• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible news of interest for Persona fans coming this Friday [up: P4G Animation]

SEGA milking the IP for all its worth I see.

This really wasn't needed. A P3 anime would have been a million times better but they instead made it into 4 movies. I hope its not going to be 24 episodes.

LX_Theo

Banned
i wonder if they'll go with the Fsteak scene in the anime.. i completely forgot about that until i saw marie again in this trailer.
persona-5-now-with-more-fsteak.jpg

Was that scene with Marie specific to the localization? Or was it originally like that in The Golden?

sensui-tomo

Was that scene with Marie specific to the localization? Or was it originally like that in The Golden?

"Marie makes a reference to Hiimdaisy's Persona 4 comics saying "Fsteak", offering it as an alternate shortening of "beefsteak". Despite the shout out, the line is a legitimate, more literal translation of the original Japanese dialogue in which Marie comments that 'bifuteki' should be called 'fusuteki'"

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH THAT EPISODE WAS AWESOME. But more seriously, that was to encapsulate pretty much all the summer social links. I guess you could've just kept the episode from Yu's perspective but meh. It still feels like cramming more material in would further hurt the integrity of the storyline, even if they did remove "superfluous" material (which I honestly don't think is superfluous because it's new material separate from the game).

Not denying that it was the best episode in the series, but the problem is that focus should have applied to the whole series rather than 1 episode. If removing the filler like that is required to give enough time to the main plot then I'd rather they did that. Without going to full OVA length for each episode in the series there is simply no way they can do justice to both the plot and social aspects of Persona 4 with the total runtime available.

Taruranto

SEGA milking the IP for all its worth I see.

This really wasn't needed. A P3 anime would have been a million times better but they instead made it into 4 movies. I hope its not going to be 24 episodes.

I'm not sure how much we can pin this on SEGA given how much Atlus itself was devoted to milk P4 before the buy.

Who wanted this
Where's my Nocturne adaptation
On second thought after watching the DeSu2 adaptation, just stop.

Gee maybe Street Fighter II and Resident Evil 4

pls, RE4 only has 4 versions of the same game, nothing compared to the Persona 4 empire

don't feel like looking up SF2, its probably really up there on the milk scale though

DVCY201

So, is it 24+ episodes? Or are we just talking about OVA's here?

If it's the former, then I think that's a complete waste. I love Persona 4, but they're is no way I would've bought 2 animes! Thankfully, if P4G gets localized and the quality is far, far better then I may pick it up.

arhra

I hope they work with Studio 4C again at some point. Catherine's cutscenes looked legitimately brilliant.

Maybe for Persona 5: The Animation, hmm? ;)

4C don't really do TV anime. At least, not as the lead studio. Just look at their credits list. Their Animation Production credits are almost exclusively on movies and OVAs, with the TV series only being production assistance/2nd key/in-betweening/etc.

Silky

Banned
Gee maybe Street Fighter II and Resident Evil 4

Persona 4
Persona 4 The Arena
Persona 4 Dancing All Night
Persona 4: The Golden.
Persona 4: The Animation
Persona 4: The Golden: The Animation
Persona 4: The Ultimax

Five games. 2 animus

Then there's Persona 3:

Persona 3
Persona 3 FES
Persona 3 Portable
Persona 3 Film 1
Persona 3 Film 2

3 games. 2 films.

In contrast, here's Final Fantasy VII--an actual game comparable to P4's popularity. (SFII's updates were justifiable because there were no other way to update balancing patches at the time.)

FFVII
FFVII: Crisis Core
FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus
FFVII: Advent Children
FFVII: Before Crisis
FFVII: Last Order

Added with the phenomenal amount of hype, merchandising, etc. that the game has behind it, this is par for the course for popular JRPGs.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm not speaking about the game in regards to it's /game/ quality, moreover on it's branding/marketing quality. People eat up Persona both here and there as much as they do with FFVII.

What I meant is, the audience for P4 stuff isn't nearly as big as it was/is for FF7.

Shojx

Ack, I am so ready for Atlus to move on from Persona 4.

I mean seriously, it already has a plethora of games, an anime (plus a movie that condenses said anime), and now ANOTHER anime? If it's based on P4G, are we going to have to sit through what is primarily the same story again?

I mean, I enjoyed Persona 4, and I'll probably still watch / enjoy this new anime, but how much longer are they going to keep running with the Persona 4 crew? When I first played P4 years ago, I never thought I'd grow tired of seeing its cast but it's starting to happen...

If it has to be Persona, I think an anime involving the first or second game would be a nice change. But nope, more Persona 4. *sigh*

...I wonder if it'll tie into the P4A games?
I hope not, I'm not a fan of what the first game made of the P3 cast...

Gamerloid

Another anime? It'll only be worth while if they start from the beginning and make it a 52 episode series so they don't have to rush through things.

If they're not doing this and they have time to make amines, how about P2? I don't think the series started with Persona 3.

Oh god. That video was ridiculous. It's beyond words. Never change, Japan.

It's not that this has become bonkers Persona 4 milking (but milking, yes), it's that it's all being rushed right-freaking-now. Atlus has collectively had 6 years to work on P4 stuff and were probably holding a ton of it because of their corporate situation the past 2-3. Once the Sega bit was final they realized they have to dump all of it out ASAP before Persona 5 and thus we get this. I love me my P4 but a complete redo of the anime is pretty ridiculous. It's relatively recent and the quality is already fairly high.

But, man. Never change, Japan. Seriously. They need to rent out that Teddie to other companies so they can lighten up their meetings and presentations by molesting him a bit. Additional revenue streams!

jzbluz

Another anime? It'll only be worth while if they start from the beginning and make it a 52 episode series so they don't have to rush through things.

If they're not doing this and they have time to make amines, how about P2? I don't think the series started with Persona 3.

P2 would make a great anime since it's the most linear and it doesn't have sl, but the story is still great.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GIVRYSu7Zo

duckroll

Wow, can't believe they're really milking Persona 4 with yet-another-anime. I guess this really is the year of Persona. Lololololol.

bonercop

I...what? They're going to do another anime of the same shit?

This isn't like they're going to take another crack animating some old series with a more appealing art style -- P4A was a year ago.

FluxWaveZ

It's not that this has become bonkers Persona 4 milking (but milking, yes), it's that it's all being rushed right-freaking-now. Atlus has collectively had 6 years to work on P4 stuff and were probably holding a ton of it because of their corporate situation the past 2-3. Once the Sega bit was final they realized they have to dump all of it out ASAP before Persona 5 and thus we get this. I love me my P4 but a complete redo of the anime is pretty ridiculous. It's relatively recent and the quality is already fairly high.

That sounds pretty plausible, at least in terms of them rushing all of these projects out before P5 becomes manifest as that would be the new hotness and all of this media expansion revolving around P3 and P4 would lose some of its relevance.

And people thought The Amazing Spider-Man was too soon of a reboot.

I mean, ok:

1. Persona 4 is cool
2. The original anime was hot trash

...but still.

duckroll

And people thought The Amazing Spider-Man was too soon of a reboot.

I mean, ok:

1. Persona 4 is cool
2. The original anime was hot trash

...but still.

It's still more or less the same people making it though, which makes it even stranger. Kishi is "chief director" now, Taguchi directed a bunch of important episodes in the original series and he directed the second P3 film, and moving studios from AIC to A-1 Pictures is the same thing they did between the first and second P3 movies, since I think AIC is semi-dead now.

If they thought the first series was bad, why would they get the same guys back to do a remake? Lol.

Zafir

Jeez. Just when I thought they couldn't possibly milk it any more, they manage it, lol.

As good as Persona 4 was, move on already!

ZenTzen

just why, do we really need an anime that hads nothing besides one character

A P2 or P1 anime would be so much better, even something P5 related or P4Arena

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
To echo the recent Agents of Shield episode: huh?

I hope that they at least stop coloring every single character with the same "skin tone to slightly redder skin tone" basic gradient.

arhra

I...what? They're going to do another anime of the same shit?

This isn't like they're going to take another crack animating some old series with a more appealing art style -- P4A was a year ago.

Over two years ago, actually (started airing in Oct '11, finished in Mar '12).

But yeah, this does seem pretty goddamn gratuitous nonetheless.

wrowa

I wouldn't necessarily be against a Persona 4 anime that's actually, you know, good. But the same people being involved with this one isn't exactly making me feel hopeful about its quality... What a strange decision, anyway.

I don't mind more p4. Im just not at all into multi media spin off. I have zero interest into fighting games so I'm missing the canon p4A story and I dont own a 3ds so I will miss pQ... If only they could stick to the original console (or release both on 3ds and vita...)

I would buy p4- 2 so hard. I loved these characters and im still not full of persona as 3 got me rage quitting so I'm looking for me stuff I enjoy waiting for p3 animation

Top Bottom