• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a quote from Clive's memoir: "An artist as unique and individual as Alicia Keys will not be found on American Idol".

But did he lie?

Beyonce's HBO Doc Pulls 1.8 Million Viewers

Original link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-beyonces-hbo-doc-422398

Only the queen. Not to mention that documentary was fucking great. All you silly hoes can keep your Beynis Envy to a minimum. Queen Bey's getting ready to sting 2013 and your allegeric faves.

Happy for her. Good job Bey.

Yeah no, it wasn't.

I don't take anything away from the impressive ratings which do prove that the public IS there for Bey on some level. However, Bey's stans even admit that she is a private person, and even if that is true and it lacked content as a result that does not make the documentary good. The best doc's tell us things we didn't already know and the subject of the doc is shown openly and honestly. That did not happen here. I can think of NO measure by which the documentary was "great".

To be clear I am not calling it bad either, but documentaries are a different beast and there are objective measures of quality that they can be held to.

This is incorrect. What actually makes a great documentary isn't the level of huge reveals, it's the way the subject of the story is framed to the audience, how the production is paced, and the degree of attitude change or attitude reinforcement the story sells to the audience. Some of my favorite documentaries of all time are those that don't really reveal anything stunningly new to me, they are simply well-constructed moments in history that do a fabulous job of doing justice to a figure or event that will stand the test of time because of them.. By those standards, Life is But a Dream is a fantastic fucking documentary, and I'm not gonna humor the idea that a production like that was shitty only because it lacked tea. lol

royalan said:
Beyonce's Documentary Highest Rated Documentary On Network That Rarely Airs Documentaries...News at 11.

Dem numbers though. Pretty damn strong for HBO.

This is incorrect. What actually makes a great documentary isn't the level of huge reveals, it's the way the subject of the story is framed to the audience, how the production is paced, and the degree of attitude change or attitude reinforcement the story sells to the audience. Some of my favorite documentaries of all time are those that don't really reveal anything stunningly new to me, they are simply well-constructed moments in history that do a fabulous job of doing justice to a figure or event that will stand the test of time because of them.. By those standards, Life is But a Dream is a fantastic fucking documentary, and I'm not gonna humor the idea that a production like that was shitty only because it lacked tea. lol

What the point of ANY documentary if there is no new information? Why waste the time and effort? A doc is not a theatrical release whose value is determined by its production and entertainment value.

If I wanted a simple Bio I could read Wikipedia.

Its essentially the equivalent of a USA! USA! USA! 19th century US history documentary that glosses over the negatives and just talks about how great America is. Could it have high production values? Yes. Could it be entertaining? Yes. Its still a worthless documentary.

Fey

Banned
arte ;_______;
apparently canada won't be getting more copies of fire emblem until mid march ;________________________;

and unless the documentary was discussed last night in more detail, i assume no news about the next album was on it?

i would be so pressed if i was a beyawnce stan tbh. you'd think a superbowl performance + appearance at obama's thing + gq + documentary = publicity and promo for the new album/song.

and unless the documentary was discussed last night in more detail, i assume no news about the next album was on it?

There was 0 new or interesting information in the whole thing.

Who knows when the album is coming at this point.

ibocH0ibNTsJJ9.gif

apparently canada won't be getting more copies of fire emblem until mid march ;________________________;
Surely this is punishment for all the unwashed Canadian heathens who purchased the game before it was legally available. SMITE HA, NINTENDO

sorry sis

Artemisia

Banned
What the point of ANY documentary if there is no new information? Why waste the time and effort? A doc is not a theatrical release whose value is determined by its production and entertainment value.

What's old news to you may be new to others. If I read a book on Obama's life and then watched a documentary on the same topic, would it make sense to complain that nothing beyond what I already knew was shown? Is there no value in the documentary because YOU already had knowledge of the subject?

Majmun

The Beynis Envy is enormous in here, lmao.

I really liked the documentary. Some of the footage was new. Bey was portrayed as a passionate, loving, caring, intellectual, fair, ambitious, and a hard working woman. I personally never new she had so much control over her stuff. She came off as a great leader.

I'm glad so many people tuned in to see Bey shine.

What's old news to you may be new to others. If I read a book on Obama's life and then watched a documentary on the same topic, would it make sense to complain that nothing beyond what I already knew was shown? Is there no value in the documentary because YOU already had knowledge of the subject?

I suppose that is a legit argument. However, I don't think it even gave enough good information (whether common knowledge or not) to even satisfy someone who had no idea who Bey was.

At BEST the doc was 'good' (I personally don't think so). There is no way it comes anywhere close to being 'great'.

The Beynis Envy is enormous in here, lmao.

I really liked the documentary. Some of the footage was new. Bey was portrayed as a passionate, loving, caring, intellectual, fair, ambitious, and a hard working woman. I personally never new she had so much control over her stuff. She came off as a great leader.

I'm glad so many people tuned in to see Bey shine.

Thats part of the problem imo. It almost tried to paint her as TOO perfect..... yet everyone knows that people have flaws. None of which were mentioned.

Came off as a bad sales job.

royalan

Its essentially the equivalent of a USA! USA! USA! 19th century US history documentary that glosses over the negatives and just talks about how great America. Could it have high production values? Yes. Could it be entertaining? Yes. Its still a worthless documentary.

I have to agree with this.

The purpose any good documentary is to paint a complete picture of its subject. Life is But A Dream doesn't really do that. It's not that we didn't get any tea with Beyonce, it's that we didn't get much of anything at all. The most expository moments in the entire thing all had to do with 4 (oh, and that shamelessly orchestrated segment on her miscarriage). And really, pimping 4 is more than a little redundant at this point, seeing as that album is 2 years old, she's got a new album dropping this year, and we didn't really get much new insight on 4 either.

As it stands, the documentary was really just a polished, overly-long 4 advertisement.

Trigger

Thats part of the problem imo. It almost tried to paint her as TOO perfect..... yet everyone knows that people have flaws. None of which were mentioned.

You have a point. lol, it did whitewash most of her flaws, but honestly I don't expect any person to create a truly objective documentary about themselves.

It already came out. It's called THE BIBLE. *.*

sjhakjshsalkj

i3t6tIPNkaCJa.gif

Majmun

She said like 3165432 times that she was only human, while people think she's more than that. It was also obvious that the fake pregnancy claims hurt her. And she had a miscarriage and told us about it.

So perfect, huh?

I personally think she told us enough about her private life. I don't need to know more, because I don't care.

royalan

Also, I agree with Waffle (again) in that if you didn't already know Beyonce's life, you wouldn't learn much from the documentary. It hinges on you already being a fan and enjoying the clips while being able to fill in the context blanks yourself.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Remember when about 2/3 of the documentary was dedicated to give sermons about God and life without showing any signs of actually knowing how this world works, and people here are calling her an intellectual
icqUXFZGviN4w.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Only 1.3 million people watched her Oprah episode, half the amount that watched Rihanna's. Guess people knew already that she's boring and fake as fuck and didn't waste their time.

ii7Dt3WcLcvgX.gif

Majmun

Remember when about 2/3 of the documentary was dedicated to give sermons about God and life without showing any signs of actually knowing how this world works, and people here are calling her an intellectual
icqUXFZGviN4w.gif

Are you, like, shading all of the religious poeple?

Majmun

Only 1.3 million people watched her Oprah episode, half the amount that watched Rihanna's. Guess people knew already that she's boring and fake as fuck and didn't waste their time.

ii7Dt3WcLcvgX.gif

Well, Rihanna's episode was about the thing that made her really famous: chris brown's fist

People wanted to know her sad story. Chris Browns impact tbh

You have a point. lol, it did whitewash most of her flaws, but honestly I don't expect any person to create a truly objective documentary about themselves.

Neither did I, but it is possible. You could at least address the controversies and put forward your own position on them. Instead most of them were not even mentioned or were written off.

I guess my problem is with the word "documentary" when being used in conjunction with the project. If it had been sold as a personal autobiography of the 4 era I probably would be a little less critical of the final product.

Also, I agree with Waffle (again) in that if you didn't already know Beyonce's life, you wouldn't learn much from the documentary. It hinges on you already being a fan and enjoying the clips while being able to fill in the context blanks yourself.

Yup.

It fails casuals because it didn't have enough biographical information to really educate the audience.

It fails the fans because it doesn't present ANY significant information that they were not already aware of.

It fails as an documentary because it ignores so many important issues surrounding Bey and her career.

It simply fails.

I personally think she told us enough about her private life. I don't need to know more, because I don't care.

You keep saying this but I don't believe it for a moment. If she had dropped a bunch of new info about herself you would have been lapping it up and praising her. You would not have been here criticizing her for telling us too much.

Never met a stan of any artist who didn't want to know more about their fav.

Artemisia

Banned

ii7Dt3WcLcvgX.gif

Rihanna has Chris Brown to thank for making her an alluring celebrity.

Let's not pretend people gave two shits about her personal life before that.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Are you, like, shading all of the religious poeple?

Most religious people I know dont associate every single little thing to their God because they are aware that their actions have consequences and not everything that occurs in nature has meaning, unlike Beyonce. Can't blame her tho, I dont think she even took high school science.

i4gAig0J2ruSo.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Well, Rihanna's episode was about the thing that made her really famous: chris brown's fist

People wanted to know her sad story. Chris Browns impact tbh

Not you basically admitting that Chris Brown is a more interesting subject than your fave. She even has less impact than a certified flop. Kiiiii

Majmun

You keep saying this but I don't believe it for a moment. If she had dropped a bunch of new info about herself you would have been lapping it up and praising her. You would not have been here criticizing her for telling us too much.

Never met a stan of any artist who didn't want to know more about their fav.

No, really, I don't care.

You seem to like 1D because of their personalities. But I like Bey because of her music.

No, really, I don't care.

You seem to like 1D because of their personalities. But I like Bey because of her music.

Lol trying to change the subject it seems. How desperate. I never once said that I only like 1D because of their personalities. I DID mention that their personalities are a part of their appeal. I have always maintained that I can never stan an artist, no matter how much I like them personally, without falling in love with their music first.

Keep trying to convince us you don't care about Bey outside of her music though. We will keep being completely aware that it is highly unlikely.

The hyperbole here is crazy. You guys are acting like she was literally saying "BUY 4 BUY 4" for 90 minutes. There was obviously recording sessions, choreo and concert footage of 4 music (which were all very interesting), but there was plenty of footage of her life and her family. The scenes of her dinners and vacations with Jay-Z, the scenes of her nephew, the family dinner, her relationship with her father etc.

It was a very personal documentary. What more did you really expect?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Stefan™;47942409 said:
That doesn't seem to be the case for Taylor.

The slut-shaming has been getting out of hand.

Umm thats her fault, Tayloose should stop reminding us with every performance that she has opened her legs for several guys now

Maybe perform a song that is not about a relationship
ibgS3H3A0sblnu.gif

royalan

How a good documentary would play out a miscarriage reveal:

Beyonce: Bla Bla Bla miscarriage

Cut to Mama Tina:

"That was such a hard time for our family. Beyonce was so distraught..."

Cut to Jay Z:

"I...I had no words Bla Bla Bla"

Mix in some footage of Bey around the time of the miscarriage.

How it played out on Life is But a Dream:

Beyonce: I had a miscarriage...and it inspired me to write this song.

Cue footage of Bey looking sad in the studio while song play in the background.

Now, I'm not making light of Bey having a miscarriage, but she chose to introduce this info in the documentary. And, from a pure direction standpoint, here was a real personal moment that could have been used to humanize her, and give people some real insight into her life and understand her motivations...and instead she uses it to not-so-subtly combat the belief that she doesn't write her songs.

Artemisia

Banned
It just so happens that 4 flopped and that it was her most recent album. It only makes sense that recording footage from that album would be used.

No one would have said it was a 4 advert if 4 ended up selling 5 million copies.

Majmun

The hyperbole here is crazy. You guys are acting like she was literally saying "BUY 4 BUY 4" for 90 minutes. There was obviously recording sessions, choreo and concert footage of 4 music (which were all very interesting), but there was plenty of footage of her life and her family. The scenes of her dinners and vacations with Jay-Z, the scenes of her nephew, the family dinner, her relationship with her father etc.

It was a very personal documentary. What more did you really expect?

FAMILY RELATIONS AND VIDEOS AREN'T PERSONAL ENOUGH

They are so unique and refreshing!
smile.png

Never said they were unique or refreshing. I like them and their music. Why is that hard to understand?

Stefan™;47942409 said:
That doesn't seem to be the case for Taylor.

The slut-shaming has been getting out of hand.

TBH I love Taylor. I occasionally dragged her after Haylor but that was more for sport than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom