• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Basically him raising a white flag.

Ummm...not at all. Sit.

I agree with Mumei's overall point about feminism having a rocky road to travel between where it wants to be and what the structural realities are and knowing when to compromise between the two. I disagree with how he applied that point to Beyonce. I think she's compromised to the point where she's garnered some deserved criticism, and I don't think the level to which she's compromised herself indicates the level any female has to compromise to reach an admirable level of success.

I just didn't feel like continuing the argument, because I do understand his overall position and I've already wasted my day off writing pages worth of responses on this topic.

Rest assured, Beyonce's era hasn't even started yet. We'll likely be arguing this again, and soon.

Trigger

It's never too late to finish one's education. I sorta wonder what Rih would be doing in an alternate universe where she wasn't a popstar.

botty

Banned
I really don't get why some Little monsters hate The Fame. It's such a cohesive album, and arguably a thesis on all things "Fame." The meta aspect of the songs like "Paparazzi" and "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" are really smart, while also balancing the fact that they are good songs. The album does contain some random songs like: "Eh, Eh," "LoveGame," and "I Like it Rough," but two out of those three songs are great despite the randomness of their inclusions.

Born This Way as an album is far more random, and a lot more... pretentious... than anything on The Fame. The album is called "Born This Way" and really only has about two or three songs that reflect the message the title employs. There are some bops on BTW, but none of them necessarily empower me... then again I am probably not the target audience.

So, as it stands for me: The Fame/Monster > Shame This Way.

izwQDZPdx1Pw7.gif

Bladenic

I really don't get why some Little monsters hate The Fame. It's such a cohesive album, and arguably a thesis on all things "Fame." The meta aspect of the songs like "Paparazzi" and "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" are really smart, while also balancing the fact that they are good songs. The album does contain some random songs like: "Eh, Eh," "LoveGame," and "I Like it Rough," but two out of those three songs are great despite the randomness of their inclusions.

Born This Way as an album is far more random, and a lot more... pretentious... than anything on The Fame. The album is called "Born This Way" and really only has about two or three songs that reflect the message the title employs. There are some bops on BTW, but none of them necessarily empower me... then again I am probably not the target audience.

So, as it stands for me: The Fame/Monster > Shamed This Way.

izwQDZPdx1Pw7.gif

Fixed, and correct. Flawless post as per.

e18.gif

Fey

Banned

izwQDZPdx1Pw7.gif

agree but

tumblr_mdptegpALI1rrc78e.gif

which two are great?

moulels

ic9LSm7PmtZlf.gif

obviously it has some iconic songs, its a Gaga album after all
but her output after shits on the whole album that it is emberrasing and shameful

Yes, drag. The Lame is completely forgettable outside the main singles, which are immaculate. Born This Godly is a pretentious hot mess that works from beggining to end *o*. Lawd let me bop.

The Fame is everything people WANT from Gaga.

Musically? Bye
tumblr_m3kqgkSzSP1qe2rrbo2_250.gif

but yeah TFM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree to this (except So Shitty I'm Dying)
franziska-tisk(b).gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

izwQDZPdx1Pw7.gif

Born This Way has about 4 empowering songs which is all you basically need really, and the album's title and theme is more of reflection on Gaga on how she was born, what she has been through and how constantly she tries to push herself. From Marry The Night that portrays her hardships, to You&I/Judas that deal with her relationships, to her ambiguity of doing something different such as Bloody Mary. You can say its random sure, but that is Gaga in a nutshell, you dont know what she going to come up with next and the album shows that. It is loud, it is pretentious, and it tries to do more than it succeeds at, it is Gaga and it works, she was born that way

Also I consider Government Hooker to be an empowering anthem so that's 5, it could be 6 since Americano deals with gay/immigration issues

iblBd0bBYSIyhR.gif

The thing about ATRL I don't get is the random setup they have.

Charts: Makes sense
Video's: Ok I get this one too. Though lots of news posted via video.
Music News: There is no news in this forum. Its just a bunch of random threads about specific songs and albums
Celebria: So talking about non music celebs right? Wrong. It does have general celeb discussion but it overlaps massively with the other forums.
Base: Essentially all voting games, polls, and then artist specific threads (like One Direction OT). Not sure what the first two have to do with "base".

Some other stupid ones as well. Games, Your Top 10, Blogs, Lounge......

At the end of the day what it boils down to is that you have to keep clicking through all these lame sub forums to keep up on news. This is complicated by pathetic lag that makes everything take way too long.

Its a mess.

Born This Way has about 4 empowering songs which is all you basically need really, and the album's title and theme is more of reflection on Gaga on how she was born, what she has been through and how constantly she tries to push herself. From Marry The Night that portrays her hardships, to You&I/Judas that deal with her relationships, to her ambiguity of doing something different such as Bloody Mary. You can say its random sure, but that is Gaga in a nutshell, you dont know what she going to come up with next and the album shows that. It is loud, it is pretentious, and it tries to do more than it succeeds at, it is Gaga and it works, she was born that way

She should have called the album First World Problems.

She needs to make smaller albums maybe of about 12 tracks. She has too many ideas, flings them at a wall too see what sticks then it all gets messy. The Fame Monster worked coz she produced 8 high quality pop songs that fitted together well and kept in the theme. She needs to do that for ARTPOP but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

iqGU2gwPPfov6.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The thing about ATRL I don't get is the random setup they have.

Charts: Makes sense
Video's: Ok I get this one too. Though lots of news posted via video.
Music News: There is no news in this forum. Its just a bunch of random threads about specific songs and albums
Celebria: So talking about non music celebs right? Wrong. It does have general celeb discussion but it overlaps massively with the other forums.
Base: Essentially all voting games, polls, and then artist specific threads (like One Direction OT). Not sure what the first two have to do with "base".

Some other stupid ones as well. Games, Your Top 10, Blogs, Lounge......

At the end of the day what it boils down to is that you have to keep clicking through all these lame sub forums to keep up on news. This is complicated by pathetic lag that makes everything take way too long.

Its a mess.

I'm looking forward to their arrival because I know they will be messy and I like hitting the report button

iz4C8EGcyKmqK.gif

You do realize that all of what he said could be applied to Rihanna and the sheer volume of songs she releases right? How is an album a year any different than releasing a bloated album every couple years?

Well except the part of "too many ideas"......but we can replace that with "her management has too many ideas"

godspoken

I never got why people cared about "empowerment" songs. As much as I can be emotionally affected by a song or musician, I never really feel "empowered" by Lady Gaga's songs...Her speeches, on the other hand, have a power that's something like that. All that considered, I feel that it's wrong to label Born This Way, as an piece of work, an empowerment album. Like Marius said, and like Gaga has explained the album many times, the album is about her. While Born This Way the song certainly paints with a broader brush, as do songs like Americano and Bad Kids, all of the songs taken together chronicle Gaga's life and experiences. Note the deliberate lack of features in all seventeen songs, for example, or in particular the placement of Marry the Night and The Edge of Glory as the frame for the album.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I never got why people cared about "empowerment" songs. As much as I can be emotionally affected by a song or musician, I never really feel "empowered" by Lady Gaga's songs...Her speeches, on the other hand, have a power that's something like that. All that considered, I feel that it's wrong to label Born This Way, as an piece of work, an empowerment album. Like Marius said, and like Gaga has explained the album many times, the album is about her. While Born This Way the song certainly paints with a broader brush, as do songs like Americano and Bad Kids, all of the songs taken together chronicle Gaga's life and experiences. Note the deliberate lack of features in all seventeen songs, for example, or in particular the placement of Marry the Night and The Edge of Glory as the frame for the album.

someone new, and he gets it!

welcome!
i2UPQcvDtuUQG.gif

I meant the song, Perrysa's masterpiece. Though the album does indeed radiate youth.

Probably still true....though I am not 100% sold.

It was a big hit for sure but not earth shatteringly big. There have been several youth anthems released in recent years that performed better in sales and on the charts.

botty

Banned
You do realize that all of what he said could be applied to Rihanna and the sheer volume of songs she releases right? How is an album a year any different than releasing a bloated album every couple years?

Well except the part of "too many ideas"......but we can replace that with "her management has too many ideas"

He also called Nicki a rapping clown, yet praises Lil Kim:

BiFPQVg.jpg

and stans for Rihanna, despite her spending an entire era looking like she was ready to hand out happy meals:

kYpeozL.jpg

I mean... ok.
iReI9DtgAN14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom