• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah sorry, as a (young) queer person who's familiar with Popgaf and twitter GIFs I think the idea of these GIFs being queer culture is ridiculous. It's an internet fad that's gonna fade away in few years.

Sure, a lot of GIFs are not only awesome but they perfectly fit and complement some of my online conversations with friends (Whatsapp/Twitter), but overusing them or posting ones that don't even make sense in the context is just annoying and NOT funny. The funniest memes become annoying if they're overused/used in the wrong context. Screaming "Homophobia!" here is just what a twitter edgelord would do. Give me a break.

Keep this up and I'm sure the mods will shut this whole community down for good. This is like the third warning & banning massacre this year.

Meowster

nah it's gay culture judging by twitter and every single website i go to that has a predominantly gay user base.

but enough about that, let's talk about how Lana and Lorde both won 2017.

Frodo

Not sure about Lana, but 2017 has been amazing for music. That's for sure. The last month alone was awesome for new releases.

I can understand to not like gif usage but to pretend it's not a part of gay internet culture is disingenuous to say the least.

Gif usage in gay internet culture is a part of expression and can be used to convey a thought without even having to put words to it. It's not something that can be easily understood to those outside of it or in the sunken place but it's a real thing.

Now on to new music, If taylor releases this year then she will sell big.

It's hard to say who won this year yet when it's far from over.

Nah sorry, as a (young) queer person who's familiar with Popgaf and twitter GIFs I think the idea of these GIFs being queer culture is ridiculous. It's an internet fad that's gonna fade away in few years.

Sure, a lot of GIFs are not only awesome but they perfectly fit and complement some of my online conversations with friends (Whatsapp/Twitter), but overusing them or posting ones that don't even make sense in the context is just annoying and NOT funny. The funniest memes become annoying if they're overused/used in the wrong context. Screaming "Homophobia!" here is just what a twitter edgelord would do. Give me a break.

Keep this up and I'm sure the mods will shut this whole community down for good. This is like the third warning & banning massacre this year.
Yawn, you don't really say much here. What's even more funny is that you ended your initial post with "shesreachingyourhonor.gif" so why are you even arguing? I want you to link examples of times a popgaf member has posted the same gif over and over again in a single post, and don't say you don't need to since you're so familiar and in-tune with popgaf sis.

Ahasverus

These last two pages...

tenor.gif

Gurls, remember pop, POP

#Pray4POPgaf.

WonderzL

Banned
When even LGBT politics is attached to our gifs and memes, you know it turned into part of your language. And language is part of our identity as a community. Is all.

Bordieu said:
"It has been many times noted that both in social perception and in language, masculinity shows itself as something unmarked, neutral to some extent, in opposition to femininity, which is explicitly characterized."

BTW I'm currently eating crow. Lana's LFL is amazing. Good bye

EucIfYY.gif

Common, shared social media behaviour of gays = gay culture.

llehuty

rhandino
Banned
(Yesterday, 08:10 PM)

7ce0abcbaf92454a0c166060025c3a4c75c99af8_hq.gif

Let's turn the mood around if we can. Get into some summer uplifting kpop.

Red Velvet - Red Flavor
A BOP in capital letters. The way it grabs you from the second one and doesn't let go for a second. The climax bridge is also the perfect touch.

KARD - Hola Hola M/V
This coed group is jusT. Everything just works.

G.Soul - Tequila (Feat. Hoody)
Trendy low key jam. Could be a hit if it was in english.

Snuper - The star of stars
This group is a guilty pleasure of my, with their constant nods at the sounds of the 80s.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I don't even know if I want to listen to Fergie. It's been 10 years since the Duchess. She should have accepted LA Love as what it was and tried to get back into the market. Plus she is still trying to make poppy pop music. If she had tried something more "mature," I think she could have done well, or as best as she could have. I don't know...I just don't know.

Decarabia

I don't even know if I want to listen to Fergie. It's been 10 years since the Duchess. She should have accepted LA Love as what it was and tried to get back into the market. Plus she is still trying to make poppy pop music. If she had tried something more "mature," I think she could have done well, or as best as she could have. I don't know...I just don't know.
I mean...working with shit.i.am in 2017? She kinda deserves to flop.

Sending a PM to moderation staff is akin to telling your local LGTB support club to mail a letter to city hall rather than marching on the streets.

Granted, comparing systemic social issues to whatever transpires in this forum is UNFAIR to the former, but the parallels are interesting. There IS a clear pattern of heterosexual white male culture being easily digested while anything that falls under queer categories (and these "types" of GIFs are queer culture) is ridiculed and mocked – to the extent that the solution is often to silence queer culture in favour of appeasing the frothing hegemonic mob whose brains seemingly can't comprehend visual stimuli outside of a wrestling gif and CHOOSE to unilaterally lash out by posting a cascade of "lol popgaf" and another assorted keyboard spam. It's transparent.

But thanks for listening to your few LGTB and POC members slightly better than cesspits like reddit, I guess.

SAY. IT.

I've seen plenty of threads where the Antonio Banderas or Chris Evans laughing gifs are spammed to the high heavens. But a few gifs of a queer man are suddenly a community taking over a thread. It's funny how a post calling Qaadir Howard a 'fake lady' was never reprimanded the same way...

z1zVVd6.gif

rhandino
Banned
(Yesterday, 08:10 PM)

Ah nooooo

tenor.gif

Carly Rae has to save this thread right now with an album.

Also, seeing Solange play songs from "A Seat at the Table" live boosted my opinion of the album. She's such an amazing live performer and her set gave me goosebumps. It was amazing.

MANUELF

Banned
Sending a PM to moderation staff is akin to telling your local LGTB support club to mail a letter to city hall rather than marching on the streets.

Granted, comparing systemic social issues to whatever transpires in this forum is UNFAIR to the former, but the parallels are interesting. There IS a clear pattern of heterosexual white male culture being easily digested while anything that falls under queer categories (and these "types" of GIFs are queer culture) is ridiculed and mocked – to the extent that the solution is often to silence queer culture in favour of appeasing the frothing hegemonic mob whose brains seemingly can't comprehend visual stimuli outside of a wrestling gif and CHOOSE to unilaterally lash out by posting a cascade of "lol popgaf" and another assorted keyboard spam. It's transparent.

But thanks for listening to your few LGTB and POC members slightly better than cesspits like reddit, I guess.

In honor of the fallen sister I added this post to the OP

If these are the final moments I just want to say BUY LUST FOR LIFE ON ITUNES AND GOOGLE PLAY TODAY

XTAlR0n_d.jpg

STREAM THE NEW CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED ALBUM BY LANA DEL REY "LUST FOR LIFE" ON SPOTIFY AND APPLE MUSIC TODAY

4OylfrZ_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom