematic Bop of the Week is here!

iY91UKdl.png

It's pretty much the same shit as usual, except this time I wanted to take advantage of PopGAF posters' different cultural backgrounds. So, I'd like you to pick a song from an artist local to your country. Ideally, this should mean you pick an artist with the same nationality as you, but I don't want to be particularly strict. Hopefully, everyone will find some new international bops from unexpected places.

Vote here!

let's go

Meowster

Little Mons†er;235839793 said:
Rihanna's discography is better than Beyonce's and that's the T for today

giphy.gif
Singles maybe but Rihanna's albums sucked until the past couple of years. Beyoncé has her best in the album department - though I will give her credit and say that ANTi is probably better than all of Beyoncé's albums other than her two most recent.

MANUELF

Banned

iY91UKdl.png

Vote here!
Thalía - No Me Enseñaste

Didn't know twerking was on the same level as calling someone the N word, but anything to make Taylor look bad
Right, right, let's ignore the rest of the video and her attire and that's not even mentioning the Wildest Dreams video. I just find it funny how you're invoking social justice and "your fave is problematic" type of shit when you're not even serious about it and are just using actual issues that minorities face to get a quick little Zing! on a message board. It's just hard for me to see it as genuine when it's coming from the stans of the woman who can't be bothered to say anything about the state of America at all despite having huge influence.

Though I guess it's fitting that Taylor stans would see social justice as just another way to prop up their PR machine fave.
3vHkjnGxQtLJC.gif

Phreaker

I got a Switch y'all! My first Nintendo device since Gamecube.

juCfmgt.gif

Well I got Zelda, Mario Kart and a Pro Controller. The unit is shipping, but on it's way!

Eyes so bright
You got a hold of me the whole damn night
I toss and turn but still I can't sleep right
I should've asked you to stay, begged you to stay

But when I get right next to you
I hear this heart beat break in two
I feel the earthquake in the room and so I pray
Fall into me and then

Hs9KXHL.gif

PInk Tape

Banned
Kpop takes on 80s music is always so good. They manage to get the throwback soundscape and not feel dated or cheesy (some of the music videos can be quite cheesy though)

Wonder Girls - I feel you
After School - Shh
KARA - Mamma Mia
Dal Shabet - Someone like U
BESTie - Love Options
9Muses - News
4Ten - Severly
Snuper - Back:Hug
Infinite - Be Mine
Romeo - Lovesick
Edit: For some reason I forgot AOA's - 10 seconds, I know some of you bop to it.

RT. These are all amazing tbh.

4QoMF2Y.gif

llehuty

Bless Pink Tape ^^^

I was looking for some spanish classics for this week's poll and bumped into this:

Nena Daconte - Tenía tanto que darte
(I had so much to give you)

Spanish and English lyrics

At first glance, you can think it's just a cute breakup song, but it's actually
about a miscarriage the singer had :(

MARLENE - Next To Me (video)

The video is practically a non-event, but the song is A-grade Swe-pop. Perfect for this late spring weather.

4QoMF2Y.gif
Hours later edit:lol, quoted thisand forgot to left the commentary, this is gooood.

There's something I really like in the echo and beat of Bon Appétit. But it just isn't enough to make it a good song.

Anyway, I like it 10 times better than Chained to the Rhythm.

Frodo

There's something I really like in the echo and beat of Bon Appétit. But it just isn't enough to make it a good song.

Anyway, I like it 10 times better than Chained to the Rhythm.

I like the production of both songs, but find the lyrics and the vocal delivery sub-par. There is this lack of rhythm in the melodies and rhymes of both songs which I find unpleasant at points.

I like the production of both songs, but find the lyrics and the vocal delivery sub-par. There is this lack of rhythm in the melodies and rhymes of both songs which I find unpleasant at points.
Agreed. When the music from Chained to the Rhythm begins with the muffled disco beat, you expect a pretty groovy song. But it's not. The most off putting thing about the song are the lyrics and the way they are sung. I'm someone who actually doesn't give much attention to lyrics normally, but here I just can't ignore it. They don't flow at all, completely shoehorned into the music. Distorti-uuuh-uuuh-uhm....... Waisted zoo-om--bie! ... Eh...

Frodo

Onika looked great tho.

Rihanna's dress was awful. The only saving grace was Rihanna herself is incredibly pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom