• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Flop

Banned
Mau ®;244752354 said:
Females are over?

Taylor and Rihanna still reign supreme. It sucks your faves didn't invest in the straight demographic when they had the chance but blame that on their lack of foresight.

Let them know.

Ariana is still relevant too and Nicki.

Edit Top of the Page: Buy "Down" by Fifth Harmony, and make sure to get their self titled album on 8.25

tumblr_or8dh1T1n21um446qo2_500.gif

EDIT 2: Why am I just noticing that it looks like Ally is spreading her cheeks.

rhandino

Banned
I mean, what else she can do? She is not sexy, talented or charismatic so making such a display of vulgarity is the only chance she has to be noticed and get some attention and even then she fails because nobody knows her.

Slay those brazilian festival concerts, I guess.

h6B4EsY.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Mau ®;244752354 said:
Females are over?

Taylor and Rihanna still reign supreme. It sucks your faves didn't invest in the straight demographic when they had the chance but blame that on their lack of foresight.
It's really bizarre. If Taylor flops, I'm calling it a conspiracy.

Mau ®;244752354 said:
Females are over?

I mean my "female truly are ovah!" Comment Was tongue in cheek but take it literally I guess

4MJLD_s-200x150.gif

Anyways my fave has had an excellent groundbreaking 2017 and looks set to continue iT so slay

It's really bizarre. If Taylor flops, I'm calling it a conspiracy.

Authenticity is in. Sad to say it, but women in pop have had to leverage musicianship with misogynistic expectations at the same time, and it's precisely why it's taken several album cycles for these pop stars to come into their own musically. It took Beyoncé more than a decade. Rihanna finally did it last year. Gaga found it early but lost most of her audience in the process. Adele is thriving for the same reason Katy Perry isn't.

So it's not so much a bias against women for being women, but rather the business of being a woman in pop involves layers of artifice that men just don't have to deal with, and artifice is out in 2017.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Little Mons†er;244790589 said:
I really don't get people's obsession with hating on PopGAF gifs and derailing the thread because of it? As if the shitty gifs the Str8s use like that annoying guy looking at a computer screen and leaning back is any better

Because when they're pervasivelu used elsewhere on the site it often leads to derails, shitposts, and other nonsense? This is not a hard concept.

Because when they're pervasivelu used elsewhere on the site it often leads to derails, shitposts, and other nonsense? This is not a hard concept.
Every ARMS thread is that stupid tweet about butts saving Nintendo, every stability thread is gifs of someone kicking a PS4 and it doesn't fall over, naughty gods etc.

You are absolutely correct in that posts that are intentionally abrasive or attempts to derail or troll aren't appreciated. But not every popgaf post is that, yet it feels like every popgaf post that leaks out of this thread is treated as such. The actual tone of popgaf posts are rarely considered.

I'm not talking about that Lights and Waves post, which is probably covered by the above. More the sentiment from some mods which is "ugh popgaf outside popgaf get rid of it now".

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not talking about that Lights and Waves post, which is probably covered by the above. More the sentiment from some mods which is "ugh popgaf outside popgaf get rid of it now".

Because it's extremely annoying. When someone tells you you're being annoying, it's truly anti-social and bizarre to reply with "What if I'm not being annoying and you're wrong?" If this sounds condescending to you it's probably because this is literally the kind of thing teachers explain to 8 year olds. This might be a slight improvement from when you went with "But teacher, Timmy's talking too" earlier, which is the kind of thing teachers explain to 6 year olds.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
This sites continued willingness to isolate the "popgaf gif", out of the ocean trash that is posted, for contempt has always come off as dog whistle homophobia to me
giphy.gif

Because it's extremely annoying. When someone tells you you're being annoying, it's truly anti-social and bizarre to reply with "What if I'm not being annoying and you're wrong?" If this sounds condescending to you it's probably because this is literally the kind of thing teachers explain to 8 year olds. This might be a slight improvement from when you went with "But teacher, Timmy's talking too" earlier, which is the kind of thing teachers explain to 6 year olds.
It doesn't sound like that because I don't agree with what you're saying. It is bizarre to me that popgaf posts are consistently singled out by moderation, and when other posters complain about the merest mention of popgaf I don't think mods should be piling in and encouraging the idea that "popgaf bashing" is okay. It just makes it feel like popgaf - in any form - is something nobody really wants here.

Again, this isn't specific to Lights and Waves post. But during E3 of all times popgaf users have previously been told off for posting a popgaf gif in a hype thread, which are typically full of "low quality" posts regardless.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It doesn't sound like that because I don't agree with what you're saying.

Sorry, again, I know that this is condescending, but when you are having an interaction with another human being, it actually matters more what they think of your behaviour than what you think of you behaviour. Another example of this is if, for example, you do something to hurt someone, and they say "Wow, that hurt me", it actually doesn't matter whether you think it hurt them or not.

It is bizarre to me that popgaf posts are consistently singled out by moderation, and when other posters complain about the merest mention of popgaf I don't think mods should be piling in and encouraging the idea that "popgaf bashing" is okay. It just makes it feel like popgaf - in any form - is something nobody really wants here.

It is not my job to help build up your self confidence. GIF spam is annoying. Knock it off. POP-GAF GIF spam is one category of GIF spam. It is not your job to worry about whether or not everyone else who is being every other kind of annoying is similarly being warned or punished. You have control over your own behaviour. What's appropriate in here -- in a community where everyone is in on the act and enjoying it -- is not necessarily appropriate somewhere else.

Again, this isn't specific to Lights and Waves post. But during E3 of all times popgaf users have previously been told off for posting a popgaf gif in a hype thread, which are typically full of "low quality" posts regardless.

I think with a little self awareness, "Wait, everyone is being annoying, but I'm apparently being so annoying that I'm the one that got most noticed?" would lead to "Wow, I must really be annoying" instead of "That's unfair, I think other people should get in trouble."

Majmun

It's clear that Neogaf isn't a fan of popmusic or other hip stuff in general.

This board is more about waifu animes, basement dweller gamers and social autism "I hate everything".

But that has its charm as well!
salQM78.gif

Agram

GIF spam is annoying. Knock it off. POP-GAF GIF spam is one category of GIF spam. It is not your job to worry about whether or not everyone else who is being every other kind of annoying is similarly being warned or punished. You have control over your own behaviour. What's appropriate in here -- in a community where everyone is in on the act and enjoying it -- is not necessarily appropriate somewhere else.
Please link me a thread with POPGAF gif spamming.
The thing is, mods made those gifs basically a crime and one is enough for all the people to comment "I hate POPGAF, mods will lock this and ban you..."
They are just gifs for God's sake.

And as Garrett said, many threads have gif spamming, so far I haven't seen a single mod comment in PS4 update threads about 5 pages of gifs only.

Neptune

No one has trouble understanding the idea that GIF-spam can be annoying, although the threshold for what is considered "spam" must be really low if two of them in an OP are enough to trigger all these fragile posters and moderators. The real mystery is what specifically makes GIFs of New York, Mariah Carey or black YouTubers more "annoying" than GIFs of Antonio Banderas, Drew Scanlon or wrestlers, which you see posted far more frequently yet without ever being called out in the same way. Is it racism, homophobia, misogyny or all of the above? Stay tuned for more straight white mansplaining!

I agree with the above.

I've stated multiple times that I am not talking about excessive snark or gif spamming, but the context in which "normal gaffers" use them. Which is seemingly not ok re: popgifs.

Let's try this is in a kinder manner.

We have a number of long-running communities within NeoGAF that have their own culture. PopGAF, Black Culture Thread, COMICS!!, etc. There are certain things that we allow within the confines of those community threads that sometimes get out of hand when expressed within other threads.

As examples, KPop Fanperson is largely a thread of very large scale idol pictures and GIFs. Overwatch fan art has its own thread for a reason. The Dead or Alive Xtreme thread treads in dark directions. We have in the past, asked Black Culture Thread to refrain from descending en masse into certain threads. This is before we get into specific injokes and ideas from within those threads and others like them that don't really make much sense to the forums as a whole.

We frown on the large scale GIF spam outside of its intended community. For better or for worse, Antonio Banderas, Slow Nod guy, and Scanlon are a part of the general Gaming side community. Even then, a page of Antonio GIFs back-to-back is generally frowned upon. Do we always catch them? No, especially during a busy time like E3. But if we see them, we try to steer the thread back to something approaching a normal.

I love GIFs, which is clear from my general posting style. But I also understand that GIFs can contribute to problems in some threads, so we prefer to lean away from GIF spamming period. Whether through actual actions or sheer perception, PopGAF is one of the those communities whose specific conduct presents a problem when expressed outside of its specific thread. The fear outside of PopGAF is the beginning of one "PopGAF" GIF leads to a slew of GIFs from the same community; I haven't been a mod or paying attention enough to know if that reputation is earned, but that's the general view of the forum, hence the pushback you get even from the semi-regular poster. Given the widespread nature of the sentiment, which I barely knew about, I gather the stigma is in some cases earned.

Which is to say, it's less about the content, and more what folks and some moderators fear that content represents: an oncoming storm of similar GIFs. I understand if that makes the community feel put upon, but that's what the other mods are trying to get at.

If you notice large-scale GIF spam elsewhere, please report it and we'll step in.

EDIT: Discussing this in a manner akin to Garrett is probably a better choice than some other options.

Policing of "PopGaf" gifs, even though this community hasn't been relevant for years (no offense), boils down to nothing more than dogwhistle homophobia targeting gay internet culture. If you really would like to use a gif to spice up a post, there are plenty of gifs of straight acting white men you can use so as to not draw attention to your obvious faggotry! Take care.

Brhoom

Banned

Do you guys ever feel bored of music? sometimes I could spend a month not listening to anything, maybe five songs at most.

Yado

Let's try this is in a kinder manner.

We have a number of long-running communities within NeoGAF that have their own culture. PopGAF, Black Culture Thread, COMICS!!, etc. There are certain things that we allow within the confines of those community threads that sometimes get out of hand when expressed within other threads.

As examples, KPop Fanperson is largely a thread of very large scale idol pictures and GIFs. Overwatch fan art has its own thread for a reason. The Dead or Alive Xtreme thread treads in dark directions. We have in the past, asked Black Culture Thread to refrain from descending en masse into certain threads. This is before we get into specific injokes and ideas from within those threads and others like them that don't really make much sense to the forums as a whole.

We frown on the large scale GIF spam outside of its intended community. For better or for worse, Antonio Banderas, Slow Nod guy, and Scanlon are a part of the general Gaming side community. Even then, a page of Antonio GIFs back-to-back is generally frowned upon. Do we always catch them? No, especially during a busy time like E3. But if we see them, we try to steer the thread back to something approaching a normal.

I love GIFs, which is clear from my general posting style. But I also understand that GIFs can contribute to problems in some threads, so we prefer to lean away from GIF spamming period. Whether through actual actions or sheer perception, PopGAF is one of the those communities whose specific conduct presents a problem when expressed outside of its specific thread. The fear outside of PopGAF is the beginning of one "PopGAF" GIF leads to a slew of GIFs from the same community; I haven't been a mod or paying attention enough to know if that reputation is earned, but that's the general view of the forum, hence the pushback you get even from the semi-regular poster. Given the widespread nature of the sentiment, which I barely knew about, I gather the stigma is in some cases earned.

Which is to say, it's less about the content, and more what folks and some moderators fear that content represents: an oncoming storm of similar GIFs. I understand if that makes the community feel put upon, but that's what the other mods are trying to get at.

If you notice large-scale GIF spam elsewhere, please report it and we'll step in.

EDIT: Discussing this in a manner akin to Garrett is probably a better choice than some other options.

Do you actually see popgaffers going into threads and spamming them with GIFs?

botty

Banned
i wouldn't be surprised if most of those anti-pop gaf posts were indeed veiled homophobia... knowing the history this site has with harboring bigots re: gamer gate, etc.

I mean, a former mod is a convicted pedophile.... who knows what kinds of other people are creeping around. :soda:

Brhoom

Banned
i wouldn't be surprised if most of those anti-pop gaf posts were indeed veiled homophobia... knowing the history this site has with harboring bigots re: gamer gate, etc.

I mean, a former mod is a convicted pedophile.... who knows what kinds of other people are creeping around. :soda:

So that's why I keep seeing these Youtube commenets about Neogaf then.

Aeana

As someone who has had their privacy invaded by and is continually harassed off-site by gamer gaters, I just want to say: fuck this. And I don't even have it nearly as bad as some of the other people on staff. Suggesting that any GG crap is harbored here on purpose is completely insane and offensive.

WonderzL

Banned
I can totally agree with the sentiment that hate towards PopGAF's behaviour is very closely linked to LGBTphobia since we are, majorly, LGBT folk and we use our own language - and this seems to be a problem when heterosexual people using theirs is not.

HOWEVER, GG is not harvested in this website. Not at all. Any connection to GG is instantly reported and questioned.

botty

Banned
As someone who has had their privacy invaded by and is continually harassed off-site by gamer gaters, I just want to say: fuck this. And I don't even have it nearly as bad as some of the other people on staff. Suggesting that any GG crap is harbored here on purpose is completely insane and offensive.

Maybe harboring is the wrong word choice, but I do recall at least 100 accounts being permanently banned during the height of gamer gate. Maybe this is just a byproduct of being a home for male gamers in general.

Brhoom

Banned

He worded it wrong. I think he means that a lot of users showed their true colors when GamerGate happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom