• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

post pics of shitty controllers

bhzll3.png

Might as well post this monstrosity: the Bandai Apple Pippin controller.

Branduil

Combichristoffersen said:
How is it harder? You hold the controller the same way regardless of whether you're using the d-pad or the analogue sticks.
Your thumb rests naturally on the d-pad. You have to bend your thumb to reach the analog.

WillyFive

How is it harder? You hold the controller the same way regardless of whether you're using the d-pad or the analogue sticks.

No, your thumb needed to go out and reach the analog stick, while it would rest naturally on the D-Pad.

On the N64 controller, no matter which method you chose, your thumb would naturally go over their respective control methods.

You actually have to open your hand more to properly play the Dual Shock with modern games (having your fingers on both the analog stick and the shoulder buttons).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Branduil said:
Your thumb rests naturally on the d-pad. You have to bend your thumb to reach the analog.

I don't know what you'd refer to as bent, but I don't think my thumb looks all that bent while holding the left analog stick..

DSC00107Small.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
minor effort said:
You know, I noticed that I made that mistake too immediately after posting, but I was just too lazy to wait the sixty seconds to edit my post. I haven't had any coffee yet this morning.

There is no time restriction on editing posts.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I don't know what you'd refer to as bent, but I don't think my thumb looks all that bent while holding the left analog stick..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/Stefansawad/DSC00107Small.jpg[.IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.manorlakelabradoodles.com/fimages/Image/NAIL%20CLIPPERS.jpg

Branduil said:
I despise the Dual Shock design. It wasn't even designed to have analog sticks, they just added them on to their original PS1 design. It's 2010 and Sony is still using a 15-year-old controller design that was never originally intended for analog control. The DS2 was particularly bad because

1)They no longer had a valid excuse not to switch the D-Pad and Analog placement.

2)The analog buttons were useless. It was particularly annoying that they still weren't using real analog triggers when all other systems that gen had them.

Thank you, I'm glad someone else shares my opinion on the Dualshock. The basic PS controller was poor to start with and those analog sticks were a tacked on stop-gap measure. It should have been killed at the end of the PS1 era, but since everyone is so adverse to change and raged against the banana controller we'll probably be stuck with it until the end of time.

The ergonomics are poor, the analog sticks are badly placed and loose, the D-pad is stiff and should not be in pride of place and the new L2/R2 buttons are downright atrocious. The only reason it is so revered is because people have had 13+ years to get used to it's hand mangling properties.

Hey guys, you know why Sony still hasn't switched the position of the D-pad and left stick? BECAUSE NOBODY FUCKING WANTS THEM TO!

Ask yourself a simple question. If the left stick on a 360 controller in the better position, why isn't the right stick in the same position? Why is one stick up high and one stick low? If being up high is ergonomically superior, WHY AREN'T BOTH STICKS LIKE THAT?

edit: OMG dude, cut your nails.

WillyFive

weekend_warrior said:
Hey guys, you know why Sony still hasn't switched the position of the D-pad and left stick? BECAUSE NOBODY FUCKING WANTS THEM TO!

Ask yourself a simple question. If the left stick on a 360 controller in the better position, why isn't the right stick in the same position? Why is one stick up high and one stick low? If being up high is ergonomically superior, WHY AREN'T BOTH STICKS LIKE THAT?

Because in modern games, you use an analog stick and face buttons.

You don't use the analog stick to jump, or talk to people, or activate a switch. You use it for functions like walking or looking.

With a Dual Shock, you are literally using secondary inputs for primary game functions. Imagine using the Num Pad for using the mouse, just because it is right next to the keyboard.

Gomu Gomu

weekend_warrior said:

Surely, you can't be serious?
You realize there are four buttons on the left side, don't you? That means it's way more efficient and easier to put the right thumb stick at the bottom.

weekend_warrior said:

Because outside of FPS games the right analog stick is mostly used for camera control, and if the game has a decent camera you should hardly need it. The D-pad is also rarely used for more than minor functions like weapon changing or taunts.

The left analog stick and buttons are the primary control method and should be treated as such.

Azerach

Banned
Willy105 said:
Because in modern games, you use an analog stick and face buttons.

You don't use the analog stick to jump, or talk to people, or activate a switch. You use it for functions like walking or looking.

With a Dual Shock, you are literally using secondary inputs for primary game functions. Imagine using the Num Pad for using the mouse, just because it is right next to the keyboard.

actions like jump, reload etc. are secondary functions. moving and aiming is the primary control which you will rely 95% of the time.

Personally i don't have any problems with a DS3, my thumbs go naturally on the sticks... I guess iäm a freak on Neogaf because i have opposable thums *eyeroll at MS paint mock up* :lol

Slayer-33 said:
satcontth.jpg

One to the right :lol

Wrong thread. This is about bad controllers. Not THE BEST SINGLE-STICK ANALOG CONTROLLER EVER MADE. :D

Granted it's pretty ugly looking, but it's wonderful to hold and to use. I don't know how they went from that to the hand cramping DC controller.

Azerach said:
actions like jump, reload etc. are secondary functions. moving and aiming is the primary control which you will rely 95% of the time.

Personally i don't have any problems with a DS3, my thumbs go naturally on the sticks... I guess iäm a freak on Neogaf because i have opposable thums *eyeroll at MS paint mock up* :lol

I actually prefer the ds3 for fps. Since in those games you're primarily using both analog sticks and the shoulder buttons. So having the two sticks asymmetrical feels unnatural to me. And while the 360's trigger seems perfect for a shooter, I play better with a flat trigger button like R1.

Regarding the gamecube controller, I think it was fantastic. Very ergonomic. But one huge problem: the analog stick. Why couldn't it be padded like the dual shock? After long sessions of smash bros my left thumb was always so sore.

Sethos

Banned
People who post the 360 controller as 'shitty' controller must be either;

1) Extremely inexperienced in gaming, probably about 14-15 years old and the 360 being their first console

2) Looking for attention

3) Have some crummy mutant hands

Link Man

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Regarding the gamecube controller, I think it was fantastic. Very ergonomic. But one huge problem: the analog stick. Why couldn't it be padded like the dual shock? After long sessions of smash bros my left thumb was always so sore.
It was padded. You don't want to try using a GCN controller with no padding.

Azerach said:

I must be a freak too because where my thumb protrudes from my hand it rests naturally on the stick for the DS3 and 360 pad. I guess for most people the thumb protrudes from the middle finger because thats' the only way I can understand how the using the left stick would be difficult.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Willy105 said:
Here's a quick mockup of what I mean:

1310842-hand.png
21acrgg.jpg

you're right, that is pretty uncomfortable.

why are you holding the pad like its a coffee mug? let the handles rest on your little and ring fingers and good things will follow.

Quasar

mave198 said:
You are absolutely fuckin right about the 2600 controller.

I would die constantly in Yars Revenge and Missle Command because the rubber sheath at one point would slide up off of the stick.

Weird. All the 2600 controllers we used lasted for fucking ever. They came through the 2600 era then got heavily used on the C64, even surviving Epyx sport games marathons.

Though not as epic as my Wico controller (where you switch out multiple handle types) which still works as advertised now.

Branduil

This is a silly debate. The D-Pad/Face buttons are where most people's thumbs will naturally rest. Sony specifically designed it that way. How do I know that? Because that's where the buttons were on the original PS1 controller, which is what the dual shock is based on. If the sticks were where your thumbs were supposed to naturally rest then the original PS1 controller would have had the D-Pad and buttons there.

Pandaman said:
21acrgg.jpg

you're right, that is pretty uncomfortable.

why are you holding the pad like its a coffee mug? let the handles rest on your little and ring fingers and good things will follow.

i think the underlying issue here is the overall size of the controller. PS controllers were initially designed for asian customers, resulting in smaller controllers. stick placement might not be a problem if the controller was a bit bigger.

Sethos

Banned
The Playstation line of controller definitely feels like it was made for small hands. When I was a little lad, the thing was brilliant and now, my hands cramp up after 30 minutes of use.

What still puzzles me, the controller design is over 10 years old yet they managed to make it WORSE this time around? The downward sloping shoulder buttons as standard ... Who the hell at the Sony development division thought of that?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Where's that GIF of the guy using the dual shock and it falls out of his hands?

Azerach

Banned
Branduil said:
This is a silly debate. The D-Pad/Face buttons are where most people's thumbs will naturally rest. Sony specifically designed it that way. How do I know that? Because that's where the buttons were on the original PS1 controller, which is what the dual shock is based on. If the sticks were where your thumbs were supposed to naturally rest then the original PS1 controller would have had the D-Pad and buttons there.

But with the later dual analogue controllers they redesigned the handles. I guess that was to accommodate for the different style you need to hold the controller to use the analogue sticks, instead of gripping the handles with the palm of your hand you let it rest on your fingers.

Andrex said:
Where's that GIF of the guy using the dual shock and it falls out of his hands?
ps3.gif

dny13l.jpg

3347rdw.jpg

The Ascii Sphere controller. It was horrendous. The "sphere" snapped right off after about 3 uses. But it was hilarious to see my friends trying to use it in Colin McRae 2.

The controller also came with a tech demo so that you could learn how to use the ball. It was near impossible to use it. Worst controller I've ever used by far. The people who mention the Dual Shock, 360 controller or GC controller really need to try an actual shitty controller.

ds3.gif

Yeah the dualshock can get a little small sometimes, but for the left stick i like it when it sits under the joint of my thumb. This way when, most of the time, its being used by constantly pressing in a direction to move, it wont slip off.

The right stick thats pretty much used for only aiming i do with my fingertip since the right thumb needs to move constantly to the facebuttons too.

Aaanyways, just wanted to give my thoughts on it. Good controller! :D

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
minor effort said:
800px-PSP_Browser.jpg

Sony has had the worst d-pad design, and they've had it since 1995. Stiff and uncomfortable, it's terrible for 2D shooters and 2D fighters. I know it's their trademark design, but it really isn't very good.

Now, on Sony consoles, I can always replace a Dual Shock with other options for games: joysticks, ASCII pads, etc. But with the PSP you're pretty much stuck with it. And the lousy d-pad truly hampers my enjoyment of the system. I'm not able to enjoy any 2D fighters on the system because of it. 2D shooters suffer, too.

Sony's d-pad needs a redesign so badly.

Sony raised the d-pad for it a long time ago, it's basically perfect now.
Besides, you could always use this on it for older PSP models:
psp_sfzero3pad_02.jpg

outsidah

mr stroke said:
you go over to a friends house and every one argues about who gets stuck with the shitty 3rd party controller like-

14e1d78.jpg

or if anyone remembers the hidious Capcom pad

OMG I had that thing... lol so horrible

Branduil said:

So you're saying if Sony thought the current position of the sticks was the "primary" input position then the orginal PS controller would have looked like this? That makes a lot of sense. :rollseyes:

2vu0i2e.jpg

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
weekend_warrior said:
So you're saying if Sony thought the current position of the sticks was the "primary" input position then the orginal PS controller would have looked like this? That makes a lot of sense. :rollseyes:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vu0i2e.jpg[/QUOTE]
the original ps1 controller had different handles than the later analog controller.

even if it didn't... :lol

JRW

I saw this thread and immediately thought of this joystick, I dug it out of the closet just for you guys lol.

It had a "ball" on it as the joystick but it didn't have rolling trackball movement, instead it would 'click' up down left or right and oh man it was terrible. I remember we tried to use it with C64's Track & Field and had a good laugh.

Roklan_Joystick.JPG

bon

While it's cool to know I'm not the only one who dislikes the Dual Shock, this is a "shitty" controller thread, not a "mediocre and slightly outdated" controller thread.

LCfiner

AndyMoogle said:
dny13l.jpg

3347rdw.jpg

The Ascii Sphere controller. It was horrendous. The "sphere" snapped right off after about 3 uses. But it was hilarious to see my friends trying to use it in Colin McRae 2.

The controller also came with a tech demo so that you could learn how to use the ball. It was near impossible to use it. Worst controller I've ever used by far. The people who mention the Dual Shock, 360 controller or GC controller really need to try an actual shitty controller.

looks like the controller developed a goiter

Branduil

mr stroke said:
Before the PC had awesome 360 pad support they probably had the worst 3rd party trash out there

if anyone remembers the crap that Gravis used to make

sfib1u.jpg

lb8g1.jpg

why was there a screw in joystick?
I had that thing. The joystick broke while it was screwed in with the screw section still inside so there was no way to get it out. The buttons were stiff and unresponsive.

Top Bottom