• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your favorite GAF tips/tricks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

Number45 said:
Hidden text

^^^ Tested using the button rather than just the email tags.

Hmm, perhaps that doesn't work any more?
Yeah, I guess that functionality was removed at some point then. Anyone know what the
Code:
 tags do?

jett

D-Member
Clicking the orange GAF logo to the left of a thread with unread posts will take you directly to the last post in the thread. I didn't know about this handy little feature until today, which is partly what inspired me to make this thread.

This is actually supposed to take you to the last unread post(much more useful), but the forum has been borked for years now.

ScOULaris

Griffith said:
The hidden text thing still works.

It's [/email*] Just remove the *

Okay, cool. I'll add it to the OP. Everyone should know how to protect things from the filthy masses of lurkers banging at the gates.

jett said:
This is actually supposed to take you to the last unread post(much more useful), but the forum has been borked for years now.
Yeah, I know. Even in its current form, however, I still find it handy. Saves me a key press (the End key) since I'm pretty much always trying to get to the bottom of the last page.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Are we not allowed to mention skins? re:GAF is amazing and I will never go back.

Two more great scripts to add with it not mentioned in the OP:
Post Image Rescale which is fantastic in threads like the kpop fanboying or PC screenshot thread.

Block Individual Avatars which is not as needed since we disabled animated ones, but still good sometimes.

Oh, and sometimes google search still doesn't do well enough as you need if you leave it to the site in general. If you have a massive thread you want to search through, you can put the URL of a specific thread and google will search every page of only that thread.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ScOULaris said:
Anyone know what the
Code:
 tags do?[/QUOTE]
[CODE]    spaces
      are
        not
          ignored.

You could mention the hidden commands like [ strike ] and [ highlight ]

Pro Tip: Follow the rules and you won't get banned.

ScOULaris

Hm. I guess I have seen those code boxes on other vBulletin forums before. Never seen it used here though.

Keep the tips coming, guys. I'm updating the OP as we go. Just added user styles to the OP.

For some reason I often hear about people saying that when you are banned you can just clear your cookies to bypass the banned message screen. But I was recently banned for a longer period for the first time, and you don't need to clear all cookies as you can just click LOG OUT... I guess most people miss it for some reason.

banndlog.jpg

ScOULaris

Metroid Killer said:
Sure, it wasn't meant to go to the OP, but just wanted to inform all of the users who lack common sense :p
The first time I was banned, I didn't realize that it mentions when the ban will be lifted. I also didn't know that there was such a thing as a temporary ban, so I was freaking out thinking that I was perma-banned.

It wasn't until someone mentioned this to me on my YouTube page that I found out I was only banned for a month. Then there was much rejoicing.

Stubo

Came in here curious, leaving with YouTube me again and Quick Quote, Reply, and Edit.

This changes EVERYTHING!

ScOULaris

Just bumping this thread to acknowledge that some of the user scripts and Chrome extensions have been broken by the recent GAF update. Their developers will hopefully update them accordingly in the near future, but you are encouraged to disable malfunctioning extensions and scripts until that happens.

Both the Quick Reply extension and the Quick Quote, Reply, Edit script don't work properly at the moment.

The Live Thread Greasemonkey script comes up withe following error when I try to install it:

"Script could not be installed TypeError: lines is null"

Any help?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The memberlist trick I mentioned doesn't work anymore because memberlist was apparently disabled. CURSES

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I have this addon for Firefox, and I feel like it's essential to quickly open all those threads that tend to pile up in User CP: Multi Links

Install it. Restart FF.
Go to its settings (Extras -> Add-ons -> Multi Links -> Settings).
Under "General":
— Key for multiple selection: Shift
— Select only when this key is pressed: YES
— Maximum number of links: 40 (40 seems to be a reasonable number of threads to open at the same time, right?)
Under "Advanced":
— Under "Right mouse button": No action
— Under "Middle mouse button": No action
— Under "Left mouse button": Open in new tabs

Use it like so:
— Go to User CP, your list of subscriptions is shown
— Scroll to the bottom
— Hold Shift
— Under the orange circle
thread_new.gif
for the thread at the bottom, click-and-hold the left mouse button
— Drag up until all orange circles for all threads in the list are highlighted (only the circles though!)
— Release left mouse button and Shift
— Tadaa, all those threads open in new tabs. Yay!

Note: Sometimes, it takes a while for Firefox to get responsive again. Shouldn't be an issue though.

ScOULaris

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just came across a new trick that I'd like to share.

Apparently you can still avatar quote easily without having to re-host the image. All you have to do is right-click on the avatar, select "Copy Image URL" (in Google Chrome), and then paste that URL into your message with tags wrapped around it.

Even though the URL is for a php script, it will still show up properly as an image in your post.

[IMG]http://asset3.neogaf.com/forum/image.php?u=57953&dateline=1322006872

See? Works like a charm.

Not sorry to bump?
plz dont ban me =/

Just changed my default browser and spent a good work hour looking for good scripts. I finally stumbled across this thread and it actually helped me more than Google.

Subbed and many thanks GAF Golders.

Az

Not sure if posted already.

Searching for your username + show posts, will show you who quoted you.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The memberlist tidbit I'd mentioned previously no longer works. Looks like the powers that be didn't like having it publicly available and it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom