• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Maybe funny like 10 years ago when no one cared about mental health. Then again I thought it was funny but I was like 11 or 12 something.

Edit: Also South Park totally called Miley Cyrus's freak out

Meowster

Perfect Illusion aged like fine wine.

u23xq.gif

DOWN

Banned
I hate her inflection on Perfect Illusion so that track is not for me

Sounds like she recorded it back to back with a cover of The Monster Mash

Perfect illooshun is ruined by the key change coming way too early. It would have made for an exhilarating last 20 seconds but instead the song just drags on going nowhere.

SKnHA6U.gif

I remember being really put off by PI when it first aired at midnight because 1) it was really short, 2) it lacked any hard-hitting trademark Gaga hooks, and 3) it's super repetitive. Listened to it a second time when I got home and liked it a lot. I guess I was anticipating a Bad Romance/Pokerface retread and instead got like new wave Pat Benatar. I feel like pop songs rarely ever outdo the hype though. I was let down by Lemonade on first listen too, and I distinctly remember calling Applause an "MDNA B-Side" when I first heard it. :/

I just want shit to drop on iTunes randomly so that we can appreciate it for what it is. That John Wayne video was great because we weren't expecting it. If she hyped it up prior or announced the director I probably would have ended up a little let down by how short and spazzy it was.

DOWN

Banned
How is it that Beyonce wins all the community awards, but we hardly ever talk about her?
She's pretty private outside of her work and she doesn't do as many public interviews and party attendance to provide GIFs. And she's not really struggling for attention. Everybody is aware of her projects.

Lol the ATRL monsters started trolling when they saw that initial 45k prediction too. Fucking karma

Lady Gaga is a wonderful person but her stanbase is largely putrid. She deserves better

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The best part of the song is those whispers over the bridge though.
I think they should have made that way stronger. I honestly just heard that the first time today after I gave Joanne my first listen since it released.
I remember I was shook because it sounded like a slay but then she just started saying "Perfect Illusion" in various ways for the rest of the song

SKnHA6U.gif
Pretty much this.
I wouldn't be surprised. Katy Kats are SHOOK.
Not really...it will be a solid single, not sure if it will hit No. 1, but it's possible.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
You all are speaking my mind about "Perfect Illusion," especially those talking about the extra vocals in the last third of the song, the off-putting premature key change, and the repetition. I think it had the potential to be great, but it feels like a draft that didn't get its final needed rewrite.

EDIT: This Josh Groban teaser of a new Beauty and the Beast song.... Not sounding good to me...

Vazduh

I don't think anyone would have been so harsh on Gaga had it not been:

a) the lead single
b) written/produced by the usually creative, talented team (Bloodpop, Ronson, Parker)

Like... how the hell does one fuck up THAT? But she proved it was possible.

It was amusing to read all the comments praising the key change as something innovative, though. If that's innovative, what's Eurovision Song Contest, then? Even the shittiest of songs have the key change as the most common element.

I think it just needs a post-chorus hook. That would space out the repetitions and at least make the key change feel a little bit earned. lol

I will say it's definitely one of her more experimental productions just as far as song structures go. She tends to stay in her lane with the verse-prechorus-chorus-postchorus format.

rhandino

Banned
It was amusing to read all the comments praising the key change as something innovative, though. If that's innovative, what's Eurovision Song Contest, then? Even the shittiest of songs have the key change as the most common element.

Madeon ✔ @madeon
The new @ladygaga song is crazy amazing and that key change is the bravest/coolest move i've heard in a pop song forever

robbingham @robbingham
The new Lady Gaga song ensures that every pop song for the next two years will have a key change.

Irene Reyes @irene90zkid
Lady Gaga put a key change in Perfect Illusion. SHE PUT A BIG KEY CHANGE IN A POP SONG. IN TODAY'S MUSICAL LANDSCAPE. 😭😱😭

Yeah

SKnHA6U.gif

The key change is really nice but it deserves more of a song

Can't believe she flubbed the first single. Although considering what followed, maybe it's not a surprise. 🌝

llehuty

Didn't you know Lady Gaga invented key changes?

If anything, we should praise their PR team for spinning a key change as a revolutionary concept.

The Flop

Banned
I think they should have made that way stronger. I honestly just heard that the first time today after I gave Joanne my first listen since it released.

Pretty much this.

Not really...it will be a solid single, not sure if it will hit No. 1, but it's possible.

After 4 years, it's a flop for her standards.

"robbingham @robbingham
The new Lady Gaga song ensures that every pop song for the next two years will have a key change."

How did that turn out

SKnHA6U.gif

Brhoom

Banned
How is it that Beyonce wins all the community awards, but we hardly ever talk about her?

What is there to talk about? Her PR team is tight and she doesn't do interviews.

I'm in love with Mariah's I Don't. I love this Mariah

I might be the only stan that likes the ballad Mariah. No one can writes
or sings
a ballad like Mariah does.

She wrote a song called Alone in Love when she was 15. That song is in her first album, I'd buy a ticket to her show right now if she says she will perform it.

What does that has to do with anything?

Because your fave is degraded to a vegas stage that the media doesn't even check for, she can barely hold a tune and dance decades later in her career (ironically being the same age of Beyoncé) which makes any Stan of hers coming from someone who is doing the exact opposite, pretty much unworthy of calling anyone boring.

But you are open to having opinions even if wrong so yeah. However there's not much to talk about when it comes to Beyoncé anyways which is something I tend to like because at least she isn't over exposed by anything of her purposeful doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom